• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

tamminen

Go got me all nostalgic and Im ready to play some Pokemon once again. Theres a really good deal on 3ds in my local store so the timing is perfect. Problem is, last game I properly played was Silver on GBC and after that Ive only briefly tested some game on my sisters DS.

Where should I start? Get the newest one available while waiting for Sun/Moon or perhaps try an older one? Am I gonna get overwhelmed by the new stuff since Ive only played gen2 before and that was what.. 15 years ago?

Where should I start? Get the newest one available while waiting for Sun/Moon or perhaps try an older one? Am I gonna get overwhelmed by the new stuff since Ive only played gen2 before and that was what.. 15 years ago?
You won't be overwhelmed, because every game treats the player as though this was their first time picking up a Pokemon game. Everything that has happened since Gen 2 that's present in S/M will be explained by an NPC. If you want to pick up a game to play while you wait, I'd go for X/Y since it has the most available pokemon in-game, as well as the introduction of Mega Evolution.

Kneefoil

I highly doubt you're going to be overwhelmed: Pokémon has changed very little.

If you only care about the single player part of Pokémon, the only really noteworthy changes that are going to affect your experience are Fairy type, moves being split into special and physical independently instead of being split by type, and Pokémon having passive abilities. Even Mega Evolutions really aren't a big deal for single player.

Hikami

So I'm catching up on the XY anime and good god.. does Team Rocket appear every episode? I'm only like 10 in and it's getting pretty annoying.

GoldStarz

Not every one, but like 95%.
This is the area where Black/White excels.

lol Before starting X/Y I heard that they really toned down the Rocket appearances.
then... they kept.
showing.
up.
FOR NO REAL REASON.

There were so many plot that would've been fine without their involvement but they were just kinda shoved in there it's like... so annoying.

lol Before starting X/Y I heard that they really toned down the Rocket appearances.
then... they kept.
showing.
up.
FOR NO REAL REASON.

There were so many plot that would've been fine without their involvement but they were just kinda shoved in there it's like... so annoying.

It gets better as you get into XY, but yeah, they're absolutely the worst part of the show

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
then... they kept.
showing.
up.
FOR NO REAL REASON.

they get less prominent as the show went on

like I said they even actively avoid Ash

Was there a flashback to Pidgeot in one of the X/Y episodes? I could have sworn I saw a thumbnail of a redrawn flashback scene somewhere with Ash and Pidgeot.

Not really, Charizard actually was obeying Ash's order during that fight as he wanted to fight Magmar.

It's not fully a testament to Ash's skill/achievements as a trainer. Charizard wasn't listening to him because he respected him as a trainer.

GoldStarz

Was there a flashback to Pidgeot in one of the X/Y episodes? I could have sworn I saw a thumbnail of a redrawn flashback scene somewhere with Ash and Pidgeot.

It's not fully a testament to Ash's skill/achievements as a trainer. Charizard wasn't listening to him because he respected him as a trainer.

IIRC, Charizard only respected Ash because Ash saved his life after he got sick in the Orange Islands. You could make the argument that Charizard was just kinda a dick and that it had nothing to do with his level as a trainer.
It gets better as you get into XY, but yeah, they're absolutely the worst part of the show

they get less prominent as the show went on

like I said they even actively avoid Ash
Oh I'm caught up. I skipped a several filler eps though so I could've been a lot worse.

MANUELF

Banned
IIRC, Charizard only respected Ash because Ash saved his life after he got frozen in the Orange Islands. You could make the argument that Charizard was just kinda a dick and that it had nothing to do with his level as a trainer.
Fixed but yeah neither charmeleon or charizard had any reason to not obey Ash

Menitta

Team Rocket do have way more moments that made me actually laugh though. I've never straight up laughed at any Team Rocket gags. Specifically the blast off where James shouts Wobbuffet

Fixed but yeah neither charmeleon or charizard had any reason to not obey Ash
I always saw it as a haphazard way of showing traded Pokemon leveling up past the badges. I guess Charmander was chosen to be the one because it was arguably the only Pokemon Ash had that was owned by another trainer. It definitely wasn't traded however and it lasted way after getting the Earth Badge.

Boss Doggie

They start avoiding ash? LOL LOL LOL It's about time they smarten up a little!

basically if their plans have bigger scope (e.g. that power plant in kalos that can "brainwash" electric mons due to science of electricity), they avoid Ash because they know somehow his Pikachu will foil their plans

And more often than not, their goal isn't to get pikachu but other mons, and pikachu is usually just ignored or is treated as a bonuns

I always saw it as a haphazard way of showing traded Pokemon leveling up past the badges. I guess Charmander was chosen to be the one because it was arguably the only Pokemon Ash had that was owned by another trainer. It definitely wasn't traded however and it lasted way after getting the Earth Badge.
I think it's just one of those things people shouldn't try applying game logic to.

Ash was a novice trainer, Charmeleon (and later Charizard) became a dick after evolving. They talked about personality shifts when Pokemon evolve while debating whether or not to evolve Pikachu.

Wiseblade

Let's say that despite all evidence to the contrary, I wanted to believe that this is the run and that Ash will actually win the Kalos league. Is there a viewing guide that will get me caught up on the highlights so I can experience what is sure to be the latest in a long string of crushing disappointments as it happens? Or do I have to watch every episode in XY?

Boss Doggie

Let's say that despite all evidence to the contrary, I wanted to believe that this is the run and that Ash will actually win the Kalos league. Is there a viewing guide that will get me caught up on the highlights so I can experience what is sure to be the latest in a long string of crushing disappointments as it happens? Or do I have to watch every episode in XY?

that

ViciousDS

Banned
Hey GAF

I just found my pokemon white version

I now have currently X, AS and White

I originally have played sapphire and ruby. The whole being able to obtain a ton of legendaries isn't a huge deal to me. I have heard you can obtain a ton in AS though. I don't mind megas at all. But right now I'm leaning towards White for actually completing it first since soul silver is so fucking expensive. White would probably be a breath of fresh air and get me to know the newer gen a little bit since you are forced to use them only until the completion of the game. I actually know very, very few pokemon after ruby or sapphire lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What are the chances Alain wins without even using a full team?

That scan with Metagross says something like "third and last Pokemon". :/ But that doesn't seem right since we know he also has Weavile, so that's four?

GoldStarz

Here's a ep list

so uh

azvxZT3.png

Watch Da Birdie

I guess that girl is Ash's traveling companion? Also confirming Ash and Pikachu are back.

Guess Litten 3 is gonna get an early filler episode or something.

WPS

Ta.

I've sadly seen a glimpse of Owlet's evo (did look cool though), and I think I've seen Litten's evo clearly. I am unspoiled on Poplio's evo, but from descriptions I dread to know what it might look like. I wonder if I should switch to picking Poplio so I can still have the moment of anticipation when it evolves or just stick with Owlet...

Watch Da Birdie

Mallow is described as being an awkward cook on the official site, and in the concept art we see her
cooking using Litten 3's crotch.

So like reverse-Cilan basically.

Busaiku

So who is Ash's male companion gonna be.
Kiawe seems to hotblooded and I doubt Sophocles is up since 2 Pikachu will be unbalanced.

Watch Da Birdie

So who is Ash's male companion gonna be.
Kiawe seems to hotblooded and I doubt Sophocles is up since 2 Pikachu will be unbalanced.

Maybe they'll mix things up and give him two girls and throw in the Water gal.

Watch Da Birdie

I guess now that we have one of the possible companions revealed in the games we'll get our first anime poster any day now.

Top Bottom