• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

basically a few days after the terrorist attack

Clembot has a fresh new memory, so Clemont is a bit shaken. A trainer also challenged the gym who looks like some pallet-swap Ethan/Gold, and it sorta made Clembot excited into fighting again. Sycamore invited them for a party, some emotional stuff with Ash and Alain, etc.

Basically a dialog-heavy ep.
Ah so one more episode to go? Then time to drop the anime after that .
Has Greninja bounced to the demo yet?
Lol

Weebos

Banned
In X/Y I made a competitive team of my favourite ghosts: Bannete (Mega), Dusknoir, Trevenant, Drifblim and Jellicent. I believe none of those are even decent on competitive play. Maybe Dusknoir.

Late to the party here, but I stomped fools with Harvest Trevenant in the Kalos dex VGC year.

Nightbird

I just saw that one hour special of the anime that i missed.

And now i'm mad that the games had a similar build up, but completely failed to have such a climax. I mean holy shit, it was epic as fuck.

I'm kinda sad that the new series will leave the serious tone behind now :/

So what episode number is the anime on?

I stopped watching after Ash lost the league. I can't remember what episode that was and don't care to go back and watch them. Just interested in the current most episode.

JoeM86

So what episode number is the anime on?

I stopped watching after Ash lost the league. I can't remember what episode that was and don't care to go back and watch them. Just interested in the current most episode.

Watch the episodes after the league, the Team Flare arc.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was playing Pokémon FireRed and I found this little gem in the Team Rocket hideout on Five Island.

CuGeiZJWcAAuhuD.jpg

That Gen 4 foreshadowing as Magneton and Nosepass evolve via magnetic wave, can't believe that I never saw that till now.

I kind of wish there was a way to do proper online tournaments in Sun/Moon, like elimination modes. I was seeing if you could manipulate it, but it looks like you can only set the number of battles per day in total, not specifically wins/losses.

Wichu

So I was playing Pokémon FireRed and I found this little gem in the Team Rocket hideout on Five Island.

That Gen 4 foreshadowing as Magneton and Nosepass evolve via magnetic wave, can't believe that I never saw that till now.
I think that's meant to be a reference to the Lake of Rage plot in Gold/Silver. The gen 4 connection is just a (probably unintentional) bonus.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I think that's meant to be a reference to the Lake of Rage plot in Gold/Silver. The gen 4 connection is just a (probably unintentional) bonus.

That's what I thought at first but the Lake of Rage plot was with radio wave and not Magnetic Wave.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I like the touch that Clemont is camera shy, they were really good at using that gag sparingly yet efficiently.

I need some help putting a couple of Tutor Moves into my Gothitelle, anyone can help me? It's in ORAS, but I can't do it since I still am at the 8th Gym and there is a long road till I hit the Battle Resort

I need to put Trick Room and Helping Hand, anyone that can do it? Have TCGO Codes if someone wants it for it

I like the touch that Clemont is camera shy, they were really good at using that gag sparingly yet efficiently.
Agreed. Really gonna miss this group. Really liked Shota/Sawyer too. I would love another version of xy that allowed you to battle shota and Alain and do the Kalos league.

Question. Do the DVD sets have the Japanese version with subtitles like DBZ used to do?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's never been an official release of the Japanese version outside of Japan as far as I know. Pokemon's really behind on that.

Closest is the Jirachi DVD having part of the Japanese theme Chiisaki Mono mixed into the dubbed theme, Make a Wish.

ciD_Vain

Does anyone have Stored Power Eevee and a Wish/Soft-Boiled Clefairy they want to trade me? :D I have nothing really awesome to offer :(

I wanted a Pokemon with Defog so I bred a Calm Piplup in Diamond and taught it Defog. I also gave it the nickname "Str8Pimpin". However, I didn't realize that you couldn't transfer him to Black because Defog was an HM and I would first need to trade him to HG/SS which I don't have and then transfer up. That pretty much defeated the point of getting a Gen IV Piplup since I could breed a 5IV one faster in OR/AS that would have the same moves. But I was attached to the nickname and he was now an Elite 4 Champion so I thought I'll transfer him anyway. Then I got a message in Pokemon Transporter saying one of the nicknames was inappropriate and when I checked in Bank its nickname was removed. I never knew that was a thing. Did they just introduce a censoring of nicknames in Gen VI?

StoneFox

I wanted a Pokemon with Defog so I bred a Calm Piplup in Diamond and taught it Defog. I also gave it the nickname "Str8Pimpin". However, I didn't realize that you couldn't transfer him to Black because Defog was an HM and I would first need to trade him to HG/SS which I don't have and then transfer up. That pretty much defeated the point of getting a Gen IV Piplup since I could breed a 5IV one faster in OR/AS that would have the same moves. But I was attached to the nickname and he was now an Elite 4 Champion so I thought I'll transfer him anyway. Then I got a message in Pokemon Transporter saying one of the nicknames was inappropriate and when I checked in Bank its nickname was removed. I never knew that was a thing. Did they just introduce a censoring of nicknames in Gen VI?
Yeah, since the games are online, they have a censor for nicknames now. Even nicknames such as "Spike" (which I wanted to name my Rhydon) are censored because parts of the word make a bad word.

Game Freak just knows that kids play the games so they are covering themselves from a "My kid learned swear words from playing Pokemon!" situation. It sucks, but the censorship is likely here to stay. In Gen V you couldn't trade an un-nicknamed Cofagrigus because the censors detected a certain word in the middle.

Wiseblade

Empoleon can't learn Defog outside of DPPt, so that song & dance was kind of necessary.

As for the nickname, there's been a language filter since at least Gen V, but it was only used on the GTS IIRC.

Empoleon can't learn Defog outside of DPPt, so that song & dance was kind of necessary.

As for the nickname, there's been a language filter since at least Gen V, but it was only used on the GTS IIRC.
I think I was unclear I meant that now that my Empoleon would not have Defog it would not have an advantage over a Gen VI one. So now I will have hope that it will return in Gen VII.

Guess I should have checked here first. Hopefully I'll be able to call my Empoleon in Moon "Da Hustler".

Wiseblade

Looking at the official Sun-Moon minisite, it looks like Ash-Greninja will be banned from Battle Spot's successor. Which almost confirms that Battle Bond is not a second standard ability or a replacement of Protean as Greninja's hidden ability, but rather a one-off. This lends further credence to the idea that this is another Cosplay Pikachu; a sterile one-off that can't be transferred forward on Bank. A shame really, the idea of having a Mega Evolution, a Primal Reversion and a Bond Phenomenon on the same team sounds terrible in the best way.

Ha.. love stuff like this.

I guess Red does talk, atleast in Pokémon Yellow.

When you first start the game and go down stairs and click on the TV. He gives a discription on what he sees on TV and ends it by saying "I better go too" So Reds only lines besides. "..." is the TV discription.

I never noticed that before.

One thing that concerns me is transferring certain Pokemon from my virtual console Red to Sun and Moon. I used the fly glitch to get a Mew in game, but since there's no legit way to get him in this version I wonder if I won't be able to transfer it.

brinstar

Ha.. love stuff like this.

I guess Red does talk, atleast in Pokémon Yellow.

When you first start the game and go down stairs and click on the TV. He gives a discription on what he sees on TV and ends it by saying "I better go too" So Reds only lines besides. "..." is the TV discription.

I never noticed that before.

You can also hear what he's saying when you talk to the girl who mimics you, I forget what town it's in.

The protags talk. Hell, just go to the duplicate girl's house

You can also hear what he's saying when you talk to the girl who mimics you, I forget what town it's in.

I never noticed these. Makes sense though since it's been about 19 years since I played Yellow and never paid much attention to this kind of stuff back then.

With that I decided to stop my play threw of Yellow. The demo is out in a week and a half and the game is out in 5 and a half weeks. Don't want to burn myself out.

Dimmle

I finished Black 2 this week and covered my last blind spot with the main series. My opinion on the game is mixed.

Returning to Unova after being away for so long was nice, but I can't imagine being engaged by the single player game only a year after the the original gen 5 releases. Although the "two years later" conceit is interesting on paper, the scenario doesn't go much deeper than "Team Plasma is back!" Some towns have changed to varying degrees, but all in all it feels primarily like an attempt to make one more quick buck with the gen 5 assets. Some instances of dialogue haven't even changed (namely, the E4).

Although most of the story falls flat, I did enjoy the flashback vignettes that familiar faces share with you on your journey. Some of them do little but service the stark narrative of Team Plasma's resurgence but others provide endearing color to the gym leaders and assorted cast. What's more, the gym design is particularly spectacular; it might be the high point of the series in that regard. Each gym expresses its aesthetic to the fullest extent possible through the concerted effort of its music, environment, and puzzle design.

From a value perspective, I'd probably recommend B2W2 over the originals even if the scenario is significantly less interesting. It's essentially the equivalent of gen 2's return to Kanto with 200% more content and half as many meaningful changes from your last visit to the region.

Oh, and your rival is a dope, again.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I finished Black 2 this week and covered my last blind spot with the main series. My opinion on the game is mixed.

Returning to Unova after being away for so long was nice, but I can't imagine being engaged by the single player game only a year after the the original gen 5 releases. Although the "two years later" conceit is interesting on paper, the scenario doesn't go much deeper than "Team Plasma is back!" Some towns have changed to varying degrees, but all in all it feels primarily like an attempt to make one more quick buck with the gen 5 assets. Some instances of dialogue haven't even changed (namely, the E4).

Although most of the story falls flat, I did enjoy the flashback vignettes that familiar faces share with you on your journey. Some of them do little but service the stark narrative of Team Plasma's resurgence but others provide endearing color to the gym leaders and assorted cast. What's more, the gym design is particularly spectacular; it might be the high point of the series in that regard. Each gym expresses its aesthetic to the fullest extent possible through the concerted effort of its music, environment, and puzzle design.

From a value perspective, I'd probably recommend B2W2 over the originals even if the scenario is significantly less interesting. It's essentially the equivalent of gen 2's return to Kanto with 200% more content and half as many meaningful changes from your last visit to the region.

Out of the two generation that I am looking forward to replaying the most are gen 4 and gen 5.

And honestly speaking I felt that Black and White 2 was a perfect way to not only close generation 5 but also goodbye to 2D and sprite of Pokémon that we knew and loved since gen 1.

The trainer talks the same way link talks. Ellipses and inferences that something was just said

brinstar

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of this. I have to do a replay of B/W2, because I felt weird about them the first time I played and I'm a huge Black and White fan. I love all the bonus stuff in the game but the actual main quest left me wanting. 100% agree with the aesthetics of the gyms though, that was really impressive.

One thing I can't believe this game missed was the opportunity to do a Hilbert/Hilda final boss fight like Red. They even implemented the tech where you can have the game read your B/W file and reference your trainer from that, so it would've been great to have them as a final boss with the team you used to clear the Elite 4.

Mr-Joker

Banned
One thing I can't believe this game missed was the opportunity to do a Hilbert/Hilda final boss fight like Red. They even implemented the tech where you can have the game read your B/W file and reference your trainer from that, so it would've been great to have them as a final boss with the team you used to clear the Elite 4.

Yeah that would have been neat and I am baffled to why they didn't do that.

Dimmle

Out of the two generation that I am looking forward to replaying the most are gen 4 and gen 5.

And honestly speaking I felt that Black and White 2 was a perfect way to not only close generation 5 but also goodbye to 2D and sprite of Pokémon that we knew and loved since gen 1.
Taken in that context I agree. They're a great representation of the series identity leading up to that point. They're only disappointing when viewed as a sequel to BW.

I was absolutely expecting this much for a while. That would have been exactly what the game needed to feel like a substantive sequel. As it is, NPCs just keep referencing "2 years ago" and praising "that trainer." It feels superficial.

Rutger

Banned
Taken in that context I agree. They're a great representation of the series identity leading up to that point. They're only disappointing when viewed as a sequel to BW.

I don't know about you, but I always end up picking up the third version, so BW2 was really refreshing to me from that view. I can see why it could be disappointing to someone that doesn't usually get these, but I really hope they do the same if they continue doing third versions.

Dimmle

I don't know about you, but I always end up picking up the third version, so BW2 was really refreshing to me from that view. I can see why it could be disappointing to someone that doesn't usually get these, but I really hope they do the same if they continue doing third versions.

Yeah, I've actually never purchased any of the third versions beyond Pokemon Yellow (I was a kid in the throe of first-wave Pokemania) because I'm usually good on Pokemon for a while after each initial release. B2W2 are definitely closer to a Platinum than a full sequel. I can see that.

Top Bottom