• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

9ad.jpg

this shot is funny because it makes it look like Ash owns Charizard X lol

also it makes me wonder - they haven't made an Alolan variant of a pokemon that can mega evolve right
Oh cool, 3 of my favorite Pokémon in one pic with what would've been a great view if Greninja and the trainers weren't blocking shit.

God fucking dammit.

Noivern is a lot bigger than I thought.
It's standing up straight-ish here. I believe its standard 4'11" measurement is from feet to top of head (not counting ears) while flying, where it leans forward a lot.

But who knows really Pokemon measurements are fucking weird and the anime has never really given a shit either tbh. Hopefully SM will clear things up.

Daemul

I've always taken the measurements in the Pokedex as the average height of a species, some will be bigger and some will be smaller.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
New player...second trip ever to try pokego at Central Park. Got a Lapras and a Blastoise...did not realize it was a stampede through the park lol.
Snorlax too!

ciD_Vain

Hopefully someone can answer my question:

I was trying to spread Pokerus to my Kangaskhan by fleeing from battles to prepare for EV training. After a few battles, a shiny Woobat appeared! Sweet! So I threw a quick ball at it and caught it! However...I completely forgot EXP share was on and my Kanga earned EXP (and thus an EV point). Luckily it was a speed point. After the battle, I noticed Kanga contracted Pokerus. So now normally Kanga would earn 5 Speed EVs (she was holding the Power Anklet as well) but did she actually earn 10 because it got Pokerus that battle? Or was it only 5 and starts to double only from this point forward?

I was trying to spread Pokerus to my Kangaskhan by fleeing from battles to prepare for EV training. After a few battles, a shiny Woobat appeared! Sweet! So I threw a quick ball at it and caught it! However...I completely forgot EXP share was on and my Kanga earned EXP (and thus an EV point). Luckily it was a speed point. After the battle, I noticed Kanga contracted Pokerus. So now normally Kanga would earn 5 Speed EVs (she was holding the Power Anklet as well) but did she actually earn 10 because it got Pokerus that battle? Or was it only 5 and starts to double only from this point forward?
I don't actually know, but either way you should just be able to clear 5 or 10 with a Tamato Berry if it bothers you that much. If you're training in speed anyway it's just one less fight of the 6 against hordes you have to do (50 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 2).

Wiseblade

I'm not sure. Whenever I EV train, I keep Exp share off until the Pokémon I'm training has caught Pokérus. I would imagine that battle only provided 5EVs.

Hey guys, had a serious itch for pokemon for the last year or two, finally decided to pick up a 3DS on my next pay day and scratch the itch.

I used to be super into pokemon but haven't played since Diamond/Pearl. So I have a few questions, although they might be more 3DS questions than pokemon ones.

Is it essential to get a N3DS over an old 3DS? Especially with Sun and Moon in mind.

3DS has backwards compatibility right? I'd love to play HeartGold too.

I'll be picking up HeartGold, X and OmegaRuby when I buy the 3DS. Are Black and White worth checking out?

Raxious

Hey guys, had a serious itch for pokemon for the last year or two, finally decided to pick up a 3DS on my next pay day and scratch the itch.

I used to be super into pokemon but haven't played since Diamond/Pearl. So I have a few questions, although they might be more 3DS questions than pokemon ones.

Is it essential to get a N3DS over an old 3DS? Especially with Sun and Moon in mind.

I'll be picking up HeartGold, X and OmegaRuby when I buy the 3DS. Are Black and White worth checking out?

So far I don't think that there's any need to get an N3DS over a regular 3DS when it comes to Pokémon. However, if you have the choice I'd just go for the N3DS. It runs a lot of games smoother, it got the second stick and better loading times etc.

Decided to replay pokemon X. Went with Chespin this today and immediately went and caught a Pikachu ^^

Wiseblade

Not at all. As far as I know, Game Freak haven't announced any New 3DS exclusive features in Sun/Moon.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying three Pokémon games in anticipation of a fourth. But if you must, I'd suggest getting Black/White over HeartGold. Migrating Pokémon to successive generations is a largely linear affair; Pokémon caught in HeartGold would be stuck there unless you owned Black/white, so you might as well work your way through linearly.

HeartGold/SoulSilver are also horribly overpriced when it comes to buying used copies, but Black/White/Black2/White2 are pretty reasonable as far as Pokemon games go. I'd say unless you really want to drop the $80 on HG/SS, go with one of the B/W games instead.

But X is a great choice, and OmegaRuby is pretty solid too.

You'll want to download Pokemon Bank and drop the $5 for a year's worth of it so you can move your Pokemon between your games, too.

jnWake

Not really for Pokémon. The games have framerate issues in both versions of the 3DS and the super stable 3D isn't that useful since there's not many 3D stuff in the game (battles are 3D but framerate is low in 3D).

New 3DS is worth it for other games though. The stable 3D is great for games that actually use 3D, there are games with better performance/textures, a few indie exclusives and SNES virtual console.

HeartGold/SoulSilver are also horribly overpriced when it comes to buying used copies, but Black/White/Black2/White2 are pretty reasonable as far as Pokemon games go. I'd say unless you really want to drop the $80 on HG/SS, go with one of the B/W games instead.

You're paying for quality re: HG/SS.

Cheers for the info guys, ill just get a normal 3DS so for now and I can always upgrade later if I'm really enjoying the system and want to branch out with games. Pokemon and the odd rpg is all I'm planning on using it for right now!

I have noticed the high prices on HG/SS alright but I'm willing to pay it. Gold was my favorite when it first came out, need that nostalgia hit!

I'll definitely look into Black and White though as well. It's a lot to take on so many games but ill want to transfer pokemon along as I go so ill make it work. Been a long time since I've played pokemon so I've the appetite!

Cheers for the shout on pokemon bank too!

Is this the thread to discuss the games as I go? I see ORAS have their own thread.

Kyzer

Banned
Cheers for the info guys, ill just get a normal 3DS so for now and I can always upgrade later if I'm really enjoying the system and want to branch out with games. Pokemon and the odd rpg is all I'm planning on using it for right now!

I have noticed the high prices on HG/SS alright but I'm willing to pay it. Gold was my favorite when it first came out, need that nostalgia hit!

I'll definitely look into Black and White though as well. It's a lot to take on so many games but ill want to transfer pokemon along as I go so ill make it work. Been a long time since I've played pokemon so I've the appetite!

Cheers for the shout on pokemon bank too!

Is this the thread to discuss the games as I go? I see ORAS have their own thread.

yeah if you have nostalgia for GSC then I have no qualms recommending it. seriously borderline drug from the nostalgia

Daemul

With the XY anime nearly being over I've started to reflect on what has happened these past 3 years and I'm trying to figure out just what the fuck was the point in having Serena crush on Ash? It literally added nothing to the plot since the two characters involved are too young for anything serious to happen, so the writers had to instead lean constantly on comedic spaghetti moments with Serena blushing and getting embarrassed when it came to Ash and it got real old, real damn fast.

It especially angers me because they went through the trouble of making Serena younger (read:lolifying her) to make her crush on Ash work, but it really wasn't worth it just for that shit. If they really wanted some sort of romance in XY, why didn't they just keep Serena the same age and have her be the big sister of the group whilst having her have a thing for say, I don't know, maybe some dude called Alan instead, atleast then a romance would actually have a chance of going somewhere since it wouldn't involve fucking 10 year olds. And the baggage that could possibly come from giving Ash a permanent LI wouldn't be an issue with Alan since he would stay in Kalos with Serena anyway when the series is over whilst Ash carries on.

And now I'm imaging a scenario where older Serena discovers her boo Alan's (unwitting) role in the Flare plot and the drama that could unfold from that. What fucking wasted potential.

I think the only Pokemon games that are worse than HGSS to replay right now are Diamond and Pearl. X and Y will probably be around there too once Sun and Moon come out truth be told.

Busaiku

Wait did Pokémon USA cut the Wulfric training, or is that after Ash gets his badge.
Also, it took 3 episodes for Ash to get this badge, yet the entire journey to and completion of the league is like 9 episodes? The pacing has been so off .

Just saw that they now have lime green N3DSLL here in Japan. They have been around for awhile I guess but I just noticed it. Think I'll be grabbing one when the new games drop in a few months. $$$

Hypnotoad

So I have looked into breeding, and using a Ditto with good IVs and nature instead of a random one is pretty much a must, right?

I am not planning on doing perfect IVs, but to get at least some respectable results out of it.

Wiseblade

So I have looked into breeding, and using a Ditto with good IVs and nature instead of a random one is pretty much a must, right?

I am not planning on doing perfect IVs, but to get at least some respectable results out of it.
The ideal breeding setup is:

* a Living Pokédex

* a Ditto with perfect IVs.

* a Ditto for the 20 competitive natures.

I think there's a subreddit committed to giving out perfect IV Ditto and there's someone on GAF who might be able to offer you one. Alternatively, you can find someone with a Friend Safari containing Ditto and substitute one perfect Ditto for multiple good ones.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wait did Pokémon USA cut the Wulfric training, or is that after Ash gets his badge.
Also, it took 3 episodes for Ash to get this badge, yet the entire journey to and completion of the league is like 9 episodes? The pacing has been so off .

It was one of those post-episode "Poke-TV" segments, the dub never airs those as far as I know---unfortunately.

I've grown so accustom to having Pokémon news leak a day to few days early this Gen that I was disappointed when I logged onto Gaf and saw nothing. Lol..

Any rumors on what tomorrow's reveal is supposed to be?

When did news leak after the logos?

I don't know where you're getting at? If you haven't been following how news of videos have been leaking before the video release that GameFreak released the videos ahead of time don't start following now unless you want to get spoiled ofcourse.

RomanceDawn

Does anyone have a quick way of getting that Mirage Ticket to see Mirage Island and catch Crecelia in Alpha Sapphire?

Would it get passed to me if I just traded with someone who has the ticket or something? Like the process to get the Eon Ticket?

JoeM86

Does anyone have a quick way of getting that Mirage Ticket to see Mirage Island and catch Crecelia in Alpha Sapphire?

Would it get passed to me if I just traded with someone who has the ticket or something? Like the process to get the Eon Ticket?

There is no ticket, it's just one of the random islands that comes up

I've grown so accustom to having Pokémon news leak a day to few days early this Gen that I was disappointed when I logged onto Gaf and saw nothing. Lol..

We've had it 3 times out of 13 reveals. It's not exactly worthy of growing accustomed to

We've had it 3 times out of 13 reveals. It's not exactly worthy of growing accustomed to

Feels like more than that to me, not saying you're wrong. I should have included leaks, rumors, and speculation than just leak news on videos. I'm used to seeing alot more chatter this close to new info.

Edit: Seriously 13 videos? Damn.. is that normal to kick off a Gen?

I clearly don't keep track of past news well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
three times?

I only remember two - the one from the russian site which revealed Vikavolt and co., and the one from /vp/ which was Alola Raichu etc.

JoeM86

three times?

I only remember two - the one from the russian site which revealed Vikavolt and co., and the one from /vp/ which was Alola Raichu etc.

First was the trademark. I count it

Feels like more than that to me, not saying you're wrong. I should have included leaks, rumors, and speculation than just leak news on videos. I'm used to seeing alot more chatter this close to new info.

Edit: Seriously 13 videos? Damn.. is that normal to kick off a Gen?

I clearly don't keep track of past news well.

Yeah but those leaks and rumours are almost always complete bull. It's just people are starting to realise it's a waste of time

First was the trademark. I count it

Yeah but those leaks and rumours are almost always complete bull. It's just people are starting to realise it's a waste of time

I understand that completely. My only mistake was not putting "speculations, rumors, and bullshit" instead of "leak news videos". Poor use of words on my part.

I think one of those leaks has gotten quite a bit (kind of) right.

Joe,

When I want cold hard Pokémon facts Serebii and yourself is who I go too. When I want BS I go everywhere else.

My original post was taken more seriously than it was suppose too.

Top Bottom