• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Nightbird

We should host a competition here after Sun/Moon launched.

The catch is, we're only allowed to use the team we completed the Pokémon League with the first time.

Since we are able to IV train, we would have an equal ground in that regard, but using our story teams would lead to
a) interesting teams being present
b) make it hard to compete with "perfect Pokémon"

Meaning every battle would be interesting since it isn't pre-determined who's set to win by comparing optimal builds, so everything is possible.

What do you guys think?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So PokéGaf or those who loves Arcanine

Which build is better

Offensive
Adament/JollY
Flash Fire ability
252 Att 252 SpD

Or

Defense
Impish
Intimidate ability
252 HP 252 Def

How do you all run your Arcanine?

I'm torn between a defensive or offensive Growlithe. I'll like input from someone who actually uses a Arcanine.

I kinda like fast offensive arcanine

The catch is, we're only allowed to use the team we completed the Pokémon League with the first time.

Since we are able to IV train, we would have an equal ground in that regard, but using our story teams would lead to

Meaning every battle would be interesting since it isn't pre-determined who's set to win by comparing optimal builds, so everything is possible.

What do you guys think?
The beginning of a gen is the only time I battle online for these two reasons so I'm down for it

My build is very weird, I think.

Impish
Intimidate
252 HP / 148 Def / 60 Spd / 48 Att
Morning Sun/Protect
Snarl
Flare Blitz
Wild Charge/Crunch/Will-o-Wisp/Helping Hand

I have this as part of my core team who are built to effectively slot between Singles or Doubles. He's built basically to be a pivot on phyiscal or type advantage, and Snarl lets me call out special switch ins.

The (core) team as of so far is:
sylveon.gif
serperior.gif
arcanine.gif

But everything here is largely theory with only some thrown together battles with friends to test hits.

Nice. You gave me something to consider, especially using Snarl. I would have never thought to use that move against other players. Besides my Milotic my team consist of Dragonite, Weavile, Gengar, Volcarona, and Electivire.

Arcanine may work as a second wall for my team replacing Electivire. I'll just need to maybe replace Volcarona which will be difficult since I love using him.

Does a Flame orb activate the Flash Fire ability?

All this planning and watch me dump all but 3 of my teams Pokémon when Sun and Moon comes out.

What do you guys think?

I would be so down for that!

I have a 1IV Shiny Deoxys I got in a trade with a Quiet nature, a 4IV Shiny Luxray I got in a trade with a Hasty nature, and a 6IV Shiny Gliscor I got in a trade with a impish nature that we can give to whoever comes in First, Second, and third place.

I would like it of some time passes between release and the tournament so I could take part of the tournament and enjoy my play threw of the game.

So it'll be the regional Dex, honor system, and what about items?

Menitta

I don't want another Kanto remake. Kanto is already in 4 games. RBY, GSC, FRLG, and HGSS. I'm kinda tired of it TBH. I will jump on the Sinnoh Remake train though.

Vena

Nice. You gave me something to consider, especially using Snarl. I would have never thought to use that move against other players. Besides my Milotic my team consist of Dragonite, Weavile, Gengar, Volcarona, and Electivire.

Arcanine may work as a second wall for my team replacing Electivire. I'll just need to maybe replace Volcarona which will be difficult since I love using him.

Honestly don't know why you'd drop Volcarona for Arcanine, the former has Quiver Dance and is an absolute threat on any team. Though I also don't see how Electivire is a wall...?

I don't know if Snarl is actually a good idea in general (its damage, with Impish, will be very low and just serve as chip (or chip spread in doubles)). The reason I run it is because after a Snarl, Sylveon can waltz in on just about anything with its monstrous SpD if its a bad match-up for Arcanine (and also let's me refresh Intimidate). Serperior also likes having Intimidate and Snarl to neuter enemies for switch-ins to set-up a Leaf Storm.

I'm actually tempted, on the topic of Volcarona, to slot in Venomoth for my team just to have that threat and have a decently solid Poison type.

Does a Flame orb activate the Flash Fire ability?

Don't think so. Also I don't like Flash Fire as it only helps Fire-type moves and you really should have coverage. Intimidate just helps against everything except specials (which, admittedly, is most of the current meta due to the physical hate). Still helps neuter Weavile and Mawille (and Azumarill) a bit.

All this planning and watch me dump all but 3 of my teams Pokémon when Sun and Moon comes out.

This happens all the time, first thing I bred aside from my Sylveon was a Gourgeist-XL... and he's still level 1 and I still haven't even gone back to him after re-evaluating and slotting in Serperior in his stead. He's just sitting in pokebank after all that breeding and catching work (for the size).

Vena

Oh, and can any pro explain to me why Escavalier isn't much used in OU (or in general, as I rarely if ever see him) over the likes of Scissor, Ferrothorn, and the occasional Foretress? He seems to have a fantastic stat spread with very little wasted on SpA, solid defenses and a high attack, and a great typing.

Is it his move pool?

Oh, and can any pro explain to me why Escavalier isn't much used in OU (or in general, as I rarely if ever see him) over the likes of Scissor, Ferrothorn, and the occasional Foretress? He seems to have a fantastic stat spread with very little wasted on SpA, solid defenses and a high attack, and a great typing.

Is it his move pool?

No access to stealth rocks or spikes unlike Ferrothorn and Foretress (whose main niche involves setting those up), no form of recovery move (this holds back the others to an extent, but Ferrothorn at least gets leech seed), and unlike Scizor it's pretty much useless outside of trick room due to it's speed.

Honestly don't know why you'd drop Volcarona for Arcanine, the former has Quiver Dance and is an absolute threat on any team. Though I also don't see how Electivire is a wall...?

I don't know if Snarl is actually a good idea in general (its damage, with Impish, will be very low and just serve as chip (or chip spread in doubles)). The reason I run it is because after a Snarl, Sylveon can waltz in on just about anything with its monstrous SpD if its a bad match-up for Arcanine (and also let's me refresh Intimidate). Serperior also likes having Intimidate and Snarl to neuter enemies for switch-ins to set-up a Leaf Storm.

I'm actually tempted, on the topic of Volcarona, to slot in Venomoth for my team just to have that threat and have a decently solid Poison type.

Don't think so. Also I don't like Flash Fire as it only helps Fire-type moves and you really should have coverage. Intimidate just helps against everything except specials (which, admittedly, is most of the current meta due to the physical hate). Still helps neuter Weavile and Mawille (and Azumarill) a bit.

This happens all the time, first thing I bred aside from my Sylveon was a Gourgeist-XL... and he's still level 1 and I still haven't even gone back to him after re-evaluating and slotting in Serperior in his stead. He's just sitting in pokebank after all that breeding and catching work (for the size).

I construct my team with 3 Physical and 3 Special Pokémon. If I would bring in Arcanine he would take my Electivire place. I never used Electivire as a wall he was just 1/3 of my Physical team.

I never felt right using two of the same types on the same team which is why I'm looking at maybe replacing Volcarona if I did run a Arcanine.

My problem is that I only battle with Pokémon I like/love whether it makes sense for my team of not. I've bred, raised, EV trained a Sableye, Mamoswine, 2 Lucario, Shiny Blaziken, Physical Charizard, Special Charizard, Physical Greninja, Special Greninja, Niovern, Scizor (just traded him away), Tyranitar, Jellicent, Magmortar, Dusknior, Garchomp, Gyrados, Goodra, and a Aegislash to level 100 that I may never use again.

I may replace Volcarona with Aegislash but not sure yet.

My core team is Dragonite, Weavile, and Gengar. I'm hoping Sun and Moon introduces a starter Pokémon I can vibe with to make a staple for my team.

Thinking about battling has me thinking about a certain competitve website fanbase who tries to force the way they play on the entire fanbase. Annoys me.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks for the Arcanine input.

Vena

I totally misread Electivire's role in your first post it seems. I read as if he were a wall, haha. Sorry.

My problem is that I only battle with Pokémon I like/love whether it makes sense for my team of not.

This is how I make my teams too.

Vena

I am thinking of adding Milotic as my fourth core to round off my *core* team with a bulky water. But I feel like this is just becoming way too much special focus with just Arcanine to round off on the physical side of things.

sylveon.gif
serperior.gif
arcanine.gif
milotic.gif

But also considering getting something like Staraptor or fast bird of that type as a physical (dat Brave Bird), and I have an old Gallade from many gens ago that I have in PokeBank is already trained.

No access to stealth rocks or spikes unlike Ferrothorn and Foretress (whose main niche involves setting those up), no form of recovery move (this holds back the others to an extent, but Ferrothorn at least gets leech seed), and unlike Scizor it's pretty much useless outside of trick room due to it's speed.

Got it. Thanks! I guess that does make sense and it is about the movepool to a large degree. Pity the speed also makes it so bad.

Sooooo I want to play Soul Silver, but I don't own it. The price has soared to exuberance, and even then it's hard to track down. This really bums me out. In this case, is emulation still morally wrong?

Hi, I asked about this before but I guess it go missed, so I was wondering, I skipped gens 4 and 5 but I've played both X and AS and I've been wanting to play more new Pokemon. A local used game store has almost all of the Gen 4 games (I think they're missing Pearl but that's it) and I wanted to know if people thought it was worth going back to play any of them and if so, which would be the best (I'm assuming Platinum or one of the Johto remakes, I've played a bit of Crystal but I didn't get too far so I don't have a ton of nostalgia for it). Thanks!

Hi, I asked about this before but I guess it go missed, so I was wondering, I skipped gens 4 and 5 but I've played both X and AS and I've been wanting to play more new Pokemon. A local used game store has almost all of the Gen 4 games (I think they're missing Pearl but that's it) and I wanted to know if people thought it was worth going back to play any of them and if so, which would be the best (I'm assuming Platinum or one of the Johto remakes, I've played a bit of Crystal but I didn't get too far so I don't have a ton of nostalgia for it). Thanks!

Platinum is great. I mean, if you love Pokemon, and you don't mind the slight downgrade in graphics and mechanics, go for it. Also, if they have Soul Silver for a decent price, buy it!

MajorMane

You hit the nail on the head. Platinum and HGSS are probably your best bet for Gen 4. Platinum makes a ton of good changes to Diamond and Pearl, turning good games into great games. HGSS are often lauded as some of the best Pokemon games in the series for a lot of reasons. They're very good remakes and if you want any of your Pokemon to be able to follow your character sprite around, well, you're in luck. Here's a link to the version exclusives for those, which will help you decide whether you want HG or SS: http://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/exclusives.shtml.

You can't go wrong with either of those. Don't bother with Diamond and Pearl if you can play Platinum.

As for Gen 5... well, they're some of the best story wise. BW don't have a lot of past generation Pokemon to play with until post-game, however. If you can and/or want to, pick up a copy/borrow of either Black or White and a copy of either of Black 2 or White 2 and have some fun. Honestly, I'd put the Gen 4 games at a higher priority, but that's just my personal preference.

Vena

Platinum is one of the best games in the series. Period.

BW/BW2 also offer you the first time that the series tries to tell something of a story, I'd recommend for that if nothing else to see Pokemon presented with an overarching plot. Its got one of the better villains too, as the villain is my personal second favorite after the original Giovanni.

Chase17

What do you guys think?
I'd be in for this.

brinstar

What do you guys think?

I'm 100% down for this

What do you guys think?

I'd be down, but this is all determined if I get a 3DS by the fall.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
BW2 have some real great improvements, but a lot of the cool stuff got neutered with the Wifi Connection going down. I'd say it's worth a playthrough at least, as well as catching most of the BW2 legends again.

my main goal is vs in the long run, anything important thats only in white 2

What... Is the point of Team Flare? Like I'm not clear on what their goal is.
Kill everything on the planet except them and start the world over with their ideals. I'd say that's the dumbest plan I've ever heard but we have Gen 3's "Put on hoods and remove water from the planet" and Gen 4's "This sociopath will remake the universe and let us populate it because he totally cares about us" in the same franchise so maybe not.

Boss Doggie

Flare has a great villain plan marred by terrible execution.

Lysandre knows his shit has consequences. He knows not everyone will like it. But the game doesn't really give you much insight on him and we never get much viewpoint on TF.

GoldStarz

Flare has a great villain plan marred by terrible execution.

Lysandre knows his shit has consequences. He knows not everyone will like it. But the game doesn't really give you much insight on him and we never get much viewpoint on TF.

The real problem is that the plan doesn't line up at all with the actual team. Everyone on Team Flare except Lysandre (and maybe Xerosic) is shallow, selfish, and stupid rather than the type of people who would actually create the type of world that Lysander conceived.

Pachimari

Okay, guess what, I just watched my first Pokemon anime episode since Season 1! I randomly installed the Pokemon TV app and clicked on the S19E1, and it seemed pretty interesting and not that formulaic. It looks prettier than I remember in Season 1, with bright colors. The kids are a bit annoying me, a little too young or light in their voices, but Ash looks cool, and there's lots of Pokemon I don't know. Team Rocket didn't have much time which I liked, and Team Flare looks like a bigger threat. Zygarde 10% is so cute, and it's so cool how it kind of communicates with the other cells, and can evolve into Zygarde 30% ; the dog. I really like that Pokemon, it's so mysterious. I might continue my watch, but maybe begin at Season 1 again, although that season really feels like a drag, because it's so formulaic.

Kyzer

Banned
I think we're gonna see the remaining southern island Pokemon August 1st, before corocoro comes out detailing the island a couple weeks after. Hope there's still a bunch and we really are getting a ton of new Pokemon this gen, I would love for Sun/Moon to have even more variety than XY

Boss Doggie

Last I checked this is the Pokemon Community Thread, not the Pokemon Anime Thread.

no someone was referring to them as anime figs, which they weren't

like game Serena didn't need to be referred as a "pre-cut" one because she technically never gets one

Top Bottom