• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Wiseblade

Isn't Nidoking fairly popular? I also remember Nidoqueen having some niche in competitive play a few generations ago.
Fairly. The introduction of Fairy types made STAB Poison far more useful offensively and Nidoking received a small increase to his Attack stat. He's not ruling the world, but there's a place for him now.

Nah bruh I just meant Nidoran.

NIdorina is tight too.

250px-030Nidorina.png

While I'm still on the subject of underrated Pokemon, I present to you the most underrated of all time.

250px-418Buizel.png

Wiseblade

So I seem to have fully transitioned into Sun/Moon prep when playing OmegaRuby. With my living dex complete, I've transitioned to hunting down interesting Hidden Abilities and catching Ditto every chance I get. At this rate, I'll be able to transfer a full 21 nature set to Alola and keep a smaller set of the 8 key competitive natures in OR to take advantage of the Battle Resort tutors.

ash_ag

So I seem to have fully transitioned into Sun/Moon prep when playing OmegaRuby. With my living dex complete, I've transitioned to hunting down interesting Hidden Abilities and catching Ditto every chance I get. At this rate, I'll be able to transfer a full 21 nature set to Alola and keep a smaller set of the 8 key competitive natures in OR to take advantage of the Battle Resort tutors.

A second Living Dex may also be a good investment of time considering the Gen 6 -> Gen 7 transfer is permanent. :p

I've been thinking about that. I suppose keeping the living Pokédex in Gen 6 isn't really that important, but still.

Kyzer

Banned
sheer force nidoking is my favorite thing to come out of gen 5. (and contrary serperior but thats a whole nother level)

people actually run him with a special set, exchanging his higher atk bst for higher BP attacks with great coverage. but I think ORAS might have made a physical set viable, Im gonna try it

Wiseblade

So let's say I was serious a few weeks ago about making a competitive Pokémon thread. What would it need to include? So far, I'm thinking:

* a simple explanation of EVs/IVs

* a glossary of terms

* a summary of the difference between VGC, Battle Spot and Smogon metagames

* a basic guide to teambuilding

* links to resources for further reading (Nuggetbridge, Smogon etc)

But is it worth including a guide on breeding? How About EV training? Those resources exist elsewhere online, but I'm torn between bloating a hypothetical OP with superfluous information and just making a long list of links that alienates newcomers. When explaining VGC play, which would be the best example to use out of the 2014, 2015 or 2016 seasons?

Even more basic than that, when would the best time to make such a thread be? Now, with advice tailored toward preparation in ORAS for Sun/Moon? After those games release and we have a better understanding of how Hyper Training, Breeding and Z Moves work? Once Bank gets updated and the floodgates get opened?

GoldStarz

Gold/Ethan was in this episode of Generations, so it looks like Red will just be in Gen I eps after all.

i wonder if they'll do a Red vs Gold ep though

lmao

"Giovanni is the most realistic villain" is the dumbest thing I've heard today

???

Gambling at a Game Corner, exploiting Pokémon, Stealing Pokémon, selling Pokémon like slaves for money, attempted corporate take over via taking over Silph Co with man power, infiltrating the Pokémon League by owning his own gym, petty crimes such as breaking and entering, stealing, and most importantly killing Pokémon.

I mean.. I Don't know about realistic but sounds like the fucking mob to me. Team Rocket is my favorite evil team and he's my favorite evil team leader.

Edit: I need to brush up on my lore but didn't he have a hand in the experiment on Mewtwo?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
???

Gambling at a Game Corner, exploiting Pokémon, Stealing Pokémon, selling Pokémon like slaves for money, attempted corporate take over via taking over Silph Co with man power, infiltrating the Pokémon League by owning his own gym, petty crimes such as breaking and entering, stealing, and most importantly killing Pokémon.

I mean.. I Don't know about realistic but sounds like the fucking mob to me. Team Rocket is my favorite evil team and he's my favorite evil team leader.

Edit: I need to brush up on my lore but didn't he have a hand in the experiment on Mewtwo?

that's problem, people forget the context and only look at the villain, forgetting that part of villainy is that you should look at their setting

tell me, is it realistic that a villain would only use mons to those levels if said monsters could destroy buildings in a punch or hypnotize people

L.O.R.D

the new episode animation look weird.

the team rocket goofy-ass walk on the bridge looks very weird.
and dragonite look like Toon world version of blue eyes white dragon from Yugioh.

Daemul

Nothing in Pokemon is realistic, the entire setting makes no sense, Takeshi Shudo(RIP) even said through his blogs that the world was too ridiculous to be taken seriously, so arguing about which elements are more realistic is pointless, its like arguing about which obese person is the fittest.

Anyway, todays episode of Generations was the first one I've enjoyed, probably cause we're finally the fuck away from Gen 1 and into more interesting shit. Gold showing up gives me great hope that Hilda will show up during the Gen 5 parts, I just want her to finally get her chance to be animated :(

Dimmle

If Pokemon ever begins to strive for realism I'll be close to bailing. The whimsical and sincere tone is a major draw for me. I see it as a populist successor to the Mother games in many ways.

KingBroly

Banned
If Pokemon ever begins to strive for realism I'll be close to bailing. The whimsical and sincere tone is a major draw for me. I see it as a populist successor to the Mother games in many ways.

Pokemon Go made the video game lifestyle a reality. Now you gotta catch those Pidgeys at 3am in the morning!

Vena

sheer force nidoking is my favorite thing to come out of gen 5. (and contrary serperior but thats a whole nother level)

people actually run him with a special set, exchanging his higher atk bst for higher BP attacks with great coverage. but I think ORAS might have made a physical set viable, Im gonna try it

Special lets him circumvent Intimidate. He losses little and I believe his special pool is wider and hits hard anyway.

woopWOOP

Nah bruh I just meant Nidoran.

NIdorina is tight too.
Both are some of my favorite Gen 1 monsters.
I tried using Nidorina multiple times for playthroughs, but I ended up swapping her out because she was just too slow/team needed more type coverage/crappy movepool (in the GB original)...
Maybe she can be a decent tank if I use power training and eviolite in a future playthrough.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh we're talking about Nidoking, well I don't wanna brag but my Nido is the best.

CtoLR-jXYAAWxkn.jpg

He was such a powerhouse during the early part of the game before taking a backseat to let his teammate shine.

While I'm still on the subject of underrated Pokemon, I present to you the most underrated of all time.

250px-418Buizel.png

Yeah Buizel is pretty good and was a good Pokémon on my Diamond team.

???

No he didn't, it was a separate project helmed by Fuiji and Blaine.

But honestly speaking the fact that Team Rocket weren't involved or after Mewtwo or legendary Pokémon is why I don't take them seriously as if I was after money and power the first thing I would do is ensure that my team has a legendary Pokémon on our side.

Kneefoil

But honestly speaking the fact that Team Rocket weren't involved or after Mewtwo or legendary Pokémon is why I don't take them seriously as if I was after money and power the first thing I would do is ensure that my team has a legendary Pokémon on our side.

If legendary Pokémon are Pokémon told only in legends, then the stories about them have not been verified. There might not be a good reason for Giovanni to believe in the legends about Mew or the legendary birds. He also may have not learnt about the experiments on Cinnabar, there might have not been any trace of Mewtwo after it went out of control, or after the mansion burned down.

Personally I prefer legendary Pokémon to stay out of the main story. It was cool when it was first done in RSE, but suddenly there are all these young kids bumping into many of the Pokémon of legends in a very short time span, considering that the main series games are supposed to all happen pretty soon after another.

Kyzer

Banned
So let's say I was serious a few weeks ago about making a competitive Pokémon thread. What would it need to include? So far, I'm thinking:

* a simple explanation of EVs/IVs

* a glossary of terms

* a summary of the difference between VGC, Battle Spot and Smogon metagames

* a basic guide to teambuilding

* links to resources for further reading (Nuggetbridge, Smogon etc)

But is it worth including a guide on breeding? How About EV training? Those resources exist elsewhere online, but I'm torn between bloating a hypothetical OP with superfluous information and just making a long list of links that alienates newcomers. When explaining VGC play, which would be the best example to use out of the 2014, 2015 or 2016 seasons?

Even more basic than that, when would the best time to make such a thread be? Now, with advice tailored toward preparation in ORAS for Sun/Moon? After those games release and we have a better understanding of how Hyper Training, Breeding and Z Moves work? Once Bank gets updated and the floodgates get opened?

Sounds awesome, maybe do a common strategies/things to look out for thing where you explain sweeping, taunting, baton passing, etc....I know it took me a long time to learn why I kept losing and its because there are certain things that arent explained in the basics of what metagames are and tiers and stuff, and how you just need to be able to counter and be in the know about things that are commonly used in competitive. This idea would be great, would increase the number of people jumping in after the postgame in SM. I would say now so that people can learn in preparation, but in reality it will be most effective if you put it up right as people are starting to beat SM, because there will be a lot of interest.

We should totally do a GAF gym league again ...

Special lets him circumvent Intimidate. He losses little and I believe his special pool is wider and hits hard anyway.

I've always wondered, is BP > BST?

Kyzer

Banned
The Canipa Effect, the guy who made that spotlight video on XY a couple months back, made a video on the new animation in the Sun and Moon anime. [link]

new Sun/Moon anime looks awesome. I get it, in a way its like the games moving to 3D, they might look a little less polished graphically but the room for growth and the amount of things they'll be able to do increases hugely. That being said, hats off to them for making XYZ probably the most beautiful visuals for any regular TV series anime I've ever seen, it ended up looking better than the movies

Wiseblade

Sounds awesome, maybe do a common strategies/things to look out for thing where you explain sweeping, taunting, baton passing, etc....I know it took me a long time to learn why I kept losing and its because there are certain things that arent explained in the basics of what metagames are and tiers and stuff, and how you just need to be able to counter and be in the know about things that are commonly used in competitive. This idea would be great, would increase the number of people jumping in after the postgame in SM. I would say now so that people can learn in preparation, but in reality it will be most effective if you put it up right as people are starting to beat SM, because there will be a lot of interest.
The thing I'd be afraid of is effectively telling people how to build their teams. I'm not qualified to speak from a preach about the "right" way to play, nor do I want to.

We should totally do a GAF gym league again...

I'm sure someone is already on it. Who is making the Sun/Moon thread, BTW?

I've always wondered, is BP > BST?
It depends. In Nidoking's case his offensive stats are close enough that it doesn't weaken him much.

People using Pokémon for petty crime is at least a refreshing break from the cataclysms that strike the Pokémon world so often.

I mean, if we're being super realistic to Pokémon abilities, wouldn't there be giant structures and weapons people have built to combat legendary Pokémon (no what AZ did is not that; it was a device for something else)? Shouldn't we just be shooting Pokémon out of the sky with giant artillery? It's just silly to say the fictional Pokémon world needs to have the terrible effects of raw Pokémon power on the world at the forefront of it. Especially considering the things they don't and never will do on that front.

Saying "Team Rocket is dumb because they were under-using their Pokémon" is fine but at this point the whole "oh no the legendary is strong and we're in trouble" bit is SO fuckin old and boring. More everyday uses of Pokémon in the plot would at least require some creative enginuity rather than blank-filling with the next legendaries.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hey all. So, I've gone down the living dex route and have gotten pretty far, but I need some baby mons! 16, actually, to complete gen 1. >.> I've been using pokemon y.

Any chance someone could help a dude out?

Wiseblade

Hey all. So, I've gone down the living dex route and have gotten pretty far, but I need some baby mons! 16, actually, to complete gen 1. >.> I've been using pokemon y.

Any chance someone could help a dude out?
Post a list and I'll see what I can do.

Wiseblade

Venonat, mankey, ponyta, seel, drowzee, koffing, staryu, pinsir, porygon, omanyte, kabuto, aerodactyl, cleffa, tyrogue, magby, and happiny!
That's... quite a bit. Come back to me this time tomorrow and I should have at least most of those ready.

Sou Da

Yeah, so I recently went through the whole XY-XYZ series or at least most of it.

It's alright at best imo, I'll just start listing stuff.

The world of Pokemon is still fun to see animated, especially heavy urban areas

I don't understand why Blaziken Man was a thing, what repercussions would he have faced for being a vigilante?

Clemont and Bonnie/Eureka/Whatever were fun and the group was genuinely better when when it was just them and Ash.

Serena is legitimately kind of pathetic, she has nothing to do with herself and decides to go on a journey just to see a kid she had a crush on in a summer god knows how long ago.

Serena not knowing what she wanted to do with herself could have been interesting but she ended up being given this awful,l boring as fuck, focused tested McDonald's Kid's Meal toys for girls contest replacement. It's so fucking disappointing and pander-y, shit I would have rather have gotten an actual royalty plot or something,

Also the "romance plot" in this show comes up like 4 times out of over 100 episodes, the shippers really are some of the most loud overzealous people to discuss pokemon huh?

Ash is boring as hell in this and he annoys more than he should because everyone wants to act like he's god's gift to man in this. People are really praising the hell out of this for him becoming the most generic shounen protagonist alive?

The Pokemon focused episodes are great, Hawlucha, Woobat etc.

Team Rocket will forever be a detrimental crutch and I skip their parts in an episode every single time sans stuff like the protecting Zygarde from Flare. Also, why do they always do a dramatic "Team Rocket should disband, Jessie and James could find a better life" episode per series? It's always good but it's always pointless.

Going back to Clemont and Bonnie, they're best consistently written character and their "gimmicks" don't overstay. Clemont always manages to look genuinely knowledgable and strong and Bonnie manages to always look endearing.

Finally shout outs to some of the minor characters, Shota was alright but he was annoyingly sycophantic towards Ash (also why didn't invest in a strong electric type mega or something? He could have taken out half of Ash's team with that and then just wore down the rest.). Sycamore was alright, Shauna was kind of a nothing character.

Tierno is a loathsome stupid fucking character and I really hate that he of all people in the trio was the "fighting one" I skipped every scene he was in and seeing Ash get fucked up trying to do that awful dancing shit was cathartic.

Also lol Ash has literally never beat Alain after facing him four times and he never will.

Boss Doggie

Well, why wouldn't Ash be praised especially when you consider his pedigree over the other regions? And this is the first time he became a "generic protagonist" that it snaps back as him actually being interesting.

Also I disagree, I like how Serena is different in that she is a homely type character - because god forbid female characters like that exist. And even then she can pull her own leg if it needs to be.

And you just claim about plot when it's more with the interactions than the plot itself, like reactions. I'd argue the Binacle episode had more shipping fodder than most of the romance plots.

Also he isn't really a vigilante, more like a masked, mysterious hero. Even Alexa is interested with her.

As for TR, that's an old Doronbo Gang relic.

Sou Da

Well, why wouldn't Ash be praised especially when you consider his pedigree over the other regions? And this is the first time he became a "generic protagonist" that it snaps back as him actually being interesting.
That's a terrible excuse. They don't really even talk about past accomplishments though, they just fellate him as if every little thing he does is profound.

Also I disagree, I like how Serena is different in that she is a homely type character - because god forbid female characters like that exist. And even then she can pull her own leg if it needs to be.

What do you mean by this exactly?

And you just claim about plot when it's more with the interactions than the plot itself, like reactions. I'd argue the Binacle episode had more shipping fodder than most of the romance plots.

I still say it's so minute that it doesn't warrant anywhere near the amount of discussion it gets, it's about as pronounced or deep as Bonnie's marriage gag.

Boss Doggie

yeah that's from Origin edited.

That's a terrible excuse. They don't really even talk about past accomplishments though, they just fellate him as if every little thing he does is profound.

they talk about his battle skill a lot

What do you mean by this exactly?

Basically while she goes out, she still has that feel of being indoors-y.

There's actually an easier term but apparently people might find it offensive.
Domestic.

I still say it's so minute that it doesn't warrant anywhere near the amount of discussion it gets, it's about as pronounced or deep as Bonnie's marriage gag.

Shippers gonna ship. But like I said, despite the shiptease eps, from my experience people are more likely to reference those than the actual ship episode because they tend to be bait (and even then results with Ash acknowledging her).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Played Fire Red and I defeated the Elite 4.

Honestly speaking while I did enjoy playing FireRed, it's a bland remake as it strays way too close to the original even to point of it being annoying and frustrating at times.

For starters when you start the game you don't get the running shoes till after you defeat Brock and the reason for that is...nostalgia.

The other biggest annoyance is that you're pretty much stuck with the original 151 Pokémon so you can't mix and match your team with the worse part is that the players are locked out of any new evolution that the gen 1 Pokémon got in gen 2, despite the fact that the game has no qualm about dark and steel type existing in the game.

The Kanto remake would have been so much better had it been given the Johto remake treatment.

Anyway my elite 4 battle was fun and tricky as both Bruno and Blue actually switched their Pokémon out.

I am going to spend next week doing the The Sevii Islands post game and take on the revamped Elite 4, then instead of going straight onto Emerald I am going pause my Pokémon run and take a break till Sun and Moon release and continue my run after I beaten Sun and Moon.

Serena is legitimately kind of pathetic, she has nothing to do with herself and decides to go on a journey just to see a kid she had a crush on in a summer god knows how long ago.

Serena not knowing what she wanted to do with herself could have been interesting but she ended up being given this awful,l boring as fuck, focused tested McDonald's Kid's Meal toys for girls contest replacement. It's so fucking disappointing and pander-y, shit I would have rather have gotten an actual royalty plot or something,

Also the "romance plot" in this show comes up like 4 times out of over 100 episodes, the shippers really are some of the most loud overzealous people to discuss pokemon huh?

Agreed, Serena was just bland and boring and her Pokéidol show was pathetic as it put less focus on being creative with Pokémon moves and skills and more on the trainers' skills like cooking or being attractive to a Rhyhorn.

Ash is boring as hell in this and he annoys more than he should because everyone wants to act like he's god's gift to man in this. People are really praising the hell out of this for him becoming the most generic shounen protagonist alive?

Agreed, Ash was just boring with everyone praising just how awesome and amazing he was.

Which is why I liked Sinnoh Ash better as he had Paul to kick him down a peg and mock his training style.

Finally shout outs to some of the minor characters, Shota was alright but he was annoyingly sycophantic towards Ash (also why didn't invest in a strong electric type mega or something? He could have taken out half of Ash's team with that and then just wore down the rest.).

Honestly I felt that Shota should have been a Paul like rival that appeared from the start of the animé.

Tierno is a loathsome stupid fucking character and I really hate that he of all people in the trio was the "fighting one" I skipped every scene he was in and seeing Ash get fucked up trying to do that awful dancing shit was cathartic.

Yeah Tierno just flat out sucks both in the game and in the animé.

That's a terrible excuse. They don't really even talk about past accomplishments though,

That also annoyed me about the Kalos animé, it just feels disconnected from past season as they make zero references about Ash's past or have one of his previous travel partner return for a few episodes.

they just fellate him as if every little thing he does is profound.

The perfect example of this would be during Ash Vs Alian as whenever Ash did something his friends would be like "Oh Ash is amazing!" And when he lost the league they still did it when Ash just laughed it off saying "That's Ash for you."

It was annoying, boring and made them very one note characters.

shounen Ash is boring and was very difficult to like as it seemed like that he had no flaws what so ever and was why I kept dipping in and out of the animé as he made it difficult to watch as I could not connect with him at all.

FR/LG was one of their first, if not THE first, attempt at a remake for an earlier gen, so comparing it to later re-releases in terms of content isn't all that fair.

Mr-Joker

Banned
FR/LG was one of their first, if not THE first, attempt at a remake for an earlier gen, so comparing it to later re-releases in terms of content isn't all that fair.

True, which is why I am not that harsh against them as they clearly learnt from it when they came to do the Johto and Hoenn remake.

Plus FireRed was my favorite gen 3 game and I really enjoyed playing when it was released.

Boss Doggie

People complain about Ash being "generic shonen" yet at the same time want a "generic shonen rival".

Anyway, as much as I peg on HG/SS for missed opportunities I give them praise for actually not going the FR/LG route of "lel lock out evos because muh accuracy, even though we have abilities and new moves in this game!"

Top Bottom