• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

R0ckman

Interesting they brought back Pokemon BW writers just for these 2 episodes people are complaining about. Clearly they knew what they were doing when they set this up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Interesting they brought back Pokemon BW writers just for these 2 episodes people are complaining about. Clearly they knew what they were doing when they set this up.

there was no staff change outside of the director though, the writers of XY are still BW

also the writers of the last two eps were the ones who mostly did the excellent XY gym fights

Mr-Joker

Banned
Is Team Flare particularly hated, or just plain unmemorable?

Both, Team Flare arc in X and Y was not well spread out and thus they don't come off well.

Which is why I was gutted when I found out that "Pokémon Z" wasn't happening as they could have benefited from it like how Cyrus did with Platinum as he was fleshed out better than his Diamond and Pearl counterpart.

Heck Neo Team Rocket, Team Magma/Aqua got fleshed out in their remakes.

hey if phanpy can make it out of there, anyone can.

Phanpy was an unevolved Pokémon who joined Ash's team far too late, this was the writer giving him a bone while doing a filler arc.

Greninja is a fully evolved Pokémon and has been with Ash since the start of the Kalos animé, he will not be going with Ash to the Alola region as his arc is complete.

Greninja will get sent to Oak along with Ash's Kalos team barring Pikachu.

No it wouldn't. Ash can win and still be the protagonist

Ash is a marketing tool for the game, he has to lose so the writer can set up the next region and start the cycle again.

R0ckman

there was no staff change outside of the director though, the writers of XY are still BW

also the writers of the last two eps were the ones who mostly did the excellent XY gym fights

Interesting, my friend had moved to Japan to do manga and even got on TV over there. He came back for break from manga school and told me some dissapointing things about the media industry over there.

It seems they treat the population like they are idiots. He had been pulled to the side several times saying his Japanese writing was too advance for the audience and to dumb it down. I kid you not, a foriegner, 27 year old writing japanese that is too advance for the native speakers.

It also seems that they care not for progression but cool battles and romantic scense. These barebone hooks seem to be all they think viewers care about.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, from what I heard you really need to have balls or just be established to actually do something you like.

PK Gaming

Well, as salty as I am over the loss, Ash-Greninja did in one season that Ash + Pikachu couldn't capture in pretty much the entire show's runtime. Will keep tabs on the show until that stops being a thing.

Well, as salty as I am over the loss, Ash-Greninja did in one season that Ash + Pikachu couldn't capture in pretty much the entire show's runtime. Will keep tabs on the show until that stops being a thing.
That's a good point pikachu for as good as it is never got ash this close.

fJ9mGMe.jpg

Ordered this from Amazon

XY Writers: "Alright. Ash wins the league and then Team Flare strikes before they have time to celebrate."

BW Writers: " Oh you sweet summer children. You clearly have no idea what people want. Here's what you do."

(BW Writers cross out "wins" and writes in "loses")

XY Writers: "What the hell is this?"

BW Writers: "You'll understand later. YOLO."

XY Writers: "Alright. Ash wins the league and then Team Flare strikes before they have time to celebrate."

BW Writers: " Oh you sweet summer children. You clearly have no idea what people want. Here's what you do."

I heard the BW and XY writers are the same.

Boss Doggie

honestly I'm more peeved at people who aren't into XY suddenly declaring the quality of the show as though they watched it whole specifically only due to the league

same writers

hell, the BW writers are the writers from AG, some even as old as OS

People acting like ash being a loser started in bw

That was just his most losingest phase
hell, XY is currently his highest achievement

R0ckman

Im still scratching my head at this, I mean their ratings are dropping so they are doing everything to boost them, they brought back Ash's Charizard, they forced in romance, this was clearly a pull to an older audience, I'm assuming Youkai Watch has gotten the kids in Japan still. This league outcome was probably the worst thing they could have done for an older audience.

They caught the attention of older fans especially in the social media age (which is playing with fire in and of itself) and right off the fire of Pokemon Go. The alignment was there for an anime rebirth but they **** the bed and their undergarments while laughing about it. I'm a bit more dissapointed that they cant get rid of Ash. Does Pikachu need to be in the cast of the main characters? Why is appearing in intros and other areas not enough?

And I mean the battle wasn't even well done either from what I saw, these people's jobs are on the line. WTF are they doing? Lol. How is doing the same thing over again going to keep your ratings going up? People want contiunity, people want progression and development. This is almost unreal behavior from professionals. DBZ played on early morning cartoons when I was 6-7, it had progression. There is no excuse for brain dead mess.

Boss Doggie

YW is actually not doing so well in ratings either

also again, you're conflating XY's quality over this single league outcome

Chase17

Worlds tomorrow here's hoping for some pokken and mainline Pokemon game news.
Here's hoping Greninja is randomly revealed for Pokken.

Im still scratching my head at this, I mean their ratings are dropping so they are doing everything to boost them, they brought back Ash's Charizard, they forced in romance, this was clearly a pull to an older audience, I'm assuming Youkai Watch has gotten the kids in Japan still. This league outcome was probably the worst thing they could have done for an older audience.

They caught the attention of older fans especially in the social media age (which is playing with fire in and of itself) and right off the fire of Pokemon Go. The alignment was there for an anime rebirth but they **** the bed and their undergarments while laughing about it. I'm a bit more dissapointed that they cant get rid of Ash. Does Pikachu need to be in the cast of the main characters? Why is appearing in intros and other areas not enough?

And I mean the battle wasn't even well done either from what I saw, these people's jobs are on the line. WTF are they doing? Lol. How is doing the same thing over again going to keep your ratings going up? People want contiunity, people want progression and development. This is almost unreal behavior from professionals. DBZ played on early morning cartoons when I was 6-7, it had progression. There is no excuse for brain dead mess.
I don't think the success or failure of a show really hinges on the outcome of the league. If you stick around for 100+ episodes of the show, chances are that you like it on at least some level. And while one may be disappointed by the final outcome, it doesn't retroactively ruin what was enjoyable about the show before, especially in Pokémon where a random filler episode can be one of the most enjoyable of the season (looking at you Pokeball factory). Would B/W as a whole be looked upon favorably if Ash were to have won the Unova league?

As far as a ratings go, I don't know that a league victory would lead to any sort of long term improvement. And while I'd also be interested in a new protagonist (although I'm fine with Ash), I'd guess that would only have short term gains as well, as many core aspects of the show would likely remain the same. I'd be curious to hear about any long running series that did successfully change protagonists throughout. Only thing that comes to mind is Yugioh, and I have no idea how that panned out ratings wise. My intuition could be way off here of course.

Lastly, I don't think you can really have the same expectations of a Pokémon anime as you can something like DBZ. DBZ is based on a manga, that was created/written by one person who envisioned an ending and had no limitations when it comes to their story. There is no end in sight for Pokémon. The anime is used to promote the latest games and merch and the writers most likely have orders from the higher ups that need to be fulfilled. Considering the situation, I'm glad the anime is as good as it is (just my opinion of course).

Here's hoping Greninja is randomly revealed for Pokken.

I don't think the success or failure of a show really hinges on the outcome of the league. If you stick around for 100+ episodes of the show, chances are that you like it on at least some level. And while one may be disappointed by the final outcome, it doesn't retroactively ruin what was enjoyable about the show before, especially in Pokémon where a random filler episode can be one of the most enjoyable of the season (looking at you Pokeball factory). Would B/W as a whole be looked upon favorably if Ash were to have won the Unova league?

As far as a ratings go, I don't know that a league victory would lead to any sort of long term improvement. And while I'd also be interested in a new protagonist (although I'm fine with Ash), I'd guess that would only have short term gains as well, as many core aspects of the show would likely remain the same. I'd be curious to hear about any long running series that did successfully change protagonists throughout. Only thing that comes to mind is Yugioh, and I have no idea how that panned out ratings wise. My intuition could be way off here of course.

Lastly, I don't think you can really have the same expectations of a Pokémon anime as you can something like DBZ. DBZ is based on a manga, that was created/written by one person who envisioned an ending and had no limitations when it comes to their story. There is no end in sight for Pokémon. The anime is used to promote the latest games and merch and the writers most likely have orders from the higher ups that need to be fulfilled. Considering the situation, I'm glad the anime is as good as it is (just my opinion of course).
That would be the best random reveal ever.

Chase17

Also note that ratings don't really matter for shows like this.
Yeah, I was a little surprised to see that brought up a lot after the loss. Don't think I've ever seen them mentioned before. Some in the other thread made it sound like the show was under threat of immediate cancellation.

That would be the best random reveal ever.

They know this is the best was to surpass the out of left field Pikachu Libre announcement from last year.

Yeah, I was a little surprised to see that brought up a lot after the loss. Don't think I've ever seen them mentioned before. Some in the other thread made it sound like the show was under threat of immediate cancellation.

They know this is the best was to surpass the out of left field Pikachu Libre announcement from last year.
Man you getting my hype levels up now lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty sure it's gonna go down like this next season.

Ash keeps greninja and unlocks it's full mega potential

Ash unlocks the lightning z move with pikachu through bonding and pika feeling like he lets ash down

Ash get's Rowlett who once evolved has a rivalry with greninja

If serena sticks around she gets popplio for contest reasons

Boss Doggie

If nobody is watching the show but the merch keeps selling, what is the point of the show?

That's the million dollar question. We have so many examples of shows tanking in ratings but the merch selling regardless, and they ended up staying on air.

Bubble

Neo Member
I was always under the impression that Japan liked BW and disliked XY. However, if the ratings were tanking when BW aired, then I guess Japan didn't like BW at all.

Wiseblade

That's the million dollar question. We have so many examples of shows tanking in ratings but the merch selling regardless, and they ended up staying on air.
Honestly, I think the anime would be more effective promotion of the franchise if Ash left. As it is, the anime has taken on a life of its own and only serves itself. Pokémon GO's release was the catalyst for an upswing in Gen VI game sales and a dominance of social media. The Kalos League resulted in two Kotaku articles and a bitter avatar bet.

I was always under the impression that Japan liked BW and disliked XY. However, if the ratings were tanking when BW aired, then I guess Japan didn't like BW at all.

The one thing I absolutely loved about Black and White were the random Pokémon filler tournaments in it.

That's my biggest complaint about X and Y anime.

I loved the all the improvements the XYZ made but in the end I want to see Pokémon battles and tournaments.

Also, all the things Japan was facing at the time BW aired could also be a reason or part of why BW ratings tank.

Gengahrrr

Anything to expect during the opening ceremony today?

Was Mega Kahn revealed in the opening ceremony or at some other time during worlds?

Chase17

Anything to expect during the opening ceremony today?

Was Mega Kahn revealed in the opening ceremony or at some other time during worlds?
There was mega Kahn in 2013
Mega Slowbro in 2014
And Pikachu Libre/Pokken Wii U announcement in 2015

So chances are good we will get some kind of reveal.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So we already have EX cards,Mega cards,BREAK cards and now GX cards along with dual typing Pokémon cards recently coming back. This new TCG rotation is looking very exciting and I can't wait to see how the GX cards shake the Meta.

Edit:

Any of you guys play the Pokemon Tabletop united RPG? I've heard good things, but wanted some more thoughts on it.
Me and 4 other people have been playing a session for nearly 2 years! At one point we were so active our session actually made the top leaderboard at roll20.

Of course this session was never intended to go on for so long but college/work has caused everyone to have conflicting schedules so scheduling a session is kinda hard at times.

My group is just 1 session away from finally finishing this story we started so the only thing I can tell you is to have a good GM,a group with a good imagination and try to have fun.Oh and if you never played a Tabletop game before your going to have alot of learning to do but PTU at roll20 has been updated graciously over time to make certain table top aspects easier.

Honestly, I think the anime would be more effective promotion of the franchise if Ash left. As it is, the anime has taken on a life of its own and only serves itself. Pokémon GO's release was the catalyst for an upswing in Gen VI game sales and a dominance of social media. The Kalos League resulted in two Kotaku articles and a bitter avatar bet.

yes, cause japan measures how successful the anime is by number of kotaku articles and neogaf avatar bets

the anime is a literal money sink
it probably makes no money for the franchise as a whole but serves as a reminder for like everyone that pokemon still exists and it has merch and games to sell

Top Bottom