• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Wiseblade

With only two months left until generation VII I kind of want to do a Gen VI post mortem. Looking at what stood out from the generation and putting giving a final report on my battling teams.

First off, I'll talk about the signature feature of Gen VI, Mega Evolutions. At first, I was strongly opposed to them. With the likes of Garchomp, Mewtwo and Gengar getting them, it felt more like the rich getting richer rather than a way for Pokémon that had been left behind to catch up. ORAS addressed a lot of that criticism, introducing Megas like Beedrill, Pidgeot and Lopunny. But in the same breath it brought the abomination Mega Rayquaza into the world, leaving the mechanic feeling like a mixed bag.

Design-wise I don't like the look of the majority of Megas. They tend to have a one-idea-too-far look to them that I find off putting. Again, the ORAS Megas don't suffer from this as much, but it's still there for a lot of them.

In the end, it fundamentally changed the way many people look at competitive teambuilding. To many, Gen VI teams follow a "Pick a Mega and build a team around it" philosophy, which has a few unfortunate side effects. The first is that it creates a shortlist of Pokémon where one is guaranteed to be on any particular team, negatively impacting diversity. The second is that since teams are more often built around supporting the Mega of choice, obscure Pokémon that don't synergise with or perform poorly against popular Megas are pushed further down the list.

In the end I grew to tolerate Mega Evolutions, if somewhat begrudgingly. Mega Rayquaza will always be super stupid, though.

Wiseblade

If you have one that you'd be willing to part with id be very grateful. I'm still trying to figure out how some of the breeding aspects work since the last pokemon game I really played was yellow, IVs for instance are a little confusing but breeding is fun for me so it's something I've been messing with a lot. I'm currently breeding dratinis until I can get some of the females I'm aiming for in other species.
I'd be happy to trade you one. Just shout when you're free.

Wiseblade

I can't believe I pulled off something this clutch.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-443080287
1) How is Kyurem OU? Base 170 attack stats firing off Outrages/Draco Meteors with some serious bulk behind them and a Paralysis/Burn immunity? Even the weaker attack stat for each is Base 120.

2) Why did you keep Volcarona in vs Talonflame? A sacrifice?

3) Man, Serperior might be one of the best cleanup Pokémon in the game, purely because it can't be phased out when going last.

How good would Oranguru be with Mega Kangaskhan?
Pretty good, it'd only need to instruct one Power Up Punch to get Kanga to triple its attack in a single turn. From there, it can just instruct Rock Slide/Earthquake until the end of time.

Priority moves or Pokémon faster than Mega Kangaskhan would screw this overy real quick though. A strong enough Mach Punch or a fast Close Combat would end your plans real quick. Opening with ghost types also throws a spanner in the works. Oranguru being immune to Shadow Sneak helps, but it still looks like a fragile strategy.

1) How is Kyurem OU? Base 170 attack stats firing off Outrages/Draco Meteors with some serious bulk behind them and a Paralysis/Burn immunity? Even the weaker attack stat for each is Base 120.

1) It gets outsped by everything that matters
2) It's weak to Stealth Rock, Rock in general, Dragon, Fairy, and Fighting
3) It has a poor physical movepool re: STAB (you're pretty much only going to be using Outrage, unless you decide to go for a set with Dragon Claw)

And this isn't even taking into account his fusions, where Kyurem-White is the only form in Ubers. Kyurem-Black, while stronger physically, has none of it's aforementioned problems solved.

Soule

I've just started getting back into Pokemon the last few months because I've got a newborn and portable gaming is the most suitable form now. Picked up Alpha Sapphire a while ago and have hit the end game now and loving life, inside the final 100 Pokemon for the pokedex!

Exciting times :D

Also I tried to collect all the Vivillon's... 3 left and I think the chances of finishing them off are negligible the last few are like impossible to get a reasonable trade for :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
With only two months left until generation VII I kind of want to do a Gen VI post mortem. Looking at what stood out from the generation and putting giving a final report on my battling teams.

First off, I'll talk about the signature feature of Gen VI, Mega Evolutions. At first, I was strongly opposed to them. With the likes of Garchomp, Mewtwo and Gengar getting them, it felt more like the rich getting richer rather than a way for Pokémon that had been left behind to catch up. ORAS addressed a lot of that criticism, introducing Megas like Beedrill, Pidgeot and Lopunny. But in the same breath it brought the abomination Mega Rayquaza into the world, leaving the mechanic feeling like a mixed bag.

Design-wise I don't like the look of the majority of Megas. They tend to have a one-idea-too-far look to them that I find off putting. Again, the ORAS Megas don't suffer from this as much, but it's still there for a lot of them.

In the end, it fundamentally changed the way many people look at competitive teambuilding. To many, Gen VI teams follow a "Pick a Mega and build a team around it" philosophy, which has a few unfortunate side effects. The first is that it creates a shortlist of Pokémon where one is guaranteed to be on any particular team, negatively impacting diversity. The second is that since teams are more often built around supporting the Mega of choice, obscure Pokémon that don't synergise with or perform poorly against popular Megas are pushed further down the list.

In the end I grew to tolerate Mega Evolutions, if somewhat begrudgingly. Mega Rayquaza will always be super stupid, though.

For me Gen 6 can be summed up in one word, disappointment.

Prior to the game release I was expecting gen 6 to build on from gen 4 with the cross gen evolution and gen 5 with the epic story.

But what we got was a regression, riddled with pointless and annoying NPC along with one of the worse champion that has ever graced the series with a new gimmick that didn't appeal to me.

The low Pokémon count and gen 1 pandering was also annoying and by the time I got to Shalour City my enjoyment of the game took a nose dive as I felt that the pacing was so bad with the Team Flare plot being dished out in one go with zero pacing, with the Flare scientist being poorly fleshed out, which is a shame as I had so much hope for them.

But the biggest problem that I had with the story is at time it felt like that there was 3 different storys, the mystery of mega, Team Flare and the great War, running at the same time with very little connection it just didn't work and as a result Xerneas and Yveltal was shoehorned into the climax of the Team Flare plot and play very little with Kalos lore and history.

Kalos itself was also a very boring region with very little secrets to explore and it just felt like it was going through the motion with Game Freak using the region to show off their 3D engine and I didn't care for 3 different Pokédex and the seasonal theme.

Then we get to my biggest pet peeve of gen 6, Mega and the fact that the game was far too easy even with exp share turned off as Game Freak made some design choices to make the game easy.

Now I understand that making a game accessible is great for new comers and younger players and I didn't mind that but I was baffled and disappointed that instead of refining Challenge Mode from Black and White 2 and making it a series staple it was dropped so players who wanted more of a challenge were out of luck.

When Mega was first revealed I didn't care for them but I was excited as I foolishly thought that some older Pokémon were either going to have Mega or new evolution but as the release date drew closer and it became clear to me that Sylveon was the only new cross gen evolution with the rest getting Mega it also didn't help that the rumour that Kalos only had 72 new Pokémon was floating around and I was crushed when it ended up being true as Mega are not new Pokémon or evolution.

Having said that Gen 6 really excelled with the Pokémon 3D model and the battle was smooth and snappy and the Hoenn remake did redeem gen 6 a bit but ultimately with no "Pokémon Z" to redeem Kalos it's unlikely that I will look back fondly with gen 6.

Bring on Sun and Moon.

2) Why did you keep Volcarona in vs Talonflame? A sacrifice?
That was a mistake. I just saw flame and forgot about the flying part thinking we'd be even. By the time I realize it was party flying it was too late.

3) Man, Serperior might be one of the best cleanup Pokémon in the game, purely because it can't be phased out when going last.

Pretty good, it'd only need to instruct one Power Up Punch to get Kanga to triple its attack in a single turn. From there, it can just instruct Rock Slide/Earthquake until the end of time.

Priority moves or Pokémon faster than Mega Kangaskhan would screw this over real quick though. A strong enough Mach Punch or a fast Close Combat would end your plans real quick. Opening with ghost types also throws a spanner in the works. Oranguru being immune to Shadow Sneak helps, but it still looks like a fragile strategy.

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished Pokemon White. Man, that last sequence of fights was rough; I was level ~48 around the time I reached the elite four and that Level 54 Hydreigon Ghetsis had at the very end was brutal.

I know this has plenty of postgame (I haven't even visited half of the map), but is it worth playing? I kind of want to be done with the game (I have others in my backlog) but if there's any major lore-related sidequests to be completed (I know about the Looker quest, I'm probably doing that) I want to do them before returning the game to its box since the plot and lore is by far the most interesting aspect of the game.

Great game, btw. I hope the cast in Sun and Moon is as well developed as in this one, and I thought the difficulty was on point. I loved how gym leaders were actually involved in the story and not just static sprites tucked away in their gyms.

Just finished Pokemon White. Man, that last sequence of fights was rough; I was level ~48 around the time I reached the elite four and that Level 54 Hydreigon Ghetsis had at the very end was brutal.

I know this has plenty of postgame (I haven't even visited half of the map), but is it worth playing? I kind of want to be done with the game (I have others in my backlog) but if there's any major lore-related sidequests to be completed (I know about the Looker quest, I'm probably doing that) I want to do them before returning the game to its box since the plot and lore is by far the most interesting aspect of the game.

Great game, btw. I hope the cast in Sun and Moon is as well developed as in this one, and I thought the difficulty was on point. I loved how gym leaders were actually involved in the story and not just static sprites tucked away in their gyms.

Ugh, I don't think so. White 2 I think has more stuff to do post game. I actually just beat Black 2 the other day and also decided not to do post game because it already took me more than a month just to beat the initial game.

Exploring the rest of BW's map doesn't actually take that long. IIRC you can do that and the sage hunting in a few hours and that's about it.

BW2 has much better post-game content TBH

BW2's post-game stuff is the best, most interesting and most worthwhile of its type. Every other Pokémon game wishes that it was that good after the league.

brinstar

I think it's pretty much just the Looker quest and some legendary hunting. The actual traditional Elite 4 fight with the Champion is open now too, but they'll require some leveling up. If you've got other games to play you can pretty much safely move on.

Rutger

Banned
Are we talking about postgame

Because my boy Emerald has you all beat

I've never cared much for the Battle Frontier. Gimmicky battles that gain BP way too slowly never worked for me. I don't care about Hoenn as a region at all either, so nah, Emerald is far from an interesting postgame for me.

I want to be able to fight old NPCs and playable characters like in Gen II and the second Gen V games. It doesn't need to be an old region like with Gen II but I want to see old characters with some revised teams. Otherwise, netplay is where the postgame is strongest to me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I still miss the Sinnoh map.

Same but alas it was too advance for the young children to handle.

Makes me wonder how they will handle it when gen 4 gets the remake treatment.

Man I found every single thing about Gen IV boring and forgettable as hell, I can't even remember that map. I know there was snow to the North is all.

Your journey started in Twinleaf Town, it was a nice quaint town with a little pond at the front of your house.

To the north was Route 201 with Lake Verity to the left and Sandgem town, where Rowan Lab was located, to the right. Down south of Sandgem town was the ocean with lead to route 220 and 221 where the pal park was located.

North of Sandgem town was route 202 which lead to Jubilife City, which was one of two central hub that Sinnoh had to offer and the location of the GTS, Jubilife TV and the Pokétech company.

To the right of Jubilife City was route 203 which lead to Oreburgh Gate a tunnel which led to Oreburgh City a Coal mining city where the first gym leader was found in the Oreburgh Mine.

To the north of Jubilife City was route 204 where the cave the Ravaged Path was located and lead to Floaroma Town another quaint town a once barren wasteland till flowers started blooming thanks to the Pokémon Shaymin.

As you leave Floaroma Town onto Route 205 where the Valley Windworks is located as is the Fuego Ironworks via surf.

Continue through north of 205 and you will end up in Eterna Forest an enchanted forest where the Old Chateau is located as is the Moss Rock.

Exit Eterna Forest and you wind up back onto Route 205 before arriving Eterna City, where the second gym leader is located along with the Galactic Building.

Eterna City also had a statute which was a mismatch of Dialga and Palkia.

The east exit lead to Route 211 were the foot of Mt Coronet was located, the south exit of Eterna City led to 206 where the cycling road bridge was with Wayward Cave, a cave with two entrance hiding underneath.

Carrying on going straight Route 206 eventually connects back to Oreburgh City or take a right to 207 which leads to Mt. Cornet into route 208 which leads to Hearthome City the second of Sinnoh central hub.

Hearthome city is home to Pokémon Contest, Amity Square, a church where Arceus is worshiped, it's also where the ghostly gym leader Fantina is located.

The east exit leads to Route 209 where the Hallowed and Lost Tower reside before leading up to Solaceon Town a small ranch town where the breeding center, newspaper and the Solaceon Ruins are.

Exit through Solaceon Town leading through 210 with the north heading towards Celestic Town, home of Cynthia grandmother house who explains the legend of how Sinnoh came to be and the east path leading to 215.

Route 215 leads to Veilstone City, where the gaming corner, Galactic Building, the department store and fighting type gym.

Veilstone City is also the site of meteorites where Deoxy can shift forms.

South of Veilstone City is route 214 where not only Lake Valor is located but also the 4th hidden lake Sendoff Spring which leads to Turnback Cave home of the legendary Pokémon Giratina and the entrant of the Distortion World.

Continue south of 214 and you will wind up in 213 where the Grand Lake Hotel and Dr. Footstep's House is.

Route 213 leads to Pastoria City home of the Great Marsh and the water gym leader Crasher Wake.

The move reminder is also located here.

The west exit of Pastoria City leads to route 212 a marshy area which eventually clears up to a grassy area where the Pokemon Mansion, owned by the liar Mr. Backlot who brags about his "special" Trophy Garden.

Head back to Jubilife City and take the west exit leading to route 218 take a short surf and you will arrive in Canalave City.

Canalave City has interesting folklore detailing the legend of Fullmoon and Newmoon island, which seem to be connected to the mystery Inn.

Canalave City also has a library house interesting books about Sinnoh forklore and creation of the Pokémon universe. It's also where the steel type gym leader Flint is.

Canalave City also has a boat that leads to Iron Island where trainer go to train.

Head back to Celestic Town and onto Route 211 and climb up Mt Coronet and exit onto route 216 a snowy route which gets heavier as you enter route 217.

Near Route 217 is Lake Acuity and Snowpoint City, Sinnoh most northern part.

Snowpoint City also house the Ice type gym leader, Snowpoint Temple and a boat that will take you to the fight area located on a small Island, Stark Mountain an active volcano reside there.

After defeating the 7th gym leader you head off to Mt Coronet to the most highest point and discover Spear Pillar and that the Sinnoh legend are true and that Mt Coronet is the birth place of the Pokémon Universe, the Hall of Origin is also located here.

Head back to Route 213 and Route 222 is finally open leading straight Sunyshore City, home of the light house and the solar panel bridge, where the bored gym Leader stands between you and the league.

Head north of Sunyshore City and surf across Route 223 and climb up a waterfall where the entrant of Victory Road reside.

Victory Road has two exit one that leads to Route 224 where Seabreak Path the longest route of Sinnoh which leads to Flower Paradise.

The other exit leads to the Pokémon League where you face off the Elite 4 and claim your place as the Sinnoh Champion.

This was all written from memory and just shows how rich in folklore Sinnoh is and is far from being a bland region, that honours goes to Kalos as it just doesn't flow well together like why does Kalos have a desert route between Coumarine City a very grassy city and Lumiose City an urban city or to why Route 14, 15, 16 seems to be swampy and seem to be in a permanent state of Autumn which somehow leads to a snowy area when you enter Dendemille Town.

This latest episode of Generations made me want to ask something I've been thinking about for years. What do Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 do every day in the Pokemon world?

Is it a job and they're there for most of the day just waiting for challengers? I think some have other jobs on the side. Roxie is a rock star and Elesa's a model, but what happens when they're away? Do the trainers leave the gym, do you have to schedule an appointment? And what about the Elite 4 and champion? Do they just sit up in there bored waiting to whoop someone's ass?

In the games it's common for gym leaders to be away from the gym to force you to do some shit first. They either lock the door or find some dude to stand in front of the door all day.

And of course, if gym leaders are at the PWT they obviously aren't at their gyms. Same with the Battleground in Pt. Similarly, HGSS gym leaders go wherever the fuck they feel like during certain times and finding them during those times is basically how you get rematches with them.

So yeah they have lives I guess.

Wiseblade

I can't stand Sinnoh. You know how people complain about HMs in Hoenn? That's how I feel about Sinnoh. Personally, Rock Climb and Defog are FAR more offensive than constantly surfing and Diving.

Malrend

I can't stand Sinnoh. You know how people complain about HMs in Hoenn? That's how I feel about Sinnoh. Personally, Rock Climb and Defog are FAR more offensive than constantly surfing and Diving.

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Defog is used all of two or three times in the Sinnoh games as far I can recall, and yet I am supposed to have it at the ready, just in case.
Rock Climb is just silly.

Wiseblade

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Defog is used all of two or three times in the Sinnoh games as far I can recall, and yet I am supposed to have it at the ready, just in case.
Rock Climb is just silly.
Defog is harder to ignore than flash too, as accuracy is reduced when battling in foggy areas. It's the worst!

Which only makes it more frustrating that the move is NOW competitively useful. Why wasn't it good when it was a HM?

why are the decent legendaries are in shop exclusives while the rest are through nintendo network

I don't think it was intentional, at least for the 20th Anniversary stuff. They'be been following a pattern of one In Store then two over Nintendo Network, and just releasing everything in original release/pokedex order.

JoeM86

I don't think it was intentional, at least for the 20th Anniversary stuff. They'be been following a pattern of one In Store then two over Nintendo Network, and just releasing everything in original release/pokedex order.

But they're not

Feb: #151 Mew (Initial release: 1996)
March: #251 Celebi (Initial release: 2001)
April: #385 Jirachi (Initial release: 2003)
May: #491 Darkrai (Initial release: 2007)
June: #490 Manaphy (Initial release: 2006)
July: #492 Shaymin (Initial release: 2008)
August: #493 Arceus (Initial release: 2009)
September: #494 Victini (Initial release: 2010)
October: #647 Keldeo (Initial release: April 2012)
November: #649 Genesect (Initial release: August 2012)
December: #648 Meloetta (Initial release: July 2012)

It was intentionally altered

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Basically I missed Mew, Darkrai, and Arceus and gonna miss Genesect. Good thing I still have them in my X.

Malrend

Maybe related to the advertisement deals they've got going?

I mean, at least my little corner of Europe every 3rd or so pokemon give-away prior to these 20th Anniversary give-aways, have forced you to go to a store.

Although now that I think about that was a different chain than the ones getting the 20th anniversary stuff..

Edit: Should be mentioned that we didn't really get any give-aways until the year following X&Y's release, since we aren't part of NOE's territory.

In the games it's common for gym leaders to be away from the gym to force you to do some shit first. They either lock the door or find some dude to stand in front of the door all day.

And of course, if gym leaders are at the PWT they obviously aren't at their gyms. Same with the Battleground in Pt. Similarly, HGSS gym leaders go wherever the fuck they feel like during certain times and finding them during those times is basically how you get rematches with them.

So yeah they have lives I guess.

Do they have salaries and what about the Elite 4 and Champion?

Mr-Joker

Banned
This latest episode of Generations made me want to ask something I've been thinking about for years. What do Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 do every day in the Pokemon world?

Is it a job and they're there for most of the day just waiting for challengers? I think some have other jobs on the side. Roxie is a rock star and Elesa's a model, but what happens when they're away? Do the trainers leave the gym, do you have to schedule an appointment? And what about the Elite 4 and champion? Do they just sit up in there bored waiting to whoop someone's ass?

It's has been established that the Gym leaders do have a life outside the gym, like Brock policing Mt. Moon and digging up fossil.

And when they just close the gym which is mention my Daisy in gen 2 as Blue is often away from his gym.

As for Elite 4, it's implied that it's a tournament set at specific time and after that the members are free to go back to their lives.

In fact in the post game of Fire Red, the elite 4 was closed as Lorelei went home to Four Island.

As much as I love Sinnoh, yeah I can't defend how HM heavy the region was and then I first played it I was not happy about Bibarel tagging along during Team Galactic finale at Mt Coronet, which lead to the creation of the reserve team.

Yes they have salaries as it's their job.

Wiseblade

I'd imagine there's a financial benefit to being a gym leader, but it's probably not enough to live on. Most Gym Leaders from Generation IV onwards are shown to have second jobs outside of running a Gym.

Hoenn is an exception however, as Brandon's income as a Gym Leader appears to be enough to justify moving his family from one region to another.

The Elite Four seem to get paid significantly more since they all seem to dedicate themselves to their hobbies or simply waiting for Challengers.

It's basically impossible to tell for champions, since they all seem to have been born into wealth or have additional well paying careers.

I remember one episode of Advance where Ash was salty as fuck that one Gym Leader seemingly wasn't taking training seriously, and then he got his ass handed to him. Seems like Gym Leaders can do as they please until an actual challenger shows up.

Top Bottom