• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

GoldStarz

The motherfucker is named Hypno. What kind of shit!?
And his JP name is Sleeper, maybe you should run Rest on him instead.

Yes, you can in fact run a Hypno without Hypnosis, it is not only possible, it's generally recommended.

I don't give a fuck!
You will when an npc sweeps your bad-at-battling ass under the rug because they had the faster Pokemon and put all your team to sleep before knocking the shit out of them.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I finally defeated Red in Pokémon Crystal, it was a tough battle but my team managed to overpower him.

My team;

CokWm2KXgAEN0Ly.jpg

First off we have my faithful starter Char, he showed Red Charizard who's boss.

Next we have Poli who went from be a meekly Poliwag to the fearsome Poliwarth.

Next we have Buu who despite being an unevolved Pokémon he packs a punch.

Next up we have Zee who is a bit of a pervert regardless if the female is a Pokémon or not, Buu looks up to him like a big brother.

Next we have Usok he was the joker of the team and applied that tacit in battle.

And lastly we have Milta who was the mother of the group and kept Zee under control, Buu is quite fond of her.

But that is not all as during our quest in Kanto I swapped out Zee, Usok and Milta for three new members and they are;

First up on the Kanto team we have Zor who we caught and won in the bug catching contest, he's very fast and proud of his speed which he used to overpower Red's Espeon.

Next we have Airyu who we got from the Dragon Master, he worked really hard to become the majestic Dragonite.

Lastly we have Pom who is such a cheeky monkey.

But we couldn't done the adventure without the reserve Pokémon who helped in battle and outside.

First up we have Chika, who was amazing during the battle against Whitney's Miltank

Next up we have Zuku who couldn't fly when he was a Hoothoot but eventually learned to soar as a Noctowl

Next we have Maru, who may not be a powerhouse but that doesn't mean that he doesn't try his hardest.

Next we have Kra-Kra who was happy to lend his strength many times.

Next we have Snea who was a great help against Clair with his Speed and power.

And lastly we have Giras who was a very late capture so his strength is unknown but I get the feeling that one day he will grow to become a powerhouse.

I will be taking a break from my Pokémon run to play Digimon Cyber Sleuth and I will jump back into Pokémon in September with Pokémon Ruby.

I've only ever played Pokemon Diamond, and haven't played a Pokemon game since...until now.

I'm playing Pokemon Y and all I can think is, how would one go about getting a Piplup?

I want a Piplup.

I've only ever played Pokemon Diamond, and haven't played a Pokemon game since...until now.

I'm playing Pokemon Y and all I can think is, how would one go about getting a Piplup?

I want a Piplup.

Try the GTS, it's pretty good as long as you deposit attractive trades and even if you haven't seen it you can just input the Pokémon's name. Fair trades happen fast, that is why you often see people asking for Legendaries when offering something lesser. Just be sure to advoid offering the unevolved starters or Eevee, because alot of people breed them and put them on the GTS. This makes it somewhat difficult for someone to find yours even if it is a fair trade. I personally like breeding Pokémon with hidden abilities and mention it in the message make it more attractive.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Choose your Kalos Starter.

Go onto the GTS and request a Piplup for your Kalos Starter.

"5IVs".

Shouldn't take more than an hour.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
God the RTTP Pokemon thread at the BEST POKEMON EVER

It's gonna be tough topping MOTHERFUCKING TYRANTRUM

I FEEL SO ELATED

To be fair..ash earned most of the orange league badges at least. I cannot defend kanto tho lol

It's pretty funny how many scenarios they came up with that allows Ash to unconventionally earn a badge.

I would say he earned the badges he got from Surge, Koga, and Blaine.

I like not counting Blaine because Charizard was fighting on his own circumstance rather than wanting to help out Ash.

Ash only beat one of Koga's Pokemon and got awarded the badge when Koga initially said it would be a 2 on 2 battle.

yep aim for the horn totally earned that badge for him

I can sort of understand Charizard's feelings. I'm surprised Pokemon are so tolerant about being slaves to random 10 year olds.

Kyzer

Banned
I like not counting Blaine because Charizard was fighting on his own circumstance rather than wanting to help out Ash.

hey that counts even if the pokemon doesnt obey!

haha its like kanto was like them experimenting with pokemon adventure type ideas to be able to shounen trap card battles in clever ways.

what i do like about the anime is the way they consistently treat gym leaders as powerful and evolved pokemon are a big deal in terms of power. i feel like kanto they made the gym leaders and league this totally out of reach thing and ash was kind of some scrub getting lucky all the time but had a good heart

Foxxsoxx

Finally got to playing Alpha Sapphire after a couple years of Pokemon games. So good. I'm actually hyped for Sun and Moon, I never thought I'd say that about a Pokemon game again after seeing the monstrosity of some of the BW pokos.

Delio

So I finally defeated Red in Pokémon Crystal, it was a tough battle but my team managed to overpower him.

I will be taking a break from my Pokémon run to play Digimon Cyber Sleuth and I will jump back into Pokémon in September with Pokémon Ruby.

Had to pop in here and say I love giving personalities to your party members. Just makes them feel more real.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I would say he earned the badges he got from Surge, Koga, and Blaine.

In the Kanto arc the badges that Ash actually earned were;

-Surge
-Koga
-Blaine
-Team Rocket, such a lame move how the animé fucking copped out the Ash vs Giovanni battle.

yep aim for the horn totally earned that badge for him

Actually no, he lost that battle and he earned it in a rematch with Charizard Vs Magmar, though the animator drew Charizard a freakishly long neck for some reason. -_-;

Not really, Charizard actually was obeying Ash's order during that fight as he wanted to fight Magmar.

Sadly winning that fight ended up boosting Charizard 's ego.

Had to pop in here and say I love giving personalities to your party members. Just makes them feel more real.

Yeah it does, for example with Kra-Kra I was actually after a Staryu but I when I fished Kra-Kra up and I just looked at him and just felt a connection and ended up using him instead.

GoldStarz

Finally got to playing Alpha Sapphire after a couple years of Pokemon games. So good. I'm actually hyped for Sun and Moon, I never thought I'd say that about a Pokemon game again after seeing the monstrosity of some of the BW pokos.

Sorry you missed out on The Best Gen.

Vena

So...

... is Torterra the worst starter ever made? (Even if he looks awesome.)

Also how fabulous is Mega Ampharos? Super fabulous.

My daughter has one heck of a imagination. She recently went to Disney world and she used her time there and came up with how she met her and raise her Eevee team.

"Her Story"

She met the local professor because he was a family friend of our extended family. He offered her a starter Pokémon and she had a pick from every starter Pokémon but she refuse because she wanted a Eevee as a starter. He told her that his friend runs a Pokémon Day care at the base of Cinderella castle.

After arriving at the Pokémon day care she met the day care couple and she learned that there was a trainer there and he bred many Eevee's but left behind the ones he felt like wasn't worth raising so she offered to help the daycare couple if they let her take any of the six Eevee's. The daycare couple was so please by her sincerity that the Eevee's were not anyone's waste of time they offered her 6 of the Eevee's.

After playing, training, and getting to know each of her new Eevee's for awhile. She heard a rumor of a powerful Eevee trainer who won a regional league and he was at Big Thunder Mountain.

Big Thunder Mountain

She reaches the Pokémon Center at the base of Big Thunder Mountain. She over hears nurse Joy speak about a Eevee trainer who help save a couple of Hikers and who may still be at the Top of Big Thunder Mountain. Nurse Joy warned her that strong trainers train in the mountain and they may challenge her to a battle if they spot her. She told nurse Joy her Eevee friends can handle anything and anyone! She stocks up on Potions, revives, antidotes, and food.

After walking into the base of the mountain she was spotted and challenged by her first Pokémon trainers.

The Ace Trainer sent out a Sentret first. She had a Eevee in mind that she wanted to use but before picking her the youngest Eevee of the group came out of its Pokeball by itself. This Eevee was impatient and loved running as fast as he can.

She was nervous and scared. When the match began she shouted Double Team! To protect her Eevee. Even with a Double Team it didn't stop him getting hit by a strong tackle attack. She countered with a series of quick attacks followed by another Double Team. After confusing the Sentret with her Eevee's building Speed she finished the battle with a Critical Quick Attack.

After the first round the Ace Trainer ask her if she battle before and she said no. The Ace Trainer Sighed and trained with her with a series of mock battles. After the fifth one she was well versed for a beginner. After Training with the Ace Trainer her youngest Eevee was drawn to the Ace Trainers backpack. The Ace Trainer told her that he had a Electric Stone in his backpack and they were pretty common on top of Big Thunder. She asked her Eevee if he wanted to become a Jolteon and he was excited at the idea.

She said her goodbyes and thanks to the Ace Trainer and told him that she was on a quest to challenge and beat the legendary Eevee trainer. She encountered many trainers going up Big Thunder Mountain and each time she used the tactics she learned while training with the Ace Trainer and won each battle. Her Eevee team and herself became more skilled, confident, and stronger with each win. Just before she reached the peak of the mountain she found a Thunder Stone! After reconfirming with her youngest Eevee she evolved him into a Jolteon!

Sage of Big Thunder Mountain

After reaching the peak of Big Thunder Mountain She only saw one person and it wasn't the legendary Eevee trainer. It was some old guy dressed weirdly. When she asked the old man if he saw a Pokémon trainer who battled only using the various Eeveelution the old guy laughed. Quickly getting annoyed she was about to storm off and the old guy said "young miss, if you want answers to your questions you must first beat my Medicham."

Fighting types, her current teams biggest weakness. She sends out Jolteon! She starts the battle with a swift attack! After taking light damage the Sage orders a Fire Punch! After one hit her Jolteon was barely hanging on. The sage chuckled and told her that he would allow her to use two Pokémon. She imidiately switched out for her oldest Eevee. She screams out use Wish! The sage orders Force Palm! Eevee dodges the attack! She counters with a Yawn! Then Switches out for Jolteon! As soon as Jolteon enters the battle he receives Eevee's Wish healing him. The sage orders a Force Palm and Jolteon attacks with a Thunder Shock, both moves collides with both Pokémon receiving damage. Medicham falls asleep. Realizing her opportunity she attacks with a Thunder Shock. Does major damage! She screams Thundershock! The sage orders a Fire Punch! Medicham wakes and lands a critical Fire Punch knocking out her Jolteon. She quickly sends out her oldest Eevee. She screams Wish and the Sage orders a Force Palm, she screams for her Eevee to dodge but to no avail. Medicham knocks out her Eevee. After the battle she heals her Pokémon.

The sage approaches her and tells her he knows why she's there. She asks how and the sage replies with "well you're kind of a loud mouth." While chuckling. He then tells her that the legendary Eevee trainer is on a quest to capture a Suicune, Raikou, and Entei which are rencarnations of Jolteon, Vaporean, and Flareon. He told her that the last thing the legendary Eevee trainer said to him were that he was headed to the libraries of a Haunted Mansion for info on the legendary three.

As she walk away for her ride down the mountain the sage said "never lose sight of the light" she shrugged and said ok. Then went down the mountain at blistering speed.

My kid came home with this insane and well thought out Pokémon story. She covered and has a back story for every one of her Eeveelution. It took her a couple hours to tell me the whole story. This was just a small part of it.
I didn't even know she knew what a Medicham was.

Trust me, I left out alot of details of her journey in Big Thunder Mountain.

Foxxsoxx

Sorry you missed out on The Best Gen.

Nah I played BW1 and as a game loved it, awesome weather patterns and tons of content. That being said it had some bad designs. More than any other Gen unfortunately, though it did have a some solid ones there, the bad ones were just awful. As for BW2, I did skip out on that one.

Vena

No, because poor Meganium exists.

I seriously forgot that existed... wow.

torterra is that bad?

Yes.
Oh god, Meganium is absolutely the worst.

Really, there's never any reason to use any Gen II starter other than Cyndaquil.

Gator and Phlosion are used rather regularly or have their little niches. Heck, Gator is like a worse version of Nidoking. I love Typhlosion but he's hard to use as his movepool is limited to a crippling degree. If he had Intimidate over Flash Fire he'd be ace, though. :p

Maz

So Pokemon Go got me all excited about pokemon again, so I went out and bought Y. That was a huge mistake, it only took me 2 hrs to realize that I wasnt enjoying myself and 3hrs to quit.

A few days later I tried battling gyms in Go, wtf have they done. How did anyone invovled in any pokemon game ever approve of that, the beauty of the pokemon games was the fact that they are JRPG noob friendly with great depth if you wanted to invest in it.

Disgusted by Go I went to the eshop and downloaded yellow. I'm 6hrs in and loving it so far mostly because of the gen1 pokemon. I've played red/yellow several times, collected the cards, and watched the anime when I was a kid. But I havent liked anyhting after Gen1, I just cant bring myself to care about the pokemon.

I find it amazing that its been almost 10years since I last played a gen1 pokemon game but I was able to name almost all the pokemon in Go to friends/family by description.

Anyways the whole point of this post is that I really want to be excited about pokemon again (sun/moon) but I just look at the pokemon and my brain goes "not happening". I just want to know is there anyone else in the same situation as me where they can only enjoy gen1?

Fyi I played the following games but never managed to finish them: gold, ruby, black/white, and Y.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
it just means you're only into Gen 1 and generally it's probably an exercise in frustration to make you enjoy later

just move on etc.

I just want to know is there anyone else in the same situation as me where they can only enjoy gen1?
There are plenty of people in your boat. They can be sorted into two broad categories, really: The reasonable ones (like you) and the absurd ones that we call "genwunners".

"I prefer Gen I because I find the Pokémon familiar and just like the designs more" = reasonable.
"Gen I 4 lyfe, the newer gens are fucking trash, an ice cream cone WTF is this shit" = genwunner

Delio

I

Yeah it does, for example with Kra-Kra I was actually after a Staryu but I when I fished Kra-Kra up and I just looked at him and just felt a connection and ended up using him instead.

I'm currently Nuzlocking Platinum and I have a Kricketune that has been avoiding death constantly and making risky plays with Bide. I'm grown attached to my Little Musa despite knowing she is pretty weak overall.

demonkaze

Been thinking about playing a Pokemon game before sun and moon and wasn't too sure which one. I have and played the first hour or so of Y and OMega Ruby but don't remember much of either, what's the one to go for?

GoldStarz

Been thinking about playing a Pokemon game before sun and moon and wasn't too sure which one. I have and played the first hour or so of Y and OMega Ruby but don't remember much of either, what's the one to go for?
If you're playing for the main campaign then ORAS is the one to go for, XY's campaign is kinda a mess due to conflicting directional ideas (wanting to advance the franchise in story like BW vs. appealing/catering/pandering to Genwunners)

Actually no, he lost that battle and he earned it in a rematch with Charizard Vs Magmar, though the animator drew Charizard a freakishly long neck for some reason. -_-;

oh wow i just straight up forgot about that, goes to show how much care about OS as whole, come to think of it a barely remember anything from johto

speaking of johto now that i think about the gen 2 starters are the only starter set where not one of them is good in comp right?

Kyzer

Banned
My daughter has one heck of a imagination. She recently went to Disney world and she used her time there and came up with how she met her and raise her Eevee team.

"Her Story"

She met the local professor because he was a family friend of our extended family. He offered her a starter Pokémon and she had a pick from every starter Pokémon but she refuse because she wanted a Eevee as a starter. He told her that his friend runs a Pokémon Day care at the base of Cinderella castle.

After arriving at the Pokémon day care she met the day care couple and she learned that there was a trainer there and he bred many Eevee's but left behind the ones he felt like wasn't worth raising so she offered to help the daycare couple if they let her take any of the six Eevee's. The daycare couple was so please by her sincerity that the Eevee's were not anyone's waste of time they offered her 6 of the Eevee's.

After playing, training, and getting to know each of her new Eevee's for awhile. She heard a rumor of a powerful Eevee trainer who won a regional league and he was at Big Thunder Mountain.

Big Thunder Mountain

She reaches the Pokémon Center at the base of Big Thunder Mountain. She over hears nurse Joy speak about a Eevee trainer who help save a couple of Hikers and who may still be at the Top of Big Thunder Mountain. Nurse Joy warned her that strong trainers train in the mountain and they may challenge her to a battle if they spot her. She told nurse Joy her Eevee friends can handle anything and anyone! She stocks up on Potions, revives, antidotes, and food.

After walking into the base of the mountain she was spotted and challenged by her first Pokémon trainers.

The Ace Trainer sent out a Sentret first. She had a Eevee in mind that she wanted to use but before picking her the youngest Eevee of the group came out of its Pokeball by itself. This Eevee was impatient and loved running as fast as he can.

She was nervous and scared. When the match began she shouted Double Team! To protect her Eevee. Even with a Double Team it didn't stop him getting hit by a strong tackle attack. She countered with a series of quick attacks followed by another Double Team. After confusing the Sentret with her Eevee's building Speed she finished the battle with a Critical Quick Attack.

After the first round the Ace Trainer ask her if she battle before and she said no. The Ace Trainer Sighed and trained with her with a series of mock battles. After the fifth one she was well versed for a beginner. After Training with the Ace Trainer her youngest Eevee was drawn to the Ace Trainers backpack. The Ace Trainer told her that he had a Electric Stone in his backpack and they were pretty common on top of Big Thunder. She asked her Eevee if he wanted to become a Jolteon and he was excited at the idea.

She said her goodbyes and thanks to the Ace Trainer and told him that she was on a quest to challenge and beat the legendary Eevee trainer. She encountered many trainers going up Big Thunder Mountain and each time she used the tactics she learned while training with the Ace Trainer and won each battle. Her Eevee team and herself became more skilled, confident, and stronger with each win. Just before she reached the peak of the mountain she found a Thunder Stone! After reconfirming with her youngest Eevee she evolved him into a Jolteon!

Sage of Big Thunder Mountain

After reaching the peak of Big Thunder Mountain She only saw one person and it wasn't the legendary Eevee trainer. It was some old guy dressed weirdly. When she asked the old man if he saw a Pokémon trainer who battled only using the various Eeveelution the old guy laughed. Quickly getting annoyed she was about to storm off and the old guy said "young miss, if you want answers to your questions you must first beat my Medicham."

Fighting types, her current teams biggest weakness. She sends out Jolteon! She starts the battle with a swift attack! After taking light damage the Sage orders a Fire Punch! After one hit her Jolteon was barely hanging on. The sage chuckled and told her that he would allow her to use two Pokémon. She imidiately switched out for her oldest Eevee. She screams out use Wish! The sage orders Force Palm! Eevee dodges the attack! She counters with a Yawn! Then Switches out for Jolteon! As soon as Jolteon enters the battle he receives Eevee's Wish healing him. The sage orders a Force Palm and Jolteon attacks with a Thunder Shock, both moves collides with both Pokémon receiving damage. Medicham falls asleep. Realizing her opportunity she attacks with a Thunder Shock. Does major damage! She screams Thundershock! The sage orders a Fire Punch! Medicham wakes and lands a critical Fire Punch knocking out her Jolteon. She quickly sends out her oldest Eevee. She screams Wish and the Sage orders a Force Palm, she screams for her Eevee to dodge but to no avail. Medicham knocks out her Eevee. After the battle she heals her Pokémon.

The sage approaches her and tells her he knows why she's there. She asks how and the sage replies with "well you're kind of a loud mouth." While chuckling. He then tells her that the legendary Eevee trainer is on a quest to capture a Suicune, Raikou, and Entei which are rencarnations of Jolteon, Vaporean, and Flareon. He told her that the last thing the legendary Eevee trainer said to him were that he was headed to the libraries of a Haunted Mansion for info on the legendary three.

As she walk away for her ride down the mountain the sage said "never lose sight of the light" she shrugged and said ok. Then went down the mountain at blistering speed.

My kid came home with this insane and well thought out Pokémon story. She covered and has a back story for every one of her Eeveelution. It took her a couple hours to tell me the whole story. This was just a small part of it.
I didn't even know she knew what a Medicham was.

Trust me, I left out alot of details of her journey in Big Thunder Mountain.

please encourage this side of her, shes got a hell of a brain! haha

"As she walk away for her ride down the mountain the sage said "never lose sight of the light"" god damn

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Less than 24 hours remain. So hyped!
I honestly don't care what they show. New mons, new characters, new mechanics, new locations... Alola's got me wrapped around its finger.

DaBoss

Sun & Moon just feels shrouded in mystery. It seems like it isn't sticking to the formula like it has been for ages, and that really interests me. X/Y was more of a "omg, 3D Pokemon mainline game" thing. And then the unconventional timing for the release as well as taking a year off in releases for presumably Gen VII makes me really optimistic despite Gen VI's shortcomings outside of online features.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So er the latest update made Pokémon Go flat out awful.

So...

... is Torterra the worst starter ever made? (Even if he looks awesome.)

No way man, Torterra is awesome.

That's adorable, you should encourage her to create more story and who know maybe she might get a passion to write story.

As for BW2, I did skip out on that one.

You should play Black and White 2, they are pretty good and have the best post game content with amazing music.

Typhlosion is garbage and a poor man Eruption user.

Plus Typhlosion is just a poor man Charizard.

Sun & Moon just feels shrouded in mystery. It seems like it isn't sticking to the formula like it has been for ages, and that really interests me. X/Y was more of a "omg, 3D Pokemon mainline game" thing. And then the unconventional timing for the release as well as taking a year off in releases for presumably Gen VII makes me really optimistic despite Gen VI's shortcomings outside of online features.

Yeah X and Y was a paint by the number game but without any passion put into it and the end result reflected that.

So far I am impressed with Gen 7 but I hope to have the same feeling that I have for gen 4 and 5 when I play the game come November.

Don't suppose anyone would be willing to donate me a Smoochum and a couple of other things?

Living pokedex is hard.

For a sec I thought you were asking someone to give you a smooch and I was like o_O;

So er the latest update made Pokémon Go flat out awful.

No way man, Torterra is awesome.

That's adorable, you should encourage her to create more story and who know maybe she might get a passion to write story.

You should play Black and White 2, they are pretty good and have the best post game content with amazing music.

Plus Typhlosion is just a poor man Charizard.

Yeah X and Y was a paint by the number game but without any passion put into it and the end result reflected that.

So far I am impressed with Gen 7 but I hope to have the same feeling that I have for gen 4 and 5 when I play the game come November.

For a sec I thought you were asking someone to give you a smooch and I was like o_O;

Well if you're offering.

please encourage this side of her, shes got a hell of a brain! haha

"As she walk away for her ride down the mountain the sage said "never lose sight of the light"" god damn

;

Not only did I encourage her as soon as she got done I rewarded her. I took her to a ice cream place and we spoke more about the story.

I was shocked because usually a 12 year old would never have themselves losing in a story or have themselves be the reason something went wrong but in thus story she had her fair share of growing experienced.

She told me the entire story. There were 8 plot points total. The first 6 were how she evolved her Eevee team with character and her Eevee growth. The 7th plot point was facing Team Hook. The 8th plot point was broken into 2 parts 1st part being coming even closer to her team and strengthening their bond by finding and bringing out their potential, a legendary encounter with a final show down.

Though she hasn't told me the ending. There was some tear Jerking moments in legendary encounters.

Top Bottom