• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Wiseblade

Looking forward to Ash-Decidueye in 2018.

Looking forward to it losing in the League in 2019.
More likely, Pikachu will usend the new Z-move and get his time in the spotlight.

Thinking back, Ash-Greninja really was the biggest tease. Imagine if Goku still lost to Freiza after turning Super Saiyan.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that was a pretty tame special, just Lemon siblings meeting Cilan and shenanigans happening

they did pull a BrockxCilan moment when Clemont says "I wish I could meet this person who inspired you".

Looking forward to Ash-Decidueye in 2018.

Looking forward to it losing in the League in 2019.

so Ash dies?

Qurupeke

I can't wait for Alola anime. I'm curious how it will do a lot of things, and how it will depict the characters. It doesn't seem like it's Ash and his 2-3 friends this time, but Ash and his various classmates, a bigger and more diverse cast.

Roman

I'm surprised Showdown isn't more popular here. I guess GAF is more casual towards battling.

Me too, actually. There seems to be very little crossover with Smogon - a community that admittedly seems to skew younger.

However I am personally convinced organization through PS could be much simpler and more fluid. Strategies can be adapted to the metagame quicker etc.

On the other hand I don't want to take players away from your project, that would be disheartening. I hope we can find ways to work concurrently.

Weebos

Banned
Some of the Pokemon 151 t-shirt collection has been put up on Pokemoncenter.com. Pricey, but they are cool designs and I didn't think we would ever see them again.

I'm surprised Showdown isn't more popular here. I guess GAF is more casual towards battling.

Me too, actually. There seems to be very little crossover with Smogon - a community that admittedly seems to skew younger.

However I am personally convinced organization through PS could be much simpler and more fluid. Strategies can be adapted to the metagame quicker etc.

On the other hand I don't want to take players away from your project, that would be disheartening. I hope we can find ways to work concurrently.

I've used Showdown before, especially when I was a poorly supervised intern.

The main reasons I don't use it anymore are that I prefer VGC and I prefer playing on the 3DS.

Roman

I've used Showdown before, especially when I was a poorly supervised intern.

The main reasons I don't use it anymore are that I prefer VGC and I prefer playing on the 3DS.

Showdown supports VGC formats.

Thanks for the interest, guys. Here is the discord link

Lurkers are welcome too. Thanks in advance for your input, I hope we can make it work.

Wiseblade

I use Showdown, but I vastly prefer battling in game. If we were going to have a league, I'd prefer in game, although I'd probably participate either way.

My dream (that almost certainly won't come true) is for a QR Code generator to be developed for Sun/Moon and The Smogon single meta to move in game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Saw a preview of the S/M Ending theme (it used real actors superimposed against animated backgrounds, that's not the final version I hope?) and it definitely seems they want that Yokai Watch money with a danceable song.

So thinking about it, one reason I'd prefer a GAF pokemon league (if by that you mean similar to what's been done in the past with gym leaders and such and not a normal tournament) to be in game rather than Showdown is that Showdown would make it too easy for challengers to tailor their team to the specific opponent

Wiseblade

So thinking about it, one reason I'd prefer a GAF pokemon league (if by that you mean similar to what's been done in the past with gym leaders and such and not a normal tournament) to be in game rather than Showdown is that Showdown would make it too easy for challengers to tailor their team to the specific opponent
Once a QR Code generator is up and running that'll be a moot point.

Roman

Well I certainly don't want to replace the old system. This is just an experiment I would like to try, probably on a smaller scale.

We could work around that for example if gyms had multiple trainers and you'd have to beat them and the leader with the same team. Or the gym leader could have 1-2 mons from different types. These are the kinds of questions I would like to discuss in the discord first.

Fireblend

Banned
Once a QR Code generator is up and running that'll be a moot point.

Do we know yet if the QRs actually contain team information, or if they're just a "pointer" like a URL or an ID that gets read and then the game makes contact with a server in which the team information is actually stored?

Because if it's the latter (and it's where I'd put my money) you can kiss that generator idea goodbye :p

Weebos

Banned
Do we know yet if the QRs actually contain team information, or if they're just a "pointer" like a URL or an ID that gets read and then the game makes contact with a server in which the team information is actually stored?

Because if it's the latter (and it's where I'd put my money) you can kiss that generator idea goodbye :p

Hackers used the GTS for all sorts of shenanigans in Gens 4 and 5, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

Fireblend

Banned
Hackers used the GTS for all sorts of shenanigans in Gens 4 and 5, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

I mean, sure, hackers can just make whatever Pokemon they want on the game too. I'm just saying a QR generator which would lower the barrier of entry considerably for everyone without requiring someone to hack the game or make some fake calls to a server is unlikely unless team rental QRs contain all team info.

I'm really lucky. I've been basically living in the Spoiler thread for Sun/Moon and I haven't been spoiled on the story. I've learned everything I've wanted to know to build my team and can still go in fresh for the story! Lol..

KingDirk

I'm really lucky. I've been basically living in the Spoiler thread for Sun/Moon and I haven't been spoiled on the story. I've learned everything I've wanted to know to build my team and can still go in fresh for the story! Lol..

Me too man. Next Friday I can entirely divorce myself from terrible reality for a while.

Rowlet

Banned
Lmao, there is a random Pokemon Battle Dimension episode on the trending section on youtube. There is an astonishing 3.8m viewers for the video in only three days. To put that in perspective: it took Pokemon Generations Episode 4 one month to reach that total.

dude i didn't we agree we would only talk about stuff officially shown off here

also i got out of the spoiler threads around the time starters stats got leak and i have only seen like three other things since then

one of them was the starter Z moves which are now in coro coro so i figured i could talk about them here

but i have no idea what the hell that is

Boss Doggie

dude i didn't we agree we would keep stuff officially shown off here

also i got out of the spoiler threads around the time starters stats got leak and i have only seen like three other things since then

one of them was the starter Z moves which are now in coro coro so i figured i could talk about them here

but i have no idea what the hell that is
Marshadow was not officially revealed.

I thought Coro Coro defined the new mon though

gonna edit it then

Busaiku

I thought Coro Coro defined the new mon though

gonna edit it then
That's not Marshadow.
Marshadow won't be officially revealed for at least a year, being the last mythical.
Now, I don't expect to keep pretending it's not a thing, but we can at least wait until the games are out.

You know, today it hit me that D/P/Pt were the last games in the series to carry over all of the features of the last one. While they are far from being my favorite generation, it really kind of sucks that Gamefreak adopted a policy of dropping features afterwords. It especially sucks with Gen 5 being my favorite generation and that's where the trend finally hit full force. HeartGold and SoulSilver was the start of it, although that can be forgiven at least with them being remakes and the Gen 1 remakes were much the same. Still, Gen 4 kept contests, berry growing that still spanned the world, and secret bases. I really appreciate that and it still bothers me that the Pokeball customization that was in these games weren't expanded upon. It seems like such a good idea with trainer customization being a thing now. Why can't we modify the look of the Pokeball along with the opening animation? It's such wasted potential. Yes, it was clunky in Gen 4, but I wish they would have kept working on it instead of dropping it entirely like the fate of most features nowadays. Maybe the inevitable remakes will save the day.

And, oh man, you can practically feel Gamefreak's wish that they could drop berries entirely. Berry growing was nearly non-existent in HeartGold and SoulSilver. It IS non-existent in Black and White now with the dream world dead, and for the sequels you have to rely on that one place to buy berries that also required a lot of now non-existent online play to expand it. X and Y were only slightly better with a decently sized plot of land to use and while OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are a return to form, who knows how things will be with Sun and Moon. Either way, they really dropped the ball with Gen 5 when it came to berries and I'm a little surprise they weren't dropped entirely for X and Y after how badly things went.

Kyzer

Banned
You know, today it hit me that D/P/Pt were the last games in the series to carry over all of the features of the last one. While they are far from being my favorite generation, it really kind of sucks that Gamefreak adopted a policy of dropping features afterwords. It especially sucks with Gen 5 being my favorite generation and that's where the trend finally hit full force. HeartGold and SoulSilver was the start of it, although that can be forgiven at least with them being remakes and the Gen 1 remakes were much the same. Still, Gen 4 kept contests, berry growing that still spanned the world, and secret bases. I really appreciate that and it still bothers me that the Pokeball customization that was in these games weren't expanded upon. It seems like such a good idea with trainer customization being a thing now. Why can't we modify the look of the Pokeball along with the opening animation? It's such wasted potential. Yes, it was clunky in Gen 4, but I wish they would have kept working on it instead of dropping it entirely like the fate of most features nowadays. Maybe the inevitable remakes will save the day.

And, oh man, you can practically feel Gamefreak's wish that they could drop berries entirely. Berry growing was nearly non-existent in HeartGold and SoulSilver. It IS non-existent in Black and White now with the dream world dead, and for the sequels you have to rely on that one place to buy berries that also required a lot of now non-existent online play to expand it. X and Y were only slightly better with a decently sized plot of land to use and while OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are a return to form, who knows how things will be with Sun and Moon. Either way, they really dropped the ball with Gen 5 when it came to berries and I'm a little surprise they weren't dropped entirely for X and Y after how badly things went.

berry growing was more in depth in gen 6. there was mulch and bug pokemon encounters

And mutations as well.

I guess I need to look more deeply into X and Y's berry system. I admittedly didn't spend much time on it like I did with the system in Gen 3 and 4. I figured it was bear bones, I guess not. Man, I used to sneak my GBA or DS into school so that I could keep my berries watered back in the day. Good times. LOL

Dimmle

You know, today it hit me that D/P/Pt were the last games in the series to carry over all of the features of the last one. While they are far from being my favorite generation, it really kind of sucks that Gamefreak adopted a policy of dropping features afterwords.
I dunno, dropping features became a staple with gen 3. Day/night and most of the real-time events were sorely missed in 2002.

Boss Doggie

While I don't mind dropping features that feel superficial (see - following Pokemon), I do mind it when QoL are the ones dropped, especially when it's a type of QoL you didn't expect.

Man it would really suck if Gen VII dropped a lot.

Top Bottom