• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Kyzer

Banned
NO

NEVER

Spoiler: You don't actually want this.

my favorite part of the community cycle lol

why doesnt he want a pokemon mmo? tell us what the pokemon mmo would be like and how you know this, and dont say cuz youre part psychic type! and what makes pokemon, a game thats already a turn based RPG, harder to translate to an MMO format than, say, Warcraft, which was already a multiplayer based, online game, and wasnt even an RPG?

the fact that there are millions of people playing fan made pokemon mmos just to be able to run around in the same world with each other should tell you something about how people do actually want it. and no, Pokemon is not already basically an MMO. not even close.

L.O.R.D

LUgANDc.png

it will be really huge plot twist if he was the real leader of team skull.

Getting my seven year old her first Pokemon game this Christmas. She likes Fennekin so I have one in my bank I'm saving for her to bring over to moon.

Wiseblade

my favorite part of the community cycle lol

why doesnt he want a pokemon mmo? tell us what the pokemon mmo would be like and how you know this, and dont say cuz youre part psychic type! and what makes pokemon, a game thats already a turn based RPG, harder to translate to an MMO format than, say, Warcraft, which was already a multiplayer based, online game, and wasnt even an RPG?

the fact that there are millions of people playing fan made pokemon mmos just to be able to run around in the same world with each other should tell you something about how people do actually want it. and no, Pokemon is not already basically an MMO. not even close.

As you said, we've done this dance multiple times before. You and I in particular. But for the sake of argument, I throw out some bullet points:

1) Pokémon as a franchise is fundamentally built around portability. The physical act of gathering together and playing is something that Game Freak and the Pokémon Company value to a strong degree. The stereotypical vision of an MMO runs in direct contrast to this, with people staying home to gather in the game world.

2) The primary audience for Pokémon are terrible choices for a subscription service. A Free-to-play model isn't ideal either and seems to be something that Game Freak shy away from even if TPC are more willing to experiment. The current framework of the games doesn't really support the models either and would likely need to be reworked to accommodate in ways that could compromise the local multiplayer element.

3) Generation VI is already effectively and instanced online multiplayer game. With a bit of work, the Secret Bases of ORAS could even be expanded into player run Gyms. At that point, what else would you want to see that cannot be achieved under the current framework?

I could probably come up with more, but three points enough to say I sufficiently defended my statement.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just burst out laughing when I saw Boss Doggie's new avatar.

LUgANDc.png

it will be really huge plot twist if he was the real leader of team skull.

Ehhh, I say it would be very boring and unoriginal.

Speaking of Team Rocket is there any evidence that they are responsible for the creation of Mewtwo in the main series game?

Busaiku

I don't understand what people mean by Pokemon MMO anymore.
The online features of the main games and Pokémon Go are you interacting with tons of people.

What the heck does MMO mean then?

Kyzer

Banned
As you said, we've done this dance multiple times before. You and I in particular. But for the sake of argument, I throw out some bullet points:

1) Pokémon as a franchise is fundamentally built around portability. The physical act of gathering together and playing is something that Game Freak and the Pokémon Company value to a strong degree. The stereotypical vision of an MMO runs in direct contrast to this, with people staying home to gather in the game world.

2) The primary audience for Pokémon are terrible choices for a subscription service. A Free-to-play model isn't ideal either and seems to be something that Game Freak shy away from even if TPC are more willing to experiment. The current framework of the games doesn't really support the models either and would likely need to be reworked to accommodate in ways that could compromise the local multiplayer element.

3) Generation VI is already effectively and instanced online multiplayer game. With a bit of work, the Secret Bases of ORAS could even be expanded into player run Gyms. At that point, what else would you want to see that cannot be achieved under the current framework?

I could probably come up with more, but three points enough to say I sufficiently defended my statement.

All your points are valid for making the main series into an MMO but if it were made properly it would be another thing, IMO. The main series is portable. I would never want an MMO to replace the main series. I would want something supplement, a la FFXI/XIV. Your second point probably holds the most weight in my eyes, I've never really thought about that. But maybe they could pull something off like Guild Wars ? I think that was free, you just buy the games

As for likening what we have now to an MMO, its simply not true. If you don't understand why people would want an MMO that might be why. Its just not the same thing. The closest thing to MMO in Pokemon would be entralink and even thats not really that close. An MMO is a seamless open world where everyone can quest together and team up, battle, have a player economy, and a bunch of other things, and the game is built around that. Player run gyms could be just a small feature in a player owned house (secret base) in the MMO world. Its just a separate kind of experience, it wouldnt work with the way the game is now with 8 gyms and a 100 level curve. IF they decided to apply the same structure to an MMO somehow, it would have to stretch 8 gyms into a 80-100 hour experience and totally restructure it to be built around quests and experience, instead of just the one main story. Like lots of pyukumuku throwing. That was very MMOish haha. Of course, all of this could also be thrown out the window and they could not stick to MMO tropes at all and just do it totally different.

Anyways, as MMOish as not only this, but most games are becoming nowadays, its still not the same. Pokemon has some multiplayer features that are better and more fleshed out than MMOs bother to be for sure, but it would be totally different to play a Pokemon game from beginning to "end" designed as an MMO.

All of this being said, too, I would be satisfied and not need/want a Pokemon MMO if they really created a meaty co op experience, instanced or not. They should just add some kind of RNG bottomless dungeon thing where you can co op with friends and get lots of loot and experience together.

It would also be amazing if money had value and they added crafting somehow, like maybe you can specialize in different skills "Gathering" (find rare berries, stones) , "Crafting" (decorations, useful objects), "Cook" (rare candies, juices) "Fishing" and add some kind of auction house...lol but thats probably just me

The online features of the main games and Pokémon Go are you interacting with tons of people.

The lines do get blurry. This is basically the crux of understanding the concept. A multiplayer online game is not necessarily an MMO. An MMO is literally designed to be played simultaneously in one game world with massive amounts of people with you along the way. For example, Call of Duty has "quests", rewards, loot, experience, leveling, and is a multiplayer focused game and is played my massive amounts of people. But its not an MMOFPS. Monster Hunter has all the markings of an MMO, even partying up to quest and take down bosses. But its still not an MMO. A Monster Hunter MMO is one where all the players share a world/story/experience, and play together in a seamless cohesive world that persists even when no one is playing.

They want to play the anime, ignoring that what they want is pretty much unattainable for a game designer for a large number of reasons

Wiseblade

OK, so I need to get rid of some breeding rejects and figured I might as well offer them up here before throwing them into the Wonder Trade abyss. I've got:

12 × Skrelp: Modest, HA(Adaptability), 5IV, egg move(Toxic Spikes)

8 x Croagunk: Jolly, 5IV, egg move(Drain Punch)

2 x Zorua: Timid, 5IV

7 x Goomy: Modest, 5IV

1 x Eevee: Calm, 6IV

1 x Staryu: Modest, 6IV

2 x Staryu: Timid, 5IV

13 x Sneasel: Jolly, 5IV, egg move(Fake Out, Icicle Crash)

Not really looking for anything in return, but I'd definitely appreciate anything with a hidden ability. Or a Diancie.

OK, so I need to get rid of some breeding rejects and figured I might as well offer them up here before throwing them into the Wonder Trade abyss. I've got:

Not really looking for anything in return, but I'd definitely appreciate anything with a hidden ability. Or a Diancie.

I'll take the Eevee and I have a spare Diancie. I don't know it's nature and it's IV. interested?

Macka

Does anyone have a Pokemon with every Ribbon possible? It would have to come from Colosseum or XD as there's a couple of exclusive ones from there. I'm tempted to try it at some point, as I've missed having something to work towards since finishing the National Dex. It would be a hell of a lot of work though, as you'd have to complete all of the contests in Gen III and IV.

The highest amount of Ribbons I have on a single Pokemon is 7 at the moment, which is actually my starter Blaziken from the original Ruby. Damn, he's over 13 years old lol. That's crazy. What's the oldest Pokemon everyone else has?

Jay RaR

I'm interested in Skrelp, Croagunk, and Sneasel. Need any specific pokes with HAs in mind? I've got HAs for most of the starters and several popular competitive pokes.

Speaking of Team Rocket is there any evidence that they are responsible for the creation of Mewtwo in the main series game?

Don't think so. At most, Blaine might have helped Fuji since it's heavily hinted that he worked in the Cinnabar Mansion lab as well, based on the Fame Checker and the gym key being inside the mansion.

Wiseblade

Does anyone have a Pokemon with every Ribbon possible? It would have to come from Colosseum or XD as there's a couple of exclusive ones from there. I'm tempted to try it at some point, as I've missed having something to work towards since finishing the National Dex. It would be a hell of a lot of work though, as you'd have to complete all of the contests in Gen III and IV.

The highest amount of Ribbons I have on a single Pokemon is 7 at the moment, which is actually my starter Blaziken from the original Ruby. Damn, he's over 13 years old lol. That's crazy. What's the oldest Pokemon everyone else has?
oldest Pokémon have to be the ones transferred from Emerald, some of them will be 11 years old now. The most ribbons probably belong to a Blaziken from Emerald that happens to be the first Pokémon I ever EV Trained. That thing must have over a dozen ribbons.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Check your PMS!

I see it's that time of the month. ;p

Don't think so. At most, Blaine might have helped Fuji since it's heavily hinted that he worked in the Cinnabar Mansion lab as well, based on the Fame Checker and the gym key beeing inside the mansion.

Hmm I suspected as much, then I guess it was the animé and the Pokémon Adventure Manga that took that route.

Well, The Pokemon Company finally released a subbed version of that Japanese Sun/Moon commercial from way back. I don't know why it took them nearly four months to dub it though.

https://youtu.be/pKieqhDHDq4

Better late than never I guess.

Hmm itune, I don't have an idevice.

Oh well guess I am listening to be on youtube then.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh also forgot to mention that I started my FireRed run and man I had forgotten how hand holdly they were even going so far to adding L+R help mode, which thankfully you can disable.

Still sucks that you don't get the running shoe till after the first gym because..."nostalgia". ¬_¬;

On the bright side I really like the text front, makes it snappy and easy to read.

Random note but man Empoleon has such an awesome design.

Yeah he does, in fact all the Sinnoh starter have great design.

Moelman

Neo Member
I bought a Japanese copy of HeartGold and seem to have hit the jackpot from the previous person's save file. Endgame, has all legendaries including events and shiny Deoxys and Lugia. What is the best way to tell if they are legit? Just try to transfer to Pokemon bank and see if they are accepted? Almost feels wrong to wipe this savegame, but that was the reason to buy it, so I didn't have to wipe my SoulSilver.

Oh, is that what this "Never Bet On Ash" stuff is about, people making bets? I thought some people were just being snide about Ash losing the League. But if people made avatar bets, then this is actually funny.
There was a giant avatar bet on whether or not Ash would win.

It's clear what the result was.

You should see the Ash losing topic.
Like there are pages where like 1/2 the people are all on Team Loser.

There was a giant avatar bet on whether or not Ash would win.

It's clear what the result was.

That is pretty funny, out of curiosity, what would be the avatar if Ash had won?

I bought a Japanese copy of HeartGold and seem to have hit the jackpot from the previous person's save file. Endgame, has all legendaries including events and shiny Deoxys and Lugia. What is the best way to tell if they are legit? Just try to transfer to Pokemon bank and see if they are accepted? Almost feels wrong to wipe this savegame, but that was the reason to buy it, so I didn't have to wipe my SoulSilver.

Yes, if the Pokémon are legitimate they should transfer, but you could always check their moves and where they are caught and at what level to see if any of those things would be impossible. A shiny Deoxys and Lugia should be possible, but Deoxys was an event Legendary in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Firered/Leafgreen. It had to be transfered from those games at some point.

Can I have a Goomy?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
9ad.jpg

this shot is funny because it makes it look like Ash owns Charizard X lol

also it makes me wonder - they haven't made an Alolan variant of a pokemon that can mega evolve right

Wiseblade

thanks for the pokes wiseblade!
No problem.

Since it's clear nobody wants the Zoruas or Staryus, I Wonder Traded them away. But I'll keep a few of the others until Monday.

I'll definitely do this again if I build up another large collection of breeding rejects.

The scaling in that shot is really weird. Charizard, Goodra and Noivern are huge.

Also, the rumour with Alolan Alakazam is questionable. There's no way to tell if the posts were from the same user and it's gotten multiple types incorrect. Not to mention that regular Arcanine is found in Alola, which doesn't directly debunk it, but it seems to be the trend so far.

Top Bottom