• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

That's great work! Maybe we can get some artists on board who can do art for tournaments or custom Gym stuff.

Current signups:

Water Gym Leader: Professor Beef
Grass Gym Leader: Aaronrules380
Poison Gym Leader: Wichu

What rulesets should we plan for? OU? VGC? OU Doubles? Would we be allowed to do an ubers gym if we wanted (MOstly asking because one of the new pokemon I want to use is very likely to be banished to Ubers very quickly).

Also, when do we plan to open the gyms up for challengers? I'd like to be able to have a bit of time to test and refine my gym team before I take challengers

Jay RaR

I'd like to try at this gym leader stuff, although I don't know how far I'll commit. I'll go for the Normal Gym.

It'll suck for the first few months since my perfect dittos won't be accessed till next year and I don't know if I'll have the time and energy again to breed at least 6 competitive pokes.

Roman

What rulesets should we plan for? OU? VGC? OU Doubles? Would we be allowed to do an ubers gym if we wanted (MOstly asking because one of the new pokemon I want to use is very likely to be banished to Ubers very quickly).

Also, when do we plan to open the gyms up for challengers? I'd like to be able to have a bit of time to test and refine my gym team before I take challengers

As I said previously, Gym Leaders are encouraged to offer multiple formats - VGC, Smogon doubles/singles Ubers/OU all the way down to ZU it's up to you to decide what you want to compete in but it's important to give challengers options. So yes you can offer Ubers matches but it shouldn't be the only option.

For the challenges between gyms and intra-gym tournaments it's obviously you guys who decide on the format, but for the big Elite Tournaments we will have to force one on everyone. I'm not sure how we will decide on that, maybe a weekly strawpoll.

If it's up to me I'd start as soon as Gen VII is up on Showdown - obviously it will depend on whether we have the people by then, but I'm confident we can at least get some ground game running.
I'd like to try at this gym leader stuff, although I don't know how far I'll commit. I'll go for the Normal Gym.

It'll suck for the first few months since my perfect dittos won't be accessed till next year and I don't know if I'll have the time and energy again to breed at least 6 competitive pokes.

Tha's great to hear! Don't worry it's all in good fun! Maybe other people want to join your Normal Gym to bolster your ranks till you're fully ready.

Roman

Update 2.1

Discord server to discuss all of this

A couple thoughts on Elite Tournaments

- 2-4 times a month, probably start Sundays
- Contact your opponent as per your convenience.
- All Gym Tiers can enter these tournaments
- Format to be decided by some kind of consensus, possibly a strawpoll
- All participants will be treated like Gym Leaders during the duration, which means that even Trainers can put 2 Pokemon on their teams that aren't of their Gym's type.
- To sign up, register your team with the Judges. No switching of any Pokemon during the tournament. They have to carry you through the whole thing.
- This means that participants are not allowed to watch other matches as long as they are still in the race.
- All matches except the grand finals are Best of 1, but with fighting game tournament style Winners and Losers brackets, so basically you can lose once without being disqualified
- The Grand Finals are Best of 3
- Judges will monitor these very closely, and participants should always upload their replays, it is only to their benefit.
- Top 2 players from Winners bracket and top 2 from Losers bracket will become Elites either way
- Have to think of some reward for the winner, maybe some trophy artwork, a Hall of Fame etc.

Elite 4 Challenge details

- As previously described, win 4 consecutive battles against any combination of Elites
- Before you do this, contact a Judge
- Ideally all these battles should be monitored by at least one Judge
- Again, both sides should upload replays of everything just to be absolutely sure. It has to be confirmed by both the Elites and Challenger that the Challenger did in fact win 4 times in a row.
- It is up to the Challenger to provide a timeline of when he beat who, and it is the duty of the Elites to confirm defeat.
- Once this is accomplished, the Challenger is eligible to either challenge the current Champion or if there is none, become one.

Current Signups:

Poison Gym Leader: Wichu
Normal Gym Leader: Jay RaR

Kyzer

Banned
Anyway, I'm up for a 3DS league again. I don't have quite as much free time this year as I did back in 2014, but I'd be happy to represent the best type once more :)

Also here are the badges I made for the XY league, if you guys want to use them for something:
pC9RXJr.png

xLG2MqZ.png

Wichu would you be willing to collaborate on some modifications for a new season?

Articalys

If it was any other game, I wouldn't be bothered by it, but this is Pokémon. The first few days of a Pokémon launch are the best. There's always the digital route, but I don't want to run the risk of losing a Pokémon save.

Edit: so apparently, my local gamestop had about 300 preorders...

What do I do, Pokegaf? Cancel Amazon preorder and get it 5 days later, or preorder from GS and fight the store crowd the day of?
If it's any consolation to you, I had been hesitant if I wanted to jump in day 1 or not, and had stupidly held off on preordering until today arrived and I realized "oh shit, game comes out this Friday". Not having GCU, and having a ton of Amazon credit, that was the best place for me to preorder, and I decided the $10 savings over what it would cost at any physical store plus being able to use my credit was worth having to hold out over the weekend. I've got a lot of anime to watch in my backlog anyway; abstaining from the internet for a handful of days might be a good thing with the way the world's going. Can't imagine spoilers would be that much risker in the usual places once the game's out proper than they already are after whatever kind of leak happened a week ago.

Well, that and I was never a huge part of the community before, so the "first few days" rule doesn't really apply to me in that aspect, but once I'm through the story and postgame, I hope you'll all accept a latecomer.

Menitta

If it's any consolation to you, I had been hesitant if I wanted to jump in day 1 or not, and had stupidly held off on preordering until today arrived and I realized "oh shit, game comes out this Friday". Not having GCU, and having a ton of Amazon credit, that was the best place for me to preorder, and I decided the $10 savings over what it would cost at any physical store plus being able to use my credit was worth having to hold out over the weekend. I've got a lot of anime to watch in my backlog anyway; abstaining from the internet for a handful of days might be a good thing with the way the world's going. Can't imagine spoilers would be that much risker in the usual places once the game's out proper than they already are after whatever kind of leak happened a week ago.

Well, that and I was never a huge part of the community before, so the "first few days" rule doesn't really apply to me in that aspect, but once I'm through the story and postgame, I hope you'll all accept a latecomer.

Yeah, overall there are more benefits to waiting the few days than there are to getting it day 1 in my situation. Also, I'll probably get it the day before Thanksgiving break starts so I'll have those few days to really dive into it. In addition, I'm also saving money by doing this as well.

Wichu

I think there's been a small misunderstanding - I want to play in the 3DS league, not the Showdown league.

But yeah, I can do some modifications to the badges. Just let me know.

Roman

I think there's been a small misunderstanding - I want to play in the 3DS league, not the Showdown league.

But yeah, I can do some modifications to the badges. Just let me know.

Could you also do things like trophies, or flags? It would be cool to have artists do stuff like Gym guild crests or something. And when someone becomes champion, there could be art of them with their team. Just a couple ideas I'm throwing around.

Do you maybe know artists who could be interested in something like that?

Zelias

Banned
I'd be interested in the 3DS league but not sure I'd have the time/energy to try out being a gym leader or anything. Would be cool to challenge though!

Roman

Wait, are we not doing 7th gen for Showdown?
I'd also be willing to do Fairy on 3DS.

Yes we are. Let me be clear.

I'm doing Showdown. Kyzer is doing 3DS. We're collaborating to put it under one roof. The gym guilds I was describing in a previous post, if we get enough people to have such micro-communities, will house both Leaders for mine and his league, so that people don't have to join like 40 different gyms.

There's another minor way the leagues are going to interact with each other but I'm going to let him announce it when he does.

Roman

So I hope these are accurate now:

Signups:

PS Water Gym Leader: Professor Beef
PS Grass Gym Leader: Aaronrules380
PS Normal Gym Leader: Jay RaR
PS/3DS Fairy Gym Leader: Busaiku

League Management: spiritfox

3DS Poison Gym Leader: Wichu

Since the 3DS League can't really start as quickly because of...well finishing the game, breeding etc. there's going to be a delay in us rolling out the Leagues. The PS one starts as soon as Showdown integrates Gen VII and we have at least 8 Gyms open (with at least one Leader in each of them who does PS obviously).

Kyzer and I will make one big OP that houses both, so you won't miss out on news concerning this regardless.

Rainy

Banned
Hey guys, first post in here but just wanted to check, the preorder for Sun and Moon shows the 22nd for Amazon right? I'm guessing this is because their initial shipment is already sold out? I guess I pre-ordered too late?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
honestly I don't see what's so special about Primarina's Z move, it looks boring

then again I'm exposed to many "summon a ball of energy" move, many of which did it better

Kyzer

Banned
Starting VERY early sign-ups for Gym Leaders for the 3DS Sun/Moon League... (Roman is handling the Pokemon Showdown portion of the league and we are going to work to put it all under one roof. If you are interested in being a leader for Pokemon Showdown, contact him! Yes, you can do both.)

So my basic idea for the league, especially since we're gonna have a Showdown portion to really hone in on the competitive aspect, is to use the 3DS league as a means to also extend game content of the mainline titles. So in the spirit of Sun/Moon, we are going to adapt a sort of "trial" system where Gym Leaders also act as Trial Captains, and players can complete in-game tasks in order to unlock the ability to challenge the gym leaders, along with a points system to encourage re-battling that challengers can use to win cool prizes, for example an egg of the gym leaders signature pokemon, along with the gym badges for their avatar. This will also serve to further incentivize participation and encourage an active community even after someone has completed the gyms for the first time. I will lay out all the rules and structure for this whole thing soon. I don't wanna get too in detail quite yet, but we will be able to make the final tweaks and polishes as a community before rollout. There will be up to 20 gyms available for sign up at any given time (we can do the league with whatever we can muster), both in honor of the 20th anniversary and as a means of including some special condition battles, for example a Legendary Gym where challengers and leaders are restricted to only Legendaries/Mythicals... I'm also experimenting with some ideas involving kahunas and an E4/champ, but want to really iron out these details before I talk about implementing anything like that. Also since Roman and I are collaborating I wanna try to avoid getting messy with extra layers until we've knocked out the foundation. I think its important we roll this out shortly after launch, while people are still very active in the game, and maybe postdate the 3DS portion to begin at a date we believe most will be able to participate given we have to breed and train teams.

So here's early sign ups, please only sign up if you plan on being pretty active online in the games after the E4 for a few months at least.

Bug Gym:
Dark Gym:
Dragon Gym: Kyzer
Electric Gym:
Fairy Gym: Busaiku
Fighting Gym:
Fire Gym:
Flying Gym:
Ghost Gym:
Grass Gym:
Ground Gym:
Ice Gym:
Normal Gym:
Poison Gym: Wichu
Psychic Gym:
Rock Gym:
Steel Gym:
Water Gym:
Basic Gym (special condition; unevolved, middle evos, and babies):
Legendary Gym (special condition; Legendary Pokemon):

Weebos

Banned
Sounds like a lot of fun. So there isn't one centralized battle format we're using, it will be up to each leader to decide what their gym plays?

I might jump in, I'll have to look at what will be available in Sun and Moon to come up with a type.

Kyzer

Banned
Sounds like a lot of fun. So there isn't one centralized battle format we're using, it will be up to each leader to decide what their gym plays?

I might jump in, I'll have to look at what will be available in Sun and Moon to come up with a type.

I believe thats exactly how Showdown will be doing it, and Sun/Moon league will likely be a modified VGC with maison-like restrictions, but leaders choose either Singles or Doubles as their battle type of choice along with Megas on or off.

Weebos

Banned
I believe thats exactly how Showdown will be doing it, and Sun/Moon league will likely be a modified VGC with maison-like restrictions, but leaders choose either Singles or Doubles as their battle type of choice along with Megas on or off.

Oh, nice, what modifications to VGC? Or is that still being tinkered with?

Roman

For the Showdown portion:

Gym Leaders provide formats for Challengers to pick from.
Gyms can freely challenge other Gyms without Management oversight, so when you challenge you obviously pick the format.

And then there's Elite Tournaments where we will enforce a format via strawpoll.

The formats are pretty much either VGC if that's what you want to offer or any main (non-Other Metagame) format from Smogon at the time.

Kyzer

Banned
Oh, nice, what modifications to VGC? Or is that still being tinkered with?

mostly some banned pokemon... maybe no ultra beasts, for example. gym leaders are gonna have a hard time as it is putting together teams that can hold up to human players, itll be damn near impossible if players are using legendaries. thats also why I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate option for that

Weebos

Banned
mostly some banned pokemon... maybe no ultra beasts, for example. gym leaders are gonna have a hard time as it is putting together teams that can hold up to human players, itll be damn near impossible if players are using legendaries. thats also why I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate option for that

My Ultra Beast led Fighting gym cries.

Boss Doggie

where are people pulling the "incineroar's dark type was a last minute change" garbage I keep seeing

The trainer interaction is the best.
We are conducting the attack ourselves.
but Incineroar trainer interaction was the best? but of course the tapus take the cake

I still hate the shitty dance though

Boss Doggie

Incineroar is them basically just cheering along though.
Primarina is being conducted by the trainer.

that makes Incineroar better, it's a simple yet powerful cheer whereas you don't look like a dumb person continuing that stupid, stupid dance

yes I hate the dance

Starting VERY early sign-ups for Gym Leaders for the 3DS Sun/Moon League... (Roman is handling the Pokemon Showdown portion of the league and we are going to work to put it all under one roof. If you are interested in being a leader for Pokemon Showdown, contact him! Yes, you can do both.)

So my basic idea for the league, especially since we're gonna have a Showdown portion to really hone in on the competitive aspect, is to use the 3DS league as a means to also extend game content of the mainline titles. So in the spirit of Sun/Moon, we are going to adapt a sort of "trial" system where Gym Leaders also act as Trial Captains, and players can complete in-game tasks in order to unlock the ability to challenge the gym leaders, along with a points system to encourage re-battling that challengers can use to win cool prizes, for example an egg of the gym leaders signature pokemon, along with the gym badges for their avatar. This will also serve to further incentivize participation and encourage an active community even after someone has completed the gyms for the first time. I will lay out all the rules and structure for this whole thing soon. I don't wanna get too in detail quite yet, but we will be able to make the final tweaks and polishes as a community before rollout. There will be up to 20 gyms available for sign up at any given time (we can do the league with whatever we can muster), both in honor of the 20th anniversary and as a means of including some special condition battles, for example a Legendary Gym where challengers and leaders are restricted to only Legendaries/Mythicals... I'm also experimenting with some ideas involving kahunas and an E4/champ, but want to really iron out these details before I talk about implementing anything like that. Also since Roman and I are collaborating I wanna try to avoid getting messy with extra layers until we've knocked out the foundation. I think its important we roll this out shortly after launch, while people are still very active in the game, and maybe postdate the 3DS portion to begin at a date we believe most will be able to participate given we have to breed and train teams.

So here's early sign ups, please only sign up if you plan on being pretty active online in the games after the E4 for a few months at least.

Bug Gym:
Dark Gym:
Electric Gym:
Fighting Gym:
Fire Gym:
Flying Gym:
Ghost Gym:
Grass Gym:
Ground Gym:
Ice Gym:
Normal Gym:
Psychic Gym:
Rock Gym:
Steel Gym:
Water Gym:

I want to do the grass gym in game as well as on showdown

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just realized that Lysandre pretty much died in every continuity he's been in. Maybe Generations will be the same.

Pfft who cares about him? He's old news, I am all about
Lusamine

*Do not click on that spoiler if you haven't been in the Sun and Moon leaked thread.

Roman

If possible, I think I could do some stuff on Showdown as Grass :p

Aaronrules380 is already the first Grass Gym Leader. Gyms can have multiple Leaders, but unless you open your own type Gym, you have to earn your Leader spot.

Alternatively I can give you a Council spot in the Grass Gym. Would that be alright?

Wichu

I would be fine with just having VGC rules. There's no reason to ban legendaries when you already have access to just as good Pokémon like Salamence and Metagross.

For the 3DS league, I would actually prefer something simple like any Sun/Moon obtainable Pokémon minus Zygarde/Solgaleo/Lunala (allowing the couple of post-game Pokémon not in the regional dex, Ash-Greninja, and Magearna). I would even consider allowing Zygarde, considering it wasn't all that great in X/Y - it doesn't seem like it's gotten massively improved.

Sun/Moon have a pretty wide variety of legendary Pokémon, so it would be nice for gym leaders to be able to use one (or more) as their bosses. Most types have access to at least one legendary (other than Ground, Ghost, Fire, and Ice) - Lunala is almost certainly banned so Ghost is out of luck, but if Zygarde is allowed then Ground gets one too.
And technically you could count Silvally as a legendary of any type you want, though its base form is Normal.

Bug Gym:
Dark Gym:
Electric Gym:
Fighting Gym:
Fire Gym:
Flying Gym:
Ghost Gym:
Grass Gym:
Ground Gym:
Ice Gym:
Normal Gym:
Psychic Gym:
Rock Gym:
Steel Gym:
Water Gym:
Put me down for legendary gym.

Busaiku

I would be fine with just having VGC rules. There's no reason to ban legendaries when you already have access to just as good Pokémon like Salamence and Metagross.

For the 3DS league, I would actually prefer something simple like any Sun/Moon obtainable Pokémon minus Zygarde/Solgaleo/Lunala (allowing the couple of post-game Pokémon not in the regional dex, Ash-Greninja, and Magearna). I would even consider allowing Zygarde, considering it wasn't all that great in X/Y - it doesn't seem like it's gotten massively improved.

Sun/Moon have a pretty wide variety of legendary Pokémon, so it would be nice for gym leaders to be able to use one (or more) as their bosses. Most types have access to at least one legendary (other than Ground, Ghost, Fire, and Ice) - Lunala is almost certainly banned so Ghost is out of luck, but if Zygarde is allowed then Ground gets one too.
And technically you could count Silvally as a legendary of any type you want, though its base form is Normal.
VGC usually does Legendaries, but not Mythicals.

GoldStarz

So for anyone here got SuMo early, would you be willing to trade for a Mimikyu egg (preferably female) when I get my copy? I'm willing to trade my starter for it.

Roman

Would it be possible to peg me for the Ice gym instead?

This gym stuff seems interesting.
I'd be up for Steel on Showdown.

That's great to hear! Please use the Signup Sheet.

We now have 6 out of minimum 8 Gyms opened, and that's even before making a big thread in Gaming! At this rate, nothing is going to stand in the way of launching the League immediately after Showdown updates.

What we also need right now are artists for the badges, flags, maybe guild crest designs based on types, among other things.

I'm also probably writing straight up fanfiction at this point but if we get to actually establish Councils I made some additional notes on their global function:

Update 2.5

- EXP System in Gyms to earn status and as Leaderboard
- As member of a Gym you earn EXP by defeating Challengers/Trainers/Council/Gym Leaders
- This counts both your fellow peers from the same Gym or when challenging other Gyms
- Beat a Trainer -> 10 EXP, beat a Council member -> 20 EXP, beat a Leader -> 30 EXP
- Earn 50 EXP -> contact Management with replays -> get promoted to Council
- Earn 100 EXP -> contact Management with replays -> get promoted to Gym Leader
- During Elite Tournaments, every win nets 30 EXP
- Also serves as Leaderboard -> find out where you rank among your fellow League members!
- Switching your Gym affiliation between types resets your EXP (so you have to re-earn Council/Leader spot)

Discord Servers

- Gym Leaders are encouraged to open their own Discord servers with channels for Trainers, Councils and Leaders
- The League Management server is a general place to come together for everyone (Challengers, Leaders, Councils, Trainers, Judges etc)
- Help out new Trainers in the Trainer channel, or ask for help yourself
- Challengers also have their own channel on that server to discuss strategies to beat the Gyms among themselves
- The Congress channel is the "Council of Councils", a place where only Council members of all the Gyms can post
- The Congress channel has multiple purposes:
- It votes on the next Elite Tournament format
- It discusses issues concerning the entire league, and votes on changes to the system
- Bigger gyms have more Council members, which means more votes. It is encouraged to recruit more Trainers to have a stronger voice in Congress.

Signups:

Normal Gym Leader: Jay RaR
Fairy Gym Leader: Busaiku
Steel Gym Leader: The Shadow Knight
Ice Gym Leader: Xenoboy

League Management: spiritfox

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I am signing off the internet till next week when I get my copy of the game, so I just want to say have fun playing Pokémon Sun and Moon. :)

Top Bottom