• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

I remember one episode of Advance where Ash was salty as fuck that one Gym Leader seemingly wasn't taking training seriously, and then he got his ass handed to him. Seems like Gym Leaders can do as they please until an actual challenger shows up.

yeah that was Brawly, he was just surfing with his pokemon

but his surfing was also a form of training about balance and stuff so it might not be the best example

L.O.R.D

This latest episode of Generations made me want to ask something I've been thinking about for years. What do Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 do every day in the Pokemon world?

Is it a job and they're there for most of the day just waiting for challengers? I think some have other jobs on the side. Roxie is a rock star and Elesa's a model, but what happens when they're away? Do the trainers leave the gym, do you have to schedule an appointment? And what about the Elite 4 and champion? Do they just sit up in there bored waiting to whoop someone's ass?

also wondering,was blue the first champion? why he didn't battle against the previous champion?
also,after he become a champion,why no one walked with him to the room?
why he was just waiting there?

also wondering,was blue the first champion? why he didn't battle against the previous champion?

My guess is that they hadn't established an actual "Champion" title in the first games, so it would've probably ended after the E4. As for Gary being there, they actually say that he had just got done winning the whole thing, so he probably knew you were coming and decided to wait and challenge you.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I think that Kanto previous Champion retired sometime prior to the event of the gen 1 game and they were without one for a while and then decided to have an open challenge to find a new champion as evident by the e-mail on Oak's PC.

I assume that Lance probably did just that we don't get to see it.

Because we arrived not long after he became champion, remember Blue reign as the champion was short lived.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
I think i am signed up with more than one email but have yet to get the pokemon club newsletter with the Darkraicode. Has anyone received it?

I've been playing Red and Blue a lot lately and I checked Professor Oak's email for the first time since 1990's and it says the E4 is looking for a new champion. I always assumed the old one retired before Blue even got there too.

But they're not

Feb: #151 Mew (Initial release: 1996)
March: #251 Celebi (Initial release: 2001)
April: #385 Jirachi (Initial release: 2003)
May: #491 Darkrai (Initial release: 2007)
June: #490 Manaphy (Initial release: 2006)
July: #492 Shaymin (Initial release: 2008)
August: #493 Arceus (Initial release: 2009)
September: #494 Victini (Initial release: 2010)
October: #647 Keldeo (Initial release: April 2012)
November: #649 Genesect (Initial release: August 2012)
December: #648 Meloetta (Initial release: July 2012)

It was intentionally altered
Oh man, my bad then. Didn't check the dates, and I guess my memory isn't quite as good as I thought. In that case they probably moved Darkrai and Genesect up because a badass robo-bug and edgy nightmare ghost are more likely to get people coming to the store than an adorable sea fairy and a...weird singing person.

tried to make a pokemon inspired by abstract lines and such on my bathroom wall

hu4svWj.jpg

I straight up traced most of it from the wall. The random chaos makes for a lot of weird images if you look hard enough.

Wiseblade

Part II of my Gen VI post mortem is on the new monster designs. Honestly I'd say it's the second weakest generation overall, beating only Generation II.

Generation VI's Pokémon are a real mixed bag. It's scattered with strong designs like Greninja and Aegislash, but they're matched by ones I bounce off completely like Aromatisse and Slurpuff. Ultimately, the low number of new monsters means that every Pokémon I don't love stings that much harder. Coming off of Gen V which never stopped throwing cool designs at me, it was especially jarring.

woopWOOP

So the first time playing Pokemon Y I was so underwhelmed and got so annoyed by the characters that I dropped it shortly after the first gym. With Sun & Moon slowly coming closer to release I figured I should reset and give it another chance and see it all the way through before then. Just beat the Elite 4 last night and you know what? Game's alright.

I mostly liked the game's locations and visuals. Fairy gym, pyschic gym and the elite 4 buildings were pretty neat as was the route with the broken forts. Some things like the oversized crystal and deadly snowpath between two sunny villages were kind of dumb (why were the winter clothes only sold in the last town? Traveling through raging winterstorm in my summer bikini, yeah sure that makes sense). Since I already expected my 'friends' to be a bunch of shallow, happy go lucky twerps I ended up finding them less annoying this time around. Sometimes I thought there was actually going to be emotional moment and them growing as a character, but those quickly turned to 'Pokemon are awesome, yeah!' so nevermind. The whole Team Flare and AZ thing was stupid and felt really pointless. Especially the Flare shit felt it was added in at the last moment, calling me from some faraway town to do this dramatic battle on the other side of the map before I could go back and continue. C'mon, just let me get to my final gym already.

Because people kept saying these games are incredibly easy I limited myself by turning off the Exp Share, actually using Set battles for the first time and using mid-evolution Pokemon only (made easier by farming/trading 6 everstones to my copy beforehand). I guess by doing so I also limited myself to not equip any items. This made the game rather challenging around the final areas, I liked it. I can see the difficulty being a total pushover otherwise tho, especially with Mega Evolution. On that note it's kind of disappointing there were only three battles where the enemy trainer used one. Was Calem supposed to use one in that final rival battle? I knocked out his monsters right away so I wouldn't know.

I also got to give X&Y credit for allowing you to catch a huge variety of Pokemon right off the bat, altho with Pokemon Bank and GTS/Wonder Trade you can easily play the game with whatever you want anyway (like I did). Still the region itself is alright, I'll probably end up replaying it at some point.

Alright, now that's over with here's something completely different: Which one of you got a Manaphy? I missed the event myself. Could you trade me a newly hatched Phione? IVs and nature don't matter to me, just want one for a future playthrough I'm planning. Thanks!

I don't think a single Pokémon is trash soooooo

Gen VI has amazing and consistent designs. I think it's one of the strongest collective batches in terms of a generation's designs having a cohesive design flavor. Actually, the reason I was so mad about Gen VI having less than 80 new Pokémon is because the designs we did get were so good that I wanted more.

All three starters are great in both their first and last stages, which I think is the only generation I feel that way about. Ghost continued to stay winning with two new Grass/Ghosts and Aegislash (one of the coolest designs ever imo). The fossils are both goddamned masterpieces even if Aurorus is weak to everything. Fairy's debut was strong with awesome designs like Florges, Slurpuff (the shiny is its true form), Klefki, and even a new Fairy Eeveelution. Goodra is an immaculate design and a fantastic Pokémon. The legendaries are both great, too (Zygarde is awesome but I really prefer the look of its 50% form the most).

Basically this generation shits on the idea that "a few good Pokémon is better than a lot of bad ones," not only because the idea that a Pokémon can meet a metric for objective "badness" is absurd and stupid, but also because it shows that when there's not a Pokémon-based sense of discovery abundant in a new region, it suffers. I feel like Kalos has a less resolute identity as a result of its reliance on familiarity, and this includes the small number of new Pokémon.

Also Aromatisse is great (it's a plague doctor how cool is that), so everyone should stop it.

Kyzer

Banned
abstaining from playing until sun/moon. I have the itch like crazy too so it'll be perfect

pretty sure im gonna try and scoop a ps4 pro and psvr a week beforehand, itll be funny to have that and basically throw it aside to play sun/moon for ~500 hours

Dimmle

I haven't played a gen without a sizable portion of Pokemon that appeal to me in some way. I'm not of the belief that every Pokemon design should appeal to me, either. Critiquing entire generations just seems... exhausting.

I'm sure most people who say they don't like a gen of designs doesn't mean they don't like every single one, just that most of them are unappealing. I don't see how making a rather simple observation should be exhausting.

Dimmle

Yeah, I can understand the feeling. I did have strong negative opinions about some of the more anthropomorphic designs of gen 3 when it first hit (Illumise, Volbeat, and Grumpig still bug me). That's probably the sharpest reaction I've had to a generation as a whole.

Dimmle

I'm doing a FireRed Nuzlocke right now, would anyone be willing to give me some advice for my current team and their movesets?
Do not take the fighting Pokemon in Saffron; hold out for Lapras. With a moveset like Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Psychic, she can nearly solo the game and E4.

Puruzi

Banned
Did something happen for you to talk about the leaked starter Evolutions as fact?
Mallow already confirmed them but then there's the Chinese leak backing them up with all that it's gotten right, including the rugby monkey. It's basically 100% at this point.

Wiseblade

Mallow already confirmed them but then there's the Chinese leak backing them up with all that it's gotten right, including the rugby monkey. It's basically 100% at this point.
I know that, but I like to keep it straight in my head about what is confirmed and what is confirmed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Part II of my Gen VI post mortem is on the new monster designs. Honestly I'd say it's the second weakest generation overall, beating only Generation II.

Generation VI's Pokémon are a real mixed bag. It's scattered with strong designs like Greninja and Aegislash, but they're matched by ones I bounce off completely like Aromatisse and Slurpuff. Ultimately, the low number of new monsters means that every Pokémon I don't love stings that much harder. Coming off of Gen V which never stopped throwing cool designs at me, it was especially jarring.

Due to the low Pokémon count I actually have 7 gen 6 Pokémon that I want to use on future team meaning once I have found a place for them, then Gen 6 will be a footnote in the Pokémon series.

Basically this generation shits on the idea that "a few good Pokémon is better than a lot of bad ones," not only because the idea that a Pokémon can meet a metric for objective "badness" is absurd and stupid, but also because it shows that when there's not a Pokémon-based sense of discovery abundant in a new region, it suffers. I feel like Kalos has a less resolute identity as a result of its reliance on familiarity, and this includes the small number of new Pokémon.

I disagree, Gen 5 brought across new interesting type combination, whereas Gen 6 lacked variety when it came to Pokémon typing and is already outclassed by gen 7.

Do not take the fighting Pokemon in Saffron;

Pfft, I used my Primeape against Sabrina's Mr.Mime and he tore him to shred.

I love my Primeape.

Chase17

Gen 6 is top tier when it comes to designs. Maybe strongest overall gen for me.

So, it's been 10 years since Diamond and Pearl came out in Japan. Time flies by.

Gen IV was the first generation I started following new for. I remember first hearing about Diamond/Pearl back in 2005, and I later found out it was announced a year before that. The wait for that game was super long. Moving away from early announcements was probably for the best.

Something strange is that DP was supposed to release in Japan in 2005, but it got delayed an entire year and they never explained why. With how slow DP runs, I wonder what it would've been like if it did release earlier.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet me and Diamond and Pearl share the same birthday, give or take due to time zones. :D

Anyway it's no secret that gen 4 is my favorite generation and it does a great job in acting as an expansion as well as being able to stand on its two feet. Plus gen 4 gave us the best and toughest Champion who is yet to be topped.

I remember following gen 4 news the waiting period was rough as the delay meant that gen 3 got extended with gen 4 Pokémon being tied into it.

Gen 4 also brought about the renaissance of the Pokémon series and I went I got my copy of Pokémon Diamond I was so hyped to play it that I jammed it so hard into my DS lite that it couldn't read it and I had to pop it back out but I pushed too hard and it came flying out and went under the sofa...I had to tell myself to calm down.

Since no pokebank till January my sun/moon team will be

Nightrock
Salandit
Pikpek
Vikavolt
Fire turtle thing
Litten or rowlet
Would have zygarde but have a feeling he's a late gamer.

CassSept

I don't think it works too well when a very generic 3D models are used in place of original artwork. The japanese one imitates the old style, the new one is just bland.

Menitta

Oh, how I love the GAF method of celebrating a game's anniversary: it was never good/this killed the franchise for me.

DP were by no means perfect but damn, Platinum was good.

Top Bottom