• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Is there a guide or site you guys follow when building a team of your favorite Pokemon for online play?

Haven't played competitive in a while but it depends on what type of battling you're doing. If it's singles, then Smogon is pretty good. Even if you're not following their ruleset, the movesets are still useful even if you're looking for certain Pokemon. If it's VGC, then Nuggetbridge is probably the best.

Each of them also have forums for feedback on teams and sets. There's also some teambuilders online if you search for them, which gives you a breakdown of how what type weaknesses/resistances your team has.

Haven't played competitive in a while but it depends on what type of battling you're doing. If it's singles, then Smogon is pretty good. Even if you're not following their ruleset, the movesets are still useful even if you're looking for certain Pokemon. If it's VGC, then Nuggetbridge is probably the best.

Each of them also have forums for feedback on teams and sets. There's also some teambuilders online if you search for them, which gives you a breakdown of how what type weaknesses/resistances your team has.
Thanks I will look into these.

LFG

Neophyte
Thought about buying Pokemon Red on the eshop. Is it true you can transfer those Pokemon to the modern titles? Does the newest Pokemon have the previous generation of Pokemon? Only experience I have is Go.

Thought about buying Pokemon Red on the eshop. Is it true you can transfer those Pokemon to the modern titles? Does the newest Pokemon have the previous generation of Pokemon? Only experience I have is Go.
You'll only be able to trade Pokemon from Red to the upcoming title, Pokemon Sun/Moon. Trading between those games will be done exclusively through the Pokemon Bank, which is a subscription based application that allows you to store Pokemon on an Internet server. Most of the 721 Pokemon can be caught in Pokemon X/Y, although there are of course quite a few exclusives that can't be caught in that game. Between X/Y, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (the latest game, but it is a remake of Gen 3), and/or Sun/Moon, you should be able to get most of them. You are also able to trade online in-game through what is called the GTS (Global Trade System), so if you want a specific Pokemon that can't be caught in any of those games, you might be able to find it on there.

You will be able to transfer the Pokémon from Red to Sun or Moon when they come out later this year, yes.

The main campaigns of recent games have allowed you to catch a significant amount of the existing Pokémon as part of the campaign, and any that you can't catch can be traded in from previous generations. All 151 of the originals can be obtained in the recent games through one method or another.

Went 3-0 in the sinnoh classic and then I got bored.
CoKwtZiVMAEW0aW.jpg:large

Umbreon's set is Sunny Day, Taunt, Foul Play, and Protect with Inner Focus. Calm, max hp and sp. def

Everything else are just standard sets not really worth translating

Vena

I am trying to come up with a fun (read: not terrible) set for Accelgor (because who doesn't like a bad-ass Ninja bug) that I'd like to use as a potential lead for singles but I keep running into the problem that, even with Focus Sash, he has like no priority move access making him really easy to kill at 1HP with something like Fake Out or Extreme Speed...

... or even Quick Attack.

It hurts that he also has next to no boosting access aside from a needless Agility. Dang.

Seems about the only thing he can do is throw down spikes, Yawn, and, maybe, Acid Spray to force a switch.

Went 3-0 in the sinnoh classic and then I got bored.
Umbreon's set is Sunny Day, Taunt, Foul Play, and Protect with Inner Focus. Calm, max hp and sp. def

Everything else are just standard sets not really worth translating

I can only do like three matches a day before I get tired of PvP in general, I think most of the fun is in the team building. :p

I am trying to come up with a fun (read: not terrible) set for Accelgor (because who doesn't like a bad-ass Ninja bug) that I'd like to use as a potential lead for singles but I keep running into the problem that, even with Focus Sash, he has like no priority move access making him really easy to kill at 1HP with something like Fake Out or Extreme Speed...

... or even Quick Attack.

It hurts that he also has next to no boosting access aside from a needless Agility. Dang.

Seems about the only thing he can do is throw down spikes, Yawn, and, maybe, Acid Spray to force a switch.

I can only do like three matches a day before I get tired of PvP in general, I think most of the fun is in the team building. :p
Accelgor can learn water shuriken, which is a priority move

Vena

Accelgor can learn water shuriken, which is a priority move

Oh. Look at that he can, didn't even notice that but still its unfortunately physical from the looks of it which is a bit unfortunate. Maybe it would be better to work Accelgor into a physicalish attacker rather than special.

I don't think this will work, though, haha.

I can't decide if I want to breed a singles team or a doubles team.

Do like me and breed a core that can switch between the two, then round it off with the rest to swap in and out.

Serperior and Sylveon, and to a lesser extent Arcanine, are a core team, more or less, for my playstyle and like.

I will breed up an Umbreon for the Sinnoh classic I think and in general probably for my team as I have a distinct lack in walls.

Sandfox

Oh. Look at that he can, didn't even notice that but still its unfortunately physical from the looks of it which is a bit unfortunate. Maybe it would be better to work Accelgor into a physicalish attacker rather than special.

I don't think this will work, though, haha.

Do like me and breed a core that can switch between the two, then round it off with the rest to swap in and out.

Serperior and Sylveon, and to a lesser extent Arcanine, are a core team, more or less, for my playstyle and like.

I will breed up an Umbreon for the Sinnoh classic I think and in general probably for my team as I have a distinct lack in walls.
I don't really find that ideal because you may want different natures and evs depending on the format. I may just end up doing both.

I'm thinking a Fairy-Dragon-Steel core team for singles and possibly something built around Sceptile for VGC. I'm in a zone right now so I'll probably get a ton of Pokemon to play around super quick.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Sinnoh Classic just ended.

Vena

Accelgor - Unburden, Adamant, Focus Sash
252 HP (or 252 Att if no Gambit), 252 Spe
or
252 HP, 252 Att (what can even outspeed him?)
Water Shuriken/Encore
Final Gambit/Protect/Feint/Encore
Knock Off
U-Turn

Use this as a attacking pivot, or potential lead? Seems bad. :p

I don't really find that ideal because you may want different natures and evs depending on the format. I may just end up doing both.

I'm thinking a Fairy-Dragon-Steel core team for singles and possibly something built around Sceptile for VGC. I'm in a zone right now so I'll probably get a ton of Pokemon to play around super quick.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Sinnoh Classic just ended.

Of course, but since EV training is super easy (and I have a surprlus of berries) this isn't a big deal. That said Natures for the core team are identical between Doubles and Singles for me, its more about the item they have and the moves. Of course this is probably a rare scenario haha. :p

Oh did it? I thought it just started! :p

Finished my play thru of X using the team ash has in the anime. They all had their anime move sets. I made my Greninja as physical as I could. He was level 100 by the time I got to the elite 4. Fun play thru.
661j5Fx.jpg

2Q3w609.jpg

StoneFox

Adamant Zigzagoon (Gluttony) with Belly Drum, E-speed and Super Fang while holding Lansat Berry is too OP in Little Cup :p

So many sweeps. xD Pretty much OHKOs everything but rock/steel types.

Gurrry

Just a quick question, why is pokemon heartgold so highly priced on ebay? I bought it when it came out and kept the box, manual, pokewalker, everything.

I dont really have any intention of selling it, but some of them are going for 100-200 dollars. Why? Is it really that rare?

Azuran

Banned
I can't decide if I want to breed a singles team or a doubles team.

I always breed for a Doubles team in-game because you can always take that for real life tournaments if you ever want to take part in one of those. Plus, Ranked Battle Spot Doubles seems to be the most popular online format.

If I'm going to play Singles, I'll just head to Smogon. There's not really a competitive singles scene if you want to play with your cartridge.

Vena

I always breed for a Doubles team in-game because you can always take that for real life tournaments if you ever want to take part in one of those. Plus, Ranked Battle Spot Doubles seems to be the most popular online format.

If I'm going to play Singles, I'll just head to Smogon. There's not really a competitive singles scene if you want to play with your cartridge.

Having started to dabble in both I now also much prefer doubles as a format in general. It's my much faster and I like all the mindgames and build viability that is lacking in singles.

And to think a month ago or so I had thought singles was the definitive format. Lol.

I have a thunder stone and want to evolve evee into jolteon with volt absorb. How do I make sure it gets that ability? And where can I find more thunder stones for when I want to evolve pikachu into raichu?

I have a thunder stone and want to evolve evee into jolteon with volt absorb. How do I make sure it gets that ability? And where can I find more thunder stones for when I want to evolve pikachu into raichu?
If Eevee has Run Away or Adaptability as an ability, it will have Volt Absorb when it evolves. If it has Anticipation it will have Quick Feet instead, and I'd recommend Espeon if it does. Thunder Stones can be found through secret super training's Stunfisk boss randomly if you're playing X/Y/OR/AS.

If Eevee has Run Away or Adaptability as an ability, it will have Volt Absorb when it evolves. If it has Anticipation it will have Quick Feet instead, and I'd recommend Espeon if it does. Thunder Stones can be found through secret super training's Stunfisk boss randomly if you're playing X/Y/OR/AS.
Thanks!! So can the other stones be found thru super trainings as well in X?

Man trying to pick a team of six is tough lol. So far I have Greninja, Blaziken, Scizor and Gallade (trying to figure out a good moveset for him). Not sure who I want in my last two slots. So many Pokemon I like that it's tough to narrow down.

Other problem is that some of my other choices don't have their hidden abilities.

I guess I might as well attempt to raise a Doubles team. I've been fighting it for years, but seeing as how Doubles isn't going anywhere, nor will it likely ever, I just have to bite the bullet.

Someone mentioned that Nugget Bridge is a good place to get advice? Because I'm only really interested in Weather Doubles teams.

Vena

Wonder Trade is strangely... karmic.

I sent off an extra Shaymin because I had two and I got back a female Chimchar with perfect IVs.

Theorymon

Man trying to pick a team of six is tough lol. So far I have Greninja, Blaziken, Scizor and Gallade (trying to figure out a good moveset for him). Not sure who I want in my last two slots. So many Pokemon I like that it's tough to narrow down.

Other problem is that some of my other choices don't have their hidden abilities.

What metagame is this for, Battle Spot Singles?

If it means much, Gallade is pretty uncommon there, mostly because its pretty frail and slow for a Fighting-type.

Also, be prepared for Mega Kangaskhan, that thing is very common and deadly! Blaziken can help, but it can't switch in really.

What metagame is this for, Battle Spot Singles?

If it means much, Gallade is pretty uncommon there, mostly because its pretty frail and slow for a Fighting-type.

Also, be prepared for Mega Kangaskhan, that thing is very common and deadly! Blaziken can help, but it can't switch in really.
Battle Singles.

Sandfox

Both teams would be for playing around on Battle Spot and there's really no reason to make a VGC 16 team at this point especially when the ruleset was replaced in ORAS. I start working on serious stuff when Sun and Moon comes out.

Firestorm

Both teams would be for playing around on Battle Spot and there's really no reason to make a VGC 16 team at this point especially when the ruleset was replaced in ORAS. I start working on serious stuff when Sun and Moon comes out.
This ruleset will be around until January 1st going off previous years.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Really hope they make most stones buyable again.

Yeah I don't get why Game Freak keeps flip flopping on whether you can buy stone or not.

Gen 2 really needed the stones to be buyable as they were hard to obtain till post game, unless you had Crystal where trainers would give you them whenever they felt like it.

Thankfully they fixed it in the Johto remake as you can obtain them in the The Pokéathlon.

Just watched Pokemon Origins for the first time. I think it's a cool little adaptation of the original pokemon games, but I didn't really find it amazing or anything. I can't even say I like it better than the normal anime like everyone seems to. Though I think they both go for very different things and are kind of hard for me to directly compare.

I understand it's a 4 episode series so it had to skip a lot of things, but that's one of my detractors from it in terms of overall enjoyment. I don't blame it for being 4 episodes or anything, but I just never do to well with absorbing a story that's condensing a huge journey into an expedited narrative. Usually I see this kind of thing in flashback/backstory sequences. It's why I don't enjoy the Legend of Wan episodes from season 2 of Legend of Korra nearly as much as most people do. It's not that it's that extreme here though. The entire journey isn't completely condensed, after all. It does slow down for certain portions of so we can get some actual depth out of the episodes.

People are also always saying Red is better than Ash. I mean, he's definitely more competent than Ash, but he's such a boring cookie cutter "pokemon master" character. Couldn't really get too attached to him. I generally find Ash and co. to be much more entertaining to watch on screen. The pokemon themselves weren't given a personality either and there's little interaction with them & Red. The condensed nature of the series definitely didn't help.

The battles were a treat , animation wise. I thought the first battle against blue and the one at the end were the best, but I don't even think this aspect of the show is better than the regular anime in every way. I assume since they're going so hard for the pokemon game format, the battles were more rigid like they are in the games. I think the anime has a leg up in being more creative and dynamic in some of its fights.

I enjoyed the series and all, and it'd be awesome to see them do this with Gold/Silver too. I can see why people say this is so much better than the anime if you just hate the format of the anime, but as someone who is currently enjoying the anime, it's strange for me to entertain the idea that Origins is way better than it. Even though I can go off on a similar rant about the anime's issues, I still feel like I get more sheer enjoyment and comfort out of watching the anime episodes as opposed to Origins. Origins to me was just cool fanservice.

Vena

So what is the usual VGC rules for a new gen? The regional pokedex only for the first year before the remake?

Does any Eevee evolution count as regional? :p

BW's first year was regional dex only, which consisted of only new Pokémon.

XY's first year as regional dex, which had about 450 Pokémon, only 70-ish that were new I believe. Also had a pentagon rule.

Custom tourneys in SM allow you to set up the Gen 7 version of XY's rules, including the "pentagon rule". So I wouldn't be surprised if that's the plan.

Top Bottom