• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Wiseblade

Oh wow, is Ash going to win the Kalos League and go take on the Elite Four? That's awesome.
Nobody knows for sure yet, but this is the closest he's come by far.

Really, there's 3 ways this plays out:

1) Ash loses to Alain, but beats him in a salty rematch during the Team Flare hijack - This is the worst scenario since it would guaranteethat Ash would continue on to Alola.

2) The Match Ends in a draw/is interrupted by Team Flare's hijack - This had about a 50/50 chance of being a flimsy cop-out to get Ash to Alola.

3) Ash wins - in which case, the curse is broken.

Regardless, Ash is walking away from this as the official Kalos tournament winner as Alain will get disqualified unless the has a big face turn at the last minute. My bet is on scenario 2.

RomanceDawn

Does anyone have the generation 4 or 5 starters with the hidden abilities? Particularly Turtwig, Chimchar or Piplup?

I've got a ton of PERFECT, Hidden Ability, Adamant Dratini and Tyrunt, with Extreme Speed and Dragon Dance respectively! Come on! Help me out and I'll help you!

ANIME
Where can I watch these episodes of the latest Pokemon league?

shield

I'm not a super hardcore Pokemon player, and I've never posted in this thread before... but while trying to make progress in my Pokedex in Y and Alpha Sapphire today, I caught 3 shiny Pokemon! I've never even seen a shiny before, and I wasn't actively shiny hunting or anything

What were the odds of this happening?!

I'm not a super hardcore Pokemon player, and I've never posted in this thread before... but while trying to make progress in my Pokedex in Y and Alpha Sapphire today, I caught 3 shiny Pokemon! I've never even seen a shiny before, and I wasn't actively shiny hunting or anything

Low, really fucking low. Like Win the big lottery tier low.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pokemon Uranium got me really into Pokemon Fake-making, so today I brainstormed a new Type...

Beast-type. Given to Pokemon who are very feral and violent with moves like Rage and Thrash, re-Typed to Beast. Old Pokemon include Primeape, Feraligatr, and Darmanitan. The new Beast Pokemon would tend to stray Physical with very high Attack, but limited versatility.

Offensive Match-Ups
Beast-type is SE against...
* Dragon.
* Fairy
* Beast

Beast-type is NVE against...
* Steel.
* Bug
* Rock
* Ice

Beast-type takes 2X damage from...
* Dragon.
* Ice
* Fire
* Electric
* Rock
* Poison
* Beast

Beast-type takes 1/2 damage from...
* Psychic
* Dark
* Ghost

Beast-type is immune to...
* Fairy

Also Beast-type Pokemon cannot be infatuated or flinched.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Among other things, everybody and their mom was invited for VGC because the CP bar turned out to be too low.

They book venues for these things waaaay in advance so they likely expected to have way fewer invitees than they ended up with.

oh so it's a go thing

RomanceDawn

Today God is smiling down on you. Before the day ends you better do something with that insane luck. Go buy a few lottery tickets and ask for a raise.

Chase17

That's great luck!

One day I'll find my first shiny.

Iceman829

Here I was all excited to jump back into Pokemon after not playing it for a long time and then Amazon screwed up my ordered twice. First, it missed it shipping date (free month of prime for me) and now it arrives and the game was already opened and the cartridge was missing. Nothing is in stock now, so it's digital or nothing now. I think I'm going to lounge at the pool and have a drink. Then play some more X later while watching the Olympics.

Also, exp share is amazing :)

Chase17

What's the rule with nuzlockes and when you need HM's? I just lost the only pokemon I have that can surf in HG but I need to cross the sea to Cianwood.
If no one can learn surf then I think it's ok to bring the lost mon out of the box, as long as you don't use it in battle. That way the penalty is losing a slot in your party while still being able to continue the game. And once you don't need surf anymore send it back to the box.

That's just the way I do it though, not sure if there is an official way.

Wiseblade

If no one can learn surf then I think it's ok to bring the lost mon out of the box, as long as you don't use it in battle. That way the penalty is losing a slot in your party while still being able to continue the game. And once you don't need surf anymore send it back to the box.

Yeah, it's either that or people treat it as a game over.

injurai

Banned
Do people actually recommend watching the Pokemon animes these days?

I downloaded the Diancie movie after not seeing a Pokemon movie since Destiny Deoxys. Well I just skipped through to see the scenes because it was absolute garbage. Like utter shit.

Anyways I stumble upon this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1rVFoYU detailing the stark improvement when watching subs over dubs.

Made me wonder if the show is worth it at all. Of course if it's just the prototypical Pokemon formula I probably won't stick with it long. But I'm curious about giving a season or two a chance.

gardfish

Do people actually recommend watching the Pokemon animes these days?

I downloaded the Diancie movie after not seeing a Pokemon movie since Destiny Deoxys. Well I just skipped through to see the scenes because it was absolute garbage. Like utter shit.

Anyways I stumble upon this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1rVFoYU detailing the stark improvement when watching subs over dubs.

Made me wonder if the show is worth it at all. Of course if it's just the prototypical Pokemon formula I probably won't stick with it long. But I'm curious about giving a season or two a chance.

Movies are trash and have been for a while, but the current season of the anime is quite good. Like, it's not amazing TV, but it has some fun character arcs, very good animation, and well-choreographed battle scenes.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If Alola Raichu can't learn surf, that design is worthless.

I've been wondering about that, with HMs seemingly gone what will happen to those moves?

Surf will probably end up becoming a TM since it's such an important move, but what about shit like Cut? No Pokemon learns that naturally, but it's a pretty worthless move to make a TM so will it just disappear?

Oh good. I was able to capture a Poliwag which helped, but I lost my espeon >.<

Iceman829

If you decide to watch it skip to the more recent X/Y seasons

Team Rocket, now Team Flare, still chases a 10 year old boy around trying to capture his pokemon.

Pikachu still does his best John Cena impersonation

Apparently Ash is in the league finals now though and might win unless they pull shenanigans.

Menitta

I've been wondering about that, with HMs seemingly gone what will happen to those moves?

Surf will probably end up becoming a TM since it's such an important move, but what about shit like Cut? No Pokemon learns that naturally, but it's a pretty worthless move to make a TM so will it just disappear?
Are HMs seriously gone? I didn't catch that.

If so, I bet they won't make any Pokemon able to learn moves like cut or strength, but it'll be there and any transferred Pokemon can still have it.

Or they'll make it like "This Pokemon knows Cut, can't be transferred."

brinstar

I hope they'll retool some of the shittier HM moves.

Cut, which is named after Iaido in the Japanese version should be way more powerful lol.

Edit: off topic but looking at what Night Slash is based on in the JP version makes me wonder if that's why they chose not to give it to Ash's Greninja hahaha.

Last night I went to the Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions concert in my country!!

Pretty great concert, lots of nostalgia, lots of people just enjoying the beauty of Pokemon!

Managed to record only one piece before running out of memory (forgot to check that before ) https://youtu.be/0HuqAEOuPq4

I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoy Pokemon and/or its music!

Are HMs seriously gone? I didn't catch that.

If so, I bet they won't make any Pokemon able to learn moves like cut or strength, but it'll be there and any transferred Pokemon can still have it.

Or they'll make it like "This Pokemon knows Cut, can't be transferred."

Well it's not confirmed but PokeRide pretty much removes the need for them. The more useful ones in battle will probably be changed to TMs. Maybe all of them, since they did the same for Flash and Rock Smash.

Tauros - Rock Smash (Land)
Stoutland - Itemfinder (Land)
Mudsdale - Rock Climb
Sharpedo - Surf + Rock Smash (Water)
Lapras - Surf (I'm guessing you can fish on Lapras as opposed to Sharpedo in exchange for slower speed, just like in ORAS)
Charizard - Fly

Crocodile

Here's some Lurantis fanart that is cool and not creepy in anyway
tumblr_ob8r5mUU2c1qdjcg5o2_1280.png

Source

Source

NOBODY is going to miss Cut (or most HMs) if its gone :p

Important moves like Surf will probably become TMs, as you said, or Move Tutor moves.

Vena

Are Friend Safaris biased towards certain typings? Or are all my friends cold-hearted ghosts!?

Everything is Ice and Ghost!

Just beat Blue in Storm Silver and headed into the Viridian Forest. Damn, the trainers in here are harder than him. Wish I had some lucky eggs to make leveling quicker. Every trainer has higher level pokemon.

Dereck

Blasian Persuasion, how many Pokemon fan games have you completed, you seem like a Pokemon fan game connoisseur. Which ones are worth playing?

Blasian Persuasion, how many Pokemon fan games have you completed, you seem like a Pokemon fan game connoisseur. Which ones are worth playing?

I haven't played a ton, mostly just romhacks and out of those I played Blaze Black, Blaze Black 2, and now Storm Silver. Blaze Black 2 and Storm Silver are the best two of those three. Black 1 is okay, but I like the flow of 2 better and it has much better post game despite it feeling aimless.

I guess Pokemon Showdown counts as a fangame. It basically lets you try competitive pokemon if you don't have a DS with internet capabilities.

I haven't played Zeta or Omicron, but I heard they're good.

Kyzer

Banned
has nobody tried neo x and neo y? looks but but im weary of hacks where they change typings and movesets a lot, dont wanna get used to something like that

props to the pokecommunity for not making a new thread for every one of the dozens of romhacks and fangames lol, dont understand why GAF and Kotaku are so hell-bent on getting these projects noticed and taken down

has nobody tried neo x and neo y? looks but but im weary of hacks where they change typings and movesets a lot, dont wanna get used to something like that

props to the pokecommunity for not making a new thread for every one of the dozens of romhacks and fangames lol, dont understand why GAF and Kotaku are so hell-bent on getting these projects noticed and taken down

The weird thing is that some well-known fangames like Zeta/Omicron, as well that "Mother 4" fangame have been completely left alone. So has Super Mario Crossover, which was pretty popular a few years ago. ROM hacks seem to be pretty safe.

Devs also need to learn to stop publically announcing fan projects so early in development. I'm pleasantly surprised that AM2R managed to get out a complete version, because I remember sites reporting on it since as early as 2013.

Kyzer

Banned
The weird thing is that some well-known fangames like Zeta/Omicron, as well that "Mother 4" fangame have been completely left alone. So has Super Mario Crossover, which was pretty popular a few years ago. ROM hacks seem to be pretty safe.

Devs also need to learn to stop publically announcing fan projects so early in development. I'm pleasantly surprised that AM2R managed to get out a complete version, because I remember sites reporting on it since as early as 2013.

yeah I mean even A2MR and Uranium havent gotten C&D from Nintendo personally supposedly, its only mirrors. I think its a situation where Nintendo tries as hard as it can to be cool but they are a conservative company so they have no choice but to make certain decisions when something comes across their desks

I didn't even know that there's a working 3DS emulator.

ive seen 1080p citra pokemon x footage floating around, but I would be using my 3ds. I havent even installed homebrew yet but I do have an extra 3ds so im considering it

brinstar

I somehow missed the whole Looker sidequest in Pokemon X, so I went and did that today. And... in a lot of ways I found that more entertaining than the main story of X/Y.

I somehow missed the whole Looker sidequest in Pokemon X, so I went and did that today. And... in a lot of ways I found that more entertaining than the main story of X/Y.

That's probably because Looker is quite a great take on the hard boiled detective trope and the sidequest covers his outlook on justice in a rather subtle manner like when he's questioning Xerosic about Emma's role in the whole mess. It's an actual developed plotline that has a logical conclusion unlike the mess of idea bloat that was XY's main narrative (There's really only three main characters to worry about in the sidequest). That's one of the reasons why I look forward to Sun and Moon because they seemed to have toned down the idea bloat (Less admins for the evil team, less "friends" etc.) and all the ideas that are present seem to be cohesive within the setting.

brinstar

That's probably because Looker is quite a great take on the hard boiled detective trope and the sidequest covers his outlook on justice in a rather subtle manner like when he's questioning Xerosic about Emma's role in the whole mess. It's an actual developed plotline that has a logical conclusion unlike the mess of idea bloat that was XY's main narrative (There's really only three main characters to worry about in the sidequest). That's one of the reasons why I look forward to Sun and Moon because they seemed to have toned down the idea bloat (Less admins for the evil team, less "friends" etc.) and all the ideas that are present seem to be cohesive within the setting.

I really hope they nail the characters in Sun/Moon. I didn't mind the idea of having a friend group in X/Y but they felt so bland compared to Cheren/Bianca and their Pokemon teams never felt properly fleshed out to me. Guzma already seems like a substantial step up from Lysandre so I have hope.

Foxxsoxx

I really hope they nail the characters in Sun/Moon. I didn't mind the idea of having a friend group in X/Y but they felt so bland compared to Cheren/Bianca and their Pokemon teams never felt properly fleshed out to me. Guzma already seems like a substantial step up from Lysandre so I have hope.

I know we won't ever get one again, but I'd love another rival like Gary, the dude was a total jerk but that made you want to destroy him in battles. He actually felt like a threat and in the recent games rivals are pushovers that can't seem to help fluff everything up with the power of friendship.

Top Bottom