• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Articalys

I really don't mind that he's going to win, I just don't like how it's because Greninja has what is apparently a destined legendary super-special unique shonen power-up that, once mastered, has effectively shown to be nearly invincible, even against Megas.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really don't mind that he's going to win, I just don't like how it's because Greninja has what is apparently a destined legendary super-special unique shonen power-up that, once mastered, has effectively shown to be nearly invincible, even against Megas.

It is a mega tho

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

it's not really invincible though, has so many drawbacks to use

it's arguably just a mega

Man this hype is too real. I want to skip to XY right now, but whatever it's kinda pointless since I doubt I'll be caught up by the time the finals air. It also might be hard to go back to johto after watching XY.

Whatevs I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Boss Doggie

Functionally, I guess, but lore-wise it's still a different special innate ability.
Outside of the whole "shared pain" thing, what other drawbacks are there? Once they perfected it he hasn't passed out from it again yet.
no more different than your mega

Is Team Flare particularly hated, or just plain unmemorable?

At least in-game they're wholly unmemorable, with a run-of-the-mill evil plan as well as looking dumb and having bad music. There's no notable Admin aside from Lysandre, and his final fight is only notable because you fight him immediately after you get the box legendary.

They're just under Team Plasma in terms of disappointments. At least Plasma had good music and a semi-decent premise to their plan, even if the end result was a total cop-out.

PK Gaming

Functionally, I guess, but lore-wise it's still a different special innate ability.

Outside of the whole "shared pain" thing, what other drawbacks are there? Once they perfected it he hasn't passed out from it again yet.

The shared senses is a pretty big strength / weakness. Not sure why it needs more than that? Especially when it's just barely competing with other Mega Pokemon.

Xux

There's the lifespan aspect. In three months,
Greninja will be banished to the purgatory known as Professor Oak's ranch.

MAtgS

so much potential, wasted

Could've made it all back if they just adapted the World Tournament from B2W2. Return of multiple past characters returning, Ash getting his redemption for not winning badges properly before in new battles against Misty/Serena/Erika, Hilbert/Ethan/Lucas/Brandon finally facing the Ketchum, Lt. Surge looking more game accurate with no explanation given....

But no, instead we get.....this:
World_Tournament_Junior_Cup.png

Rowlet

Banned
I'm actually kind of glad that...
Ash lost the Kalos league. My enjoyment of seeing Ash as the protagonist of the series far exceeds my desire to see him win the league - which would result him being written out of the show.

Anyways, off to sun and sun

Puruzi

Banned
I'm actually kind of glad that...
Ash lost the Kalos league. My enjoyment of seeing Ash as the protagonist of the series far exceeds my desire to see him win the league - which would result him being written out of the show.

Anyways, off to sun and sun
No it wouldn't. Ash can win and still be the protagonist

Boss Doggie

Yeah too much salt on that other thread lol

I'll still stick to XY though, since the Flare plot is exciting, and honestly part of me still thinks they're saving another Ash vs Alain.

Chase17

Ash losing doesn't alter my opinion of XY at all. Still think these three seasons have been really enjoyable as a Pokémon fan.

Busaiku

Again, I'm not a fan of how boring Ash has gotten.

Pikachu's also gotten pretty tame too, but that's been going on since at least Black/White. Maybe earlier, but I skipped most of Advanced and Diamond/Pearl.
Stuff like the Pokéball factory were gold though.

Stronger main cast support made it ok though.
I hated Serena early on, but after cutting her hair, she became the best.

Maybe they can get some personality in Alola.

GoldStarz

I'd be fine with Ash losing if he hadn't lost to the M. Charizard X tbh, like have Ash-Greninja sustain a lot of damage getting Zard down and then have the knock out. I'm pretty sure they're gonna end up having a rematch in the Flare Arc though so hopefully Zard gets KO'd there since he's lost like one match because he was distracted.

gardfish

So, while we're all disappointed in that anime result...there's supposed to be live Sun/Moon gameplay at Gamescom in about half an hour, right? Anyone know if it's going to be streamed or not?

Boss Doggie

Yeah I'm still sticking to XY, despite the league, it's still the best of what the anime could offer and honestly I'm looking forward to Lysandre's Third Impact

So, while we're all disappointed in that anime result...there's supposed to be live Sun/Moon gameplay at Gamescom in about half an hour, right? Anyone know if it's going to be streamed or not?

don't they usually just give news to it

Busaiku

Serenash was cool and all, but no Ashley is still lame.
Unova had the best Ashley episode though. Female Pikachu was the best.

Articalys

The shared senses is a pretty big strength / weakness. Not sure why it needs more than that? Especially when it's just barely competing with other Mega Pokemon.
I was just asking Boss about the "so many drawbacks" line, not saying it needed more myself. Anyway thankfully it's a moot point since it lost.

Boss Doggie

I think this is the link for the S/M gameplay. Could be wrong

Is next week the Zygarde two parter?

no, next three eps are usual 30 mins, then after those three is the 1 hour special

I was just asking Boss about the "so many drawbacks" line, not saying it needed more myself. Anyway thankfully it's a moot point since it lost.

shared pain means it's a last resort thing, since being tired to command other mons is a bad thing

GoldStarz

Is Team Flare particularly hated, or just plain unmemorable?

I'd say a mix in that they would be unmemorable if it weren't for the fact they were so hated. Basically they were a pretty clear attempt at a Team Rocket pastiche (random, mostly unconnected criminal action; petty and shallow grunts and admins; etc) but they ended up really missing the mark in terms of success. That'd be bad enough on it's own, but they apparently didn't want to completely drop the ball on having plot after B/W and B2/W2 so they shoehorned in a plot about how Team Flare's leader, Lysandre, had the goal of basically committing genocide to kill all non-Team Flare humans so that the Pokemon could live peacefully among humans which is TOTALLY at odds with the rest of the team's members, including the main scientists, whose only goal is about making money and generally protecting their own self-interests. In addition, they had like 7 'big' members of which only around two were actually fleshed out.

So basically they were bland, totally disjointed, and poorly characterized.

R0ckman

The writing for the loss seemed kind of bad. Kind of like something a 5 year old would do playing with toys and just needing the one toy to lose to the other.

Even if they needed him to lose you would think they would have written this a bit better. With youkai watch breathing down their necks over there and the pokemon show losing ratings you could tell they were desperate with the inclusion of the Serena love crush thing.

Sun and Moon anime will probably tank in ratings after this, so all they can rely on are advertising cool choreographed battle animations.

Top Bottom