• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Wiseblade

Scald is really good. But my personal beef is more that there's no Special equivalent to Burn's Attack reduction or the way Iron Barbs/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet disproportionately hinders Physical attackers.

Chase17

Scald is really good. But my personal beef is more that there's no Special equivalent to Burn's Attack reduction or the way Iron Barbs/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet disproportionately hinders Physical attackers.

I still am waiting for the special equivalent of intimidate

GoldStarz

I still am waiting for the special equivalent of intimidate

There's honestly way too many detractors with Physical Attacks right now, they need to make a special equivalent of Contact and Intimidate to get it to all balance out.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I dunno.
I always found the layout confusing, especially in terms of Diamond and Pearl.
It was a bit better in Platinum, as you got to battle Fantina as the third Gym Leader, but then the progression path following Crasher Wade and the fleeing Team Galactic member becomes even more confusing.

I much prefer Unova, admittedly rather simple, basically just a giant circle.

Interesting as Game Freak simplified future region due to players like you finding Sinnoh too hard.

What was it about Sinnoh did you find hard to navigate as the region is pretty simple to explore.

I didn't know Scald got you out of being Frozen. That's badass.

Flame Wheel, Sacred Fire, Flare Blitz, Fusion Flare, Scald, and Steam Eruption also get you out of being frozen.

Also being hit by a fire attack will get you out.

Malrend

Interesting as Game Freak simplified future region due to players like you finding Sinnoh too hard.

What was it about Sinnoh did you find hard to navigate as the region is pretty simple to explore.

Had to look up a map as it has been quite a while.
Essentially, it doesn't feel like there is any single logic to the route we're taking.
Ignoring all of the smaller towns that might still have story events in them and just focusing on the crossroads (asterisks) and gym towns, the route is like this:

Twinleaf -> Jubilife* -> Oreburgh -> Jubilife -> Eterna -> Hearthome* -> Route 210* -> Veilstone -> Route 213* -> Pastoria -> Route 210* -> Jubilife* -> Canalave -> Two of the lakes -> Mt. Coronet* -> Snowpoint -> Veilstone -> Route 213* -> Sunyshore - > League

The good part about it, is that we get more intimate with the map, as we do have to visit some locations multiple times. And interconnectivity is never a bad thing.

The confusing part comes from the same token though.
Half the time I didn't know where to go because I had already been more or less everywhere that I could reach, and the NPCs were very vague in terms of any hints to new locations.

The biggest sinners in this regard being after Pastoria and getting the headache medicine for the Psyducks on Route 210 and having to infiltrate Galactic HQ in Veilstone after the final lake near Snowpoint.
In both cases you get a bit of dialogue but in neither is it clear that what they're talking about is the next step of the journey.

That said, Sinnoh is the only region where the map managed to confuse me at times.
I like Unova's map for being simple, but the lack of interconnectivity between the various townships is terrible, same for Kalos.

I recently moved to a city, feels good to be able to just take a short walk to gamestop to get a code, I never have to worry about missing and event Pokemon again!

Flame Wheel, Sacred Fire, Flare Blitz, Fusion Flare, Scald, and Steam Eruption also get you out of being frozen.

Also being hit by a fire attack will get you out.

This is all new to me. When I played the original Gen 1 and 2 when they first released I've never seen this.

Coming back with Gen 6 I have yet to freeze someone or be frozen and I played all games in Gen 6 alot.

This must be a thing that must've happened in between Gen 2 and 6 because I didn't play any of those games.

Seil

This is all new to me. When I played the original Gen 1 and 2 when they first released I've never seen this.

Coming back with Gen 6 I have yet to freeze someone or be frozen and I played all games in Gen 6 alot.

This must be a thing that must've happened in between Gen 2 and 6 because I didn't play any of those games.

Being hit by a fire attack has worked since Gen I, and I know Flame Wheel and Sacred Fire work in Gen II.

Sou Da

"Terrify" would be a good name for the special equivalent of Intimidate.

Psych Out, In Battle: When a Pokémon with Psych Out enters the battle, it lowers the Special Attack stat of all adjacent opponents by one stage.

Out of Battle: If a Pokémon with Psych Out is leading the party, there is a 50% chance that a Pokémon that would be encountered will not appear if its level would be 5 levels or more below the leading Pokémon's.

"Terrify" would be a good name for the special equivalent of Intimidate.

Yeah it would. I completely agree that there's too many negatives to running physical attackers at the moment. I've ran into way too many teams of Scrafty with Arcanine or Landorus. One switch out and your attack power is cut in half. It's really punishing and forces you to either use a poke with competitive or more special attackers.

Daemul

I've been enjoying reading Smogon in bed (like right now) for the last month and seeing where all the Pokemon rank in tiers. From reading it it sounds like the two biggest things that need nerfs are Scald and Stealth Rock. Almost every single Pokemon that can learn it uses Scald and Stealth Rock cripples so many Pokemon, especially in the lower tiers.

Stealth Rock will never be nerfed because it isn't an issue in the officially supported meta, Stealth rocks being so overcentralising in the Smogon meta is a problem largely of Smogon's own doing.

Scald isn't much of an issue tbh, it keeps the ridiculous physical attackers in check, though it does suck that the non-broken physical attackers seem to keep getting continuously neutered. Nothing is more hilarious than beating a Ferrothorn 1v1 with Suicune due to Scald though, the salt from the opponent always overflows.

Yeah I think I might start using Scald more. The only reason I haven't is because I really want that extra bit of power from Surf and Hydro Pump's accuracy has failed me more often than not.

Yeah I think I might start using Scald more. The only reason I haven't is because I really want that extra bit of power from Surf and Hydro Pump's accuracy has failed me more often than not.

It's definitely worth it. The amount of times my Milotic has stopped an opponent from ko'ing her teammate with burn is nothing to scoff at. Plus her being more of a special defense wall it definitely helps her eat more attacks.

CrimsonN0

Hmm, would this be the best place to ask if someone can help me trade evolve my Phantump and Boldore? Kind of just realized they've just been sitting around unvevolved for a while. I think I bred them all the way in X and just forgot them in Omega Ruby.
Also, any good way to get Magmarizer/Electirizer without using my precious BP. Gotta evolve those two some time as well.

Busaiku

Special is countered moreso by stats and stuff like Assault Vest than abilities/attacks.
There are a bunch more Special walls than Physical ones.

JoeM86

Was there an admission fee before? I've never been to one, but I've never heard of Worlds or a regional requiring a fee.

Are the non-Worlds tournaments organized by third parties now? That may be the reason.

Nope and this tournament is 100% TPCi

They did add money prizes now, so that makes sense, but for it to be more than the cost of the game to enter one competition, when ideally you enter all four and do well to qualify for Worlds? No, that's not acceptable IMO

Yikes, I don't even know what to say.

I was already concerned about the travel and living fee (which to be fair, is not anybody's fault), but if there's gonna be a hefty admission fee on top of that... Well, I'm not exactly made of money : /

Puruzi

Banned
4l9gKxV.jpg

OH SHIT ALOLAN GEN 2 AND 3 MONS

boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Skarmory is not from Gen III among other things.
The one I always forget is Slugma, and it's entirely because not only was it only on Cycling Road, it also wasn't on-model in G/S. Meditite has gotten me a few times too, and even seems to have gotten Game Freak themselves (available with Sinnoh Sounds in HGSS).

Oof
https://www.pokemon.com/uk/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/16-12-000022/

The European International Championships cost £40 to register

That is horrific.
Yeah, that's pretty terrible for most people. For me it's actually better though as it's in London where I live during term which means I don't have to travel there (which would have cost £40 anyway given the cost of our trains, not to mention accommodation) and it's in early December not May as was usual for the UK Nationals which is during my exam period so this may actually be the first National/International competition I am able to enter in quite a few years.

Rutger

Banned
I'm always surprised to hear people think Skarmory is from Gen III. Gen II is one of my favorites though.

I have to keep reminding myself that Carnivine isn't from Gen III though.

brinstar

Skarmory was originally a version exclusive with a 5% appearance rate on one route, so it doesn't surprise me that people think it's from Gen 3 where it at least appears in both games (still equally as rare though). Also a Gym Leader in Hoenn uses Skarmory.

Same with Slugma, instead of being shoved all the way in Gen 2's Kanto for god-knows-what-reason, Slugma is front and center in Hoenn in one of the most memorable areas of the game, and is used by a Hoenn leader.

Wiseblade

I'm always surprised to hear people think Skarmory is from Gen III. Gen II is one of my favorites though.

I have to keep reminding myself that Carnivine isn't from Gen III though.
It's a surprisingly common misconception stemming from it being more common in RSE than GSC.

Rutger

Banned
I can understand that.

But it was always one of the stand out Gen II Pokemon to me, so it's just strange for me to hear, even if it really shouldn't be.

Being hit by a fire attack has worked since Gen I, and I know Flame Wheel and Sacred Fire work in Gen II.

I didn't know this back then or didnt realized it, I always waited to be unfrozen or switched out.

I don't know about anyone else but I rarely got frozen or froze a NPC Pokémon in the Gen 1 and 2 games and I didn't really battle anyone.

Learned something new.

Edit: I remember freezing Lugia once and I threw Ultra Ball after Ultra Ball and fell asleep irl trying to catch him only to wake up with enough time to throw one last Ultra ball which caught him and save before the batteries went dead.

Might've been a different Poké ball. Can't remember.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Been playing Pokémon Emerald and defeated Brawly, man Sableye makes it so easy as none of his Pokémon can touch him. >:D

Anyway I find it so stupid that Emerald carried over the Kanto remake nonsense of no trading Pokémon outside the Hoenn Pokédex, including egg till you beat the main game.

Though thankfully due to Game Freak fuck up I can bypass this dumb rule by using Colosseum.

Oof
https://www.pokemon.com/uk/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/16-12-000022/

The European International Championships cost £40 to register

That is horrific.

Well then I guess I am never going to one of these event if they are charging for entrance fee.

4l9gKxV.jpg

OH SHIT ALOLAN GEN 2 AND 3 MONS

boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I doubt it as they would have shown us a non gen 1 Alolan form by now.

Still dumb how they make it that Alolan form are Pokémon that have adapted to Alola climate but yet it's only gen 1 Pokémon that gets that treatment.

FSLink

Banned
I didn't know this back then or didnt realized it, I always waited to be unfrozen or switched out.

I don't know about anyone else but I rarely got frozen or froze a NPC Pokémon in the Gen 1 and 2 games and I didn't really battle anyone.

Learned something new.

Most of us who did figure it out on our own in Gen 1 realized it because there was absolutely no way to be unfrozen outside of being hit by a fire attack at the time. Thank god they nerfed the shit out of being frozen lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh so Serena
didn't accept Yashio/Palermo's offer

She is heading instead to Hoenn.
Well at least she avoided the train to Johto.

Menitta

Ahh so Serena
didn't accept Yashio/Palermo's offer

She is heading instead to Hoenn.
Well at least she avoided the train to Johto.

I remember as a kid before I was way into Pokemon and the anime was on TV, every time, someone was talking about Johto or the Johto League and I had built a narrative in my head that was "Yeah man! Johto's the real shit!"

Top Bottom