• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Two years ago I was able to get to about 600 Pokemon in my Y Dex and with all the Sun/Moon hype I've decided to finish it off and actually do a Living Dex as well.

Anyone know where I could easily get an Articuno and Moltres?
Trade up from Gen 3/4 or try your luck by breeding/evolving/leveling a few Espeon and putting them on the GTS. Got an extra Yveltal and Zygarde doing that, once.

Trade up from Gen 3/4 or try your luck by breeding/evolving/leveling a few Espeon and putting them on the GTS. Got an extra Yveltal and Zygarde doing that, once.

Damn, really? I don't have my generation 3 or 4 games anymore... I have a copy of X that I could play through I guess. I have a feeling I'm not going to get lucky out there.

Damn, really? I don't have my generation 3 or 4 games anymore... I have a copy of X that I could play through I guess. I have a feeling I'm not going to get lucky out there.
You could also wait for R/B VC to get Bank support and just trade them into S/M when they come out. Saves a lot of time for $10, but you won't be able to complete the dex in 6th gen this way.

I guess speedrun X if you want to.

Nightbird

I like that Pokémon Go brings a lot of people to the franchise, but I dislike the number of Genwunners that come with them.

I mean, if you dislike certain Pokémon, that's fine, everyone has their own preference. But if you show me the same 10 Pokémon that everyone does, with the same explanation that everyone uses ("lol, just look at it, this is dumb as hell/lazy/e.t.c.) in order to prove me that all 570 Pokémon after Mew are bad, then you're just completely unreasonable.

I really thought I could get some new people to talk about Pokémon with thanks to Go, but all I get is "everything after Gen 1 is trash anyways", and that's just annoying.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
from my observation you'll only see those people in facebook and twitter, a.k.a. breeding ground of scum

most of the people I've talked about Go wanted to see the later gen mons added

Crocodile

tumblr_inline_obb7wr6w9M1qkia4x_1280.png

Source

Source

Boss Doggie

well this is a dialogue heavy episode, check out the Kalos league thread for my thoughts

but yeah, Sycamore calls Ash Greninja a "kizuna genshou", google calls it "bond phenomenon"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's most likely just mega greninja they are just trying to make a bigger deal out of it :p

mega ray doesnt need a stone as well

Boss Doggie

according to Adamant, Sycamore said

Platane told Satoshi that the Bond Phenomenon occurs very rarely when Trainer and Pokemon trust each other deeply, and that it's most likely related to the Pokemon's latent abilities, so Keromatsu choosing Satoshi may have been because it sensed those latent abilities it had and was drawn to someone that could help it draw them out.

ALSO THAT FUCKING NEW ED LOL

L95

most of the people I've talked about Go wanted to see the later gen mons added

I kinda want to see this happen just for gen 1 peeps to start getting mixed up

I recall a post on gaf somewhere of someone complaining about Dragonite being stupid compared to gen 1, then people coming in and saying dragonite was gen1 in the first place... wish I could find it haha

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Alain's team ended up being pretty disappointing, was hoping we'd see some underused cool Pokemon but instead we got Bisharp and...Unfezant.

Pachimari

If I want to get back into the anime, where should I start off? Just start with Season 1 again? That's the only season I watched when I were a kid. I tried and it was such a bore with Team Rocket turning up in every episode. I just watched an episode from Gen VI as well, with the little Zygarde 0% and that was a damn good episode I think.

Anyway, not only am I playing Pokemon GO every day, I also got back into the Trading Card Game Online and is loving it. Got a 100+ cards already. Just need to learn what is a good deck and to make one myself.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I think that I somehow went back in time as I found these Gen 4 products in GAME.

Also went to CEX and holy fuck are they charging £45 for a used Pokémon X.

What the fuck? o_O;

Alain's team ended up being pretty disappointing, was hoping we'd see some underused cool Pokemon but instead we got Bisharp and...Unfezant.

Alain's team just reminds me of Diantha's team where the other Pokémon don't really matter as the star of the team is the Mega Pokémon.

Boss Doggie

If I want to get back into the anime, where should I start off? Just start with Season 1 again? That's the only season I watched when I were a kid. I tried and it was such a bore with Team Rocket turning up in every episode. I just watched an episode from Gen VI as well, with the little Zygarde 0% and that was a damn good episode I think.

Anyway, not only am I playing Pokemon GO every day, I also got back into the Trading Card Game Online and is loving it. Got a 100+ cards already. Just need to learn what is a good deck and to make one myself.

Just skip to XY, hopefully subbed

I tried so many times to get myself to like Mystery Dungeon Blue, but it just wasn't happening. I just didn't find the core gameplay to be that good. I think the only other game I've tried this with is Fallout 3, which didn't work either.

Wiseblade

Watch every episode... how much free time do you have?!

Even if you followed a viewing guide and only watched the highlights of each generation, it'd take forever. Even just watching the league episodes of each generation would be a significant investment.

If you want to catch up, just watch XY. If you really have all the time in the world, you could watch each Tournament arc, but it's completely unnecessary.

Boss Doggie

I'm still cringing and laughing at the fact that people use "furbait" unironically when describing pokemon designs

Speaking of that thread, I should probably be banned from posting when I'm on a fuckton of Mtn Dew because that was not my best moment. lmao

Watch Da Birdie

Two quick questions, how cheap would these two mechanic Gen VII concepts be?

First people are speculating Oricorio's Types correspond to the Tapu, as they match the colors of the islands---so we've got a Ghost, Electric, and Fire Tapu left in addition to the Electric Tapu Koko.

Koko can summon Electric Terrain, so I was wondering if Ghost Koko can summon a Ghost Terrain, would an effect that makes it so all grounded Pokemon cannot be hit by Normal-type moves be too broken for a terrain move?

Also say Sun and Moon has a new Hold Item that, when held, causes a Pokemon to switch their Attack and Special Attack. Would that be too much of a shake-up, or alternatively pointless?

Two quick questions, how cheap would these two mechanic Gen VII concepts be?

First people are speculating Oricorio's Types correspond to the Tapu, as they match the colors of the islands---so we've got a Ghost, Electric, and Fire Tapu left in addition to the Electric Tapu Koko.

Koko can summon Electric Terrain, so I was wondering if Ghost Koko can summon a Ghost Terrain, would an effect that makes it so all grounded Pokemon cannot be hit by Normal-type moves be too broken for a terrain move?

Also say Sun and Moon has a new Hold Item that, when held, causes a Pokemon to switch their Attack and Special Attack. Would that be too much of a shake-up, or alternatively pointless?

I don't put much stock in the Oricorio theory, it seems that idea is likely derived from Finches than any sort of mythological connection.

But the ground normal thing would be pretty broken in single player and utterly crippling to Fighting pokemon in multiplayer. Probably too broken.

The Item is pretty interesting for Trick sets to play with because you can completely cripple non mixed sweepers and revenge killers depending on the trick users defenses. So pokemon like Scizor would not be nearly as threatening as trick sets aren't too common. But it could cause a meta reaction to get people to play differently.

Watch Da Birdie

The idea is derived from Finches, but I don't see how their Types are influenced by anything natural since we have Ghost and Psychic---I think matching the Types of the Tapu makes sense.

Some people have been saying that the other three islands would be called Akala (Pink), Ulaula (Red), and Poni (Purple) for a while now, based on the official colours of the Hawaiian islands represented in the game. The fact that each form of Oricorio happens to be on a specific island and matches up with those colours is not a coincidence. The other 3 Tapus will likely be part Fire, Ghost, and Psychic. Whether they'll keep the Fairy typing or have something else is anybody's guess, but I would guess that they do.

I thought Tracey was pretty unremarkable at first, but I like him much more now because of that Syther episode. At first I was a little salty that Tracey upstaged Ash on the capture, but he definitely deserves it. He was quicker to understand the Scyther and his problems. His Pokemon watching gimmick actually came in handy during the battle too. Let's see if this likeability actually keeps up tho. Definitely one of the more stand out episodes so far.

220px-Tracey_and_Scyther.png
250px-EP097.png

Watch Da Birdie

It's been like 15 years since we saw his Scyther so it probably died.

That's pretty Tracey's only episode of importance too, excluding some focus in some of the Pokemon Chronicle episodes when he begins banging Misty's sister.

You know I have that thread reviewing the Japanese openings and up next is the Japanese Orange Islands OP, it's funny how Tracey's Pokemon get an entire shot to themselves (before Tracey is even seen) whereas Tracey only gets like two shots sitting on Lapras without any attention drawn to him, pun not intended.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I thought Tracey was pretty unremarkable at first, but I like him much more now because of that Syther episode. At first I was a little salty that Tracey upstaged Ash on the capture, but he definitely deserves it. He was quicker to understand the Scyther and his problems. His Pokemon watching gimmick actually came in handy during the battle too. Let's see if this likeability actually keeps up tho. Definitely one of the more stand out episodes so far.

250px-EP097.png

That capture is interesting as you can clearly tell that the writers may have planned to have the Scyther evolve into Scizor had Tracey went to Johto with Ash, but scrapped that when Tracey ended up being unpopular and Brock back.

Personally I felt that Tracey didn't deserve catching a cool Pokémon as only cool trainers uses Scyther.

Source; I used a Scyther and I am pretty cool.

iirate

250px-EP097.png

That capture is interesting as you can clearly tell that the writers may have planned to have the Scyther evolve into Scizor had Tracey went to Johto with Ash, but scrapped that when Tracey ended up being unpopular and Brock back.

Personally I felt that Tracey didn't deserve catching a cool Pokémon as only cool trainers uses Scyther.

Source; I used a Scyther and I am pretty cool.

I rewatched Orange Isles earlier this year, and Tracy is easily among the lamest traveling companions, but all of his pokemon were legitimately great.

Hello

Kind of a dumb Question for anyone:

Playing Pokemon Soul Silver and trying to evolve an eevee into espeon and as I was trying to level up its happiness.. I forgot to leave my everstone on it and it almost evolved into umbreon until I stopped it. I think I have its happiness after talking to it and the lady in Goldenrod maxed now and it's still not evolving into espeon.

Will it still evolve into espeon?

I don't put much stock in the Oricorio theory, it seems that idea is likely derived from Finches than any sort of mythological connection.

We know that each of Oricorio's colours correspond to a different island- the shrines we can see at the trials and the trainer's badge case each have yellow, purple, red and pink coloration to them, representing each island. I'd be very surprised if the types of the guardians didn't correspond to that.

Welp. Seems like he's gonna fade back into unremarkability then.

Dang, Ash can be just as obnoxiously arrogant as Gary. Just watched that episode with Prima. It may be the first time I'm glad Charizard disobeyed him and went haywire because goddang he needed some humbling.

kyo2004

Hello

Kind of a dumb Question for anyone:

Playing Pokemon Soul Silver and trying to evolve an eevee into espeon and as I was trying to level up its happiness.. I forgot to leave my everstone on it and it almost evolved into umbreon until I stopped it. I think I have its happiness after talking to it and the lady in Goldenrod maxed now and it's still not evolving into espeon.

Will it still evolve into espeon?

Eevee evolves into Espeon only in daytime, Umbreom in night time...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yay, got my Arceus. First Mythical ever! Now I just gotta wait forever for them to give out Mew again since that one was always my favorite.

Top Bottom