• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

L.O.R.D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawFb1MoWio

200px-Sun_Moon_Kiawe.png

apparently,Kiawe is voiced by Yuichi Nakamura,the only one i recognized his voice.

kZ0zapr.jpg

also N.

GoldStarz

But the ideas behind contests (showing off your bond with Pokemon by showing off your Pokes; showing off yourself is frowned upon) and the Pokethalon (showing off yourself w/ Pokemon acting as backup to make you look good) are pretty much totally different? Did the writers not remember this?

Originally my team was going to be
Litten or rowlet
Pikapek
Vikavolt
Salandit
Nightrock
Ash Greninja
But now after seeing Jangmo I need to drop someone. May have to drop Vikavolt.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Originally my team was going to be
Litten or rowlet
Pikapek
Vikavolt
Salandit
Nightrock
Ash Greninja
But now after seeing Jangmo I need to drop someone. May have to drop Vikavolt.

Just rotate Vikavolt out when you catch Jangmo-o as Grubbin is one of the Pokémon that you can catch early in the game.

Plus don't forget that Super-Greninja will be a traded Pokémon so he will be disobedient, though I don't how they will handle that with gyms not being a thing.

Just rotate Vikavolt out when you catch Jangmo-o as Grubbin is one of the Pokémon that you can catch early in the game.

Plus don't forget that Super-Greninja will be a traded Pokémon so he will be disobedient, though I don't how they will handle that with gyms not being a thing.
You raise a good point about the obedience issue.

So far for my Sun or Moon Team:

Rowlet Grass/Flying, depending if he's the fastest starter

Jangmo-O Dragon/Fighting, love his evolution line

Type: Null Any type I need to balance my team and I love his evolution

Wimpod Water/Bug, only if his final evolution is badass

Salandit Fire/Poison, depends on if I like it's final evolution

Alolan form. Haven't decided which one yet.

If I end up not liking Salandit or Wimpod final evolution I'll switch them out with some other new unannounced Pokémon.

Was doing some aimless searching today and managed to find a very old Japanese Pokemon site that was mostly about glitches, but on it was someone's impressions of the Pokemon Gold Spaceworld 97 demo, which is something a few people on here have been interested in over the years. Google translate is rough, but there's quite a few previously undocumented Pokemon/early names for Pokemon from Gen 2.
ヨロイドリ (Yoroidori)- Only mentioned on the PC in some sort of flavor text thing that went unused, described as Flying and Steel. Likely an early Skarmory.
サニー (Sunny)- Mentioned to be in the demo area's grass, described only with the word "flower". Likely Sunflora, but with a Japanese name similar to Corsola (Sunnygo) which may be why the former was changed.
プクー (Pukuu)- Writer was unsure of what this was, but said it looked like a flying squirrel. It's possible that this was an early Sentret.
ペインター (Painter)- Was only seen in the on-site trailer playing, but it's pretty obvious that this is an early Smeargle.
アクア 、 アクエリア 、 アニモン 、 イカリ (Aqua, Aquaria, Animon, Ikari)- These were seen in the same trailer in the Pokedex, likely only as names. Unown was between Animon and Ikari, so it may be that Aqua and Aquaria are Wooper and Quagsire due to their current positions.

Edit: Added a link to the 2010 thread, seems like Puku and Sunny were mentioned there. The others are still unheard of.

Jay RaR

People posting pokes they wanna use...

and here I am hoping the game gives me nice Pokes to use on my pseudo-Nuzlocke Moon run lol.

I really should catch up on the anime this weekend.

I want a Serana spin off :/

As for Ash ... I'm actually really liking this change. I'll take a slice of life adventure over journey to no where anytime after that shit show of a finally.

GoldStarz

I really should catch up on the anime this weekend.

I want a Serana spin off :/

As for Ash ... I'm actually really liking this change. I'll take a slice of life adventure over journey to no where anytime after that shit show of a finally.

The problem was more that they were hyping an Ash win that was never going to happen than the League was bad (although the Alain vs Trevor fight and Goodra being a complete jobber was total bullshit tbh)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Okay so hilarity time.

Lilie's VA in the SM anime is Kei Shindo

Kei Shindo voiced someone in XY

It's Millefeui / Miette

heh...

V7FfTAz.png

Wiseblade

OLIVIA THO

Clearly someone at GF saw how successful Overwatch is and decided to give Sun and Moon the Waifu treatment.

I welcome this development.

Chase17

On one hand rainbow muk is hideous. On the the other hand that doesn't stop me from loving it. Best alolan form hands down.

Anyways we need less waifus (at least when it comes to the Pokémon) and more mons with scarfs.

Gladion is hilarious and I'm already prepared to declare him the best new character.

Rutger

Banned
And just like real life, Generations must leave the wonderful gen II for the disappointing gen III.

This one was all about Team Magma, so I guess we'll see one on Team Aqua, and then one on Zinnia.
I welcome hearing Zinnia's themes again at least if that's the case.

Rutger

Banned
Urge to make thread rising...

Let me guess
"poor distribution of new Pokemon, an odd level curve, Kanto isn't as large as it was"?

I know about Gen II's shortcomings, it's not perfect and the further back we go the clunkier these games get. Honestly, I don't have much interest in replaying a game made prior to Platinum.

But yeah, I'll stand by my opinion that Gen II is a better game than Gen III. Some are subjective reasons, I think Gen II has a far better set of new Pokemon and a far better soundtrack. However I think that Johto is a more interesting region to explore(not having to surf on a third of it helps) and the cut down Kanto region is still a fun post-game area, and I value it more than the gimmicky Battle Frontier.

I recently played through Soul Silver again, after a playthrough of ORAS, my opinion on Johto being one of the best regions and Hoenn being the worst did not change, this is not me being blinded by nostalgia. I guess you can complain about me not having a fresh view of GSC, but I don't think it matters, just how Platinum is the definitive Sinnoh experience, HGSS are the definitive Johto experience, it would be silly to judge a region on an earlier, clunkier game.

Still, if they ever release Crystal on VC I'm sure I'd enjoy it more than another playthrough of Emerald.

I just started playing Emerald for the very first time (I'm sort of making a comeback to Pokemon after being gone for a very long time), and with the exception of my Mudkip, I don't have the desire to train any of the Pokemon I've caught or encountered. I've only just completed the first gym so it's still very early in the game, but so far it has been pretty disappointing. Also, none of the music has left an impression on me.

Hydrus

Let me guess
"poor distribution of new Pokemon, an odd level curve, Kanto isn't as large as it was"?

I know about Gen II's shortcomings, it's not perfect and the further back we go the clunkier these games get. Honestly, I don't have much interest in replaying a game made prior to Platinum.

But yeah, I'll stand by my opinion that Gen II is a better game than Gen III. Some are subjective reasons, I think Gen II has a far better set of new Pokemon and a far better soundtrack. However I think that Johto is a more interesting region to explore(not having to surf on a third of it helps) and the cut down Kanto region is still a fun post-game area, and I value it more than the gimmicky Battle Frontier.

I recently played through Soul Silver again, after a playthrough of ORAS, my opinion on Johto being one of the best regions and Hoenn being the worst did not change, this is not me being blinded by nostalgia. I guess you can complain about me not having a fresh view of GSC, but I don't think it matters, just how Platinum is the definitive Sinnoh experience, HGSS are the definitive Johto experience, it would be silly to judge a region on an earlier, clunkier game.

Still, if they ever release Crystal on VC I'm sure I'd enjoy it more than another playthrough of Emerald.

Preach! Going from Gen ll to Gen lll was one of my most disappointing gaming experiences ever. Jumping into Silver version for the first time after playing the hell out of RBY was amazing! They topped everything from the previous gen and set the bar so high. Then when RS got released, I was so hyped to see what they could do with the GBA, ( Especially after playing Golden Sun) and thought they were gonna blow GSC out of the water. Then I got the game. Beat it in a week and never wanted to touch it again. Basically killed my interest in PKM, until DP came out. I really liked the Pokemon designs, but hated everything else about Gen lll. The region, the "evil" teams, the music, the fact you couldn't get a lot of the past pokemon unless you had colosseum... just terrible.

Hydrus

how are you guys not tired of gen wars

Not trying to start a gen war, it's just even after all these years and even after a remake, I'm still very disappointed in gen 3. It actually has some of my favorite Pokemon ever, but I didnt think the games were good. DP felt like it should of came after GSC.

Rutger

Banned
how are you guys not tired of gen wars

I am tired of gen wars. I usually ignore them.
But I felt it would be a better idea to put my opinion on the table here and try to have it stay here after Wiseblade made a post that sounded like they were wanting to make a thread that would be one hell of a messy gen war, simply because I stated I enjoyed Gen II far more than Gen III.

Seil

Meanwhile as a kid I wasn't disappointed at all going to RSE after RBY and GSC. I loved it. Back then I wasn't really bothered by the water thing either lol, in fact I really enjoyed figuring out the route with all the rapid currents.

I liked the sense of mystery with the visual braille and regis. The feeling of adventure going into the sky pillar (not so much the frustration of actually getting to the top, but damn did it feel good actually making it there). It was cool to me back then, having the versions actually have something different in their story despite how minor it was. And I liked the story being, y'know, cataclysmic even though it's just another Pokemon story, I was more easily impressed back then =p And it was cool having the cover legendaries actually be important.

At that time I wasn't that bothered by not being able to bring over my old Pokemon or not having all my old favorites available, I was more interested in what was new. Then there was the Battle Frontier once Emerald hit and sorry I'll take that over Kanto any day of the week, and I'll probably never stop being disappointed the Frontier was left out of ORAS.

And this is ignoring stuff like the graphics thanks to being on GBA lol.

I honestly can't see myself playing a Gen I or II game again but I could play Gen III.

And no, I don't think it's fair to look at HGSS in this situation because HGSS has nothing to do with going from Gen II to III and feeling disappointed, that shit didn't exist and has no bearing. I can 100% accept being disappointed in ORAS after HGSS, though, because I was as well. Lots of cool additions in HGSS and it even had a Frontier (albeit from Platinum). But HGSS is part of Gen IV even though it's a remake of Gen II games, leave it out of comparing Gen II and III themselves lol.

Boss Doggie

And just like real life, Generations must leave the wonderful gen II for the disappointing gen III.

This one was all about Team Magma, so I guess we'll see one on Team Aqua, and then one on Zinnia.
I welcome hearing Zinnia's themes again at least if that's the case.

While I think Gen III is pretty eh, I disagree in that Generations actually FINALLY picked up in Gen III segment.

The early Generation eps were boring because most of them are really not doing anything other than "oh this shit happens", because of the nonexistent plot I and II have. There's much more cohesion in today's Generations episode

Rutger

Banned
And no, I don't think it's fair to look at HGSS in this situation because HGSS has nothing to do with going from Gen II to III and feeling disappointed, that shit didn't exist and has no bearing. I can 100% accept being disappointed in ORAS after HGSS, though, because I was as well. Lots of cool additions in HGSS and it even had a Frontier (albeit from Platinum). But HGSS is part of Gen IV even though it's a remake of Gen II games, leave it out of comparing Gen II and III themselves lol.

I think it's fair to judge Johto as a region as well as the whole Gen II experience on HGSS, because if someone hasn't played a Johto game I would without question recommend HGSS. HGSS are the definitive Johto games now.

Obviously there were mechanical improvements from the original Gen II games to Gen III, running shoes, double battles, and that gen is one of the fastest in the series, but the things that make Gen II stand out to me are more important in my eyes, and I think HGSS is able to represent those things and show that it's not just nostalgia that made me enjoy Johto.

While I think Gen III is pretty eh, I disagree in that Generations actually FINALLY picked up in Gen III segment.

The early Generation eps were boring because most of them are really not doing anything other than "oh this shit happens", because of the nonexistent plot I and II have. There's much more cohesion in today's Generations episode

I agree that Generations hasn't been amazing, the only one I've enjoyed has been Silver's since it was able to show off his character fairly well in the short time it had. Maybe Episode 7 would have worked better for me if I played Omega Ruby and knew more about Courtney.

Sadly, the short time of each episode isn't enough to make fights shine imo, so I think it's better if they're more character focused. I expect its take on gens IV and V will be the strongest for me.

Boss Doggie

I feel GSC is "better" than HGSS by virtue that it doesn't have the remake baggage. Like, it didn't have the "you must fix GSC's problems" tied with it.

But hey, at least HGSS is better than FRLG and ORAS.

GoldStarz

because i'm a fucking grownup and have better shit to do

I think you might wanna reread that tbh.

Anyway, I thought this episode of Generation was kinda subpar. All the other episodes were interesting in showing us stuff we hadn't seen before but this really only seemed tangentially new. More like a scene extension than an actual expansion.

Wiseblade

Let me guess

I vehemently disagree with every aspect of this post. To the point that I question if we actually played the same games.

Also, NO WAY do you get to say that Gen II is the best and hide behind HGSS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GEN 2 is garbage. Egg moves are basically novelties. Level up moves are worse than gen one, as are the TMS. Level curve is messed up. New Pokémon distribution is really bad for many types.

HG/SS meanwhile saved Johto and are among the best games in the series. Regular G/S among the worst. Still pretty good games, just not for this series.

Boss Doggie

GEN 2 is garbage. Egg moves are basically novelties. Level up moves are worse than gen one, as are the TMS. Level curve is messed up. New Pokémon distribution is really bad for many types.

HG/SS meanwhile saved Johto and are among the best games in the series. Regular G/S among the worst. Still pretty good games, just not for this series.

Nah I disagree. Still didn't fix a lot of Johto's problems. Also the region is garbage compared to Sinnoh.

i way i see it is that if your talking about regions you can use the remakes as a point but if your talking about the games you have to use the games that came out in that gen

like i don't like johto at all but i will admit HGSS are good games despize the fact that they are set in one of the most boring region over all

Bubble

Neo Member
The biggest issue with G/S and HGSS is that the distribution of Gen II Pokemon is awful. When there is a new generation of Pokemon, I don't want to use old Pokemon, I want to use new Pokemon. They completely failed in that aspect in G/S, and the remakes failed to fix it. New Pokemon is the biggest draw for me in a Pokemon game, and Gen II couldn't distribute them properly. I ended up using my starter + a bunch of Gen I Pokemon.

Gen II distributed them really well. At least the Gen III Pokemon didn't play second fiddle in their own region, which the Gen II Pokemon did. Phanpy/Gligar/Skarmory around the 8th gym? Houndour in post-game Kanto? Larvitar before meeting Red, the end-game boss? Like, who the hell thought this was a great idea? This is like the one thing they should absolutely nail, and they couldn't do it. The remakes could have fixed that, but instead they didn't fix any of the original's issues.

*Edit: Added a bit more clarity.

GoldStarz

The biggest issue with HGSS is that the distribution of new Pokemon is awful. When there is a new generation of Pokemon, I don't want to use old Pokemon, I want to use new Pokemon. They completely failed in that aspect in G/S, and the remakes failed to fix it. New Pokemon is the biggest draw for me in a Pokemon game, and Gen II couldn't distribute them properly. I ended up using my starter + a bunch of Gen I Pokemon.

Gen II distributed them really well. At least the Gen III Pokemon didn't play second fiddle in their own region, which the Gen II Pokemon did. Phanpy/Gligar/Skarmory around the 8th gym? Houndour in post-game Kanto? Larvitar before meeting Red, the end-game boss? Like, who the hell thought this was a great idea? This is like the one thing they should absolutely nail, and they couldn't do it. The remakes could have fixed that, but instead they didn't fix any of the original's issues.

For HGSS do you mean the Johto pokemon or the Gen IV pokemon, because I get wanting a mix but you have to keep it Johto to a certain extent or else it loses touch as a remake.

Bubble

Neo Member
For HGSS do you mean the Johto pokemon or the Gen IV pokemon, because I get wanting a mix but you have to keep it Johto to a certain extent or else it loses touch as a remake.

I think I worded my post a bit wrong. I meant that the distribution of Johto Pokemon in G/S was poorly done, and that the HGSS didn't fix any of those issues.

And now that I think of it, at least HGSS included Gen IV Pokemon in its National Dex, while FR/LG didn't include any Pokemon other then the original 151.

I just miss rivals that made me we to kick their face in!

OG Gen 1 and 2 had those. I come back with Gen 6 and it's nothing but friendship and hugs in XY and ORAS. I don't want that! I want to destroy you and your team with my Godlike Pocket Monsters and I want to feel good about it!

Gladion is going to get "it"!

Rutger

Banned
I vehemently disagree with every aspect of this post. To the point that I question if we actually played the same games.

Also, NO WAY do you get to say that Gen II is the best and hide behind HGSS.

You disagree with a post that made it clear that I understand that much of what I love about Gen II is subjective.

Okay.

So yeah, I have not played through the original Gen II games since around the time they were released. I'd have to wait for a VC release since the batteries are dead in all my copies, but who knows if I would even get that because I have little interest in playing a game before the Physical/Special split right now. I think I played them enough to know that the things I loved about the Gen were not added in the remakes though.

The reality is that I found Gen II to be a big step up from Gen I at the time, an opinion that still holds with the remakes, and I never said Gen II is the best(I hold it, Gen IV, and Gen V at around the same level), I only said it's better than Gen III which I consider the lowest point in the series. I would be more than happy to discuss why I feel this way about the series, but all you've responded with has been short posts that boil down to "YOU'RE WRONG", so you'll have to forgive me if I feel I would gain nothing from it.

Wiseblade

You disagree with a post that made it clear that I understand that much of what I love about Gen II is subjective.

Okay.

So yeah, I have not played through the original Gen II games since around the time they were released. I'd have to wait for a VC release since the batteries are dead in all my copies, but who knows if I would even get that because I have little interest in playing a game before the Physical/Special split right now. I think I played them enough to know that the things I loved about the Gen were not added in the remakes though.

The reality is that I found Gen II to be a big step up from Gen I at the time, an opinion that still holds with the remakes, and I never said Gen II is the best(I hold it, Gen IV, and Gen V at around the same level), I only said it's better than Gen III which I consider the lowest point in the series. I would be more than happy to discuss why I feel this way about the series, but all you've responded with has been short posts that boil down to "YOU'RE WRONG", so you'll have to forgive me if I feel I would gain nothing from it.
I've stated my opinion on Gen II so many times that I tend to assume people know it already, forgetting that many would not. For that I apologise.

But I again call shenanigans on your statement that "Gen II is wonderful, but it's unplayable". Do you not even see your own contradiction?

Top Bottom