• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
how hard is it for people to make 31 iv dittos? I want to get back into battling seriously as well as get mons ready for gen 7, and that's my first big hurdle

Menitta

Starts to get better after the SS Anne episode, that was the first wave of episodes and most of them either dropped their character or got more comfortable in the role.

They definitely got better. They had the same VAs for Johto and Hoenn and they sounded MUCH better than what I'm hearing now. Gotta get Brock to not sound like Seto Kaiba.

You gotta either hack perfect Dittos or RNG abuse them in earlier gens. I go with the latter because I refuse to hack Pokémon for any reason.

I was thinking, in between OS and XY, was there ever a mention of Pikachu's love for ketchup?
Showdown in Dark City - Ep. 42

Video (in Spanish) here

Pikachu finds a ketchup bottle at a local restaurant, and finds that he *really* likes ketchup.

mm6WFje.gif

Unfortunately, it took an attack from a Scyther later in the episode and was split open.

dpE2aVg.png

According to wiki, the next time Pikachu's ketchup affair is referred to is in episode 276 (AG 2), then again in episode 829 (XY 30). There's even a ship name for it (Ketchupshipping, natch). This new ED only confirms the relationship :)

Menitta

There are multiple episodes where you see Pikachu holding a ketchup bottle. It was in a couple Hoenn ones for sure.

Also, why the hell doesn't Misty fight Team Rocket with Ash? SHE'S A FUCKING GYM LEADER

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Showdown in Dark City - Ep. 42

Video (in Spanish) here

Pikachu finds a ketchup bottle at a local restaurant, and finds that he *really* likes ketchup.

mm6WFje.gif

Unfortunately, it took an attack from a Scyther later in the episode and was split open.

dpE2aVg.png

According to wiki, the next time Pikachu's ketchup affair is referred to is in episode 276 (AG 2), then again in episode 829 (XY 30). There's even a ship name for it (Ketchupshipping, natch). This new ED only confirms the relationship :)

Man that's a huge gap.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know I've been wondering

do we have an actual recent image of Satoshi Tajiri? because from what I heard the ones people use online isn't even him

ash_ag

You know I've been wondering

do we have an actual recent image of Satoshi Tajiri? because from what I heard the ones people use online isn't even him

He was in an interview with Ken Sugimori and Masanobu Endo a few months ago:
New interview featuring Masanobu Endo (creator of Xevious), Satoshi Tajiri and Ken Sugimori. Unsurprisingly, they are discussing Xevious and how it affected Game Freak. From what I can gather, Xevious is one of the games that left the biggest impact on Tajiri, and had it not been for it, Quinty (and thereby Pokémon) wouldn't exist. From machine translations, there doesn't seem to be many Pokémon-related stuff, but Tajiri interviews are incredibly rare to begin with, so there may be some interesting insight in here.

There is also a picture of him in the official Facebook page of Game Freak.

Ironically, there are over three different people that come up when you type Satoshi Tajiri on Google. The most infamous one is of Tsukenazu Ishihara, and then there are a couple random ones. But the one that caught my eye is actually... Dai Satō, a famous screenwriter who writes scripts for anime, movies and video games. He's done plenty episodes of Cowboy Bebop, GitS: SAC, Samurai Champloo, and others, and is the main writer of one of my favourite TV anime of all time, Eureka Seven.

I was wondering why he comes up and looked it up, and what do you know, he's actually friends with Tajiri, and briefly even had a band with him and Masuda named STEREOTYPE. They made a remix album of Pulseman music. I honestly found that mind-blowing. I hope Dai Satō gets to write the script of a Pokémon game sometime in the future. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Everyone always uses a picture of Ishihara now, it seems to be partially a meme but a lot of people legitimately think it's him...even googling Satoshi Tajiri has a picture of Ishihara appear on the side.

I'm really glad I'm back into Pokemon.

I've had previous attempts (bought Black 2) and it just didn't work for me, but between Sun and Moon hype, Go, and my current run of X, it feels good to be back into Pokemon. I also love the number of Pokemon Youtube channels and media. Feels like a nice, tight knit community which reminds me of why I got into the games to begin with.

What's the best Pokemon Adventures arcs?

I didn't get a reply in the ORAS thread so I will try here. I hope this is the place to put trade requests. I'm looking for a few things.

I would gratefully appreciate if someone with access to the following Pokemon with their hidden abilities could hook me up.
1. Ivysaur (Preferably female in a Nest Ball)
2. Tyrunt
3. Sableye
4. Sentret (Preferably female in a Premier Ball)

Also if someone could send a 6 IV non-NA region ditto my way that would be amazing. If that's not possible, I'm looking for 5/6 IV male non-NA region Pokemon in the field, grass and human-like breeding groups.

I have essentially a full-living dex so I can breed you basically anything in return.
Thanks so much.

Tajiri is also on a 2004ish episode of Game Center CX where he reveals some early names for certain Pokemon (Nidoking = Maiko) and also faces Arino in FRLG. During this battle you learn that he is the one responsible for adding confusion because he keeps using Confuse Ray on poor Arino and this is his reaction:
2rlqSxP.png

Playing heartgold and need recommendations for hold items for my team
Currently,
Togetic lv 29
Quilava lv 30
Sandslash lv 29
Eevee lv 18(just got him)
Ampharos lv 30

Menitta

Going through the original series was a mistake. Too deep to stop now! Good thing I can just let it play on Netflix.

Also, I've had it with the Poke Rap!

Real Hero

Started playing platinum for the first time as I only ever had diamond. First time I am not using my starter and decided to use a lvl 1 dratini from my old game instead. I over leveled it though and it won't obey me..making the first gym quite hard

Why do people always choose the fire starter? Fire starters are lame. It seems from game to game they're the most popular, though.

Also apparently there's a lot of hate against Popplio??

I think this is the best looking set of starters since Gen 1.

Puruzi

Banned
As a set the gen 4 starters might he my favorite.

Popplio's final evo is my favorite throughout all the gens though

platocplx

Why do people always choose the fire starter? Fire starters are lame. It seems from game to game they're the most popular, though.

Also apparently there's a lot of hate against Popplio??

I think this is the best looking set of starters since Gen 1.

Cuz Fire is pretty Awesome, especially when your a kid lol.

However later Gens Iv passed on Fire.

My Starters have been:

Gen I
Charmander

Gen II
Typhlosion

Gen III
Torchic

Gen IV
Chimchar

Gen V
Oshawott

Gen VI
Froakie

Gen VII
I'm super undecided def depends on what their final forms are. This may be the first time I go grass.

platocplx

Id love to see this thread get finished. love the idea

Creating ultimate teams by type based on poster opinons:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251261

right now were on poison.

pretty interesting results for:

Blasian Persuasion said:
Normal
snorlax.gif
115-mega.gif
smeargle.gif
chansey.gif
miltank.gif
pidgeot.gif

Snorlax, Kangaskhan, Smeargle, Chansey, Miltank, and Pidgeot

Looks like Gaf prefers pure Normal types with a lot of bulk.

Electric
luxray-f.gif
raichu.gif
642.gif
ampharos-mega.gif
lanturn.gif
electivire.gif

Half are pure Electric types, but given that Electric has hardly any dual types with most of them coming from Rotom forms, it's understandable. The Mega Pokemon of choice was Mega Ampharos with its unique Electric/Dragon Typing. The odd choice here is Lanturn. It has a unique type, but I found its movepool lacking and the moveset is quite an odd one with no STAB moves at all for the little fish. Gaf's Electric team is highly offense based with powerful special attacks. Thundurus and Mega Ampharos are the two on this team to look out for.

Steel
scizor-mega.gif
aegislash-blade.gif
wormadam-trash.gif
forretress.gif
ferrothorn.gif
aggron.gif

Interesting choices this time. No pure Types at all this time around making for a versatile team. In Blaze Black 2 I fought a trainer with a Ferrothorn with Iron Barbs and a Rocky Helmet... Fuck that Pokemon!

Water
lanturn.gif
jellicent.gif
seaking-f.gif
azumarill.gif
kyogre-primal.gif
latest

Lanturn, Jellicent, Seaking, Azumarill, Primal Kyogre, and Clawitzer

Fire
arcanine.gif
torkoal.gif
mYLdjaK.gif
darmanitan-standard-mode.gif
ninetales.gif
infernape.gif

Arcanine, Torkoal, Talonflame, Darmanitan, Ninetails, Infernape

Disappointed no one picked Volcarona, but there's hope for it when we get to Bug. I do like Torkoal, Talonflame, and Ninetails a lot, so there's that.

Dark

weavile-f.gif
krookodile.gif
liepard.gif
mega_sableye_animated_by_diegotoon20-d8yulkt.gif
murkrow.gif
scrafty.gif

Weavile, Krookodile, Liepard, Mega Sableye, Murkrow, and Scrafty

Bug
shedinja.gif
scolipede.gif
ledian-f.gif
leavanny.gif
galvantula.gif
volcarona.gif

Shedinja, Scolipede, Ledian, Leavanny, Galvantula, and Volcarona

Flying

357.png
jumpluff.gif
emolga.gif
drifblim.gif
archeops.gif
staraptor.gif

Tropius, Jumpluff, Emolga, Drifblim, Archeops, and Staraptor

Cuz Fire is pretty Awesome, especially when your a kid lol.

However later Gens Iv passed on Fire.

My Starters have been:

Gen I
Charmander

Gen II
Typhlosion

Gen III
Torchic

Gen IV
Chimchar

Gen V
Oshawott

Gen VI
Froakie

Gen VII
I'm super undecided def depends on what their final forms are. This may be the first time I go grass.

Gen I
Bulbasaur

Gen V
Snivy

Gen VI
Froakie

Gen VII
Popplio

It's usually because Fire is a rare type due to the limited number of them and they're rarely at the beginning of the game. For example:
Gen 1: Oddish/Bellsprout around Cerulean, Growlithe/Vulpix around Celadon, Magikarp around Cerulean (Poliwag around Cerulean in Japanese Blue)
Gen 2: Bellsprout around Violet, Growlithe/Vulpix around Ecruteak, Tentacool/Magikarp/Qwilfish around Azalea
Gen 3: Shroomish around Rustboro, Numel/Slugma/Torkoal around Lavaridge, Wingull around Rustboro

That, and Charizard was deemed the coolest starter by a lot of kids back in the 90s so people still have type loyalty to it.

iirate

I went with Squirtle back in gen I, and picking the water starter first each gen has been tradition for me since, although Litten was making me reconsider until the final evos leaked. Litten's final is growing on me
(I'm just mad it's bipedal and going from the emo motif to being a heel wrestler)
, but Popplio's redeems its line.

I'm really hoping for it to be water/fairy. All 3 final evos are pretty exceptional, IMO, so I'll get around to using the other two sooner rather than later.

I mainly chose fire types for the longest time because people would always mention (when I was younger and the games first came out) that fire types were "hard mode" and therefore dangerous. And my reaction would always be

1082797.gif

platocplx

I mainly chose fire types for the longest time because people would always mention (when I was younger and the games first came out) that fire types were "hard mode" and therefore dangerous.

I remember that too, GEN I brocks gym was hell you had to pretty much over level to beat him lmao.

It's usually because Fire is a rare type due to the limited number of them and they're rarely at the beginning of the game. For example:
Gen 1: Oddish/Bellsprout around Cerulean, Growlithe/Vulpix around Celadon, Magikarp around Cerulean (Poliwag around Cerulean in Japanese Blue)
Gen 2: Bellsprout around Violet, Growlithe/Vulpix around Ecruteak, Tentacool/Magikarp/Qwilfish around Azalea
Gen 3: Shroomish around Rustboro, Numel/Slugma/Torkoal around Lavaridge, Wingull around Rustboro

That, and Charizard was deemed the coolest starter by a lot of kids back in the 90s so people still have type loyalty to it.

I guess I have no attachment to Charizard.

I bought Blue for one thing, so I was greeted by a Blastoise on my game box and game itself.

I chose Bulbasaur. I mean, I eventually got all three and filled my Pokedex, but I never thought much of Charizard and thought Blastoise was way cooler. And Mew, Volteon, Zapados, Mew Two even cooler than that. I've never had an affinity for fire type Pokemon in general besides Ninetails.

I chose Bulbasaur because having watched the anime, I knew rock gym was first and water was second. Bulbasaur being grass would help me out and I plotted out my Poke journey via prior information gained from the TV show and trying to get the most balanced team possible.

When I get nostalgic over any Pokemon it's probably Bulbasaur - the first Pokemon I picked.

fire Pokemon mostly look lame

Bubble

Neo Member
I've choosen Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Chimchar, Oshawott and Froakie, so I'm leaning Water with my starter picks. Unless Litten's evolution grows on me, I'm probably picking my first Grass starter in Rowlet. Unlike a lot of people here, I am not feeling the hype in regards to the starters. Litten looked pretty cool, but I really don't like it's final evolution. I kind of want to not use a starter in my first playthrough, which is something I never do. However, I did use the Gen V starters in Black & White / 2, and those were atrocious, so I'll live.

Always felt that the starters in many ways represents my feelings for the generation as a whole. I adore the Gen III starters, so I'm very fond of Gen III as a whole. On the other hand, I got zero love for the Gen V starters, so Gen V does nothing to me. So I hope my feelings for the Gen VII starters don't match my feelings for this generation.

Macka

I don't really have a preference for starter types. My picks on the first playthrough:

Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Chimchar
Unova: Snivy
Kalos: Froakie
Alola: Rowlet

I mostly agree with the original choices I made - Charizard, Feraligatr, Infernape & Greninja are still my favourites from their respective gens, so the only real exception is that I much prefer Sceptile to Blaziken now. In Gen 5 I didn't really like any of the fully evolved starters, but I figured I may as well stick with Smugleaf. Still don't like any of the Unova ones, there's no good choice there.

I've since used all of the starters other than Samurott, Chesnaught and Delphox. I think the Water starters are the most consistent. Aside from Samurott (and now Poppmaid), the others are all really good. Fire starters have been ugly (imo) since D/P. Grass are generally not to my tastes - Sceptile's the only one I really like.

Holy crap. Just fought a Battle Girl with a Mienshao and something else and she wiped me out one time and almost wiped me out a second. Mienshao is a BEAST.

Puruzi

Banned
Mienshao is 100% the best fighting Pokemon. I'm mad as hell it's not in Pokken.

Mienshao is always on my team when I battle randos online

Vena

The real hard question is...

Should I have my Milotic in a swag ball, a premier ball, or a color-coded dive ball?

Top Bottom