• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IV threads are such a mess, I don't even know why I bother.

talking about Pokemon in Gaming is like asking to walk on, not burning coal, but brimstone, the self assurance despite being ignorant is hilariously depressing

it's like trying to talk to the general public about live action transforming heroes outside of tokugaf, only to be met with idiots who try to sound "educated" with their only avenue being MMPR, and a trend I am noticing recently, KR Black

So I've been working on a little ROM hacking project in the last couple of weeks and I'm looking for some folks to give it a test run.

The hack itself adds the Old Man/MISSINGNO. glitch from RBY into Fire Red.
This includes:
-copying the encounter data from other areas(most notably the Safari Zone) to the encounters on Cinnabar after visiting them
-copying your trainer name to the wild encounter data after watching the Old Man catch a Weedle
-Encountering the gen 3 native glitches ?(double question mark sprite) and ??????????(question mark in circle)
-Adding MISSINGNO. as a new Pokemon and also adding it to the encounters after the Old Man cut scene
-Corrupting the quantity of the 6th item in the regular item bag and the 3rd item in the Poke Ball bag when encountering the above 3 glitches

If you want to give it a shot let me know. I will only be providing patch files, the ROM you have to get yourself.

EDIT: I'll send out links to the patch when I get back from work.

FSLink

Banned
So I've been working on a little ROM hacking project in the last couple of weeks and I'm looking for some folks to give it a test run.

The hack itself adds the Old Man/MISSINGNO. glitch from RBY into Fire Red.
This includes:
-copying the encounter data from other areas(most notably the Safari Zone) to the encounters on Cinnabar after visiting them
-copying your trainer name to the wild encounter data after watching the Old Man catch a Weedle
-Encountering the gen 3 native glitches ?(double question mark sprite) and ??????????(question mark in circle)
-Adding MISSINGNO. as a new Pokemon and also adding it to the encounters after the Old Man cut scene
-Corrupting the quantity of the 6th item in the regular item bag and the 3rd item in the Poke Ball bag when encountering the above 3 glitches

If you want to give it a shot let me know. I will only be providing patch files, the ROM you have to get yourself.

I'd be interested in trying this out.

Wiseblade

"It'd be really cool to have a competitively viable Volcanion..."

*five minutes later*

Modest
31/x/23-24/26-27/31/31

"I'll take it! Wow, that didn't take long at all. This could have gone a LOT worse..."

Busaiku

Are you cereal? Z-moves are super-charged versions of the Gems from Gen V and those things were all over the place.
They didn't really beat out Life Orb or Choice items as the preferred option on most cases though.
I can see Z-Moves working the same way though, I didn't think of that comparison.

Wiseblade

They didn't really beat out Life Orb or Choice items as the preferred option on most cases though.
I can see Z-Moves working the same way though, I didn't think of that comparison.
Or "they were arguably worse than a Life orb or the choice Items and people still used them." Imagine what it'll be like when the boost is massive.

Surprise OHKOs EVERYWHERE.

Busaiku

I mean, it's hard to tell based on the footage we have, but it didn't seem like the neutral Z-Stones were 1 hits if it wasn't super effective.
The best effects seem to be from the signature Z-Stones, but for the Pokemon they've shown them on, they wouldn't really even be as effective, besides Eevee, I guess.

Wasn't it already confirmed that there's one Z-Crystal per type, excluding Pokemon-specific ones?

I wonder if any of the other exclusive Z-moves have extra requirements, like Pulverizing Pancake needing Giga Impact.

Gengahrrr

I wonder if any of the other exclusive Z-moves have extra requirements, like Pulverizing Pancake needing Giga Impact.

I think they're DOA if the requirements go any higher then having a required move to activate them. On the other hand, I could see that as a nice little risk/reward depending on what the Z-move does.

I'm seeing a few mentions of Z-forms being revealed tomorrow.

Daemul

The Canipa Effect, the guy who made that spotlight video on XY a couple months back, made a video on the new animation in the Sun and Moon anime. [link]

Does this mean no more stock animation? Please let this be the case because I swear, if I see Pikachu do the same Thunderbolt animation one more fucking time...

Busaiku

Does this mean no more stock animation? Please let this be the case because I swear, if I see Pikachu do the same Thunderbolt animation one more fucking time...
It's largely been eliminated in since X/Y, though there was more repeating in XYZ.

JoeM86

It's largely been eliminated in since X/Y, though there was more repeating in XYZ.

But the repeating wasn't as noticeable, it was repeating with different backgrounds, not jumping to the anime-style moving background which made it ridiculously noticeable in prior sagas.

woopWOOP

Remember what I said about making a competitive battling thread?

forget about it.
Too bad, it'd be nice to have a thread with a good overview on these things. For every 10 people making snarky driveby posts there'll be one who is genuinely curious but doesn't know where to start and might be helped by such a thread.

Oh, more Pokenews soon? Guess I'll know when to refresh GAF then!

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Speaking of competitive pokemon, anyone knows a good moveset for a Darkrai that's not a Special Attacker? I have already one focused on Sp Attack on ORAS, so now I want to get another Darkrai on my X/Y game with another nature and move set for posteriority. Something like this from Serebii seems good enough?

- Dark Void
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw / Pursuit
- Brick Break / Drain Punch
Item Attached: Life Orb / Expert Belt
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

Or perhaps should soft reset my way with a neutral Nature for versatility?

Speaking of competitive pokemon, anyone knows a good moveset for a Darkrai that's not a Special Attacker? I have already one focused on Sp Attack on ORAS, so now I want to get another Darkrai on my X/Y game with another nature and move set for posteriority. Something like this from Serebii seems good enough?

- Dark Void
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw / Pursuit
- Brick Break / Drain Punch
Item Attached: Life Orb / Expert Belt
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

Or perhaps should soft reset my way with a neutral Nature for versatility?
Is there any point to training a competitive Darkrai in game? Battlespot won't let you use mythicals after all. Even if you play someone with Smogon rules, Darkrai is uber. If you want to play with Darkrai, you might as well use showdown

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Is there any point to training a competitive Darkrai in game? Battlespot won't let you use mythicals after all. Even if you play someone with Smogon rules, Darkrai is uber. If you want to play with Darkrai, you might as well use showdown

Well, I was thinking of using him if given the chance to play on the AG format (or basically just against a friend who likes using whatever legendary pokemons he wants.) But like I said, since I already have a Darkrai with the exact stats/nature that I want on my ORAS save, I was considering perhaps another option so the promo wouldn't go to waste.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah that's not even elitism.

Honestly people are too sensitive nowadays that when their opinion gets merely scrapped they go full on crying. And they said they don't really hold strong opinions online!

Top Bottom