• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Vena

BW's first year was regional dex only, which consisted of only new Pokémon.

XY's first year as regional dex, which had about 450 Pokémon, only 70-ish that were new I believe. Also had a pentagon rule.

Custom tourneys in SM allow you to set up the Gen 7 version of XY's rules, including the "pentagon rule". So I wouldn't be surprised if that's the plan.

Pentagon Rule is where they only allow Gen 6 bred/sourced pokemon for the tournament right? That's a bit annoying if you've bread pokemon from the previous gen that would be "legal" otherwise.

Is that to keep old carry-up (from old gens) moves from showing up?

Pentagon Rule is where they only allow Gen 6 bred/sourced pokemon for the tournament right? That's a bit annoying if you've bread pokemon from the previous gen that would be "legal" otherwise.

Probably. At this point it can't be to prevent haxed mons from being transferred up since there'll probably be haxed Gen 7 mons day one.

But it does make it so nobody has to explain to little Billy that in order to get that Follow Me Magmar he'll have to play a game that's older than he is.

Vena

Probably. At this point it can't be to prevent haxed mons from being transferred up since there'll probably be haxed Gen 7 mons day one.

But it does make it so nobody has to explain to little Billy that in order to get that Follow Me Magmar he'll have to play a game that's older than he is.

lol the latter was what I was envisioning, haha.

Not that it matters to too much. Once you have a healthy set of parents, its fairly easy to breed up the next generation of successors if you have favorites in the current gen. And with the bottle caps/Hyper Training, it will be even easier to make the successors be good. :p

yami4ct

The Pentagon Rule was almost surely to keep away hacked mons in X/Y, but at this point like you said that is now moot. With Hyper Training, it should be a pretty non issue at this point, though. Hacking has very little use outside of getting easy shinys and shit.

It probably does limit the meta a bit at the start of a gen, so I imagine that's a part of it.

Firestorm

It was a major reason I'd say yeah. XD exclusive moves especially were pretty ridiculous to get (ie. Follow Me Magmar).

【7/26更新】今後のシーズンにつきまして

現行版「ポケモングローバルリンク」(以下PGL)のサービス終了につき、レーティングバトルのシーズンは、17をもちまして終了となります。
なお、9/13(火)メンテナンスで終了となる≪シーズン17≫以降も、ゲームソフトでは≪シーズン17≫のレーティングを引き継いだまま、≪シーズン17≫のレギュレーションで、サービス終了まで対戦を行うことができます。
また、9/13(火)メンテナンス以降も、対戦の履歴はサービス終了までPGLに反映され、閲覧することができます。
Is this saying that Season 17 will continue until PGL goes down or that the season officially ends on 9/13 but you can continue battling with Season 17's BS rules until PGL goes down, just that your rating won't change? Or something else entirely?

Too tired and lazy to translate this properly man EDIT: For reference, they did an update here: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/5c67aa66-7b00-4a9a-8169-1972d057c7f8

MattyG

Banned
Where's my best bet for finding reasonably priced copies of HG/SS and BW1/2? Every copy of the former I'm seeing on Amazon is $70+, which is absurd.

God, I regret selling all my games way back when...

StoneFox

Trying to breed a shiny Furret cuz muh favorite pokemon 'n stuff and just hatched a shiny sentret after one hour of Masuda Method! :D

... it's Keen Eye instead of Frisk though D:

Not a total failure but RNG why? I even bred her with Trick just for that ability ;_;

Sandfox

Where's my best bet for finding reasonably priced copies of HG/SS and BW1/2? Every copy of the former I'm seeing on Amazon is $70+, which is absurd.

God, I regret selling all my games way back when...

Probably Gamestop or Ebay, but you have to watch out for fakes.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So anyone buying into the idea of them retconning Megas.

As much as I dislike Megas I don't think that they are going away as no Pokémon form has ever been retconned, barring Deoxys where the mechanic behind his forms changed from being version exclusive to reacting to a meteor.

GoldStarz

Trying to breed a shiny Furret cuz muh favorite pokemon 'n stuff and just hatched a shiny sentret after one hour of Masuda Method! :D

... it's Keen Eye instead of Frisk though D:

Not a total failure but RNG why? I even bred her with Trick just for that ability ;_;
I still don't get why Ability Capsule can't be used to get a Pokemon's Hidden Ability
So anyone buying into the idea of them retconning Megas.

Like retconning them out? Not at this point, but I think they might ignore the "only at max evolution" part if they discontinue them

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Eh I like megas, gives teams a figurehead .

Megas are not bound by standard rules so it let's favourites become special for the player

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That Ingenuity Festival was probably the funniest episode of XY, cracked up at Meowth's deadpan expression as he activated the mecha.

Ash is a joke right now lol. I'm at the episodes where he's less than 2 months away from the pokemon league, and it's a flurry of episodes about him getting sidetracked and not actually training. Now the announcer dude says there are only a few weeks left. Ash needs to step up his game. I can't feel that bad if he loses to gary whenever they end up fighting.

Also, Meowth needs to get over Meowsie already lmao

ORAS is only 480,000 away from matching HGSS and XY is 620,000 away from matching Black and White. ORAS will probably reach HGSS, but I'm not feeling so confident in XY matching Black and White.

I really wonder how well Sun and Moon will sell by the end of their life. NX not having backwards compatibility could could really hurt it. I'm guessing maybe 12-13 million for Sun and Moon.

Ha ha harsh but true, I really hate how clickbaity Pokémon youtube video have been of late along with nonsense theory that they come up with.
Really is a sad state right now. I'll occasionally watch some VGC players' stuff or some Japanese videos of weird team ideas and then I get the rest on the homepage. "The rest" meaning "Top 10 Pokemon Starting with the Letter F!", "The New VGC 16 Meta: Metagross and Zygarde!", "EPIC SUNKERN SWEEP 100% LEGIT", "Top 10 Pokemon Facts I Read Drectly From Bulbapedia or TRCF and Didn't Credit!", and "XACCURACYLOCKE feat. xXxSnobNobertsonRPG Part 38".
They're all so clickbait-y and predictable in the exact same way, and they all have the exact same overproduced thumbnails with stock art or stolen fanart. Honestly, if someone really wanted to hit it big on Youtube with Pokemon, some careful planning and a personality that wasn't "I really want to be a shoutcaster at a tournament someday but I don't know the game enough to do so" would easily wipe the floor with everyone on there now.

LFG

Neophyte
You will be able to transfer the Pokémon from Red to Sun or Moon when they come out later this year, yes.

You'll only be able to trade Pokemon from Red to the upcoming title, Pokemon Sun/Moon. Trading between those games will be done exclusively through the Pokemon Bank, which is a subscription based application that allows you to store Pokemon on an Internet server. Most of the 721 Pokemon can be caught in Pokemon X/Y, although there are of course quite a few exclusives that can't be caught in that game. Between X/Y, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (the latest game, but it is a remake of Gen 3), and/or Sun/Moon, you should be able to get most of them. You are also able to trade online in-game through what is called the GTS (Global Trade System), so if you want a specific Pokemon that can't be caught in any of those games, you might be able to find it on there.

I'm a little confused. So, I need to use the pokemon bank to transfer them to Sun/Moon? Will Sun/Moon have most of the Pokemon in that game?

I'm a little confused. So, I need to use the pokemon bank to transfer them to Sun/Moon? Will Sun/Moon have most of the Pokemon in that game?
Sorry. Yes, you will need to use the Pokemon Bank to transfer from Red to the upcoming game (Sun/Moon). We don't know for sure how many pokemon will be obtainable in Sun/Moon, but I would bet on most of the common ones being present. Every video we have seen so far has showcased many pokemon from past generations, and some are even getting highlighted due to this year marking the 20th Anniversary of the series. The only pokemon that may be missing are legendaries (rare pokemon, usually exclusive to a particular title) and former starter pokemon, but even those may make an appearance as well. Most, if not all, the pokemon you are seeing in Pokemon Go will be in Sun/Moon.

Is it true that Ash only uses his Kingler once? It somehow turns into the buffest most competent pokemon that he has (that listens to him), and decides to never use it again. What? I just read youtube comments saying he never uses it again.

But one thing I remember from watching the show in my childhood was that Ash used a Kingler in battle. I don't feel like I'd remember that as prominently if he only used it once, but I guess it is what it is.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yes, the only battle it took part in was the Indigo League which was its first match---it evolved from Krabby and did a full sweep.

Ash was going to use it in the Johto League but while training some Voltorb injured it, luckily Squirtle showed up so Ash used it instead against his opponent who specialized in Fire-type Pokemon.

It didn't make any battling appearances during the Battle Frontier or the Sinnoh League, and Best Wishes and XY didn't have any of the old Pokemon bar Charizard return to fight in any battles.

brinstar

Didn't he also use it in the Whirl Cup or whatever that was in Johto? I remember this sick animation of Kingler using Crabhammer on the water to make ranged shockwave attacks.

EDIT: yup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6GVDSVHYUA

I don't know how I remember this, I haven't seen this since it originally aired. That animation stuck with me lol

EDIT 2: wow that fight was pathetic

LFG

Neophyte
Sorry. Yes, you will need to use the Pokemon Bank to transfer from Red to the upcoming game (Sun/Moon). We don't know for sure how many pokemon will be obtainable in Sun/Moon, but I would bet on most of the common ones being present. Every video we have seen so far has showcased many pokemon from past generations, and some are even getting highlighted due to this year marking the 20th Anniversary of the series. The only pokemon that may be missing are legendaries (rare pokemon, usually exclusive to a particular title) and former starter pokemon, but even those may make an appearance as well. Most, if not all, the pokemon you are seeing in Pokemon Go will be in Sun/Moon.

Alright, cool! Thank you for clarifying :) Looks like I might just wait until Sun/Moon to dive into the pokemon universe!

So PokemonGo has gotten me super pumped for Sun & Moon. And I've been rewatching Indigo League on Netflix.

Been in such a Pokemon mood lately that I did a Charizard fanart :p

tumblr_oazpkyAayY1td58sxo1_1280.jpg

And some Progress pics

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yes, the only battle it took part in was the Indigo League which was its first match---it evolved from Krabby and did a full sweep.

Ash was going to use it in the Johto League but while training some Voltorb injured it, luckily Squirtle showed up so Ash used it instead against his opponent who specialized in Fire-type Pokemon.

It didn't make any battling appearances during the Battle Frontier or the Sinnoh League, and Best Wishes and XY didn't have any of the old Pokemon bar Charizard return to fight in any battles.

My Kingler has seen more action than Ash's Kingler and he's my reserve.

Honestly I always felt that Krabby was only used to show what would happen when Ash catches a 7th Pokémon.

Sewaddle was also the same but handled much better I feel as he came back frequency.

is this new? I don't remember XY Ash getting a figure at all.

Yeah I have seen those in GAME.

Pogonip

Neo Member
I figure the Pokemon Community Topic is as good a place as any to ask about the TV show since I can't make my own topic in OT yet.

I finish my summer internship this weekend so I'm going to have a large amount of free time for the next month before school starts up again, and with the Pokemon Go craze I've been tempted to watch the TV show/anime again. I'm essentially a "Genwunner" in terms of show watching, since I only watched some (not all) episodes of the Indigo League as a kid before I became a preteen and thus too edgy for Pokemon and later seasons. I've rekindled my love for it as an adult now, playing through each gen since Gold/Silver.

I've got some questions, particularly about later seasons, before I start watching:

- Anyway I can weed out the filler episodes from the good ones? From what I understand there's 800+ episodes and I'm guessing most of those are "flavour of the week" type episodes. Is there a list of all relevant episodes where Ash catches new pokemon/battles important trainers or gym leaders/introduces plot points mentioned later on?

- Any particular seasons of the show that are must watch even with filler? I've heard good things about the XY series, but what about the others? On the flipside, any seasons that aren't even worth watching?

- Do old characters in the newer seasons still make appearances/cameos? I'm aware Ash rotates through his traveling partners, but it'd be good to have Brock, Misty, Gary, Oak etc. make appearances.

- Does Team Rocket still make appearances in every single episode of the show? Do any of the new teams from the games make appearances or have any impact at all?

- Finally, for the new seasons, Dub or Subs? I'm gonna watch Indigo League as Dub for nostalgia's sake, but beyond that, I'm cool with switching to subs if the writing and voice acting is better.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
subs for old seasons are really hard to come by, PM only came around mid DP and have been only subbing older seasons as a side

honestly you really shouldn't have any problem immediately jumping into XY (subbed)

Top Bottom