• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Martin - Energetic, but can be feisty and kind of mean and selfish. Arrogant too. But deep down he's a good guy. Hates Pam. I think Raichu is a good pick.

Gina - hard working, reaaonable, peace loving, puts dinner on the table, respectable, has to deal with being with Martin. She's a good shoe in for a Togekiss or Molatic.

Cole is Psyduck.

I guess I'll go with Raichu. I think I'll use a Psyduck for Shanice though or maybe a Dunsparce is more suitable. We were on the same page with Gina.

Martin and Pam are opposites. I suggested Raichu because it has attitude (look at the eyebrows) and it's the opposite type of Gyrados. Without that, I'm not sure I can suggest Martin as Raichu. It needs to be opposite of Pam.

Not sure if this is the right place for this... but figured I'd share some quick first timer Nuzlocke impressions.

For the record I am blind Nuzlocking (?) X right now after being inspired by the new Griffin feature at Polygon. (Note - I also went deep down the Pro-Jared rabbit hole with his Red run)

Holy crap! This really is the Dark Souls of Pokemon! (Forgive the cliche, but my anecdote below certainly feels very familiar to experienced I've had in the Souls series)

My first taste of glory (and ultimately painful sadness) came with the appearance and capture of a Pikachu in Santalune Forest.

After naming him Sparkrat and falling for his electric awesomeness get to grinding! I figured I needed to protect my lucky find by buffing him up to a safe level. I win some trainer battles and grind for an hour or two and then...

Then... I run into a wild Dunsparce on Route 3. I wasn't really paying too much attention (grinding on Bunnelbies doesn't require all that much active thinking) and all of a sudden my full health Pikachu is critted by Rollout.

Sparkrat died. I knew right there that the wave of surprise, frustration and anger would shape my future game play. Never again would I take a wild unknown Pokemon for granted.

I am 100% hooked. I can't wait to get back in and continue the Nuzlocke run. I haven't had so much fun with Pokemon since Blue back in '98

TLDR:
CJwXxZxUsAAXM9J.png

GoldStarz

Damn you are insanely young lol

I'm older than this franchise. Like obviously I'm not old but like insanely young is kinda exaggerating it lol

you're probably just old :)

Crazy. Reruns have been going on since the show ended. I swear it's on like everyday on MTV2 and the other half of the time on BET.
I mean I rarely watch TV in general let alone reruns. TBH I don't think I've even glanced over those channels.

Menitta

97 baby! Only a matter of time before people born in 2005 get Neogaf accounts and make me feel old.

I vaguely remember watching the Orange Islands on TV as a kid. It was after Melee came out and I saw Maril and got hype.

Edit: Poor Psyduck...existence is pain.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Macarons are too sweet for me but maybe it's just the baker's version.

Also Rockruff is getting a bit more attention than usual.

CrazyDude

I was born in 1993, made it just in time to remember Pokemon being huge at school. I remember everything Pokemon related being banned in school, like even folders and backpacks with Pokemon stuff on them. They were banned because the school found Pokemon stuff being too distracting.

I was born in 1993, made it just in time to remember Pokemon being huge at school. I remember everything Pokemon related being banned in school, like even folders and backpacks with Pokemon stuff on them. They were banned because the school found Pokemon stuff being too distracting.
Born in 94, remember the same thing. Kindergarten was when every boy at school was obsessed with Pokemon, after that it started to die down a bit but I do remember how huge it was with everyone I knew at school.

CrazyDude

Born in 94, remember the same thing. Kindergarten was when every boy at school was obsessed with Pokemon, after that it started to die down a bit but I do remember how huge it was with everyone I knew at school.

I remember it being really big up until 2001 and then the series's crazy hype surrounding it died off to more normal levels. It was around that time that I remember Yu-Gi-Oh became popular at school.

Still have this:

250px-The_Official_Pok%C3%A9mon_Handbook_second_edition_cover.png

GoldStarz

I remember it being really big up until 2001 and then the series's crazy hype surrounding it died off to more normal levels. It was around that time that I remember Yu-Gi-Oh became popular at school.

Still have this:

I remember my friend had that version and my mind was blown that Ekans = Backwards snake. I had the Johto one though. I think I still have it.

Ah, we're discussing age?

Time to make you all feel old

(1999)
lol you're as old as my baby brother so I don't feel too old

Still have this:

I remember having the quiz book and a couple of novelizations of the anime, I think I got rid of them when I went through my "Pokemon is dumb and I'm too cool for it" phase tho :<

More than anything though I'm disappointed that I don't have the Squirtle pillow I used to have as a kid

I got into Pokemon literally on the third episode. Like, the first time it ever aired. God I'm old. I was 12 and in 7th grade. It came on just a few weeks after school started and it was all we talked about in Science class.

Pokemon has been around over half my life and I remember when it was being called a fad and when it was banned from school.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
yeah I was the same age. it aired at 6am in the morning gave me a reason to get up.

I remember a girl that had a crush on me learning their names and used it for an icebreaker. fun times :)

my older brother woke me up to watch the first episode since he knew I liked pet/monster stuff, was big on tomogachi/digimon

Haha! Definitely used it for that purpose.

I don't remember when it aired. I think it was afternoons. Then Kids WB moved it to weekends I think?

It took me a few months before I got the game and when I did everyone was playing it. The anime was what got us all hooked. The game just worked further. Their capitalist plan worked and it had us all by the jaws. It was the first time I had used my Game Boy in at least a year and a half when I got it. Game Boy was dead as fuck when Pokemon came out.

can be used as Weapons

The other kids weren't even using them as...well maybe some of them were, but that's besides the point. There was just a huge yo-yo craze, and the school cracked down on them. Then they realized "hey maybe we can make money off of this" and they sold their own yo-yos.

It was a very weird time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The other kids weren't even using them as...well maybe some of them were, but that's besides the point. There was just a huge yo-yo craze, and the school cracked down on them. Then they realized "hey maybe we can make money off of this" and they sold their own yo-yos.

It was a very weird time.

hmm that was around 4th or 5th grade for me

FSLink

Banned
I got into Pokemon literally on the third episode. Like, the first time it ever aired. God I'm old. I was 12 and in 7th grade. It came on just a few weeks after school started and it was all we talked about in Science class.

Pokemon has been around over half my life and I remember when it was being called a fad and when it was banned from school.

Third episode here too. Though my older cousin was 12 years old at the time, I was 8 years old. I remember him being hyped as hell for the show and games to come out, and I got onboard too. Ended up getting a Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red when they were released.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say what you will about Electric Tale of Pikachu's artstyle, but man did it do the OS saga much better.

And I was 10 when Pokemania came out so you can see why I'm very cynical about it :p

I was born in 88 so I feel like Pokemon was targeted at my at-the-time age group when it originally hit. It's weird to see that there's people who were teenagers or older when the first games came out that got into the franchise at that point. But it's not like I've stopped being into it even though I'm almost 30 now so I guess it's just got that universal appeal.

Vena

I try not to think about the fact that there are people old enough to vote who have never known a world without Pokémon.

There are people old enough to be born that haven't been exposed to Chernobyl radiation (but a low enough dosage such that it didn't negatively impact gestation)!

Take that young generation! All of the mutant super powers are mine!

There are people old enough to be born that haven't been exposed to Chernobyl radiation (but a low enough dosage such that it didn't negatively impact gestation)!

Take that young generation! All of the mutant super powers are mine!

What is your super power?

I was a freshman in college when Pokemon debuted in America lol

What was it like getting into Pokemon at that age? I'd imagine it was hardly as social as a lot of our experiences. Did you feel isolated from the Pokemon community?

What is your super power?

What was it like getting into Pokemon at that age? I'd imagine it was hardly as social as a lot of our experiences. Did you feel isolated from the Pokemon community?
It wasn't bad me and my friends had gameboy colors but we also were into sports. We had a good balance of gaming and sports. We mostly just played in our group and didn't venture out to the community.

Top Bottom