• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Apoc87

Banned
I know this has probably been asked a million times before. But i can only afford one of the 3ds eshop pokemon titles. Never played a lick of pokemon before. Which one is best to start with, red blue or yellow?

Kinsei

Banned
I know this has probably been asked a million times before. But i can only afford one of the 3ds eshop pokemon titles. Never played a lick of pokemon before. Which one is best to start with, red blue or yellow?

b6ywr9mdrj9h8mebb3f9.png

These are the version exclusive Pokemon. Get the one that has the designs you like more.

Kneefoil

Depends what you're looking for. Personally I prefer Red and Blue over Yellow, because Yellow shoves in some stuff from the anime like, and to me the game and anime universes are completely separate from each other, so I see R&B more "pure" ways of experiencing Gen I than Yellow. In Yellow you can get all the starters in just one playthrough instead of just one though, so if that's what you want, pick Yellow. Yellow also has some updated sprite work for Pokémon.

As for Red vs. Blue, they're pretty much the same game but with some different Pokémon. Kinsei already got you covered on what's exclusive to which version.

But it is accurate?

whos red?

to some degree yeah but he doesn't bring up the points like most of the in game text from npc usually has them talking about how they are friends with there pokemon and how much they care for them, the is also a invisible friendship stat for each pokemon that effect them in various different ways

also this is red

he is the guy who you play as in red, blue and yellow. you can change his name but his cannon name is red

this is ash

Ash is the main character of the pokemon anime and is based on red

red is you typical silent protagonist while has is more along the lines of a typical shonen protagonist

they same thing goes for blue and gary, blue is the character for the games and gary is from the anime who is based on blue

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What are the chances Alain wins without even using a full team?

That scan with Metagross says something like "third and last Pokemon". :/ But that doesn't seem right since we know he also has Weavile, so that's four?

You misread the blurb

XY&Z37:
>Ash and Alan face off in the Kalos League finals! It's known that Alan has a Charizard and a Metagross on hand, but it's a complete mystery what he'll send out as his third Pokémon!!

>Blurbs:
>*Ash fights together with Pikachu!
>*Alan's Metagross battles Pikachu. The difference in size between them is enormous!!

In fact the scan outright states the final match is Ash Greninja vs Zard X, and the outcome will determine the Kalos champ.

yeah here is what each of the crystals look like

DW0JaVH.png

also all the type symbles

Kamen Rider called. They want their collectibles back.

Busaiku

Maybe to balance out Megas, Z-Moves will be a 5th move, and Pokémon can use hold items, but it doesn't work with Mega Evolution.

Alolan forms look like they're permanent so their stats might just re-arranged like most forms, instead of getting a higher BST like megas.

Skatterd

Maybe to balance out Megas, Z-Moves will be a 5th move, and Pokémon can use hold items, but it doesn't work with Mega Evolution.

Z-Moves are moves of great power that can only be used once per battle.
If a Pokemon holds the same variety of Z-Crystal, the two will be able to resonate with one another.
There are two conditions for performing Z-Moves: a Pokemon must learn a move of the same type as a Z-Crystal, and it must be holding the corresponding Z-Crystal.

Busaiku

Z-Moves are moves of great power that can only be used once per battle.
If a Pokemon holds the same variety of Z-Crystal, the two will be able to resonate with one another.
There are two conditions for performing Z-Moves: a Pokemon must learn a move of the same type as a Z-Crystal, and it must be holding the corresponding Z-Crystal.
Welp, this is not a check to Megas at all.

Weebos

Banned
So, how are the 3DS ports of R/B/Y? I have a new 3DS XL, and I've been tempted. o.o

Good? They're identical to the Gameboy games, but link cable functionality is replaced with Wireless.

I just finished up a Nuzlocke of Blue, I had fun, picked up Yellow afterwards since I only played it once when it came out.

Articalys

I feel terrible for Game Freak/Nintendo, probably trying herculean efforts to keep stuff from under wraps and it still all got spilled early, though only about a month ahead of the official reveals. Well, except for the starter stuff though. How does that leak so consistently?

Chase17

So I think I'm alright with gen 7 only having around 70 new Pokémon if the rumors are to be believed. It's perfectly fine if the designs are as strong as gen 6 which from what we've seen I would say is the case. As we approach 1000 Pokémon, adding 100+ seems like a lot to me. The more the merrier of course, but I think we can have a great generation with a smaller number of new Pokémon.

Not sure how I feel about the delta pokémon yet, but it certainly is interesting.

Been playing this online Pokemon game and it's bringing something different to my perspective of Pokemon. I've only played single player only since the beginning, but this Showdown game make me look at pokemon differently. It reminds me of Yugioh actually. I played a lot of that over the years and I see some similarities.

I've been using an all Ditto team lately and I came across an annoying team just now.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-409399407

Been playing this online Pokemon game and it's bringing something different to my perspective of Pokemon. I've only played single player only since the beginning, but this Showdown game make me look at pokemon differently. It reminds me of Yugioh actually. I played a lot of that over the years and I see some similarities.

I've been using an all Ditto team lately and I came across an annoying team just now.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-409399407

Yeah Showdown is pretty great at highlighting how insane Pokemon multiplayer can get. Thankfully, Pokemon isn't nearly as broken as Yugioh.

Boss Doggie

I feel terrible for Game Freak/Nintendo, probably trying herculean efforts to keep stuff from under wraps and it still all got spilled early, though only about a month ahead of the official reveals. Well, except for the starter stuff though. How does that leak so consistently?

Well even KoF got leaked by (former) Chinese employees.

So I'm back into Pokemon it seems, thanks to Go.
Picked up Yellow on the 3DS and just finished it up. I hope I can transfer my Mew to Sun & Moon, since I missed the Mew in February

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to look up my old teams in Red & Silver, so I found my old Game Boy and Red + Silver carts at my mom's apartment. To my disappointment, Silver's battery is dead so I'll never know the answer to the question for that game... but Red's battery was still working surprisingly.
Unfortunately, it turns out my 13 year old self was a dirty rotten cheater because I had like 99 Master Balls in my inventory. I am disappoint.

Kinsei

Banned
So regional variants means we could finally get Bug/Dragon Yanma and Yanmega. If there really only are only variants of the Kanto Pokemon then I hope they crush my dreams soon instead of letting me build hope.

Why did it take me this long to realize "Rotom" is "Motor" backwards?

I never realized that. I'm dumb.

Foxxsoxx

So regional variants means we could finally get Bug/Dragon Yanma and Yanmega. If there really only are only variants of the Kanto Pokemon then I hope they crush my dreams soon instead of letting me build hope.

I never realized that. I'm dumb.

I love when they play on words.

Really missed opportunity they never completed the Weezing line with a final evo, Smoking.

Boss Doggie

Since I'm not really into Go and so out of the loop on the news, what's with the issue with Niantic I keep seeing on twitter and news?

Foxxsoxx

Since I'm not really into Go and so out of the loop on the news, what's with the issue with Niantic I keep seeing on twitter and news?

They removed tracking Pokemon from Go, basically making it way less enjoyable since that was sort of the entire appeal.

So I just had an amazing battle on Showdown with tons of predictions and such, too bad this dude had alot of pride and quit at the end since it was a fun match.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-409588871

Mega Sceptile is love.

I need Sun and Moon. I haven't been this excited for Pokemon since the first game came out. Probabaly more so. I like XY but it's just such a lonely experience and I'm so used to Pokemon being social.

My favorite Pokemon revealed today was the mantis. It's so cute!

Jacknapes

Certainly looking forward to Sun and Moon.

To prep myself, decided on replaying Pokemon Soul Silver. Personally, my favourite Pokemon game ever. So much to do, a great region to explore and a tonne of Pokemon. Reached the Elite 4 in the Johto region, so currently levelling up my team ready to face them later this week (or even today)

Can't believe copies of this (and Heart Gold) go for so much. Guess Pokemon Go helped towards the high demand. Even have the Pokewalker working, have a Kadabra on there which i'm levelling up outside of playing the game.

Also, have bought a copy of Pokemon Yellow on the 3DS. Loved that game when i was younger, was my first Pokemon game ever. So it's nice to replay some nostalgia.

Hey guys I'm returning to Pokemon after pretty much 10+ years since the GameBoy era.

I have ORAS, when I beat it I'll get Blue on VC and then I'm planning to get Sun and Moon at the end of the year and delve into a bit of online battling.

Can someone explain to me how the online battling scene works in Pokemon, and how it might work in Moon?

I take it there is no online matchmaking league system like Star Craft and Hearthstone etc?

Also I hear that natures are very important to battling online, but I really want to be able to use the Pokemon I have caught and trained throughout the campaigns, I thought that was the whole essence of Pokemon? If I have to breed a few 100 of each Pokemon just to get an RNG value compatible with battling competitively then I might not even bother.

Busaiku

How so? Megas can't have Z Moves because they're Megas. Pokémon need to be holding the Z Crystal to use the Z Move. Megas need to hold Mega Stones to Mega. Ergo...
This was before I knew that the Pokémon had to have Z-Crystals.
There's still Mega Rayquaza though.

Kinsei

Banned
PokeVets, how do you guys feel about the bandwagon jumpers due to pokemon go?

What do you mean? The more people playing the better. There's a chance I could win an online battle (If I decide to try one out) if there are a bunch of newbies playing so it's great.

Tusk

So have we talked about how Ash Greninja is still a god damn mystery? Z-Moves seem unrelated to this change..?

Don't megas evolve then use their attack?

If Ash Greninja is related to Z-moves then it just changes form into Ash Greninja, use the Z-move and then stay in that form for the rest of the battle. Most realistic way of doing it. He's pretty much a mega under another name.

Don't megas evolve then use their attack?

If Ash Greninja is related to Z-moves then it just changes form into Ash Greninja, use the Z-move and then stay in that form for the rest of the battle. Most realistic way of doing it. He's pretty much a mega under another name.

Hmm yeah, still seems there's more to be revealed as far as that goes then. At first I thought Synchro would be for Pokemon who don't have Megas but maybe it's just for Greninja..

brinstar

Maybe Greninja will get a unique event Z-Crystal that lets it use the giant fuma water shuriken + change its appearance to Ash-Greninja

Top Bottom