• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Rutger

Banned
fast ranged characters with powerful hitting attacks is a bad balance, usually ranged glass cannons are slow too to compensate for their ridiculous powerful ranged attacks

I always think of archers as fast, evasive ranged fighters with low damage and health, not slow with powerful attacks. At least, that's how they are in the games I play.

Dimmle

Ice puzzles are far superior.
At least the ice puzzle doesn't require me to double back to the PC for an HM user.

Hey, here's a question: why are PCs still tethered to Pokemon Centers? Shouldn't we be withdrawing Pokemon from mobile phones now?

Rutger

Banned
At least the ice puzzle doesn't require me to double back to the PC for an HM user.

Hey, here's a question: why are PCs still tethered to Pokemon Centers? Shouldn't we be withdrawing Pokemon from mobile phones now?

Probably so we can't just use them to heal Pokemon in the middle of routes. They want us to have a reason for using healing items outside of battle.
If they ever took away the box healing Pokemon for some reason they probably still wouldn't give us access wherever because we could swap them out for healthy Pokemon.

Pokemon games may not be difficult, but they probably don't want to give us such an easily exploitable tool.

Dimmle

Probably so we can't just use them to heal Pokemon in the middle of routes. They want us to have a reason for using healing items outside of battle.
If they ever took away the box healing Pokemon for some reason they probably still wouldn't give us access wherever because we could swap them out for healthy Pokemon.

Pokemon games may not be difficult, but they probably don't want to give us such an easily exploitable tool.
Yeah, the game design limitation occurred to me right after asking that. I'm glad they seem to be working around HMs in some way, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I always think of archers as fast, evasive ranged fighters with low damage and health, not slow with powerful attacks. At least, that's how they are in the games I play.
Exactly. I have no idea what games Boss Doggie is playing.
Hawkeye in Mahvel is slow as molasses that you need to input special moves to make him do evasive shit and even then he is a big target.

In ragnarok online archer class have a really dumb high damage output and could only survive due to pumping agility as they lack actual mobility moves.

There's also that archer archetype in champions online that was more dexterity + constitution.

I think you are confusing the rogue character with ranged options than a traditional bowman character

Wiseblade

Hawkeye in Mahvel is slow as molasses that you need to input special moves to make him do evasive shit and even then he is a big target.

In ragnarok online archer class have a really dumb high damage output and could only survive due to pumping agility as they lack actual mobility moves.

There's also that archer archetype in champions online that was more dexterity + constitution.

I think you are confusing the rogue character with ranged options than a traditional bowman character
Archers in Fire Emblem tend to have high evasive skills to compensate for being unable to counterattack at point blank.

Boss Doggie

Oh hey they forgot to reveal these new pocket monster

DecSXud.jpg

Hawkeye isn't slow in Marvel 3, unless you just walk everywhere.

laggy attacks though

Kneefoil

I never thought I'd see an official Pokémon X Dragon Ball crossover, but sure enough, Majin Buu is right there in the front of the pack. I always knew that it was only a matter of time until Wall-E became a Pokémon though.

Rutger

Banned

Rogue characters tend to be the traditional bow user in games though, especially in JRPGs. Rowlet's final evo is definitely taking inspiration from those rogue type classes.

I think of the slower bow users as typically ones with heavy, mechanical bows, and those characters are not the first one to come to mind as traditional bow users personally.
laggy attacks though

Fighting game balance is complicated. Yes, zoners tend to have a lot of cooldown on their zoning options, but that's not the same thing as the character being slow overall, and they tend to have good mobility because they need to make the most of it in order to keep the opponent from getting close.

Rutger

Banned
Rogue characters can also be knife users too, so I can see why you might want to separate them, it's just that I'm used to archers filling that role or something similar to it in the games I play.

So I may try online battling when sun and moon comes and prefer battle singles. Do you build your team based on your six favorite Pokemon or around your main Pokemon?

My favorites were high tier or highly capable for a few years (Kingdra, Ludicolo), so that made things easier for me.
Yea only favorites of mine that may be high tier are greninja, blaziken, and talonflame. My other favorites are noivern, rotom w, barbaracle, scizor, empleon, jolteon to name a few.

Wiseblade

Yea only favorites of mine that may be high tier are greninja, blaziken, and talonflame. My other favorites are noivern, rotom w, barbaracle, scizor, empleon, jolteon to name a few.
You know what? You're okay in my book.

EDIT: Most of those are solid Pokémon. Scizor and Talonflame in particular are hot right now.

WPS

Is that a discount-Emerl I see in that picture?

What's he done to reach the dizzying discount-heights of discount-Megaman, discount-Ivysaur, discount-Bowser, discount-Wall-E and discount-Buu?

Boss Doggie

Is that a discount-Emerl I see in that picture?

What's he done to reach the dizzying discount-heights of discount-Megaman, discount-Ivysaur, discount-Bowser, discount-Wall-E and discount-Buu?

I'm actually shocked it didn't add ripoffs from other mons series

Talonflame is why Kabutops has a permanent slot in my teams now. >:|
Rotom W is also like the best Rotom. Between it, Talonflame and Scizor, you have half a team already.

I used a Rotom in my X replay, and even the regular form is fun to use. Ran a Hex build that carried me through most of the game along with Rhyhorn lol

So I may try online battling when sun and moon comes and prefer battle singles. Do you build your team based on your six favorite Pokemon or around your main Pokemon?

I build a team around useful pokemon, but usually choose a core based on a powerful pokemon that I like or seems interesting. There are more than enough OU/doubles viable pokemon to find a few to build a team off of that you love

Talonflame is why Kabutops has a permanent slot in my teams now. >:|

I used a Rotom in my X replay, and even the regular form is fun to use. Ran a Hex build that carried me through most of the game along with Rhyhorn lol
Yea I'm quite surprised how good talonflame is. I picked him cause his design is awesome imo. One of my favorite bird designs.

I build a team around useful pokemon, but usually choose a core based on a powerful pokemon that I like or seems interesting. There are more than enough OU/doubles viable pokemon to find a few to build a team off of that you love
Yea the biggest thing is narrowing down a team of six. But I think I have an idea on where to go.

woopWOOP

I do like how these new starters' final forms fit pretty well with the RPG character classes the gen6 lot were going for.
So now we got Knight, Wizard, Ninja, Archer, Fighter and... uh, well Dancers are a thing in Fire Emblem so I guess that works.
Depending on the secondary types I might actually make them a team together for a singleplayer playthrough.

Weebos

Banned
I do like how these new starters' final forms fit pretty well with the RPG character classes the gen6 lot were going for.
So now we got Knight, Wizard, Ninja, Archer, Fighter and... uh, well Dancers are a thing in Fire Emblem so I guess that works.
Depending on the secondary types I might actually make them a team together for a singleplayer playthrough.

Popplio is a fancy Bard.

Also that is a really fun idea for a playthrough.

I personally just use Pokémon I like/love reguardless of tiers. I have a great win to lost ratio. I struggle with walls at times but whatever.

I would say to just use Pokémon you like but if you want a more competitive team build a team that could cover each other weaknesses. Or start with your favorite and build around it. The competitive single scene isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

I personally just use Pokémon I like/love reguardless of tiers. I have a great win to lost ratio. I struggle with walls at times but whatever.

I would say to just use Pokémon you like but if you want a more competitive team build a team that could cover each other weaknesses. Or start with your favorite and build around it. The competitive single scene isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

Will do. Now to narrow it down to six. Lol
That's harder than breeding lol

Will do. Now to narrow it down to six. Lol
That's harder than breeding lol

Weavile

Dragonite

Electivire

Gengar or Dusknoir or Sableye or Jellicent F

Volcarona or Magmortar

Milotic when I have a leftovers or Greninja

Mamoswine or Gyarados (Not a big fan of Gyarados)

I traded away my perfect and EV trained Goodra, Blaziken, Scizor, Niovern, Beedrill, Snorlax, Lucario, Glaceon, Galvantula, Ambipom, Gliscor and Reuniclus.

Besides Weavile, Dragonite, and mostly Electivire my bottom three seem to be a revolving door for me to experiment.

I always try to keep 3 Physicals and 3 Specials.

Weavile

Dragonite

Electivire

Gengar or Dusknoir or Sableye or Jellicent F

Volcarona or Magmortar

Milotic when I have a leftovers or Greninja

Mamoswine or Gyarados (Not a big fan of Gyarados)

I traded away my perfect and EV trained Goodra, Blaziken, Scizor, Niovern, Beedrill, Snorlax, Lucario, Glaceon, Galvantula, Ambipom, Gliscor and Reuniclus.

Besides Weavile, Dragonite, and mostly Electivire my bottom three seem to be a revolving door for me to experiment.

I always try to keep 3 Physicals and 3 Specials.

Nice. 3 phyIcals and 3 specials is a good idea.

jnWake

In X/Y I made a competitive team of my favourite ghosts: Bannete (Mega), Dusknoir, Trevenant, Drifblim and Jellicent. I believe none of those are even decent on competitive play. Maybe Dusknoir.

Is this the right place to ask if anyone has a Volcanion Code up for trade? Ive got plenty of shinies and rare Pokemon and whatnot so if anyone can help out it'd be hugely appreciated!

If this isn't the right place to ask then apologies >_<

Boss Doggie

What happened?

basically a few days after the terrorist attack

Clembot has a fresh new memory, so Clemont is a bit shaken. A trainer also challenged the gym who looks like some pallet-swap Ethan/Gold, and it sorta made Clembot excited into fighting again. Sycamore invited them for a party, some emotional stuff with Ash and Alain, etc.

Basically a dialog-heavy ep.

Wiseblade

basically a few days after the terrorist attack

Clembot has a fresh new memory, so Clemont is a bit shaken. A trainer also challenged the gym who looks like some pallet-swap Ethan/Gold, and it sorta made Clembot excited into fighting again. Sycamore invited them for a party, some emotional stuff with Ash and Alain, etc.

Basically a dialog-heavy ep.
Has Greninja bounced to the demo yet?

Top Bottom