• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Hypnotoad

You can get these very easily on the GTS, just post the other starters or fossil and say you want those

I will take a look. But I guess I can't breed my evolved starters, since they are male? (yes, I am a casual player, I soft resetted for starter female just when starting Pokemon Y, not for Omega Ruby)

Wiseblade

I don't trade nicknamed Pokémon but I do nickname my personal team. Gives me an opportunity to flex my pun brain
All of my EV trained Pokémon are nicknamed. After putting in the effort (ha!) raising them and having them battle for me, a nickname feels appropriate.

Hypnotoad

Didn't know these were a thing but watching Shiny capturing fails is too amusing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV1Jof4_VJQ
Wish there were more than 12 videos compiled by the dude.

I cought the first shiny ever (outside of chain fishing) yesterday, during the first random Whismur encounter in Pokemon Y. Almost didn't bother the catch it, but it looked off, so in the last second I opened Bulbapedia to confirm that it was not the normal color scheme, otherwise it would have slipped by.

Reading this thread has made me pick up Omega Ruby again. Going through the Hoenn Pokedex, I am missing the following to completion

-Treecko
-Lileep

Would be great if somebody could trade me those. I have nothing worthwile to offer, except for a shiny Gyarados with terrible IV's. ^_^

As for legendaries, I still need

-Latias
-Kyogre
-Jirachi

I can part with a Arceus from the recent European distribution. Since I don't look much into IV's and nature, its are as follows

-Three perfect IV's (HP, Attack, Speed)
Sassy nature, Alert to sounds

If you have Omega Ruby, then Latias should be available through the Eon Ticket. They were distributed through serial codes, but anyone can get them through Streetpass you just need to pass someone who has it and it transfers to you. If you've had the Streetpass on then you might have had the Eon Ticket and didn't even know it. Just accept it through the Buzznav where you get your news from, and pick it up from the delivery girl in the Pokécenter. Then just talk to Norman (your dad) and a sailor will take you to Latias or Latios depending on the game.

L.O.R.D

oh man,Pokemon fan theories,they never ceases to amaze me (sorry for the long post).

jI6Z3ai.jpg

OHsAfhI.jpg

RgVJNgs.jpg

sRk8r2U.jpg

Kg9Wt0B.jpg

kmE1BBL.jpg

m58Letc.jpg

tGNmJNa.jpg

KfcCtM2.jpg

SqcpjCE.jpg

KY7pDoM.jpg

UGjGcrv.jpg

Bu0Ci1P.jpg

RBiHll1.jpg

yzgX9zv.jpg

J9cZSFs.jpg

Hypnotoad

If you have Omega Ruby, then Latias should be available through the Eon Ticket. They were distributed through serial codes, but anyone can get them through Streetpass you just need to pass someone who has it and it transfers to you. If you've had the Streetpass on then you might have had the Eon Ticket and didn't even know it. Just accept it through the Buzznav where you get your news from, and pick it up from the delivery girl in the Pokécenter. Then just talk to Norman (your dad) and a sailor will take you to Latias or Latios depending on the game.

I just checked all my Buzznav messages, haven't gotten a Eon Ticket though. But at least managed to breed a Torchid with Ditto. Deposited it through the GTS, since everybody who has a Treecko right now wants some absurd legendary. At least I got a Lileep off it.

Catching up on a lot of mechanics today, thats for sure!

I just checked all my Buzznav messages, haven't gotten a Eon Ticket though. But at least managed to breed a Torchid with Ditto. Deposited it through the GTS, since everybody who has a Treecko right now wants some absurd legendary. At least I got a Lileep off it.

Catching up on a lot of mechanics today, thats for sure!

The best I can tell you is to just to keep the Streetpass on and the 3ds on or in sleep mode when you go out and hope to Streetpass someone with the ticket eventually. Otherwise, the GTS is great as long as you offer fair trades. Fair trades happen so fast that you will often only see people asking for unfair or impossible trades. If you are going to offer starters or fossils, you should know that since so many people offer them, it might take some time before someone sees yours even if it's a fair trade.

If you'd let me share a personal story on the GTS, I had once deposited a Seadra in it's 70s holding a Dragon Scale. What I had asked for in return was a Terrakion, a Legendary Pokémon. The trade had to have happened in about 5 to 30 seconds and I now had a new Terrakion. Funny thing is, I was planning on trading the Seadra to myself so I could get a Kindra, I had given it the moves I wanted and EV trained it in the areas I wanted. I only asked for a Terrakion because I had one in my other game and I thought asking for a Legendary would take some time for someone willing to trade. I had my game right next to me after I finished the deposit, so I switched the games as fast as I could because I really didn't want to chance being too slow on the Seadra I trained. But when I searched for my Seadra, it wasn't there. I thought "there is no way it could have been that fast," but when I switched back to check, I saw that message, "The Pokémon you deposited was traded!" In the 30 seconds it took me to switch my games and turn on the GTS, someone got a battle ready Kingdra and I got an extra Terrakion I didn't even need. My best guess on how it was so fast is that the person who had the Terrakion already deposited it and asked for a Seadra, so when I deposited mine the GTS must have traded automatically. I was inconvenienced, but I ended up hatching another Horsea, EV training it again, and giving the new Seadra another Dragon Scale, only this time I used the other game to deposit a weak Pokémon and asked for that high level Seadra. So the GTS can be useful for evolving your own Pokémon too or trading items to yourself, if you're clever with it.

Hypnotoad

The best I can tell you is to just to keep the Streetpass on and the 3ds on or in sleep mode when you go out and hope to Streetpass someone with the ticket eventually. Otherwise, the GTS is great as long as you offer fair trades. Fair trades happen so fast that you will often only see people asking for unfair or impossible trades. If you are going to offer starters or fossils, you should know that since so many people offer them, it might take some time before someone sees yours even if it's a fair trade.

If you'd let me share a personal story on the GTS, I had once deposited a Seadra in it's 70s holding a Dragon Scale. What I had asked for in return was a Terrakion, a Legendary Pokémon. The trade had to have happened in about 5 to 30 seconds and I now had a new Terrakion. Funny thing is, I was planning on trading the Seadra to myself so I could get a Kindra, I had given it the moves I wanted and EV trained it in the areas I wanted. I only asked for a Terrakion because I had one in my other game and I thought asking for a Legendary would take some time for someone willing to trade. I had my game right next to me after I finished the deposit, so I switched the games as fast as I could because I really didn't want to chance being too slow on the Seadra I trained. But when I searched for my Seadra, it wasn't there. I thought "there is no way it could have been that fast," but when I switched back to check, I saw that message, "The Pokémon you deposited was traded!" In the 30 seconds it took me to switch my games and turn on the GTS, someone got a battle ready Kingdra and I got an extra Terrakion I didn't even need. My best guess on how it was so fast is that the person who had the Terrakion already deposited it and asked for a Seadra, so when I deposited mine the GTS must have traded automatically. I was inconvenienced, but I ended up hatching another Horsea, EV training it again, and giving the new Seadra another Dragon Scale, only this time I used the other game to deposit a weak Pokémon and asked for that high level Seadra. So the GTS can be useful for evolving your own Pokémon too or trading items to yourself, if you're clever with it.

Right, I just deposited a Torchip and got a Treecko immediately! And I am going to use the GTS to transfer Pokemon from Y to Omega Ruby - since I live in Mainland China, there just aren't alot of 3DS users to trade with locally.

Wiseblade

Right, I just deposited a Torchip and got a Treecko immediately! And I am going to use the GTS to transfer Pokemon from Y to Omega Ruby - since I live in Mainland China, there just aren't alot of 3DS users to trade with locally.

Do you not have access to Pokémon Bank? Using GTS makes it really easy for someone to intercept your trades.

Hypnotoad

Do you not have access to Pokémon Bank? Using GTS makes it really easy for someone to intercept your trades.

Haven't downloaded it yet, that's another thing I will do before Sun&Moon comes out. Along with transfering all a bunch of legendaries from an old Pearl savefile, which will be quite a hazzle, since I will have to buy Black&White (2) first. All in due time.

Wiseblade

Haven't downloaded it yet, that's another thing I will do before Sun&Moon comes out. Along with transfering all a bunch of legendaries from an old Pearl savefile, which will be quite a hazzle, since I will have to buy Black&White (2) first. All in due time.
DO IT NOW.

NOW.

If you're planning on moving Pokémon between Generation VI games, Bank is a must. There is absolutely no reason to risk using the GTS when Bank exists.

Team Rocket at it again with the fourth wall breaking dialogue. On episode 9 of Johto (or somewhere around there), at the beginning they're under a bridge setting up a trap to capture pikachu, something goes wrong and they bridge collapses over them. Then Meowth says something like "We usually don't wash out this early in the episode."

That Chikorita is lowkey buff for being able to almost take out Charizard, and somehow taking out Bulbasaur with one vine whip.

Omg I love it when the characters copy Team Rocket's motto. In the Chikorita rescue episode, Ash starts throwin out bars like "You may find me a little bit brash, but the master is here, and his name is Ash! My Pokemon team is faster than light, give up now or prepare to fight!" and then Meowth finishes it off with the "Meowth, that's right!"

The latest episode I watched was the one where he gets the first Johto badge against the bird guy. He actually earned this one without any weirdness going on, yay. I like how the gym leader complains about people who say flying type are weak to electric type because it's putting down flying type Pokemon, and then the battle just confirms that typing does matter when Chikorita loses quickly to Hoothoot and when Pikachu takes out Hoothoot and Dodrio with his thunderbolts.

Oh yeah, at the beginning of the episode, Ash talks to the gym leader about how how he used to have a Pidgeot, and how he will definitely see it again someday. STFU ASH

oh man,Pokemon fan theories,they never ceases to amaze me (sorry for the long post.)

Reading that reminded me of my brother and his theories he would come up with when he was high and drunk.

You had the right idea but wrong method.

You never put the Pokémon you want to keep on GTS.

You put a trash Pokémon like Bidoof or Ratata and ask for your Seadra while adding in its level range, Gender, and something in te message box like "Yo,Bro" so that you know it's you and trade your Pokémon you want to keep so that you know you won't lose it.

Kyzer

Banned
I got all worked up reading that theory ready to correct a bunch of things and then I got to the end and realized there is no reason to worry

KingDirk

Nintendo direct for the 3ds September 1st. Maybe we get new sun/moon info?

Ash Greninja reveal please.

I imagine we may get a recap of some previously released information if anything, maybe a bit more elaboration on social features. If they do reveal anything I could see it being Ash Greninja as a slightly more mainstream surprise, unless there somehow still is a synchro element and then they may want to save that until later.

This is all just baseless gut feeling though.

I imagine we may get a recap of some previously released information if anything, maybe a bit more elaboration on social features. If they do reveal anything I could see it being Ash Greninja as a slightly more mainstream surprise, unless there somehow still is a synchro element and then they may want to save that until later.

This is all just baseless gut feeling though.
I'd be perfectly fine with your gut feeling lol.

Kyzer

Banned
yeah I feel like we might not get much but then again part of me is saying this is actually the perfect time for a huge announcement for sun/moon. it is gonna be nx season soon

Reading that reminded me of my brother and his theories he would come up with when he was high and drunk.

You had the right idea but wrong method.

You never put the Pokémon you want to keep on GTS.

You put a trash Pokémon like Bidoof or Ratata and ask for your Seadra while adding in its level range, Gender, and something in te message box like "Yo,Bro" so that you know it's you and trade your Pokémon you want to keep so that you know you won't lose it.

This is true, and I realized that in the end. I was more surprised at the speed rather than the trade itself, because I often offer Hidden Ability Pokémon (making sure to mention it in the message box) for just regular ones and it usually takes a little time, like 10 minutes. I'm not too mad about it all, I'm not really a competitive player, so it wasn't perfect, but I did nickname it and bonded a little. I also already had two Terrakion from Black, now I have three and I didn't even catch the one in Omega Ruby yet.

The whole post was a testament to how fast and useful the GTS can be.

KingDirk

Yeah, definitely happy with my Hyper Voice Pixilate Sylveon. Anyone with even a remote competitive inclination should look into ORAS over XY.

RNG needs to give me my Golden Goomy already so I can level up and dick around with some of my babies. Only problem I realize is the Pokémon I love almost always focus on special attack/special defense, which isn't great for balance.

So, after having only ever really played the first gen (I vaguely remember gen 2 but never really got into it) I kinda really want to start getting back into pokemon again because my nephew started playing Pokemon Y and Go recently and also I'm bored.
I loved gen 1. I remember being really impressed with myself when I knew every Pokemon by name and type back then.

Problem is, I'm not sure if I want to start with X or Alpha Sapphire. I'm pretty sure I'll play both eventually so I bought both.
I guess it's a better idea to start with X and then transfer stuff over from there when I'm done with it, as it's the older game?

Also, back in the day I set out the goal to get all of the eeveelutions, of which there were a lot less, but I never got around to doing it so I figured I'd try doing that again.
Which of these two games would make that goal the easiest to complete?
Help me GAF.

Oh and what's this 'mystery gift' thing?

KingDirk

Also, back in the day I set out the goal to get all of the eeveelutions, of which there were a lot less, but I never got around to doing it so I figured I'd try doing that again.
Which of these two games would make that goal the easiest to complete?
Help me GAF.

Fairly easy in either, probably sightly easier in X/Y. They can be found in tall grass in either game but have to be "unlocked" in ORAS. Assuming I remember correctly.

So can we go ahead and get some Direct Hype™ in here?

Surely they'll have something significant for SM on Thursday. It's a new month, probably one of the last few 3DS Directs, and the NX is IMPENDING.

Probably some new mon, which is cool, but I want to see if they have any other gameplay mechanics to discuss.

Gengahrrr

Also, I always thought gen 3 protag had white hair while wearing a bandana but he's actually wearing some kind of trashbag:

What the hell Game Freak?

Protip: all protags, both male and female, have always worn some form of hat

The R/S/E male always had black hair visible in his back sprite, plus neither of his parents have white hair.

The R/S/E male always had black hair visible in his back sprite, plus neither of his parents have white hair.
Yeah, but it's hard to see in RS on the original GBA because the black headband blends with the hair. The green headband in Emerald makes it easier to see, though.

WPS

There is one piece of official art where they messed up and he has white hair though.

The Ignorance is Blissey episode probably lands as one of my favorites of the series so far. Blissey clumsily launching her accidental onslaught on Ash was hilarious.

The shocking reveal that Jessie was old friends with the Blissey.

The heartfelt backstory about their plight to become a pokemon nurse.

The Blissey giving Jessie food from the Pokemon center because she was hungry.

Blissey gettin caught red-handed.

Jessie deciding to come back so they can get Blissey out of trouble by causing them to think they tricked Blissey into giving the food to them.

Ash getting the maddest I've ever seen him get.
because he was hungry af

Blissey unaware of Jessie's plan. Jessie worried that Blissey's cover will be blown if they figure out they're friends.

Jessie trying to make things look convincing.

Oops, not that convincing tho.

Blissey is still determined :eek:

Then Team Rocket avert the situation by trying to capture Pikachu yadayada yada, and eventually, Blissey gets the message.

Quality episode.

Would Ghost types be op if they were immune to contact moves instead of normal and fighting?

I am going to say yes, since they would outright shut down alot of physical attackers. Moves like Aqua Tail, Wild Charge, Outrage or even Sucker Punch would be useless against Ghosts. People will use Ghosts more and the physical attacking Pokémon may not get used at all, which would make people focus only on special attacks.

Kyzer

Banned
today it really sunk in that were gonna get DP remakes in HD on Nx

and then it sunk in that we might get BW remakes in HD on Nx as well

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
today it really sunk in that were gonna get DP remakes in HD on Nx

and then it sunk in that we might get BW remakes in HD on Nx as well
They clearly had to wait until they could show off god in his full glory.

Also HD remakes of bw with the story fleshed out a tiny bit more would be amazing

Top Bottom