• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Haven't played Pokemon yellow in years but is that pikachu pretty strong? Would love to someday have a pikachu that comes close to being as powerful as the one Ash has.

Wiseblade

Haven't played Pokemon yellow in years but is that pikachu pretty strong? Would love to someday have a pikachu that comes close to being as powerful as the one Ash has.
Hell no. Gen I Pikachu is dead weight.it's not even fast enough to really take advantage of how critical hits are tied to speed in those games.

There's a reason the Light Ball exists.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I took on the revamped Elite 4 in FireRed and man they are tough and cunning like for example Lorelei switching out her Dewgong for Piloswine to counter my Jolteon Thunderbolt, though it didn't work as I selected Double Kick.

Though the final battle against Blue will be an event to remember as he did himself in as his Tyranitar sandstream ability ended up backfiring as it ended up knocking out his Arcanine as it had a slither of health and was primed to knock out my Charizard with Extreme speed.

Anyway I had fun playing Pokémon FireRed and the story I came up with and while I may not be jumping straight onto Pokémon Emerald I look forward to continuing my Pokémon Journey when I do.

I don't know about you, but I always end up picking up the third version, so BW2 was really refreshing to me from that view. I can see why it could be disappointing to someone that doesn't usually get these,

Yeah Black and White 2 is more of a an expansion of Black and White just that Game Freak opted to take the sequel route rather than rehash the same story. Honestly speaking I think the sequel route worked better.

but I really hope they do the same if they continue doing third versions.

I wish that Pokémon X and Y got the third version treatment as it really needed it, though it makes me wonder if Sun and Moon will get the third version treatment or will that get skipped over as well.

Hell no. Gen I Pikachu is dead weight.it's not even fast enough to really take advantage of how critical hits are tied to speed in those games.

There's a reason the Light Ball exists.

Yep, I used Pikachu on my Yellow team and he struggled to take out any of Lorelei's Pokémon.

I also had an Eevee on the team and he was stronger and took hits better than Pika, though Pika did have his uses on the team.

So I took on the revamped Elite 4 in FireRed and man they are tough and cunning like for example Lorelei switching out her Dewgong for Piloswine to counter my Jolteon Thunderbolt, though it didn't work as I selected Double Kick.

Though the final battle against Blue will be an event to remember as he did himself in as his Tyranitar sandstream ability ended up backfiring as it ended up knocking out his Arcanine as it had a slither of health and was primed to knock out my Charizard with Extreme speed.

Anyway I had fun playing Pokémon FireRed and the story I came up with and while I may not be jumping straight onto Pokémon Emerald I look forward to continuing my Pokémon Journey when I do.
What was your final team for the rematch? I'm coming up to the Elite 4 rematch myself and I'd be interested to see how my team stacks up to yours (so I know if I'm ready or not).

I caught a Larvitar on Seven Island and I'm in the middle of raising it while VS Seeker grinding. Wondering if I should use it or if I should stick with my original team that took out the E4. Sandstream seems like a pain in the ass.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What was your final team for the rematch? I'm coming up to the Elite 4 rematch myself and I'd be interested to see how my team stacks up to yours (so I know if I'm ready or not).

I caught a Larvitar on Seven Island and I'm in the middle of raising it while VS Seeker grinding. Wondering if I should use it or if I should stick with my original team that took out the E4.

My final team was the same team I was using throughout the adventure;

CuRiKM3WYAASrbC.jpg

Char was holding a leftover

CuRigb0WcAI4WyA.jpg

Was breed and traded over as I wanted a Golduck with Psybeam, he was also holding Mystic Water.

CuRjQI_WEAEdQOS.jpg

Was holding Scope lens

CuRjlceWAAE6FFy.jpg

Was holding King Rock

CuRj5V5WgAADlxV.jpg

Was holding Lax incense

CuRkIYYWcAUZ91U.jpg

Was holding the Leftover.

Protip watch out for Bruno Hitmonchan, it's packing counter and I fell for its trap again when I used Moku against it.

His Machamp also nearly tore through my team as Nido poisoned him which trigger its guts ability and fired earthquake back and Rockslide against Char.

Also Lorelei and Blue switched their Pokémon mid battle, though that might not happen to you.

Also there's a trainer on Seven Island that has a Chansey and a heal spot near by, thus making it a great training spot.

Articalys

So something I was thinking about Sun/Moon. Since I had only rented ORAS, the Rayquaza sitting in my XY box doesn't know Dragon Ascent. And since Mega Stones are still around, will Mega Ray still be a thing too? Do you think there'll be a tutor for the move somewhere in the game, like how they shoved NPCs in XY/ORAS for stuff like the DNA Splicers and Shaymin's Gracidea, or will I have to engage in complex shenanigans like bounce it through a friend that has a completed ORAS file, have them teach it, then find a way to get it to a Bank account of mine to transfer over?

So something I was thinking about Sun/Moon. Since I had only rented ORAS, the Rayquaza sitting in my XY box doesn't know Dragon Ascent. And since Mega Stones are still around, will Mega Ray still be a thing too? Do you think there'll be a tutor for the move somewhere in the game, like how they shoved NPCs in XY/ORAS for stuff like the DNA Splicers and Shaymin's Gracidea, or will I have to engage in complex shenanigans like bounce it through a friend that has a completed ORAS file, have them teach it, then find a way to get it to a Bank account of mine to transfer over?

there will be a tutor, GF has a big list of all the different things that can effect a pokemon that they put in each of there games, Dragon Ascent has probably been added to that list

brinstar

I never got why stuff like Spiky-Ear Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu have to remain shackled to their respective games. They don't seem like they'd take any significant effort to include in future gens

I never got why stuff like Spiky-Ear Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu have to remain shackled to their respective games. They don't seem like they'd take any significant effort to include in future gens

I'm guessing they want them to be special or something like that. I don't really care about Pikachu/Pichu because they really don't improve the Pokemon. Though it looks like Ash-Greninja will have a marker on it and Battle Bond more than likely won't be transferable, since Ash-Greninja is banned from VGC.

Unless Battle Bond is a gimmick ability and doesn't increase Greninja's stats that much, it's kind of a waste.

I can't possibly see how Castform can?

Castform's forms aren't permanent, they depend on the weather and revert after battle.

Edit: Cherrim's as well.

I'm guessing they want them to be special or something like that. I don't really care about Pikachu/Pichu because they really don't improve the Pokemon. Though it looks like Ash-Greninja will have a marker on it and Battle Bond more than likely won't be transferable, since Ash-Greninja is banned from VGC.

Unless Battle Bond is a gimmick ability and doesn't increase Greninja's stats that much, it's kind of a waste.

Castform's forms aren't permanent, they depend on the weather and revert after battle.

Edit: Cherrim's as well.

So I don't think you're original answer addresses the question then. I mean isn't Tornadus trio same way then?

What's the reason behind Shaymin and Hoopa reverting anyway?

Hoopa reverts to it's normal form after a few days anyway because lore. Shaymin reverts at night or when it's frozen, so they probably just couldn't be bothered to let it stay like that in the PC.

Thinking about it, trying to use Shaymin-S online must be a pain sometimes.

Joqu

Hoopa reverts to it's normal form after a few days anyway because lore. Shaymin reverts at night or when it's frozen, so they probably just couldn't be bothered to let it stay like that in the PC.

Thinking about it, trying to use Shaymin-S online must be a pain sometimes.

Thanks, I remembered some story stuff like that about Hoopa, just didn't know it affected storage. And yeah, with Shaymin specifically I remember encountering issues with using it online. Can't put Sky in the battle box, and I guess Unbound's the same?

Can't say I get that stuff. Some flimsy reasoning for not allowing them to get boxed in those forms, why not treat the PC as a suspended state for that stuff. :/

Mr-Joker

Banned

That annoys me as Game Freak make a big deal of allowing player transfer their Pokémon forwards except for those two for some reason.

It's dumb and annoying as I wanted to take Spiky-Ear Pichu into gen 5 but I wasn't able to.

Hydrus

Playing platinum for the first time in since it released. In fact I haven't played a Gen 4 game in probably 8 years and so far its pretty boring. Just got the first badge. Everything just seems so dull. There's like no identity to this game/ region. Will update as I progress.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Playing platinum for the first time in since it released. In fact I haven't played a Gen 4 game in probably 8 years and so far its pretty boring. Just got the first badge. Everything just seems so dull. There's like no identity to this game/ region. Will update as I progress.

1. It's snowy. Especially Platinum.
2. It's the gen with the Attack/Special attack split, which doesn't seem that interesting now but was revolutionary back then.
3. It's got three really solid starters.
4. It's the first generation where the majority of the pokémon you catch have generally good level up movesets. Again not that big of a deal almost a decade later, but it was such an improvement over Hoenn.
5. It's the first generation with ONLINE TRADING...well, it used to have it. Want to get that post game ditto? Here you go. Need something with flame body to hatch eggs faster? Find that too.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
bkWMIYv.jpg

Lurantis is seriously a top-tier Pokemon design, the main reason I'm thinking about going with Litten as my Starter first instead of Rowlet so I can use it as my Grass-type.

Rutger

Banned

I disagree. That would be a great description of how I felt with my return to Hoenn in ORAS, but I started another playthrough of Platinum and I get the opposite feeling, Sinnoh is a great region.

Lurantis is seriously a top-tier Pokemon design, the main reason I'm thinking about going with Litten as my Starter first instead of Rowlet so I can use it as my Grass-type.
The only other complete GX card we've seen so far is Snorlax who had 190 HP, this probably means that Lurantis has some pretty good defenses. Would make sense as its signature move is a charging one.

Hydrus

I disagree. That would be a great description of how I felt with my return to Hoenn in ORAS, but I started another playthrough of Platinum and I get the opposite feeling, Sinnoh is a great region.

Its still early so I'm sure things will change a bit, but I'm not really feeling it. It's been so long that I can't really remember most of the game.

I don't know which is the better water type. Blastoise or Vaporeon.

I never used Bulbasuar before starting this play threw of Yellow. It's a really good Pokémon. He takes hits like a champ, leach seed makes him tanky, and versital for a Gen one with attack and support moves.

Also lol @ LT. Surge "The Lightning American". I never read that sign when I played this year's ago.

Kyzer

Banned
I want a new 8 bit pokemon in the style of RBY for the eshop, complete with old school level design and bag limit, and higher difficulty

Mr-Joker

Banned
So rather than leave Gen 3 unfinished I decided to go straight onto Emerald and I should finish it before Sun and Moon releases where I will pause my run till I finished Sun and Moon and I should continue it in 2017 with the start of gen 4...after I take a little detour with the Orre game first.

bkWMIYv.jpg

At first Lurantis was a sure fire to be in my Sun team but after seeing more new Pokémon I decided to bump her down to reserve.

Plus the Lurantis I want to catch is the totem Lurantis and I am not sure if you can catch totem.

I also still haven't decided on my Water Pokémon, still waiting to see what Pyukumuku evolves into, assuming she has an evolution.

Nah Sinnoh is generic as hell, the lakes are all it has going for it.

Sinnoh also has rich folklores and Mt Coronet.

ash_ag

I want a new 8 bit pokemon in the style of RBY for the eshop, complete with old school level design and bag limit, and higher difficulty

The very thought makes my heart go doki-doki. I truly hope this is something Game Freak will consider some day. They don't have to make it a full release, and they don't have to impose the gameplay limitations of Gen 1 and Gen 2. Even as a section or special mode of a normal release, it would be amazing. The new romhack, Pokémon Prism, looks incredible, but an authentic Game Freak game would be something else.

I do think they should get around to releasing GSC first though. I hope they don't wait until the 20th Anniversary, because I want them on 3DS so that we can use the Time Capsule with the other VC releases. :p

Starmie and Tentacruel have the best movepools for Water-types in RBY although they involve heavy TM usage. Blastoise's is functional (also with TM usage).

Very few Pokémon in RBY have actually good learnsets.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I pulled up my Blastoise from Yellow moveset and he had;

Surf
Ice Beam
Strength
Submission

He was a pretty reliable member and I didn't have worry about babying him, though Saur, my Venusaur and Vee, my Eevee did outshine him.

Very few Pokémon in RBY have actually good learnsets.

Yep, raising a Charizard in gen 1 is a pain as Ember is the last good damaging attack he learn till he learns Slash at level 33 so I had to rely on TM to make him useful in battle.

But the worse part is that he doesn't learn Flamethrower till level 46, so he was stuck with Ember for most of the game.

Thankfully it isn't a problem for me now as all my Charmander come hatched with Flamethrower and in gen 2 and 3 he learnt at level 34.

Though in gen 4-6 they bumped it up to level 47 but at least gave him Fire Fang and Flame Burst in between.

Also another problem with gen 1 moveset is that some Pokémon learn weak moves so late.

Yep, raising a Charizard in gen 1 is a pain as Ember is the last good damaging attack he learn till he learns Slash at level 33 so I had to rely on TM to make him useful in battle.
Gen 1 Charizard and Arcanine actually have the exact same problem of being average until they get Dig. They're both good Pokémon afterwards.

Shit, Charizard can't even learn Fly until Yellow.

Malrend

wut

Sinnoh has the best map layout in the game bar-none

I dunno.
I always found the layout confusing, especially in terms of Diamond and Pearl.
It was a bit better in Platinum, as you got to battle Fantina as the third Gym Leader, but then the progression path following Crasher Wade and the fleeing Team Galactic member becomes even more confusing.

I much prefer Unova, admittedly rather simple, basically just a giant circle.

I've been enjoying reading Smogon in bed (like right now) for the last month and seeing where all the Pokemon rank in tiers. From reading it it sounds like the two biggest things that need nerfs are Scald and Stealth Rock. Almost every single Pokemon that can learn it uses Scald and Stealth Rock cripples so many Pokemon, especially in the lower tiers.

CassSept

I've been enjoying reading Smogon in bed (like right now) for the last month and seeing where all the Pokemon rank in tiers. From reading it it sounds like the two biggest things that need nerfs are Scald and Stealth Rock. Almost every single Pokemon that can learn it uses Scald and Stealth Rock cripples so many Pokemon, especially in the lower tiers.

Well, it's been 10 years since SR had been introduced, I doubt it's gonna be ever nerfed, but who knows.

Wiseblade

Stealth Rock is far more limiting than Scald. Like, Charizard X/Y and Talonflame getting as much play as they do is a testament to just how good they are when there's a strong chance they'll take 50% damage just for switching in.

So I have a code for volcanion and arceus I want to give my daughter on Christmas with her copy of sun. But then it hit me the codes probably only work with the previous games right? So I should get her one of those as well?

Dimmle

So I have a code for volcanion and arceus I want to give my daughter on Christmas with her copy of sun. But then it hit me the codes probably only work with the previous games right? So I should get her one of those as well?
I believe they're only compatible with Gen VI games, yes.

Top Bottom