• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Do not take the fighting Pokemon in Saffron; hold out for Lapras. With a moveset like Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Psychic, she can nearly solo the game and E4.
I actually accidentally grabbed Hitmonlee before realizing that I already got Lapras and that it counts for my Saffron encounter/capture. He immediately went in the PC and won't be considered usable.

Don't forget the route west of Viridian City. If you get a Nidoran, it'll serve you well.
Route 22 actually doesn't have Nidoran in FireRed, I think that's only for Gen 1. I caught a Mankey there that helped me wreck Brock as I went Charmander this time (actually my first time ever choosing Charmander). I did catch a Nidoran outside of Mt. Moon and Nidoking has been a strong member on my team since.

So I'm just about to face Koga after liberating Silph, defeating the Fighting Dojo, and wrecking Sabrina's Alakazam with my Snorlax.

Dupes/Species clause is in effect.

I've had many close calls, but my only casualty has been Oddium, the Vileplume, against Giovanni's Kangaskhan at the Game Corner. Sleep Powder kept failing, he kept using tail whip, I gambled on one more Sleep Powder (so dumb) which also missed and I ate a Mega Punch that OHKO'd Oddium. RIP.

Here's my current main 6:

Chef (Charizard), Lvl 40, Male
Nature: Rash
Ability: Blaze
Flamethrower
Fly
Brick Break
Dig (replace with Dragon Claw after getting TM)

Kaiju (Nidoking), Lvl 40, Male
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Poison Point
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Brick Break
Dig (replace with Earthquake after getting TM)

Treetrunks (Hypno), Lvl 38, Male
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Insomnia
Psychic
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Brick Break

Pineapple (Jolteon), Lvl 40, Female
Nature: Calm
Ability: Volt Absorb
Thunderbolt
Bite
Double Kick
Quick Attack (replace with Thunder Wave at Lvl 42)

Pillow (Snorlax), lvl 41, Male
Nature: Docile
Ability: Immunity
Body Slam (replace with Return after building friendship)
Shadow Ball
Brick Break
Yawn

Mera (Lapras), Lvl 31, Female
Nature: Bold
Ability: Shell Armor
Surf
Ice Beam
Psychic
Confuse Ray

I'm really unsure of what to do with Hypno. His Attack is actually higher than his Sp. Attack which is unfortunate, but STAB Psychic is still valuable. I'm thinking about these 2 sets for him:

Psychic
Thunder Wave
Reflect
Lightscreen

or

Psychic
Thunder Wave
Calm Mind/Reflect
Brick Break

First set is for support, I think Reflect/Screen will come in handy in the late game and the E4, and Hypno has a bit of bulk to effectively use them I think. Gotta dump my PP Ups into Psychic for this set though as that will be his only means of offense. Second set seems pretty straight forward. Power up and sweep, Brick Break for coverage. Replace Calm Mind with Reflect and this set is a Bruno slayer I think.

And then there's Lapras. Should I buy/grind Thunderbolt for her? I already have 2x Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Shadow Ball on my team, that was a lot of slot machine grinding as it is. I have enough money to just purchase the coins but I'd be 80,000 pokedollars poorer.

Sorry for the wall of text! I'm just having fun with my run and I wanted to share. Would appreciate any input on my Hypno/Lapras dilemma or any tips about my Pokes and their current movesets.

Dimmle

Thunderbolt is great on Lapras since she can easily tank Lorelei's hardest hitters but Thunder is viable if you're okay with the inaccuracy.

Growlie19

Speaking of replaying older games, I've just finished my replay of White with my first team. I beat Team Plasma with Emboar, Musharna, Zebstrika, Basculin, Druddigon, and Braviary, then swapped Musharna and Druddigon for Metagross and Dragonite.

Ghetsis was the only major hurdle as usual, though my overleveled Braviary managed to defeat Hydreigon. Alder was about as easy as Diantha, though. I blame Emboar for beating half his team. It was overall a very enjoyable experience tearing through Old Unova with the original team. Here's the final team, and the two retirees:

Porky (Emboar), level 77, Blaze ability @Leftovers
Flare Blitz, Hammer Arm, Wild Charge, Strength

Blitzkrieg (Zebstrika), level 76, Lightning Rod ability @Magnet
Wild Charge, Thrash, Overheat, Volt Switch

Blueeye (Basculin), level 77, Rock Head ability @Mystic Water [Yes, the in-game trade one]
Surf, Waterfall, Double-Edge, Crunch

General (Braviary), level 76, Keen Eye ability @Amulet Coin
Brave Bird, Thrash, Superpower, Fly

Toothless (Dragonite), level 77, Inner Focus ability @Draco Plate
Outrage, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Dragon Dance

Watson (Metagross), level 76, Clear Body ability @Quick Claw
Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, Agility

Dream (Musharna), level 51 [retired]
Psychic, Shadow Ball, Hyper Beam, Calm Mind

Crim (Druddigon), level 50 [retired]
Dragon Claw, Crunch, Rock Slide, Strength

Now to take a bit of a break before going into White 2 with that game's first team.

Give him Shadow Ball, it's physical in gen 3 and will help him counter ghost and psychic type.
I taught my Snorlax Shadowball instead to take advantage of his much better Attack stat, with his high HP and Sp. Defense he can decently wall psychic types, and is immune to ghost types. Also, after I buy 1 more Thunderbolt for Lapras I am so done with those Game Corner TMs. But thanks for the suggestion!

Lynx_7

Oh, how I love the GAF method of celebrating a game's anniversary: it was never good/this killed the franchise for me.

DP were by no means perfect but damn, Platinum was good.

Yeah, I think Platinum would be 3rd in my main series ranking. To this day it still feels like one of the meatier Pokemon games alongside BW2. I hope they expand the distorted world storyline when they inevitably remake it
preferably on the NX, let gen 7 be its own isolated thing like gen 5 was

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh, how I love the GAF method of celebrating a game's anniversary: it was never good/this killed the franchise for me.

Don't let Gaming's stupidity and terrible taste get to you.

Rutger

Banned

People love to say negative things more than positive things. :/
I doubt I can go back to DP with its battle speed, but I had a ton of fun when they came out. Platinum polished the experience and was the start of Game Freak's strongest era in my eyes, with HGSS and then Gen V following it.

Cindro

S/M anime definitely going after the Yokai Watch angle. Could turn out pretty good.

http://kotaku.com/the-new-pokemon-anime-looks-so-goofy-1787174159
Yikes. I adore season 1 of YW, but that style of surrealist and whimsical humor is built into that franchise's DNA. Not so with Pokémon - it's the furthest thing I want from the show, as Generations has recently reminded me of all over again. Plus Nate is a much better lightning rod for humor than lame ol' Ash.

Will give it a fair and open minded shot though, no question. Maybe it will pleasantly surprise me, a la something like Teen Titans Go!

Kyzer

Banned

the amount of people saying the same thing should tell you something about the playability of DP lol

I agree Platinum was top notch

Macka

D/P have aged horribly. I mean they weren't too great at the time either, but that was when I first got into online multiplayer and competitive side of things so I still have a lot of fond memories of Diamond. As everyone has said already, Platinum is amazing though. I replayed that earlier this year and was surprised by how great it still is. I got used to the speed pretty quickly, and it's just a great region imo. Some of the HM's are admittedly pretty annoying though.

I didn't really enjoy ORAS or B/W all that much. ORAS should have had the improvements Emerald offered. If not the Battle Frontier, at least the updated Gym Leader teams. It didn't feel like a lot of effort was put into the remake tbh, especially when compared to HG/SS. XY was also a bit lackluster on reflection (at least maingame wise), but the multiplayer kinda makes up for it tbh.

HG/SS, Platinum, Emerald and B2/W2 are the best Pokemon games overall imo. Emerald is surprisingly replayable - I would say the graphics/interface holds up even better than the DS games tbh. It's just the lack of the physical/special split that holds it back a bit. (Hmm, I'm sure there's probably a fan edit that adds that.)

Wiseblade

Like, imagine if we lived in some horrific, tasteless alternate future where Go-Busters became the most popular show on TV and their shades sold out everywhere. How would you feel if the next Kamen Rider show ditched the belt for goggles to try and ride the wave?

Gengahrrr

It's the magazine snippet trying to sell the Z Ring as a Yokai Watch that got to me Poké Balls are already a thing, don't hype up wearables just because the competition has one.

Yokai Watch and Medals sold separately!

Edit: Shit, giant images

1475071812373.jpg

1475071879968.jpg

1475071942629.jpg

1475072004841.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You guys say Yokai Watch, I say Kamen Rider toys lol

then again KR toys tend to be more interactive than that

Wiseblade

http://i.4cdn.org/vp/1475071812373.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.4cdn.org/vp/1475071879968.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.4cdn.org/vp/1475071942629.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.4cdn.org/vp/1475072004841.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Why does the box say "compatible with Sun/Moon"?

I'm scared

ash_ag

The suffix -ium is certainly less suitable for minerals than -ite before it, but I suppose they are trying to keep things elegant. I hope there is a Z-Charizard, so to speak. That would make: Charizardite X, Charizardite Y, and Z Charizardium. :p

Speaking of which, I hope there is a new UI for minerals. Between Evolutionary Stones, Mega Stones and Z-Crystals, they certainly are getting quite a lot. That's something for items in general, they are getting more and more and Game Freak is known for keeping essentially everything game-to-game. UI needs to get more neat and user-friendly, rather than a simple list.

well maybe we will get Meganiumium Z
And in an alternate universe where Megas get unique Z-Crystals as well... Z Mega Meganiumium. :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yikes. I adore season 1 of YW, but that style of surrealist and whimsical humor is built into that franchise's DNA. Not so with Pokémon - it's the furthest thing I want from the show, as Generations has recently reminded me of all over again. Plus Nate is a much better lightning rod for humor than lame ol' Ash.

Will give it a fair and open minded shot though, no question. Maybe it will pleasantly surprise me, a la something like Teen Titans Go!

Yeah I don't like the idea of Pokémon trying to chase after the Yo-kai Watch market, Pokémon is Pokémon and straying away from that path could lead to the downfall of the series.

Granted the Yo-kai watch is kept in the animé and not in the game, so it doesn't bother me too much.

1475071812373.jpg

1475071879968.jpg

1475071942629.jpg

1475072004841.jpg

So obvious that they are trying to appeal to the Yo-kai watch crowd.

You guys say Yokai Watch, I say Kamen Rider toys lol

then again KR toys tend to be more interactive than that

Maybe so but consider this Pokémon didn't start pulling this crap till Yo-kai Watch came into the market.

Does anybody remember that they sold toy Mega Rings and mega stones for X/Y in the same way they selling the Z-Bracelet? I don't think those were Yo-kai watch inspired, considering Yo-kai watch only launched like 2 or 3 months before X/Y. The Z-Bracelet seems like its just continuing the same trend as the Mega Ring.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Does anybody remember that they sold toy Mega Rings and mega stones for X/Y in the same way they selling the Z-Bracelet? I don't think those were Yo-kai watch inspired, considering Yo-kai watch only launched like 2 or 3 months before X/Y. The Z-Bracelet seems like its just continuing the same trend as the Mega Ring.

True but Mega rings weren't the focus and just kept in the background and could only work with select Pokémon whereas with Z-Ring seem to be in the foreground and doesn't seem to have a limit to what Pokémon can't use it. Plus Ash never got a mega ring but he seem to get a Z-ring which he finds on the floor sounds really similar to how the hero of Yo-kai Watch found the watch.

True but Mega rings weren't the focus and just kept in the background and could only work with select Pokémon whereas with Z-Ring seem to be in the foreground and doesn't seem to have a limit to what Pokémon can't use it. Plus Ash never got a mega ring but he seem to get a Z-ring which he finds on the floor sounds really similar to how the hero of Yo-kai Watch found the watch.

I feel like this is only true if you're only talking about the anime. As far as promotion for the games and toys were concerned Mega Evolution was a big deal, and the Mega Ring was part of that.

brinstar

It doesn't matter, people have already decided it's like Yokai Watch so regardless of how similar or not similar it is that's basically gonna be the main criticism for the rest of the generation

Wiseblade

It doesn't matter, people have already decided it's like Yokai Watch so regardless of how similar or not similar it is that's basically gonna be the main criticism for the rest of the generation
The Yokai Watch comparisons come in because that series also has flashy super moves. TPC leaning into that with a wearable toy that lights up when kids do the thing in the game makes this look increasingly reactionary.

The Yokai Watch comparisons come in because that series also has flashy super moves. TPC leaning into that with a wearable toy that lights up when kids do the thing in the game makes this look increasingly reactionary.
This isn't Pokemon's first wearable toy or role-playing accessory, and the Yo-Kai watch toy doesn't connect with the game at all.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I kind of want the Z Ring...

Same but I having a hard time to justify myself buying a kids toy. -_-;

This pretty much, plus the fact that Yo-kai watch is very popular with the kids which makes it look more suspect.

Huh, just realized we didn't get new alolan forms last time

Probably will get more next week as we don't know what Alolan Persian look like.

The Rocket/Galactic themes are live in the US Theme Shop today

Galactic themes and yesterday was Diamond and Pearl 10th anniversary.... OMG Diamond and Pearl remake
not
confirmed.

It will happen eventually hopefully in gen 8 on the NX.

Top Bottom