• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

GoldStarz

Are there really that few ice types?

So many water types. Suppose it makes sense though.

Not necesarily, for the longest time, GameFreak just kinda operated under the idea that "It lives in water = it's typed water" which doesn't make too much sense when you remember that most Pokemon live on the ground but aren't typed ground. Thankfully, they've cut down on the number of water types and have started to move away from that idea.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ice sucks, Gen five gave it a shot in the arm with weather wars, but that got nerfed so it went right back to sucksville

Ice needs to lose one of its weaknesses imo

Gryph

I'm hopping back into this Pocket Monster thing. Going to try and get a living dex done before sun and moon.

Is there a big old Pokemon friend code list somewhere? I want those sweet, sweet friend safaris.

Finally having an active friend list for the new games would be rad...

GoldStarz

Ice sucks, Gen five gave it a shot in the arm with weather wars, but that got nerfed so it went right back to sucksville

Ice needs to lose one of its weaknesses imo

I would say Rock.

Nah, Rock is there because salt, Steel doesn't make much sense though since the cold can actually fuck metals up.

I'd say remove Steel's resistance to and super effectiveness against it, and make water not resist it. Then it still has three weaknesses but has only two types that outright resist it. Of course, a lot of the problem is built into the fact that most ice types don't have good stats to support themselves properly so that's a problem all it's own.

Nah, Rock is there because salt, Steel doesn't make much sense though since the cold can actually fuck metals up.

I'd say remove Steel's resistance to and super effectiveness against it, and make water not resist it. Then it still has three weaknesses but has only two types that outright resist it. Of course, a lot of the problem is built into the fact that most ice types don't have good stats to support themselves properly so that's a problem all it's own.

Keep Steel's resistance. Steel is supposed to be resistant to a bunch of shit, but it also became an amazing offensive typing too.

GoldStarz

Keep Steel's resistance. Steel is supposed to be resistant to a bunch of shit, but it also became an amazing offensive typing too.

Steel doesn't really make much sense for being resistant as-is. Realistically, steel should be weak to both Fire and Ice, but like you said Steel is a defensive type and Ice already has four types it's super effective against, so just remove Steel's resistance. Steel can survive the hit but Ice needs all the help it can get.

Steel doesn't really make much sense for being resistant as-is. Realistically, steel should be weak to both Fire and Ice, but like you said Steel is a defensive type and Ice already has four types it's super effective against, so just remove Steel's resistance. Steel can survive the hit but Ice needs all the help it can get.

Steel can't survive the hit.

If anything, give Steel its Ghost and Dark resists back. We were robbed of a truly god tier Aegislash by GF

/s

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
the more fairies thing comes mostly from retcon typing though

but then again how many are they? snubull line, jigglypuff line, clefairy line, azumarill line, lilligant line... I think I'm missing some?

I guess that could work

GoldStarz

the more fairies thing comes mostly from retcon typing though

but then again how many are they? snubull line, jigglypuff line, clefairy line, azumarill line, lilligant line... I think I'm missing some?

Lilligant didn't get fairy, only Whimsicott's line did.

Also the mimes, Togepi's line, Ralt's line, there's probably more I'm forgetting

Wiseblade

Grass/Fairy Lilligant would have been a pretty fun Sun Sweeper. Growth, Solarbeam, Moonblast and Hidden Power Ground with a Chlorophyll boost would have been a quirky set to play around with.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
fuck, I keep saying 4Ds on it with the idea that it's the fourth show... but then it's the third. GAH!

But yeah despite the motorcycle meme it was still an enjoyable ride.

Chase17

O god I just thought about it.. What if this another kind of reboot like best wishes
I think it probably will be. Although that's a complete guess from one image.

If it's a school setting you kind of have to have one kid who is slow on the uptake, and I could imagine that being Ash.

I think it probably will be. Although that's a complete guess from one image.

If it's a school setting you kind of have to have one kid who is slow on the uptake, and I could imagine that being Ash.
O god no. Go for the confident/over powered transfer student cliche plz!

You're most Likely right. Bets on tapu koko making Pikachu weaker anyone

Chase17

Teacher: "Welcome to the first day, we'll start by taking attendance"

*Ash pulls up Dexter's dictionary function, searches definition of attendance*

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Alain fucked up Ash so hard he literally sent him back to school!

I'm actually going into this with an open mind, not gonna lie my first thought was BEST WISHES 2 but Best Wishes had a solid enough premise, it was the execution that was the issue.

I always enjoyed the rare arcs in Pokemon where the gang hung around a location for awhile, like the pre-Kanto League Pallet Town arc and the summer school arcs in D/P and XY, so a series possibly doing that---though I think we'll see arcs where they leave the school---sounds neat to give it a shot. I think the dynamics to be had with the four Trial Captains (I guess the fire dude's atop Charizard) could lead to some fun, especially if they have unique and competing personalities.

Team Rocket getting Bewear is great. I hope Team Rocket pull a long-con here and have some school staff personas they keep up for the entire series, simultaneously working as Team Rocket and doing their usual schemes---only to return to the school by the end and keep up the facade, with the main cast none the wiser. Meowth could disguise himself as Alolan Meowth, of course.

We should see a trailer soon and I'm hyped. The new style makes it seem like we'll get some fluid animation, and it may be the breath of fresh air the anime needs.

i'm optimistic about this

it's a new setting (that everyone has been wanting) and probably won't be the usual go on a journey, collect stuff, blah, blah (which everyone has been wanting too)

even if they dumb ash down or something (tbt, i expect they won't dumb him down but instead make him thinks he knows it but it turns out its wrong cause new region, new customs or whatever), it can still be enjoyable

b/w didn't work cause iris was a terrible terrible character and didn't do anything but made ash being stupid even more annoying

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The problem with "dumb Ash" in Best Wishes is they made him dumb even when it comes to Pokemon, which I think people don't want.

He can be book dumb, and dumb when it comes to romantic stuff, but he needs to be competent at Pokemon at least---y'know that's like a big rule of Shonen, no matter how dumb the protagonist is they have to be skilled at the main "goal".

Alola Ash I hope has trouble adjusting to school-life and embarrasses himself a bit interacting with the others, but then he shows them all up when it comes to practical skills.

Wiseblade

(Note: all Pokémon have 5-6 perfect IVs)

3x Buneary: 1x Jolly & 2x Adamant, HA (Limber), egg move (Fake Out)
3x Piplup: Calm
3x Growlithe: Adamant, Flash Fire
3x Phanpy: Adamant, egg move (Ice Shard)
3x Pawniard: Adamant, egg move (Sucker Punch)
2x Dratini: Adamant, HA (Marvel Scale), egg move (Extreme Speed)
2x Eevee: Bold, HA (Anticipation), egg move (Wish)
Marill: Adamant, Huge Power, egg move (Aqua Jet)

I still have a few of the Skrelp, Croagunk and Sneasel from last time too. Like last time I'm not looking for anything in return, but if you happen to have any spare breedjects...

The problem with "dumb Ash" in Best Wishes is they made him dumb even when it comes to Pokemon, which I think people don't want.

He can be book dumb, and dumb when it comes to romantic stuff, but he needs to be competent at Pokemon at least---y'know that's like a big rule of Shonen, no matter how dumb the protagonist is they have to be skilled at the main "goal".

Alola Ash I hope has trouble adjusting to school-life and embarrasses himself a bit interacting with the others, but then he shows them all up when it comes to practical skills.
I'd be 100% on board with this. Don't fuck up his battle skills. Let him be an idiot book wise and everything else because face it he is but at the very least have him at the top of the class or Whatever pokemon wise

the only way i will want to see school ash doing poorly in battles is being beaten by whatever new gimmick this region has (those z moves or whatever)

and then he learns about them, digs deep into his deep stash of jojo poses and proceeds to win with them

(Note: all Pokémon have 5-6 perfect IVs)

3x Buneary: 1x Jolly & 2x Adamant, HA (Limber), egg move (Fake Out)
3x Piplup: Calm
3x Growlithe: Adamant, Flash Fire
3x Phanpy: Adamant, egg move (Ice Shard)
3x Pawniard: Adamant, egg move (Sucker Punch)
2x Dratini: Adamant, HA (Marvel Scale), egg move (Extreme Speed)
2x Eevee: Bold, HA (Anticipation), egg move (Wish)
Marill: Adamant, Huge Power, egg move (Aqua Jet)

I still have a few of the Skrelp, Croagunk and Sneasel from last time too. Like last time I'm not looking for anything in return, but if you happen to have any spare breedjects...

Growlithe and Pawniard if you still have some available. Looking for something?

Fireblend

Banned
I still have some 5IV Growlithes, Adamant with Morning Sun and Close Combat, if anyone wants em :)

Edit: And Flash Fire (most of them I think)

Top Bottom