• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Firestorm

Go is the greatest thing to happen to Pokemon since online play. Ironically given that statement, this game better only have local trading or I'm going to be really disappointed. Online trading would ruin so much of the fun.

Just got back from Evo and even though I knew there would be different Pokemon that were common/rare in Vegas it was just so mindblowing to see all these Meowth and Growlithe running around and seeing Sandshrew and Diglett for the first time. My office is by the water so in Vancouver I have had Pokemon like Squirtle and Slowpoke wander in. The gyms in Vancouver are dominated by Lapras while in Vegas it was Arcanine.

I'll be in Europe later this year for my cousin's wedding and gotta stock up on Tauros before going and catch as many Mr Mime there as I can to bring back if trading is local.

Hi Pokegaf!

Before today I'd literally never encountered a Shiny in game (admittedly, I did skip gens 4/5 due to being a dumb teenager) and today I ran into a Shiny Graveler, freaked out, caught it, and then less than an hour later I ran into a Shiny Durant and also caught it, which was super crazy. I'm not a huge fan of either mon but I'm still pretty stoked!

On the note of the gens I skipped, a local used games place has pretty much all of the gen 4 games available and I was thinking about picking them up but I wasn't sure if going back would be worth it. Is it worth going back to any of them and if so, which should I play? I didn't play very much of Gen 2 so HGSS would be a mostly new experience for me.

Durden77

Ok, so here are some questions I always have when considering being a mew Pokemon game, this time concerning Sun and Moon...

Will these games together have ALL the Pokemon in them up until now? I don't even know how many the fuck that is but will it?

Will I miss out on shit if I don't still have Y? Would I have been able to transfer my Pokemon or something? Pokemon games have lead me to believe people could bring there Pokemom with them since Red and Blue or some shit. I never know how this works.

Ok, so here are some questions I always have when considering being a mew Pokemon game, this time concerning Sun and Moon...

Will these games together have ALL the Pokemon in them up until now? I don't even know how many the fuck that is but will it?

Will I miss out on shit if I don't still have Y? Would I have been able to transfer my Pokemon or something? Pokemon games have lead me to believe people could bring there Pokemom with them since Red and Blue or some shit. I never know how this works.
We don't know how many Pokemon will be obtainable in Sun/Moon, but being that this is the 20th Anniversary, it'll be safe to assume that almost every Pokemon will make an appearance. Either during the story, or in some kind of post-game activities. There were only a few Pokemon that couldn't be obtained in X/Y, mostly previous starters, certain legendaries, and mythical Pokemon. Mythical Pokemon won't be available in S/M either, since they are [mostly] exclusively obtainable through promotions and events. That being said, any Pokemon you can't get in S/M will probably be available to trade in the GTS (online trading system) to help fill up your national Pokedex. There are currently 721 pokemon.

You would have been able to transfer your Pokemon from any games as far back as Pokemon Black/White through the Poke Transporter/PokeBank, which is an online subscription based service that allows you to put your Pokemon in an online PC that can be accessed across different games. If you have the VC Red/Blue you'll be able to transfer the Pokemon to Sun/Moon, too. I'm not sure what you mean by missing out by not having Y. As usual, the story will be different, and anything introduced in X/Y that will be brought back for Sun/Moon will be re-introduced during gameplay. If you are solely speaking about Pokemon, then yeah, 72 new pokes were introduced during that generation.

According to that wannabe magician guy with the Exeggcute, Las Vegas exists in the Pokeverse.

Uh oh, Charmander just evolved into a little bitch.

I'm sucked in. PGO is fun, but I want more. I need your help.

I only ever played the OG Pokémon GB games (Blue, Red, Yellow), and nothing else. I really have the urge to play one, but would like something with color and a bit updated.

What game + system (ex. Crystal + DS) is going to be the most similar to the OG games and not crazy. Or are the newest ones (X, Y, etc.) a good place to start?

I don't want to pay collector values for games/systems if I can avoid it. Would like to do it reasonably priced.

WPS

I'm sucked in. PGO is fun, but I want more. I need your help.

I only ever played the OG Pokémon GB games (Blue, Red, Yellow), and nothing else. I really have the urge to play one, but would like something with color and a bit updated.

What game + system (ex. Crystal + DS) is going to be the most similar to the OG games and not crazy. Or are the newest ones (X, Y, etc.) a good place to start?

I don't want to pay collector values for games/systems if I can avoid it. Would like to do it reasonably priced.

HGSS is the updated version of GSC, which came straight after RBY and doesn't introduce too many new mechanics or monsters at once. It is however very expensive.

XY does introduce a ton of new mechanics and monsters at once, but it still puts a lot of effort into having the old monsters you already know in the spotlight (in fact, I feel both games are far too reliant on the original RBY monsters to the detriment of new ones). It's also far easier to find that HGSS these days.

Durden77

We don't know how many Pokemon will be obtainable in Sun/Moon, but being that this is the 20th Anniversary, it'll be safe to assume that almost every Pokemon will make an appearance. Either during the story, or in some kind of post-game activities. There were only a few Pokemon that couldn't be obtained in X/Y, mostly previous starters, certain legendaries, and mythical Pokemon. Mythical Pokemon won't be available in S/M either, since they are [mostly] exclusively obtainable through promotions and events. That being said, any Pokemon you can't get in S/M will probably be available to trade in the GTS (online trading system) to help fill up your national Pokedex. There are currently 721 pokemon.

You would have been able to transfer your Pokemon from any games as far back as Pokemon Black/White through the Poke Transporter/PokeBank, which is an online subscription based service that allows you to put your Pokemon in an online PC that can be accessed across different games. If you have the VC Red/Blue you'll be able to transfer the Pokemon to Sun/Moon, too. I'm not sure what you mean by missing out by not having Y. As usual, the story will be different, and anything introduced in X/Y that will be brought back for Sun/Moon will be re-introduced during gameplay. If you are solely speaking about Pokemon, then yeah, 72 new pokes were introduced during that generation.

Thanks for all the info! No I definitely played the shit out of X on release, but whenever I'm ready to get a new Pokemon game I never have the previous one any more (had to sell my 3DS and all it's games a while back cuz life sucks) and I always feel like I'm "missing out" on shit or something. Like I wouldn't be able to catch Zygardne or whatever his name is in Sun and Moon if I didn't have X or something. I saw something on the video revealing his different forms showing the boxes of the old games so I didn't know if you needed those to access that or something.

But usually they're never as interconnected as I think. I'm definitely going to get this one, I just want all the content. As long as I am able to actually catch them all in some form or another, I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the info! No I definitely played the shit out of X on release, but whenever I'm ready to get a new Pokemon game I never have the previous one any more (had to sell my 3DS and all it's games a while back cuz life sucks) and I always feel like I'm "missing out" on shit or something. Like I wouldn't be able to catch Zygardne or whatever his name is in Sun and Moon if I didn't have X or something. I saw something on the video revealing his different forms showing the boxes of the old games so I didn't know if you needed those to access that or something.

But usually they're never as interconnected as I think. I'm definitely going to get this one, I just want all the content. As long as I am able to actually catch them all in some form or another, I'll be happy.
Oh yeah, I don't think you have any worries there. I am sure there will be a way to obtain Zygarde in Sun/Moon, whether it be post-game or through some kind of out of game event/promotion. There was nothing in Y that wasn't in X except for exclusive Pokemon, which is a consistent throughout the series.

Durden77

Oh yeah, I don't think you have any worries there. I am sure there will be a way to obtain Zygarde in Sun/Moon, whether it be post-game or through some kind of out of game event/promotion. There was nothing in Y that wasn't in X except for exclusive Pokemon, which is a consistent throughout the series.

Ok cool. I mean I know realistically I'm probably not going to catch them all, but it's nice to dream.

And yeah of course about the different versions. Extra excites about that this time because I'm planning on getting myself and my girlfriend a 2DS with each our own version. Is there any word on New 3DS only capabilities or will I be fine with the 2DS?

Trying to stay hopeful but man ... many of these new Pokemon look ugly as fuck to me.

Hoping that the starts and the Rock dog turn out good.

Hyper training...

I am crying...
So many tears...
Me too.

I can finally fix my 31/3/31/31/31/31 shiny Jolly Blitzle. Like oh my god that was such a fucking troll.

Of course, an SM edition of the pentagon rule seems to be in the works so I'm gonna have to get a lot of mons in SM. It'll probably be a lot easier to just rebreed those with my pseudo-flawless mons than leveling up dozens of critters to level 100 and then getting enough bottle caps.

Kyzer

Banned
So, given that Ohmori is working on a whole new generation, I really hope its not because they need Gen 8 on Nx asap and more because they want it to be a huge jump and want to work on it for an extra long time

Then again theres the worst case scenario which is Masuda was just busy with Pokemon Go and everything is still the same.

So, given that Ohmori is working on a whole new generation, I really hope its not because they need Gen 8 on Nx asap and more because they want it to be a huge jump and want to work on it for an extra long time

Then again theres the worst case scenario which is Masuda was just busy with Pokemon Go and everything is still the same.

I think TPC care more about install base and don't usually rush to the next piece of hardware. We all know how well there first attempt on new hardware goes anyway lol. Crystal was the only Gen 2 game that required a GBC and Diamond/Pearl released almost two years after the DS came out. Although it will honestly depend on how relevant the 3DS will be in a year or two, since it isn't as popular as the GBA/DS. I was thinking of this as a potential release schedule. It's probably completely off, but I just felt like speculating.

Late 2016 - Sun/Moon (3DS)
2017 - Break
2018 - Either Sun/Moon 2/DX (3DS) or Break
2019 - Gen 8 (NX)

I also had an idea for Gen VIII's cycle but that won't be for a long time, so there's really no point. I do think Sinnoh remakes are a possibility in Gen 8, if demand grows for them like what happened with Hoenn.

I finally realized why so many of the Gen VII Pokemon that they've revealed so far feel off to me. It's hard to describe, but I guess the best way to say it is that most of the designs are very blobby. Anyone get the same feeling?

brinstar

I finally realized why so many of the Gen VII Pokemon that they've revealed so far feel off to me. It's hard to describe, but I guess the best way to say it is that most of the designs are very blobby. Anyone get the same feeling?

It doesn't bother me per say, but yeah I have noticed that some of the Pokemon seem "rounder"

Fuck...

Made a dumb mistake. I traded away my only Leftovers hold item. Can't get it back. Damn it. My Milotic is useless until I get an other one.

Vena

Don't follow. Catch a bunch of Linoone in ORAS and one of them will have it?

As noted Linoone can pickup leftovers after level 81. It gets better at 91+ and having six of them speeds this up. Do a Blissie leveling run with six Linoone then go fight stuff.

I think he's referring to Linoone having the Pickup ability. Linoones in your party have a 10% chance of picking up an item, even if they aren't used in battle.

A level 81 or above Linoone has a 0.1% chance of picking up Leftovers after each battle.

Good luck.

As noted Linoone can pickup leftovers after level 81. It gets better at 91+ and having six of them speeds this up. Do a Blissie leveling run with six Linoone then go fight stuff.

Yay... I'll just use my Greninja for competitive play for now.

Thanks for the replies.
:)

Kyzer

Banned
just skip the game altogether and make pokemon showdown the new mainline series! who wants to catch raise and breed creatures its getting in the way

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Cn1WRChUMAAdLTH.jpg:large

Top Bottom