• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

For HGSS do you mean the Johto pokemon or the Gen IV pokemon, because I get wanting a mix but you have to keep it Johto to a certain extent or else it loses touch as a remake.

This wasn't my discussion but I find it pretty ridiculous that there are Gen II Pokémon you can't catch before the E4 in HGSS (Houndour whyyyyyyyy)

Rutger

Banned
I've stated my opinion on Gen II so many times that I tend to assume people know it already, forgetting that many would not. For that I apologise.

But I again call shenanigans on your statement that "Gen II is wonderful, but it's unplayable". Do you not even see your own contradiction?

I'm not always checking out this thread. I've seen some of the complaints about Gen II here and there and agree that most of them are real issues(I don't know if I've ever seen one of your posts), but they are ultimately rather minor issues to the experience to me.

There's a big difference between "unplayable" and "why should I go back to an inferior version". There are clunky aspects to the earlier games that I don't miss, but the aspects I love of those games are still there. My opinion of the music, new Pokemon, and region layout don't change just because it's from a time without running shoes, but I can play a version with a ton of quality of life improvements that still has those things I enjoyed as the core of the game. So no, I'm not seeing a contradiction, Gen II was wonderful and then they improved it with the remakes, I would much rather play the remakes but what I enjoy the most about Gen II are still there in the originals.

Gengahrrr

Drampa and Turtonator both having no pre-evos is a little weird, especially for something with grandpa in it's name. When's the last time we had a Pokémon over 5' that was single stage only? Druddigon? I can only hope their hiding something.

Also, not confirmed, but Turtonator might be Sun exclusive, while Drampa is Moon only.

Seil

Drampa and Turtonator both having no pre-evos is a little weird, especially for something with grandpa in it's name.

I can only hope their hiding something. Also, not confirmed, but Turtonator might be Sun exclusive, while Drampa is Moon only.

We've only ever encountered female Kangaskhan, they have no pre-evo and they hatch with an infant already in their pouch. Drampa isn't that weird.

Articalys

Apologies if a repost, but this is a damn cool print:

https://www.pokemoncenter-online.com/?p_cd=4521329205410
ukiyoe92u9h.jpg
Limited quantity, handmade, and costs about $460.

Seems to be based on this piece of art.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You guys had a gen war fight...without me. ;_;

Anyway when I first played Pokémon Silver I really enjoyed it and got a kick out of Johto historical region and how the legendary Pokémon are tied to it.

I chuckled when Farfetch'd bumped into a tree in Ilex forest, when the rocket goon bumped into a table and when Clair said that dragon breath had nothing to do with her breath.

Plus the music is amazing and Game Freak built on gen 1 with the new feature that became the staple of the series.

But Gen 2 is not without flaws like;

-The terrible level curve

-Pokémon placement is baffling

-Not many of the new Pokémon where amazing and wouldn't till they got new evo in gen 4.

-Johto felt very compressed and had shorter routes compares to other regions.

-Kanto was barren and devoid of anything interesting to do location wise or story wise.

-Gen 2 felt more of an expansion of gen 1 and struggled to stand out from its shadow.

and these flaws became more and more obvious as later generation didn't suffer from this problem.

As for the jump between gen 2 to 3, I was excited to play Pokémon Ruby and was really hyped as I saw pictures of the game graphic and was blown away by them.

I also saw images of the new Hoenn Pokémon and was spending hours planing on what Pokémon I wanted to use.

But when I got the game I was meh towards it as it felt like a regression from gen 2 in some department and I remember that I enjoyed exploring west side of Hoenn more than the East and would dread surfing across route 118.

But as time pass on I began to look back on it fondly and when I went back to replay it I was enjoying myself and began to see the good side of Hoenn, it also helped that gen 6 took its spot of being my least favorite generation.

Rutger

Banned
-Gen 2 felt more of an expansion of gen 1 and struggled to stand out from its shadow.

I certainly agree that Gen II is more of an expansion than the kind of new game every other gen is, however I think it's the opposite, that Gen I was made irrelevant once Gen II was made. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I end up enjoying Kanto more when it's a shorter trip where I can challenge seven of its Gyms in whatever order I want, Kanto is just too plain on its own to me now.

I was never denying that Gen II has some issues, but those issues are not a big enough deal to me in comparison to what I think Gen II did right. Honestly, I don't think there is a single generation that could be called bad, I might not care for Gen III but it's easy to see its strong points that could make someone else love it. All that ultimately matters are what aspects we value the most in the game.

I certainly agree that Gen II is more of an expansion than the kind of new game every other gen is, however I think it's the opposite, that Gen I was made irrelevant once Gen II was made. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I end up enjoying Kanto more when it's a shorter trip where I can challenge seven of its Gyms in whatever order I want, Kanto is just too plain on its own to me now.

I was never denying that Gen II has some issues, but those issues are not a big enough deal to me in comparison to what I think Gen II did right. Honestly, I don't think there is a single generation that could be called bad, I might not care for Gen III but it's easy to see its strong points that could make someone else love it. All that ultimately matters are what aspects we value the most in the game.

I agree about you liking Kanto more once it's opened up. When I recently replayed Red I used the pokedoll glitch to bypass Marowaks ghost and get the pokeflute early. It really opens the second half of the game up and makes it so much more enjoyable.

Kyzer

Banned
I'm going to make a spoiler free thread tomorrow. I usually am balls deep in leaks but there's something special about sun/moon and I want to be surprised by things

I'm going to make a spoiler free thread tomorrow. I usually am balls deep in leaks but there's something special about sun/moon and I want to be surprised by things

Yeeeee that's where I'll be congregating. I'm pretty positive none of the leaks so far have come close to getting the full picture of Gen VII's content yet so I'm eager to hop off the spoiler train while I still can haha.

We don't know if GF will make the same mistake twice.
Monster-catching game demos pretty much always leave the monster database intact. It's just much easier that way; trying to edit things out can lead to strange bugs and shit. But they usually do take things like the models out because A) it saves space and B) that usually doesn't cause weird bugs and shit.

It's possible they'll still go through the effort of course. At worst we should still get some base stats and possibly movepools, though.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm sure that the datamine is happening but I dont think that you should make a spoiler free thread before its confirmed that all the data is in again.

Chase17

We could try and make this thread leak free and put all of that in the speculation thread.

Not sure how well that would work out though.

Kyzer

Banned
It always pains me to see the community thread not on the first page, especially during such exciting times. I think it's dumb how much we all don't get along because of what we disagree on. The Pokemon community on GAF could be so vibrant if we got together over the things we love about the franchise

I'm sure that the datamine is happening but I dont think that you should make a spoiler free thread before its confirmed that all the data is in again.

It will be too late at that point lol

It's going to be bad enough that odds are SOMEONE is going to post a thread like "Sun/Moon datamined, Kalos confirmed (spoilers)". Not taking that chance.

We could try and make this thread leak free and put all of that in the speculation thread.

Not sure how well that would work out though.

Yeahhhh I don't have much faith in that idea working.

It always pains me to see the community thread not on the first page, especially during such exciting times. I think it's dumb how much we all don't get along because of what we disagree on. The Pokemon community on GAF could be so vibrant if we got together over the things we love about the franchise

i'm more shocked that someone isn't using thread subscriptions in 2016

Chase17

First reply to the thread is pretty funny when it comes this.
And thus the community thread for the next 3 years was born.

So there is potential of seeing NPC ash in this demo. If it happens I hope he looks goofy, would make that my avatar.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

err what, despite the agreements going on we tend to get along

...we get along by shitting on the gaming threads anyway lol

Chase17

It would have been nice for so many rock types if that priority rock move wasn't exclusive to Lycanroc sun.

That said I think I'll probably end up using Lycanroc, too bad I like the version in sun more and plan on getting moon. Going to have to go to the GTS stat.

err what, despite the agreements going on we tend to get along

...we get along by shitting on the gaming threads anyway lol
Shitting on the gaming threads?

I prefer to shit in the gaming threads by making posts that are absurd, probably offensive to many, and go against all standards of decency. :3 (EDIT: Though now's probably a good time to state that for the most part, no, those posts are not actually serious)

JoeM86

Whole game is probably gonna leak Tuesday

I don't know why people think they're not going to scrub it.

Monster-catching game demos pretty much always leave the monster database intact. It's just much easier that way; trying to edit things out can lead to strange bugs and shit. But they usually do take things like the models out because A) it saves space and B) that usually doesn't cause weird bugs and shit.

It's possible they'll still go through the effort of course. At worst we should still get some base stats and possibly movepools, though.

It'd be so easy to scrub things, not delete them. Just put all base stat values to 1 except the ones being used. Blank out the text, blank out the sprites, all without glitching things.

It would take all of 10 minutes

GoldStarz

I don't know why people think they're not going to scrub it.

It'd be so easy to scrub things, not delete them. Just put all base stat values to 1 except the ones being used. Blank out the text, blank out the sprites, all without glitching things.

Then why didn't they do that with ORAS?

True.

TBH I'm personally just expecting base stats for some of the new mons, partial movepools, and possible an estimate of the # of new mons. And I don't think expecting major spoilers is realistic unless GF *REALLY* fucks up.

Rutger

Banned
If datamining ends up revealing some new Pokemon, I'll probably see what they are. I did the media blackout thing for XY and it was kind of fun, but I still looked up many things in my playthrough. I enjoy teambuilding more than finding a Pokemon I haven't seen before I guess.

Good luck to everyone that wants to avoid them though.

Even if they do a perfect scrubbing of the whole game and every spoilery thing is replaced with a .bmp of Masuda staring into your soul, we'll at least be able to calculate the base stats of every Pokemon in the demo (which does include quite a few Alola natives judging by the information released).

Oh yeah, I'd almost forgotten. The suffering never ends, does it.

If you have a custom firmware set-up(or a spare 3ds) you could set a separate emunand/3ds to the Australia region. Both regions are PAL so there's full compatibility and Australia gets the game on the 18th.

Downloading from the eShop will probably take a while though...

Top Bottom