• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Cn1WRChUMAAdLTH.jpg:large
...*whistles*

So I finally take a look at this filler list and it already proves to be unreliable. https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1o1z0m/i_made_a_list_to_cut_700_episodes_of_pokemon_down/

It tells me to skip "Riddle Me This", and according a the wiki episode description, it contains a significant portion of the battle with Blaire. How is that filler?

i mean if people don't want to watch episodes where they claim nothing happens, why do they bother even wanting to watch it at all?

for riddle me this, i assume its cause the real match happens in the next episode due to reasons that happens in this episode

of course, you end up skipping stuff so i dunno

i mean if people don't want to watch episodes where they claim nothing happens, why do they bother even wanting to watch it at all?

for riddle me this, i assume its cause the real match happens in the next episode due to reasons that happens in this episode

of course, you end up skipping stuff so i dunno

Why does the idea that I possibly skip superfluous content in a 870+ episode series bother you?

I haven't skipped one episode up until now. I just got mixed up on the episode numbers because different places list them differently for some reason. One place told me that Riddle Me This was right after The Breeding Center Secret, and on a whim I decided to check out a filler list just because I've been meaning to. Not that I care to ease your concern over how I choose to enjoy the series, but I only plan to skip "filler" if I get to a point where really just want to see things meaningfully progress. I don't feel like I've come close to that point yet, but I assume there's a chance it might get to that point eventually.

I checked the filler guide as I was about to watch Riddle Me This, and saw that there are apparently episodes in between that one and the last one I left off on. Those episodes I might not go back to at this point since I'd prefer to keep moving forward. I could have stopped and went back to watch those episodes before continuing through Riddle Me This, but I already had my mind set for a gym battle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's an ep guide for XY/XYZ in chrome, I can't seem to find it.

Basically says what are technically "filler" but at the same time puts really good shit in it like "Bonnie filler, full of feels"

no, i don't care if you skip episodes

if you assume an episode is boring, not worth watching or whatever, feel free to skip it

i'm just taking offense at the filler guide itself

i mean the 'filler guide' is basically saying if ash isn't doing anything important, it's not worth watching

All I know is, Riddle Me This is a must watch that shouldn't be excluded. It's got moherfucking Gary Oak and sets up the whole context regarding Blaine. I'll definitely be wary of that list whenever I choose to reference it...

Kyzer

Banned
I think TPC care more about install base and don't usually rush to the next piece of hardware. We all know how well there first attempt on new hardware goes anyway lol. Crystal was the only Gen 2 game that required a GBC and Diamond/Pearl released almost two years after the DS came out. Although it will honestly depend on how relevant the 3DS will be in a year or two, since it isn't as popular as the GBA/DS. I was thinking of this as a potential release schedule. It's probably completely off, but I just felt like speculating.

Late 2016 - Sun/Moon (3DS)
2017 - Break
2018 - Either Sun/Moon 2/DX (3DS) or Break
2019 - Gen 8 (NX)

I also had an idea for Gen VIII's cycle but that won't be for a long time, so there's really no point. I do think Sinnoh remakes are a possibility in Gen 8, if demand grows for them like what happened with Hoenn.

Yep I mean basically either things are continuing as usual and they put Ohmori on a new generation so that Masuda can work on Pokemon Go or hes working on something else, is what Im trying to get at. Masuda is in charge of something mainline Pokemon right now behind the scenes, unless he just had a really huge hand in Pokemon Go and thats all it was. Then again HD development is such a big jump who knows maybe they just need the extra time

I was hoping for something like this...

2016: Sun/Moon (Nx development begins)
2017: Sun/Moon 2
2018: Pokemon Nx
2019: Pokemon D/P Remakes

I have a sneaking suspicion theyll try and cash in on RBY remakes one more time before we're 30. I would guess on Nx in full 3d/HD and with a Delta Episode/Megas. I think Nx onward might be forward compatible and theyll remake the games in one last definitive way along with releasing everything on VC. Total shots in the dark though I guess. I wonder if we could ever get a RBY remake with HD spritework or something

JoeM86

Yep I mean basically either things are continuing as usual and they put Ohmori on a new generation so that Masuda can work on Pokemon Go or hes working on something else, is what Im trying to get at. Masuda is in charge of something mainline Pokemon right now behind the scenes, unless he just had a really huge hand in Pokemon Go and thats all it was. Then again HD development is such a big jump who knows maybe they just need the extra time

I was hoping for something like this...

2016: Sun/Moon (Nx development begins)
2017: Sun/Moon 2
2018: Pokemon Nx
2019: Pokemon D/P Remakes

I have a sneaking suspicion theyll try and cash in on RBY remakes one more time before we're 30. I would guess on Nx in full 3d/HD and with a Delta Episode/Megas. I think Nx onward might be forward compatible and theyll remake the games in one last definitive way along with releasing everything on VC. Total shots in the dark though I guess. I wonder if we could ever get a RBY remake with HD spritework or something

A 2 year generation won't happen.

Gengahrrr

I thought it was a little weird how Shota's Slaking was depicted vs Norman's Slaking. I guess it was to show it being more imposing shrugging off hits like that while laying around.

Kneefoil

Yay... I'll just use my Greninja for competitive play for now.

Thanks for the replies.
:)

I once got a (probably hacked) shiny Umbreon from a Wonder Trade, and it was holding Leftovers. I still have the extra Leftovers if you would like me to trade it to you.

Edit: Probably worth mentioning that this was in Y, and I don't have OR or AS. Dunno what kind of compatibility issues there are between the games when trading.

A 2 year generation won't happen.

You think GameFreak could handle releasing on the NX by 2017? That means skipping out on Sun and Moon sequels after skipping out on X and Y sequel.

Didn't it take a couple of years into the 3DS life span for X and Y to release?

Note: There's a good chance I'm misunderstanding what your post meant.

GoldStarz

You think GameFreak could handle releasing on the NX by 2017? That means skipping out on Sun and Moon sequels after skipping out on X and Y sequel.

Didn't it take a couple of years into the 3DS life span for X and Y to release?

Note: There's a good chance I'm misunderstanding what your post meant.
He's saying they won't make a gen that short. The shortest gen was the English Gen I which was 748, barely over two. The shortest JP/internation Gen was this Gen at 1012 (two and a half years)

Hegarol

He's saying they won't make a gen that short. The shortest gen was the English Gen I which was 748, barely over two. The shortest JP/internation Gen was this Gen at 1012 (two and a half years)
Why two and a half? When SM comes out its three years after XY isn't it?

As someone who played Gen1, 2, 3 and HG but none after should I get X, OR, or wait for Sun?

I can only get one this year. I was originally waiting for Z, but that's not happening.

MajorMane

As someone who played Gen1, 2, 3 and HG but none after should I get X, OR, or wait for Sun?

I can only get one this year. I was originally waiting for Z, but that's not happening.

My suggestions, in order:
  1. Sun
  2. X
  3. OR
If you can only get one this year, obviously wait until Sun and Moon. New Pokemon. New game. No telling if it'll be a good game or not, but it's the obvious choice to wait for.

X is better for jumping into the series after awhile with. There's a lot of Gen 1 nostalgia and a ton of variety in the Pokemon found per route. The story can be kind of meh (like most games), but the gameplay makes up for it.

OR is last, but definitely not a bad choice. If you played Gen 3, OR is really just an updated and made better version of Ruby with many of the great upgrades found in XY. Less Pokemon variety than XY and many of the same "problems" as the original Ruby ("too much water"), but a very good game in its own fashion.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I hate using the term Genwunner, but good god has Go brought them out in force... Its depressing really.

Kyzer

Banned
I doubt we'll get Kanto reremakes before other remakes.

The only reason I think so is because otherwise they might as well commit to never going back again, and just keeping the remake cycle onward. Because nobody is going to be nostalgic for or want a Gen 1 remake in 10 years. At least not unless our generation changes the demographics of gaming entirely as we age. Which I guess is possible. Its totally plausible for them to do that too. Theres VC releases now, and they can just keep doing nods like they did in XY, and just do 1 remake ever for each gen. Seems sustainable.

Anyways I hope I dont get mistaken for being a genwunner for liking gen 1. I like all the gens...

Arent genwunners the people who only like gen 1 and think everything else is garbage? Feel like the term gets thrown around a lot these days

Arent genwunners the people who only like gen 1 and think everything else is garbage? Feel like the term gets thrown around a lot these days

yeah pretty much, it's okay to like gen 1 the most just don't saying that every thing else is trash and you should be fine

so i have a 3ds im playing pokemon y, but the last pokemon game i played was pokemon yellow on the gameboy, wich pokemon game do i need to play or did i miss?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You want non-ironic genwunners? just visit facebook and twitter

but really it's less about pokemon in general and more on "us 90's kids have the best shit! our nostalgia is the best!" crap

anyway

EXPAND SWORD

341.gif

brinstar

so i have a 3ds im playing pokemon y, but the last pokemon game i played was pokemon yellow on the gameboy, wich pokemon game do i need to play or did i miss?

You should be fine with Y. Sun/Moon comes out this fall which will be the newest games and the one the community will be playing. All the games in the main series are good and worth playing imo but sticking to the newest stuff is probably best to avoid burnout.

So PokéGaf or those who loves Arcanine

Which build is better

Offensive
Adament/JollY
Flash Fire ability
252 Att 252 SpD

Or

Defense
Impish
Intimidate ability
252 HP 252 Def

How do you all run your Arcanine?

I'm torn between a defensive or offensive Growlithe. I'll like input from someone who actually uses a Arcanine.

Vena

So PokéGaf or those who loves Arcanine

Which build is better

Offensive
Adament/JollY
Flash Fire ability
252 Att 252 SpD

Or

Defense
Impish
Intimidate ability
252 HP 252 Def

How do you all run your Arcanine?

I'm torn between a defensive or offensive Growlithe. I'll like input from someone who actually uses a Arcanine.

I prefer Arcanine for the bulk as he doesn't have Sacred Fire, and his typing lets him switch in on Fairy, Steel, Grass and Bug (and makes him a massive threat against Ferro, Fortress, Scissor, and such). I recently made one for the comp team I am building as a pivot or counter for some of my build's current short comings, but I do think 252 Def is too much.

Of course, don't take my word very far. I am completely new to this and largely just theorycrafting my team right now.

Depends on the format. I've never seen a physical defensive build though, only defensive ones.

I prefer Arcanine for the bulk as he doesn't have Sacred Fire, and his typing lets him switch in on Fairy, Steel, Grass and Bug (and makes him a massive threat against Ferro, Fortress, Scissor, and such). I recently made one for the comp team I am building as a pivot or counter for some of my build's current short comings, but I do think 252 Def is too much.

Of course, don't take my word very far. I am completely new to this and largely just theorycrafting my team right now.

What builds do you two run or seen?

Arcanine is weird for me. Ive never used one before and I haven't seen a build that got me feeling like I could take it, make it my own, and run with it.

Vena

What builds do you two run or seen?

Arcanine is weird for me. Ive never used one before and I haven't seen a build that got me feeling like I could take it, make it my own, and run with it.

My build is very weird, I think.

Impish
Intimidate
252 HP / 148 Def / 60 Spd / 48 Att
Morning Sun/Protect
Snarl
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge/Crunch/Will-o-Wisp/Helping Hand

I have this as part of my core team who are built to effectively slot between Singles or Doubles. He's built basically to be a pivot on phyiscal or type advantage, and Snarl lets me call out special switch ins.

The (core) team as of so far is:
sylveon.gif
serperior.gif
arcanine.gif

But everything here is largely theory with only some thrown together battles with friends to test hits.

Busaiku

I don't see the point of a Kanto reremake when we have stuff like Pokémon Go.
I doubt most actually care about the region itself, and just want quick access to 1 - 150.

Top Bottom