• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Yes, the only battle it took part in was the Indigo League which was its first match---it evolved from Krabby and did a full sweep.

Ash was going to use it in the Johto League but while training some Voltorb injured it, luckily Squirtle showed up so Ash used it instead against his opponent who specialized in Fire-type Pokemon.

It didn't make any battling appearances during the Battle Frontier or the Sinnoh League, and Best Wishes and XY didn't have any of the old Pokemon bar Charizard return to fight in any battles.

Well that's disappointing.

- Anyway I can weed out the filler episodes from the good ones? From what I understand there's 800+ episodes and I'm guessing most of those are "flavour of the week" type episodes. Is there a list of all relevant episodes where Ash catches new pokemon/battles important trainers or gym leaders/introduces plot points mentioned later on?

- Any particular seasons of the show that are must watch even with filler? I've heard good things about the XY series, but what about the others? On the flipside, any seasons that aren't even worth watching?

- Do old characters in the newer seasons still make appearances/cameos? I'm aware Ash rotates through his traveling partners, but it'd be good to have Brock, Misty, Gary, Oak etc. make appearances.

- Does Team Rocket still make appearances in every single episode of the show? Do any of the new teams from the games make appearances or have any impact at all?

- Finally, for the new seasons, Dub or Subs? I'm gonna watch Indigo League as Dub for nostalgia's sake, but beyond that, I'm cool with switching to subs if the writing and voice acting is better.

I'm recently started watching the series from the beginning again too. I'm up to episode 75 in Indigo League.

My plan personally is to see how far I can go throughout the series before I get bored, then I'm gonna skip straight to XY.

With the filler stuff. I highly suggest at least starting off by not even worrying about filler and just watching the show. I'm finding it to be very enjoyable overall, even the episodes where it's clearly a bit irrelevant, but I don't find many of them to be too irrelevant. Play it by ear. If you're watching an episode that just bores you and feel like it's probably completely pointless, skip it. I've only had to do that with a handful of episodes so far, but if you REALLY want to just want to see the highly relevant stuff, then yeah there are filler lists out there.

My only experience with referencing a filler list has been bad so far. It told me to skip one episode that I ended up just watching because the episode description on wikipedia made it seem relevant, and man, the following episode would have lacked so much context if I hadn't watched the one that it told me I could skip. Also, I would have missed a Gary Oak showing. tf

I hope Hypnosis gets increased accuracy for gen VII. It annoyed me so much in Black 2 that it missed most of the time. It messes up my Drowzee/Hypno playstyle.
It would be cool if they could learn Spore with its magnificent 100 accuracy.

GoldStarz

I hope Hypnosis gets increased accuracy for gen VII. It annoyed me so much in Black 2 that it missed most of the time. It messes up my Drowzee/Hypno playstyle.

It's supposed to have shit accuracy. Sleep is right up there with Freeze in terms of OP status moves and a lot of people already think Spore is too OP because of the 100% chance of Sleep, but even then it's only available to about 7 Pokemon and still has counters like being unable to affect Grass types, Pokemon with the Overcoat or Magic Bounce ability, and Safety Goggles. You give Hypnosis 100% accuracy and only one of those counters is in place AND it's widely distributed with about 60 Pokemon having access to it (and that's in Gen VI, I'm not counting past Gens where a Pokemon could be transferred in from)

They tried that in gen 4. Gardevoir and Gengar tore up the competitive scene with it. And they didn't even make it 100%, it was only 70%.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hypnosis_(move)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Happy Birthday Joe, have a great day. :)

I'm not sure but I think Ash's Sewaddle is a girl?

At first I thought it was a girl but then I thought that I was getting confused with my Sewaddle, so assumed that his was male.

But I do know that out of Ash's Pokémon his Bayleef, Snivy and Unfezant are female.

I also think that his Aipom was also female but I am not 100% sure on that.

Hypnosis got nuff in Platinum due to how broken it can get.

It's supposed to have shit accuracy. Sleep is right up there with Freeze in terms of OP status moves and a lot of people already think Spore is too OP because of the 100% chance of Sleep, but even then it's only available to about 7 Pokemon and still has counters like being unable to affect Grass types, Pokemon with the Overcoat or Magic Bounce ability, and Safety Goggles. You give Hypnosis 100% accuracy and only one of those counters is in place AND it's widely distributed with about 60 Pokemon having access to it (and that's in Gen VI, I'm not counting past Gens where a Pokemon could be transferred in from)

Yep I was playing Pokémon Crystal and Zuku, my Noctowl was a beast with Hypnosis and nightmare combo.

In fact it's how we easily defeated Whitey, though Chika, my Bayleef did most of the work but she wouldn't have done it without Zuku sending Clefairy to sleep and easily taking her out leaving my team in full health for the Miltank of doom.

I don't care I want my increased accuracy gosh damn it!
They tried that in gen 4. Gardevoir and Gengar tore up the competitive scene with it. And they didn't even make it 100%, it was only 70%.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hypnosis_(move)

That link is blank.

Mr-Joker

Banned

60% accuracy isn't that bad and if you want more accuracy you equip either a Wide Lens or Zoom Lens to increase it.

Plus Pokémon with Compoundeyes ability have their accuracy increased by 30% and Pokémon the ability No Guard will never miss with their move but the drawback is that they will avoid any move either.

That link is blank.

Here

That link is blank.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hypnosis_(move))

In Diamond and Pearl, Hypnosis's accuracy was changed to 70%. In Platinum, it was changed back to 60%. In link battles between Diamond and Pearl and other versions, the accuracy is set to 60%.

You really want to make sleep conditions more abundant all because you want to use Hypno? Higher accuracy Hypnosis would be OP broken, as we've already seen.

Darryl

Banned
I went through and watched XY/Kalos/XYZ recently then looped back around to watch Indigo and holy smokes was the show better back then. I liked the new stuff still, but it's all filler compared to the old episodes. There's like 5 or 6 episode formats and most of the episodes fit into one of the molds. Also despite the show somehow having more Pokemon in it, it feels less about Pokemon. It's all about the shitty new side characters. And Team Rocket kept getting sold short despite having the only good character moments in the series. :/

brinstar

Don't tell me Ash never comes back for Pidgeot

never

I went through and watched XY/Kalos/XYZ recently then looped back around to watch Indigo and holy smokes was the show better back then. I liked the new stuff still, but it's all filler compared to the old episodes. There's like 5 or 6 episode formats and most of the episodes fit into one of the molds. Also despite the show somehow having more Pokemon in it, it feels less about Pokemon. It's all about the shitty new side characters. And Team Rocket kept getting sold short despite having the only good character moments in the series. :/

I love the humor/banter of the original show but holy crap are the battles/team building awful. There's not much progression to Ash's team because barely any of them evolve or learn anything and most of Brock and Misty's Pokemon feel entirely useless. (especially Brock)

Darryl

Banned
never

I love the humor/banter of the original show but holy crap are the battles/team building awful. There's not much progression to Ash's team because barely any of them evolve or learn anything and most of Brock and Misty's Pokemon feel entirely useless. (especially Brock)

The teams Pokemon is definitely better in the new series but I think the show itself better featured Pokemon in the old series. They are more important individually. Stuff like the Pokemon Showcase felt pretty hollow in how it treated Pokemon as tools and as an aesthetic.

The teams Pokemon is definitely better in the new series but I think the show itself better featured Pokemon in the old series. They are more important individually. Stuff like the Pokemon Showcase felt pretty hollow in how it treated Pokemon as tools and as an aesthetic.

Aside from Charizard, psyduck, and Pikachu, did any of the og pokemon really even have any consistent personality at all (Squirtle kind of had a personality on introduction, but it didn't feel consistent)? Also the og season had tons of filler, so I'm a bit confused

Aside from Charizard, psyduck, and Pikachu, did any of the og pokemon really even have any consistent personality at all (Squirtle kind of had a personality on introduction, but it didn't feel consistent)? Also the og season had tons of filler, so I'm a bit confused

Bulbasaur did, he was the grizzled veteran.

Darryl

Banned

If this new season had payed as much attention to the Pokemon as the og, the Pokemon Showcase would've probably been about Pancham since he's the only one of those Pokemon who even had a performing personality. Instead he's shown but no one cares about his motivations or struggles, or whatever. He is really flat in the show despite this huge arc that should have had him in the center.

It half fixates on Eevee for some reason - probably because she's cute - who gets somehow thrown into the arc. No where in the anime do they try to make it so Eevee herself wants to be a part of the showcase. Serena saw her dancing or something, then captured her and then pushed her into it. Really weird since they gave her tremendous social anxiety. It was probably some overcoming obstacles moral lesson, but it was really shallow since the arc actually revolved around Serena. Entirely around her. When the mentor comes to Serena and asks if she would like to train, Serena doesn't consult her Pokemon. She doesn't ask if Pancham wants to continue performing without her. It wouldnt fit if they did cuz it's essentially a human beauty contest and the show doesn't value Pokemon at all for this story. Its all about Aria. Aria Aria Aria. Not Aria's Pokemon. And this kinda attitude is pervasive around the newer seasons. You can put a Pokemon in every shot but it doesn't make it about Pokemon.

If you look back at the old episodes, you have less Pokemon in the main cast but the show isnt about the main cast as much. It's about how the main characters fit into this world of Pokemon.

Kyzer

Banned
so who are some pokemon in xy/z you guys think benefit most in the anime universe from the different rules and stuff? like muk, bellsprout, ghosts, and lickitung in season 1

TM25

Neo Member
so who are some pokemon in xy/z you guys think benefit most in the anime universe from the different rules and stuff? like muk, bellsprout, ghosts, and lickitung in season 1

Sawyer's Sceptile got to spam Leaf Storm and Frenzy Plant with no drawbacks. His Clawitzer was able to heal itself with Heal Pulse. Ash's Noivern has Keen Eye with echolocation going on.

In general the anime is inconsistent with secondary effects of moves and charge times.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I showed my love for the anime with this (hopefully) popular thread:

Pokemon Anime OP Retrospective

Took me probably five hours to do Mezase Pokemon Master, though I imagine later Openings might be a tad easier since they're less iconic.

Gonna try to do one a week or so.

If this new season had payed as much attention to the Pokemon as the og, the Pokemon Showcase would've probably been about Pancham since he's the only one of those Pokemon who even had a performing personality. Instead he's shown but no one cares about his motivations or struggles, or whatever. He is really flat in the show despite this huge arc that should have had him in the center.

It half fixates on Eevee for some reason - probably because she's cute - who gets somehow thrown into the arc. No where in the anime do they try to make it so Eevee herself wants to be a part of the showcase. Serena saw her dancing or something, then captured her and then pushed her into it. Really weird since they gave her tremendous social anxiety. It was probably some overcoming obstacles moral lesson, but it was really shallow since the arc actually revolved around Serena. Entirely around her. When the mentor comes to Serena and asks if she would like to train, Serena doesn't consult her Pokemon. She doesn't ask if Pancham wants to continue performing without her. It wouldnt fit if they did cuz it's essentially a human beauty contest and the show doesn't value Pokemon at all for this story. Its all about Aria. Aria Aria Aria. Not Aria's Pokemon. And this kinda attitude is pervasive around the newer seasons. You can put a Pokemon in every shot but it doesn't make it about Pokemon.

If you look back at the old episodes, you have less Pokemon in the main cast but the show isnt about the main cast as much. It's about how the main characters fit into this world of Pokemon.
This reads like some massive amount of nostalgia.

R0ckman

Im watching the league for xyz for the animation production and this new trainer Serena is head over hills for ash, like "I want to be this guy's wife" for him. Damn!

Btw, never saw a dude crying before during their league match. Laughed at that lol. Holding back his tears as he's crying out an attack, lol. I could not direct that scene without cracking up in the studio.

It seems like they are shooting for him to win this league? I guess they had no choice either, sun and moon is aparantly breaking the gym league mode so them being unsure if any leagues or gyms will be returning to the games means they have to give him a win if this could possibly be the last traditional region in a while. If pikachu wasnt the mascot Id be convinced they would take this chance to write ash off for introduction of the new character and region for sun/moon.

R0ckman

Where's my best bet for finding reasonably priced copies of HG/SS and BW1/2? Every copy of the former I'm seeing on Amazon is $70+, which is absurd.

God, I regret selling all my games way back when...

Damn, so glad I love gold and silver so I would never sell them.

Gengahrrr

Sawyer's Sceptile got to spam Leaf Storm and Frenzy Plant with no drawbacks. His Clawitzer was able to heal itself with Heal Pulse. Ash's Noivern has Keen Eye with echolocation going on.

In general the anime is inconsistent with secondary effects of moves and charge times.

Solar Beam is basically instantaneous, even in the rain.

60% accuracy isn't that bad and if you want more accuracy you equip either a Wide Lens or Zoom Lens to increase it.

Plus Pokémon with Compoundeyes ability have their accuracy increased by 30% and Pokémon the ability No Guard will never miss with their move but the drawback is that they will avoid any move either.

Here
Hell yeah it is! That shit was missing all the time and the Lens weren't good enough, besides I likes my Hypno/Drowzee with Leftovers.

You really want to make sleep conditions more abundant all because you want to use Hypno? Higher accuracy Hypnosis would be OP broken, as we've already seen.

Yes!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So apparently someone was blocked by Sugimori when they linked the "leaked" Alola Starter evolutions (robin hood, tiger wrestler, mermaid) to him on Twitter, though maybe he just got annoyed...

Then there's some YouTuber claiming we'll see the middle evolutions on August 1st, and a post the other day on /vp/ posting supposed descriptions written like those on the main site about said middle evolutions + sea cucumber from Chinese leak and three other Pokemon.

H-Happening?

Ezalc

Watched the latest episode of XYZ because league matches with rivals are usually hype. This was alright, I thought the two straight ties was pretty dull though. Best fights are still: Gary, Paul, Drake (orange league) and then Harrison in that order. Only reason Harrison is lower is because Charizard vs Blaziken was by far the best part about it but the rest of the matchups were kind of dull. Drake overall was more interesting IIRC. Still, nothing beats Gary's match after all that time from the rivalry. So good.

I'm hoping Ash uses his old pokemon against Allain, it doesn't seem like it'll happen which is a huge fucking shame since we won't get Charizard vs Charizard that we deserve (that shit fight between the two megas doesn't count). Also I want to see his old powerhouses back tearing shit up. I love his current team but we need the old guard showing up and teaching these guys how it's done. Hawlucha had that amazing intro and the dude ends up jobbing to Talonflame who barely did anything and doesn't even get the super effective bonus out of it. Some bullshit!

So apparently someone was blocked by Sugimori when they linked the "leaked" Alola Starter evolutions (robin hood, tiger wrestler, mermaid) to him on Twitter, though maybe he just got annoyed...

Then there's some YouTuber claiming we'll see the middle evolutions on August 1st, and a post the other day on /vp/ posting supposed descriptions written like those on the main site about said middle evolutions + sea cucumber from Chinese leak and three other Pokemon.

H-Happening?

Nah, I doubt it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
my favorite moments

ymnjen.gif

wqxzbg.gif

Hikami

First time posting here I think. Pokemon GO has really got me into Pokemon again.

Catching up on the X&Y anime and playing through Alpha Sapphire for the first time.

GoldStarz

Hell yeah it is! That shit was missing all the time and the Lens weren't good enough, besides I likes my Hypno/Drowzee with Leftovers.
1) That sounds like you just kinda have shit luck then tbh, that's a raise to 66 or 72% accuracy.
2) Then don't run Hypnosis.
3) If Hypnosis had higher accuracy, that would mean it would also have higher accuracy against you. Please try to consider that.

Even if there was a Mega Hypno it more than likely wouldn't be obtainable until Post-Game and it really doesn't sound like you're the type who'd play the meta.

Christian

Got Alpha Sapphire last year, played up to Mauville, then put it down for one reason or another.

Pokemon Go inspired me to dust off the ol' 3DS, and I'm having such a great time. Just picked up the National PokeDex after getting the eighth badge, and I'm really blown away by the scope and content in this one game. I've played every generation of Pokemon with the exception of Diamond/Pearl, but I really haven't played through to the end since Ruby/Sapphire on GBA. I really feel like there's enough to keep me entertained for months and months, when I finish and 100% most games in a week or two. I got Pokemon Y when it was on sale at Target, but I haven't started it, yet. Can't wait for Sun & Moon to see what else the developers added.

So, question: Does GAF have, like, a trading community to assist with evolutions and PokeDex completion? I'd really like to join, help, and benefit if there is.

Nodnol

Hey guys and girls.

So the Pokemon Go hype has got me reminiscing about Blue/Red. I can't find the cartridges at the moment.

However, I can find my original DS, and the charger too which was a stroke of luck.

I lost track of handheld gaming after the original DS; what games can I pick up for it? Pokemon Go has given me an itch that needs scratching. I don't know how the later DS models worked; am I gated from what I can play on my original DS?

WPS

Hey guys and girls.

So the Pokemon Go hype has got me reminiscing about Blue/Red. I can't find the cartridges at the moment.

However, I can find my original DS, and the charger too which was a stroke of luck.

I lost track of handheld gaming after the original DS; what games can I pick up for it? Pokemon Go has given me an itch that needs scratching. I don't know how the later DS models worked; am I gated from what I can play on my original DS?

An original DS can play gen 5 (BW, B2W2), gen 4 (DP, P, HGSS) and gen3 (RS, FRLG, E).

It can also play Ranger 1 to 3, Mystery Dungeon RB, TD and Sky, Dash and Pinball RS. Probably some other spin-offs too.

Nodnol

An original DS can play gen 5 (BW, B2W2), gen 4 (DP, P, HGSS) and gen3 (RS, FRLG, E).

It can also play Ranger 1 to 3, Mystery Dungeon RB, TD and Sky, Dash and Pinball RS. Probably some other spin-offs too.

Thank you. I'll go hunting around some of the second hand game shops and see if I can find some that haven't been marked up to coincide with the hype. Don't think I'll have much luck there though; some of the prices on online retailers are silly.

Top Bottom