• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Re: HGSS

I'm just gonna say that I think they're unbelievably overrated. Level curve is still bad, still stupid hard to get certain Pokemon in actual Johto (why the fuck can I not catch Houndour until Kanto), and still isn't a whole lot going on. Pokeathelon is fun for a little but grinding it for points is awful. I don't remember if it has Battle Frontier, but if so I guess that's a plus. I've played through them each a couple of times very recently trying to pinpoint why I don't adore them like everyone else does.

Overall they're just pretty meh to me. Pokemon following you in the overworld is pretty great, but it's a minor feature and it hardly brings up the otherwise very average quality of the game imo. Gen II doesn't have my favorite designs, but maybe that would make me enjoy it more? Like I said though, wild Pokemon distribution is kind of shit so maybe not.

Oh, and the RNG is literally some of the worst shit I've ever experienced in a game ever. Irredeemably bad. Flinching six times in a row in an NPC battle and ALWAYS getting stat conditions from opponents' secondary effects is fucking annoying, and so is sleeping or being confused for more than three turns. I thought it was all a fluke my first time through but nope it's built that way.

Overall I do enjoy them, and by virtue of the shit RNG and level curve the game can be pretty tough, which is a nice change I guess (or it would be if the difficulty were genuine). They're very pretty games and I'll definitely play them again at some point, but I can't help but feel they're really overrated.

Question I'm gonna get my 7 year old some Pokemon games for Christmas. Moon and one of the mystery dungeon games. Do the Pokemon evolve in the dungeon series? She likes fennekin and Greninja which dungeon game would have them?

Question I'm gonna get my 7 year old some Pokemon games for Christmas. Moon and one of the mystery dungeon games. Do the Pokemon evolve in the dungeon series? She likes fennekin and Greninja which dungeon game would have them?

IDK about the latest ones, but I recall that in the first one that you couldn't actually evolve until you beat the game.

Chase17

Super Mystery Dungeon is the only one with gen 6 pokemon. And the Pokémon stay as starters until the post game.

SMD Spoilers
Although there are a couple occasions where you evolve until the final form, skipping the mid evolution, although after the battle you revert back to being a starter.

Buying any old game for essentially double the price is definitely not worth it.

I'm just gonna say that I think they're unbelievably overrated. Level curve is still bad, still stupid hard to get certain Pokemon in actual Johto (why the fuck can I not catch Houndour until Kanto), and still isn't a whole lot going on. Pokeathelon is fun for a little but grinding it for points is awful. I don't remember if it has Battle Frontier, but if so I guess that's a plus. I've played through them each a couple of times very recently trying to pinpoint why I don't adore them like everyone else does.

Overall they're just pretty meh to me. Pokemon following you in the overworld is pretty great, but it's a minor feature and it hardly brings up the otherwise very average quality of the game imo. Gen II doesn't have my favorite designs, but maybe that would make me enjoy it more? Like I said though, wild Pokemon distribution is kind of shit so maybe not.

Oh, and the RNG is literally some of the worst shit I've ever experienced in a game ever. Irredeemably bad. Flinching six times in a row in an NPC battle and ALWAYS getting stat conditions from opponents' secondary effects is fucking annoying, and so is sleeping or being confused for more than three turns. I thought it was all a fluke my first time through but nope it's built that way.

Overall I do enjoy them, and by virtue of the shit RNG and level curve the game can be pretty tough, which is a nice change I guess (or it would be if the difficulty were genuine). They're very pretty games and I'll definitely play them again at some point, but I can't help but feel they're really overrated.

Make sure to never post this on the main forum, or else it might turn out like Wiseblade's old thread lol. Although, the person who ruined that thread with their "rebuttal" is banned now, so it might not be too bad.

IDK about the latest ones, but I recall that in the first one that you couldn't actually evolve until you beat the game.

Super Mystery Dungeon is the only one with gen 6 pokemon. And the Pokémon stay as starters until the post game.

SMD Spoilers
Although there are a couple occasions where you evolve until the final form, skipping the mid evolution, although after the battle you revert back to being a starter.
Thanks is the post game any good?

Bubble

Neo Member
HG/SS are the overrated mainline Pokemon games. Still a good game though, but Platnium still remains the best Pokemon of all time. Great region, fun story (Distortion World is still really cool), Battle Frontier, post-game story that isn't shit (XY) and good selection of Pokemon.

As for reasons why HG/SS are the most overrated games, here are a few reasons: Level-scaling is really poor , the Johto Pokemon are nowhere to be found (who the hell thought it was smart to put all the Johto Pokemon in Kanto?) and by adding Kanto as a second region actually makes Johto very under-developed. It also doesn't help that Kanto itself is actually really boring. Very plain and they somehow made Kanto even more boring the sequels.

Oh, and I will never understand why people always shout that they want Pokemon following you when GF took away one of the best features, ever from Platinum (the Vs. Seeker) and put back in that terrible, god-awful PokeGear. And also, it felt like HG/SS had a ton of features that relied on time. Like, be at this location at 5 PM at Tuesday, unless you want to wait a week for your next opportunity. So dumb.

Wiseblade

Make sure to never post this on the main forum, or else it might turn out like Wiseblade's old thread lol. Although, the person who ruined that thread with their "rebuttal" is banned now, so it might not be too bad.
Every day I think about trying again. The world needs to accept that GSC are the worst mainline Pokémon games!

On the whole Gen II ranks next to last for me when ranking generations, but I still really like it.

But when people ask "which Pokemon game should I play" and people all say "HGSS" I scratch my head because it just doesn't stand out to me at all.

Currently replaying through Black tho and reminding myself why I love Gen V so much.

Wiseblade

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. HGSS aren't bad though, they just suffer problems from being remakes of the worst generation. The disappointing monster diversity and pedestrian challenge are symptoms of the original that GF's drive for accuracy make unavoidable.

At least Kanto isn't a disgrace in HGSS.

Hydrus

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. HGSS aren't bad though, they just suffer problems from being remakes of the worst generation. The disappointing monster diversity and pedestrian challenge are symptoms of the original that GF's drive for accuracy make unavoidable.

LOL

Kyzer

Banned
HGSS is top tier for charm, comfiness and nostalgia. If you don't feel nostalgia for the RBY/GSC era of Pokemon, I always say it's not a good recommendation to people honestly. Its one of my favorite games of all time but I know better. I think RBY aged better as a gameplay experience. I think those games are a legit old school rpg experience, despite technical glitches. I need GSC on VC bad

Hydrus

He's not entirely wrong

He's mostly wrong. I cant take a post like that serious, when Gen 3 and Gen 6 exist. Not even remaking Ruby and Sapphire made it better. Want to talk about a pedestrian challenge? Just play X Y, the easiest games in the series and possibly the easiest rpgs ever made. Gamefreak seemed to bail the fuck out of Gen 6 and is already trying to forget it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly Johto biggest problem is that it has Kanto weighting it down as instead of being a brand new region it's acted purely as an expansion of Kanto and as a result struggles to shine.

In fact gen 2 to date is the only game where the regional professor doesn't appear in the introduction nor does he give the player the Pokédex, along being the only generation to share an evil team with a previous Generation.

It also doesn't help that some of the Johto Pokémon aren't that great and wouldn't be till some of them got evolution in gen 4.

In fact if we compare Johto with Sinnoh, Sinnoh is able to stand out better due to not being tied to an old region thus doesn't act like and expansion region.

Basically Gold and Silver just comes off more as Red and Blue 2 and I am glad that with gen 3 onward Game Freak opted to flesh out the region and not have them beholden to a past region....till Kalos came along.

Which is why I am interested to see how Sun and Moon will play out as it's clear that it will be finishing gen 6 story while at the same time setting up a new generation.

Agreed and it baffles me that whenever a newcomer into the series ask what game they should start with everyone always jumps to either the original gen 1 game, which is an terrible idea or the Johto which is again a terrible idea.

The correct answer should always be "Try the latest game in the series as you don't really to play the previous generation but if after you finish playing the latest game then work your way backward."

Ehhh debatable, Kanto may be restored to its original format but there's still nothing to do story wise other than battling the gym leaders

It also annoys me that Johto only got 1 new route added when the Kanto remake had tiny Islands

HGSS is top tier for charm, comfiness and nostalgia. If you don't feel nostalgia for the RBY/GSC era of Pokemon, I always say it's not a good recommendation to people honestly. Its one of my favorite games of all time but I know better. I think RBY aged better as a gameplay experience. I think those games are a legit old school rpg experience, despite technical glitches. I need GSC on VC bad

I won't deny that I don't have nostalgia for the gen 1 and gen 2 but at the same time I don't let that blind me and I try to remain super critical of them because they are far from perfect games.

This also applies to all generation as they all have their strengths and flaws, though some have more flaws than other. *coughsGen6coughts*

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You'll find me funny, but I think GSC was "better" than HG/SS in a sense. GSC had no "remake" baggage, as it was simply just a sequel.

HG/SS though has it. And sadly only few people use it as criticism. While I'm glad they altered the dex to accommodate the new evolutions in Gen IV (unlike FR/LG), they still didn't fix mon distributions, trainer distributions, and the general balance of the game.

First was the trademark. I count it

oh right, the legendaries and starter trademarks

He's mostly wrong. I cant take a post like that serious, when Gen 3 and Gen 6 exist. Not even remaking Ruby and Sapphire made it better. Want to talk about a pedestrian challenge? Just play X Y, the easiest games in the series and possibly the easiest rpgs ever made. Gamefreak seemed to bail the fuck out of Gen 6 and is already trying to forget it.

Gen 3 and Gen 6 are better than gen 2 by a mile. Gen 2 had a number of fucking insane and nonsensical design choices and really didn't stand on its own at all

Nightbird

Does anyone have Tipps on how to breed for a specific hidden power?

I've been trying to get an HP Fire Snivy for the past two days, but I'm not successful at all :/

Wiseblade

You're crazy, Gen III is the second best generation. Emerald is the single best Pokémon game, with only BW2 and Platinum coming anywhere close to overtaking it.

And XY is still more of a challenge than GSC. But the biggest joke is that Kalos has a better distribution of new Pokémon than Johto.

JoeM86

Gen 2, and HGSS have so many glaring issues it always makes me question why people consider it the best.

I also always question people saying XY are the easiest games when you can coast through Gens 1 & 2 being ridiculously underlevelled

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Because apparently the glaring issues didn't bother them for some odd reason. Basically, "this flaw doesn't count!"

Zalman

Gen 2, and HGSS have so many glaring issues it always makes me question why people consider it the best.

I also always question people saying XY are the easiest games when you can coast through Gens 1 & 2 being ridiculously underlevelled
Fully agree. Especially in the Gen 2 games (including the remakes) I feel like I'm constantly overleveled. For some reason people never question the difficulty in those games while XY gets a hard time. XY is in my opinion completely underrated.

JoeM86

Fully agree. Especially in the Gen 2 games (including the remakes) I feel like I'm constantly overleveled. For some reason people never question the difficulty in those games while XY gets a hard time. XY is in my opinion completely underrated.

Agreed. XY are my favourite games and I've been with this from the beginning.

Wiseblade

I KNOW RIGHT

I think I beat Gold with a Level 50 Meganium as my highest level Pokémon. It's a joke.
Agreed. XY are my favourite games and I've been with this from the beginning.
YOU'RE CRAZY

Sandfox

That probably has to do with a combination of people not being as "good" when those games came out, gym leaders and elite 4 having less Pokemon, no rematches, and XY making you overleveled rather than underleveled.

Wiseblade

I wish there was a competitive battling thread. I decided to build a couple OU singles teams (because VGC 2016 looks like the least fun ever) but screw going on Smogon or somewhere like GameFAQs for feedback.

Kyzer

Banned

Well people like different things for different reasons. I'm not thinking about level curves and Pokemon distribution when I'm playing games. I don't rank my favorite games based on their design choices and level design. I just have fun with them. I think for me it's about the world, exploration ,escapism. Gen 6 is my favorite gen for playability but the story is completely lackluster in XY so if I wasn't able to immerse myself as a total fanboy who enjoys every battle and raising my pokemon I could see it being a slog.

And I dont understand what you mean when you question people saying XY was the easiest? The other games being easy don't make XY any less easy...and if you can coast through RBY then by that standard you can coast through any game. gen 1 is easily one of the most challenging. That level 19 raticate...

Wiseblade

Well people like different things for different reasons. I'm not thinking about level curves and Pokemon distribution when I'm playing games. I don't rank my favorite games based on their design choices and level design. I just have fun with them. I think for me it's about the world, exploration ,escapism.

But Johto sucks at that too! The best regions for that are Hoenn (which stretches on forever) or Unova (where every route is secretly twice as big as it first appears to be).

Kyzer

Banned
But Johto sucks at that too! The best regions for that are Hoenn (which stretches on forever) or Unova (where every route is secretly twice as big as it first appears to be).

Eh, not for me because Hoenn has a lack of Pokemon I enjoy using (although I guess johto being kanto pt.2 worked out for me in this regard, gen 2 is actually the worst for this) along with, imo, the most boring stretch of any Pokemon game from lilycove to the elite 4. Stretches on forever in a bad way.

Unova is cool but not comfy to me in any way. Barely felt like Pokemon at the time. Music, graphics, atmosphere was too different. I think that also put me off cuz I was worried they were changing the direction of Pokemon but looking back they were just diversifying which is good.

Meanwhile GSC sends me back to being like 8 years old, and has that cool fall vibe. Its just always gonna be super comfy to me. I spent years waiting for them, looking at screenshots, I remember I started a new game in blue version and named the charmander cyndaquil, i think it's the first time I was excited for an upcoming video game and quite literally the birth of me as a gamer. So playing through it was bliss.

So yeah I'm totally blinded by nostalgia and I love it I guess. All that being said I love every single entry . Pokemon has yet to let me down as a game. To me BW were the only ones that didn't strike that chord with my inner soul, and it was a little scary, but I still loved a lot about them. Gen 6 resparked my love for the series, which is perfect because I was in danger of losing interest. I need dat charm.

Kyzer

Banned
So uh...

Gen 8 is gonna be crazy.

Things I see them laying the groundwork for in gen 7:

Consistent 3D overworld, everything to scale
Pokemon overworld animations and personalities (pokemon snap locations)
Pokemon in the overworld everywhere
Rideable pokemon

Im gonna cry

I need seamless/fast battle transitions

spiritfox

ohmori.jpg

Is it me or does Ohmori kinda looks like Kojima

GoldStarz

I just realized, accounting for new Pokemon we know exist but haven't been officially released yet (evos, the other Tapus, Marshadow, Alola Persian), we're only an announcement or two away from officially beating out Gen VI's new Pokemon numbers. If you count forms (that are more than cosmetic) then I'm pretty sure that it already has.

GoldStarz

why are you counting alolan forms but not megas

Megas and Alola Forms are apples and oranges. Megas are only temporary and can't be seen outside of battle, while Alola Forms are omnipresent. Asking why I'm counting Alola Forms over Megas is like asking why a form change doesn't get a Dex entry.

Top Bottom