• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

So I'm currently watching XY on Netflix. I haven't really watched the series since Johto. Are the movies non-canon? It's like Ash never acknowledges meeting any Legendaries.
I'm currently on the episode when Trevor is looking for Moltres. Ash acts as if he's never seen one.

So I'm currently watching XY on Netflix. I haven't really watched the series since Johto. Are the movies non-canon? It's like Ash never acknowledges meeting any Legendaries.
I'm currently on the episode when Trevor is looking for Moltres. Ash acts as if he's never seen one.

depends, some movies are canon and others aren't

i'm pretty sure The Power of One should be canon as both Ash and Misty recognize a Lugia at some point in Johto

but it's been like more than 15 years since that movie came out so they could have forgot or it's a dub thing and the sub has him recognizing it

depends, some movies are canon and others aren't

i'm pretty sure The Power of One should be canon as both Ash and Misty recognize a Lugia at some point in Johto

but it's been like more than 15 years since that movie came out so they could have forgot or it's a dub thing and the sub has him recognizing it
Yeah, that makes sense. More continuity would be nice, though.

JoeM86

I just realized SM is fulfilling the poke-dreams of wolf and dolphin pokemon

If there is a dolphin Pokémon

in the original audio Ash has the vague "I recognize that" stuff

Yeah, it's the same situation with the Genesect movie. Ash recognised Mewtwo but was cut off before he could say it.

There is continuity, lots of it, but the dub ruins some and others are ignored by people.

All movies are canon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMzwcIG8vgk

oh HELL yes

weekly animated shorts along the lines of Pokemon Origins featuring scenes from throughout the series. I'm hyped for this.

I watched that twice and Charizard is seemly absent I wonder if that's part of the story and they are hinting at something or did they forget to add him into the clip.

Also it seems like it's focusing on Gen 1, 2, 4 and 6, though that's from me judging the trailer which is only a minute long.

I just hope that it's more than 4 episode and flesh Red out a bit.

why are they using Red for everything

Because he won the Pokémon league. ;p

I watched that twice and Charizard is seemly absent I wonder if that's part of the story and they are hinting at something or did they forget to add him into the clip.

Also it seems like it's focusing on Gen 1, 2, 4 and 6, though that's from me judging the trailer which is only a minute long.

I just hope that it's more than 4 episode and flesh Red out a bit.

18 short (3-5 mins) episodes spread over like half a year or some long period of time or whatever

honestly, i don't really care about this

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh it's short, so it's fine.

I already am positive about it despite Red shilling because it already has a better artstyle than origins.

Chase17

Really like the bit of Gladion's theme from the last trailer. Music has been on point so far.

Shaping up to be a pretty great week for Pokémon. First the Corocoro leaks, generations announcement and its first two episodes, new S/M trailer Wednesday, and the anime two parter+info on sun and moon anime.

Boss Doggie

Also I feel I should post this since I also watched another celebration episode.

In Animal Sentai Zyuohger, the two episodes that celebrated the milestones (the franchise's 1999th and 2000th episodes) involve a really popular sentai Pirate Sentai Gokaiger to come back (particularly because they can transform into other Sentai).

I was expecting the usual "one team takes over the show, the older team lectures the new team" stuff but with better writing. Nope - not only did it have better writing, it moved the main plot, the two teams interacted well, and they never overshadowed each other. Even the "old team lectures the new" didn't happen and it was more of both teams lecturing each other.

I honestly wish TPC would do something like that to Pokemon. No not the returning characters thing, just how they handle milestone celebrations. It seems like they only wank to what is popular in nostalgia and the current, which is weird because Super Sentai is also a merchandising show targeted at kids.

Red has Pikachu in his Mt Silver team, it's hardly a departure from his classic portrayal.

Only because there's already Pikachu hype and Yellow came out.

His canon ace is Charizard.

Wiseblade

Only because there's already Pikachu hype and Yellow came out.

His canon ace is Charizard.
"Only because" sounds like you're trying to push your headcanon. As far as the games are concerned Red's canonical party consists of all the gift Pokémon in Yellow with the highest level Pokémon being Pikachu.

Edit: You don't need to write Gokaiger overshadowing another Sentai team, their natural charisma and on-screen presence does that by itself.

Boss Doggie

"Only because" sounds like you're trying to push your headcanon. As far as the games are concerned Red's canonical party consists of all the gift Pokémon in Yellow with the highest level Pokémon being Pikachu.
well it is though? it's less headcanon and more of a marketing strategy

Really like the bit of Gladion's theme from the last trailer. Music has been on point so far.

Shaping up to be a pretty great week for Pokémon. First the Corocoro leaks, generations announcement and its first two episodes, new S/M trailer Wednesday, and the anime two parter+info on sun and moon anime.

It sounds pretty rad. It reminds me a lot of Go Ichinose's Gen 5 stuff. I think Gladion's theme is his doing too.

WPS

I hate this "Red has Pikachu" revisionism they are pulling.

Yeah as much as I hate Pikachu for stealing Raichu's deserved glory, you're going to lose this one.

GS: Red has Pikachu.
HGSS: Red has Pikachu.
B2W2: Red has Pikachu.
Anime: Ash has Pikachu.
Generations: Red has Pikachu.
Electric Tale of Pikachu: Ash has Pikachu.
Adventures: Red has Pikachu, though its not his main.
Pocket Monsters: Red has Pikachu, though its not his main.
Gotta Catch 'Em All: Shu has Pikachu
HGSS Manga: Red has Pikachu

vs.

Stadium 2: Red does not have Pikachu
Origins: Red does not use Pikachu, though he does catch it.
Zensho: Satoshi has Pikachu but evolves it into Raichu like a champ.

Boss Doggie

my point was most of them were shoehorned after they settled with Pikachu as a mascot, using Yellow as excuse

his main in Pocket Monsters was that really creepy Clefairy

WPS

my point was most of them were shoehorned after they settled with Pikachu as a mascot, using Yellow as excuse

his main in Pocket Monsters was that really creepy Clefairy

Maybe, but once its been going on for like 23 out of 25 years its really not revisionism, it's canon.

Is it possible at all to stick moves onto Pokemon via move tutor when you only have the EVOLVED version of said Pokemon?

Say i have a Mammoswine and i want it to learn Ice Shard, but only Swinub can learn Ice Shard naturally right? So short of having to train a new Swinub, am i just SOL on this one then?

Is it possible at all to stick moves onto Pokemon via move tutor when you only have the EVOLVED version of said Pokemon?

Say i have a Mammoswine and i want it to learn Ice Shard, but only Swinub can learn Ice Shard naturally right? So short of having to train a new Swinub, am i just SOL on this one then?

I don't believe any move tutor can teach Ice Shard and Mamoswine can't remember it, so yes, you will have to train a new Swinub if you want the move.

Wiseblade

You're pretty much out of luck. There IS an exception, however. If your Mamoswine hatched knowing Ice Shard then I believe the move relearner would be of use in that case. But that's the only situation I know of.

You're pretty much out of luck. There IS an exception, however. If your Mamoswine hatched knowing Ice Shard then I believe the move relearner would be of use in that case. But that's the only situation I know of.

Yeah i'm out of luck then :(

It's not a hatched one, just one i caught early on and leveled up to 73 now. Oh well i will have to fight Red without Ice Shard then i guess! I do have Blizzard on him so...

Top Bottom