• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

I'm nearing the end of my XY (re)playthrough, and while I don't mind the rival too much, the game is still a bit too easy for my liking (and I already turned the XP Share off long ago). FFS the Rival still only has a team of 4 around the time of the 7th gym.
TTar can have Unnerve as well, so potentially not a weather conflict.

Which is why it's good to have that info beforehand :p

brinstar

I know we won't ever get one again, but I'd love another rival like Gary, the dude was a total jerk but that made you want to destroy him in battles. He actually felt like a threat and in the recent games rivals are pushovers that can't seem to help fluff everything up with the power of friendship.

I guess it's not a very popular opinion but I never thought Gary was interesting or threatening as a rival, just an annoyance. I'm more of a fan of when the rival characters are friends I'd actually be interested in keeping in touch with. My problem is just I hate when the rivals don't stay competitive with the MC.

I like the idea of the friend gang in X/Y but their Pokemon teams aren't very interesting. One thing I really liked about Barry/Cheren and Bianca was that they grew to have full Pokemon teams to battle you with.

Menitta

Finishing up Indigo League. When I originally watched it, I hated it. Misty was terrible, the voice acting was atrocious, and it just wasn't entertaining.

This time, I was entertained. I stand behind all those complaints, but it's entertaining. If I were to rank every series, it would be 3rd behind Sinnoh and XY.

I had problems with it like how Ash is kinda stupid, which is funny at first, but gets really jarring after a while. Gary is the best character and he shows up very rarely. The animation was bad, but I won't hold it against it. I still hate Misty. She is such a condescending bitch. Even before Ash stole her bike. That tells me if Ash hadn't ruined her bike, she still would've been like that.

Binging it makes me never want to hear the fucking Poke Rap ever again.

Aside from all the complaints, I still enjoyed it. I give it 8 Fat Pikachu's out of 10.

Hydrus

I had problems with it like how Ash is kinda stupid, which is funny at first, but gets really jarring after a while.

This was his first adventure. He supposed to be naive and gullible. The fact that he's an idiot in Black and White is what's pathetic.

Just beat Red in Storm Silver. I expected the battle to be almost impossible to beat, but he was actually easier than Blue and the trainers in Viridian Forest. I'm disappointed.

I might start my 2nd playthrough of Blaze Black 2 tomorrow.

Hydrus

They never made a black and white anime season

10926738.jpg

Yea, I know it's hard to remember, it was that bad.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Weird that we didn't get a schedule for the next SM video

what the fuck is that real? lmao

I heard stories

but I had no idea

to be fair though from what I heard he did it for his friends

mind you I never watched BW in its entirety as I jumped ship immediately after a few episodes

Chase17

Next time we get new info should hopefully be Friday for Worlds.

Although I could see them instead showing a new Pokken character and announcing the DLC for Wii U.

Next time we get new info should hopefully be Friday for Worlds.

Although I could see them instead showing a new Pokken character and announcing the DLC for Wii U.

I can't see there being no Sun Moon info at worlds. Pokken being shown happened in the year with no new main game coming after all

Menitta

This was his first adventure. He supposed to be naive and gullible. The fact that he's an idiot in Black and White is what's pathetic.

Absolutely and I understand, but like, after a while, it gets kinda tiring. Just a personal qualm.

Fuck Black and White.

gardfish

I know we won't ever get one again, but I'd love another rival like Gary, the dude was a total jerk but that made you want to destroy him in battles. He actually felt like a threat and in the recent games rivals are pushovers that can't seem to help fluff everything up with the power of friendship.

Honestly...playing through R/B again right now and I'm realizing that most of the characterization of Blue as an arrogant jerk comes from the anime. He's maybe a little overconfident, but he offers you helpful advice, gives you items, and he's sometimes legitimately friendly. He's much less far-removed from the friendly rivals of Gen 3 onward than you'd think.

Chase17

My favorite part of that image is that he only brought the one Pokemon to a gym battle. When does he ever just leave the others in a room or something. Such confidence is impressive.

The only real asshole rival was Gen 2. Dude straight up steals his first pokemon
Edit:holy shit that scene is bad

My issue with him was his team was almost Team Rocket like and wasn't very interesting either.

I agree with the people who like the hardass rivals. The friendly kids suck.

Currently playing Heart Gold and wondering... I have beaten the Elite 4 and am now exploring Kanto, and finally used my masterball to catch Ho-oh. Thing is, by now i have all bases covered and a pretty balanced team, so i don't really see the point in screwing that up to fit Ho-Oh in there? I mean, what is really the point of a legendary Pokemon that you usually get near the end of a game when you are already pretty much overpowered or at least strong enough to not even NEED one? Talking about strictly in game of course not competitive stuff etc.

JoeM86

Not even close to the worst thing I've heard about happening in Best wishes

Remember the episode of Best Wishes where Ash scanned his Pokédex on Corphish and Buizel?

Like I get why they do it, because the younger watcher may not know, but this is why we need a new trainer with the group. Serena, May and Dawn always scanned the Pokémon that Ash had seen before while Ash did the new ones for the most part. However, that's why I always go by the rule that unless Ash references his scanning of the Pokédex, just to ignore it as it's clearly for viewer reasons

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Currently playing Heart Gold and wondering... I have beaten the Elite 4 and am now exploring Kanto, and finally used my masterball to catch Ho-oh. Thing is, by now i have all bases covered and a pretty balanced team, so i don't really see the point in screwing that up to fit Ho-Oh in there? I mean, what is really the point of a legendary Pokemon that you usually get near the end of a game when you are already pretty much overpowered or at least strong enough to not even NEED one? Talking about strictly in game of course not competitive stuff etc.

D: may the legendary beast be kind to you
jAcnpup.jpg

Remember the episode of Best Wishes where Ash scanned his Pokédex on Corphish and Buizel?

Like I get why they do it, because the younger watcher may not know, but this is why we need a new trainer with the group. Serena, May and Dawn always scanned the Pokémon that Ash had seen before while Ash did the new ones for the most part. However, that's why I always go by the rule that unless Ash references his scanning of the Pokédex, just to ignore it as it's clearly for viewer reasons

My reasoning for Ash doing that for Pokémon he already saw is that he gets a new Dex for each season so he wants to fill that paticular one as much as possible even with Pokémon he's familiar with.

Kind of like us with the games.

Edit: it's bullshit that if I evolve Pikachu in Pokémon yellow he stops following me around.

I want to evolve Pikachu but I also want a Pokémon following me around.

Menitta

Tom Ayto, Ann Chovie, and Caeser Salad. Never Forget.

Edit: Wow they just didn't care about saying real world places back then.

Edit 2: Jigglypuff is such a dick.

Wow, Netflix doesn't have all of the Indigo League! They only have up to episode 52. That's really upsetting! I'm starting to get bored of the series, tbh. I honestly don't remember the last gym Ash fought.

Busaiku

Are there any major differences between Crystal and Heart Gold that would effectively retcon the former out, like in the case of Alpha Sapphire?
I'm getting Emerald because it's different enough, and Yellow cause it's easy to get.

I've never played 2nd gen, but if Heart Gold isn't that radically different, I don't think I ever will.

Are there any major differences between Crystal and Heart Gold that would effectively retcon the former out, like in the case of Alpha Sapphire?
I'm getting Emerald because it's different enough, and Yellow cause it's easy to get.

I've never played 2nd gen, but if Heart Gold isn't that radically different, I don't think I ever will.
Define "radically different."

Busaiku

Like Emerald and Alpha Sapphire.
Obviously Megas aren't a factor, but are there any events that would alter the story otherwise?

Like Emerald and Alpha Sapphire.
Obviously Megas aren't a factor, but are there any events that would alter the story otherwise?

There was a (now defunct) event that revealed the Rival was Giovanni's son, but that's about it. Also more attention is given to the lore behind Lugia/Ho-Oh and the running trio.

Busaiku

Right, in Heart Gold.
Was there anything in Crystal that I wouldn't get in Heart Gold though?
Like Wallace as Champion or a Pikachu that surfs.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Never forget...
W2crjIb.jpg

I would rather watch that than the snooze fest that is Kalos Ash, it just seems like that everyone wants to suck his dick, including Greninja.

Right, in Heart Gold.
Was there anything in Crystal that I wouldn't get in Heart Gold though?
Like Wallace as Champion or a Pikachu that surfs.

Well Red team in Heart Gold is different from Crystal version but other than that they are pretty much the same.

Honestly if you only had to play one gen 2 game, you can't go wrong with the remake.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I would rather watch that than the snooze fest that is Kalos Ash, it just seems like that everyone wants to suck his dick, including Greninja.

Well it's not my problem a character finally gets treated with respect. I never knew people are so masochistic.

Top Bottom