• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Got a "One week to go" email from EB Games and thought that wasn't right, but it turns out Australia gets the game on the 18th rather than the 23rd like Europe.

I didn't even realise!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Got a "One week to go" email from EB Games and thought that wasn't right, but it turns out Australia gets the game on the 18th rather than the 23rd like Europe.

I didn't even realise!

Yeah everyone but European get the game on the 18th but we get it on the 23rd, though it's more annoying this time round as the game has already leaked it wasn't even our fault this time.

Ah well it's only 5 days, 6 days for me, so it isn't too bad as it used to be in the past.

Yeah everyone but European get the game on the 18th but we get it on the 23rd, though it's more annoying this time round as the game has already leaked it wasn't even our fault this time.

Ah well it's only 5 days, 6 days for me, so it isn't too bad as it used to be in the past.

You can always import the Australian version!

It'll take more than 5 days to get there.

I just bought two Pokemon Z-Ring sets, unfortunately I couldn't find the additional Z-Crystals. So hyped for Sun and Moon! Can't believe it's less than a reset away now.

I wonder if this means "no more same day international release!"
Didn't stop them from datamining the Japanese version before it launched there, either.

If it's just a few copies it's probably fine to them, but if I remember correctly it was a retail chain that just gave up on the street date and let anyone and everyone buy X/Y somewhere in Europe almost a week before release. Don't think it's smart to punish an entire continent like they were a child who opened their Christmas presents early, but who am I to tell businesses what to do.

Nightbird

What are the odds for me in Germany to find a retail seller willing to sell the game next Weekend?

I know that big retail chains like Media Markt and Saturn are to be avoided (although i did found Xenoblade X three days before release there while looking for another game), but what are the odds that a small shop will sell it next Saturday as example?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Didn't stop them from datamining the Japanese version before it launched there, either.

If it's just a few copies it's probably fine to them, but if I remember correctly it was a retail chain that just gave up on the street date and let anyone and everyone buy X/Y somewhere in Europe almost a week before release. Don't think it's smart to punish an entire continent like they were a child who opened their Christmas presents early, but who am I to tell businesses what to do.

ah right it was a store that closed

was it accidental that they released the game early?

Hegarol

What are the odds for me in Germany to find a retail seller willing to sell the game next Weekend?

I know that big retail chains like Media Markt and Saturn are to be avoided (although i did found Xenoblade X three days before release there while looking for another game), but what are the odds that a small shop will sell it next Saturday as example?
Odds are pretty bad I think. :( MediaMarkt usually has it 1 day in advance but this weekend doesn't look good. We need to stay strong ;)

That one was the first (possibly second, if the initial Braixen leaker got hers from a different place) one and most notorious, but I can remember being on here 3 years ago and there was some retailer that would basically just give you the game if you asked that was based in Europe. A few people in the OT at that time even got it/were going to try to get it that way.

Either that or this is from the Berenstein universe or something and never happened.

Does anyone know where did the game leaked this early that lead to the datamine we have now?

Curious which nation/continent is going to get punished for the next set of games.

Hypnotoad

I have made quite some progress in filling the National Pokedex since last I wrote here. Back then it stood at around 450. After getting into breeding, making used of the GTS and Pokebank, it's now at 642. I am just playing occasionally, but getting all the non-legendary/mythicals should be done by the end of the year. Its fun crossing them off the list one by one.

Sun or Moon, I have not decided on yet, and will not pick it up for quite a while.

Last minute PSA for UK/London Pokemon fans: This looks to be a super easy contest to get a ticket for the Sun/Moon launch party where you can officially get Mew for your Virtual Console Red/Blue/Yellow.

There are 30 pairs of tickets for grabs and the contest closes in approx 29 hours time. So far there have been 8 entries.

tumblr_ogkcdg0WX21qcu5i6o1_540.png

tumblr_ogkcdg0WX21qcu5i6o2_540.png

tumblr_ogkcdg0WX21qcu5i6o3_540.png

Some really cool Pokemon fan art from a tumblr.

Teknoman

I can't for the life of me figure out the theme that plays during the final charmander vs onix battle in Pokémon origins. I found some midi remakes on YouTube under different names but that's it.

I can't for the life of me figure out the theme that plays during the final charmander vs onix battle in Pokémon origins. I found some midi remakes on YouTube under different names but that's it.

Yeah I tried to find that for a while. I don't think it's a remix of an existing track, which was probably their (poor) reasoning for leaving it out of the XY super music collection, along with the theme where Charizard mega evolves.

Amazon doesn't give a fuck

The Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon Steel book contains both Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon games in addition to a collectible Steel book case
The outer art features Legendary Pokemon, Silage and Lunular
The inner art features a map of some of the Alzola Region
Games in 2D. Some areas also playable in 3D. Games sold separately
Rated “E” Everyone w/ Mild Cartoon Violence

Roman

Okay after a lot of fruitful discussion here is the very raw, first draft of what I would like to do:

- PokeGAF Showdown Gym League: lower entry barrier, higher level of competition
- a modular, flexible model

- All battles are conducted on Pokemon Showdown
- Gyms are "guilds" based on types - hierarchy of minimum 1 leader+1 trainer
- If too few people, minimum 1 leader
- Multiple trainers and leaders in same gym possible
- As gym internal trainer: beat x challengers -> become leader/council
- (optional) Gym trainers can have 0 pokemon of a type different from the gym, council 1, leader 2
- Gyms can challenge each other for rival schools respect
- Tournaments between gyms -> Top 4 become Elite 4 until next tournament
- As challenger: beat 1-2 battles against trainers of same gym (can be same trainer 2 times) -> beat any leader of that gym 1 once -> get badge
- Challenge leaders in any format they offer (doubles, singles, OU, UU etc)
- Get min. 8 different badges -> challenge Elite 4
- Win 4 battles in a row against any combination of Elite 4 members (even same one four times) -> (beat current Champion) -> become Champion

- Elite 4 should be highest rank on Gym side "career ladder"
- But possible to challenge other gyms as challenger to collect badges even if member of gym

Current considerations (merely crazy ramblings in case of tremendous participation):

- Bare minimum plan - 8 gym leaders, first come first serve, beat leader -> get badge
- Mini tournament of 6-8 leaders
- Incentives for gyms to challenge each other
- "Flags" as signs of authority?
- Type specific flags? Beat gym of that type in a tournament -> get its flag -> look tougher to challengers
- Similar to collecting badges but as collective gym guild unit
- Capture The Flag format? Your gym starts with its own flag -> win other flags in tournaments -> amass prestige for your gym
- Guilds would ideally be their own little communities with optional custom names, internal positions, roles, tournaments, people tasked with helping new players - but no imposition from League management on this

Okay after a lot of fruitful discussion here is the very raw, first draft of what I would like to do:

- PokeGAF Showdown Gym League: lower entry barrier, higher level of competition
- a modular, flexible model

- All battles are conducted on Pokemon Showdown
- Gyms are "guilds" based on types - hierarchy of minimum 1 leader+1 trainer
- If too few people, minimum 1 leader
- Multiple trainers and leaders in same gym possible
- As gym internal trainer: beat x challengers -> become leader/council
- (optional) Gym trainers can have 0 pokemon of a type different from the gym, council 1, leader 2
- Gyms can challenge each other for rival schools respect
- Tournaments between gyms -> Top 4 become Elite 4 until next tournament
- As challenger: beat 1-2 battles against trainers of same gym (can be same trainer 2 times) -> beat any leader of that gym 1 once -> get badge
- Challenge leaders in any format they offer (doubles, singles, OU, UU etc)
- Get min. 8 different badges -> challenge Elite 4
- Beat Elite 4 -> become Champion

- But possible to challenge other gyms as challenger to collect badges even if member of gym

Current considerations (merely crazy ramblings in case of tremendous participation):

- Bare minimum plan - 8 gym leaders, first come first serve, beat leader -> get badge
- Incentives for gyms to challenge each other
- "Flags" as signs of authority?
- Type specific flags? Beat gym of that type in a tournament -> get its flag -> look tougher to challengers
- Similar to collecting badges but as collective gym guild unit
Can someone act as both a gym leader/trainer and a challenger? As in, have a type based gym leader team(s) and a normal team that's not bound by types?

Roman

Can someone act as both a gym leader/trainer and a challenger? As in, have a type based gym leader team(s) and a normal team that's not bound by types?

So yes I think it would be very fruitful to allow this. You'd have a personal "quest" but also a "job" with career opportunities. :p

So you can be Leader or Elite 4 but still aspire to be Champion. There should be as much fluidity as possible. Also I think Trainers/Council/Leaders should all be able to participate in the tournaments that determine Elite 4 so it is possible to become E4 even as just a gym trainer depending on skill.

spiritfox

Is there any reward for becoming Champion? Do we get to challenge the Champions?

I feel like we should settle on a single banlist for the league. If we have leaders doing different formats it'll be hard to keep track of what is usable and what is not. I suggest we stick with OU Singles and Doubles, unless there's other requests.

Roman

Is there any reward for becoming Champion? Do we get to challenge the Champions?

I feel like we should settle on a single banlist for the league. If we have leaders doing different formats it'll be hard to keep track of what is usable and what is not. I suggest we stick with OU Singles and Doubles, unless there's other requests.

The Champion reward has me a bit stumped too, I can't think of much except for trophies, entry into a Hall of (Sh/)Fame with the team that you win with including nicknames...maybe someone else has ideas.

The problem is that Champions are also going to be challenged so I can't make it some physical big prize.

Of course you can challenge the Champion, but first you have to collect at least 8 different badges and then win four battles in a row against any combination of Elite 4 (doesn't matter if it's the same one four times). I would like to maximize game flavor while also making it fluid and not hindered by people's schedules as much as possible.

The formats would be the ones Smogon will use at that time. I realize that after Gen 7 is out there will only be OU and Ubers for a while and it's going to be a mess. Leaders are free to offer Gen 6 Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/ZU/Doubles Ubers or OU as they like. In this regard I would like to give Leaders and Challengers as much freedom as possible.

Roman

Also I just realized the Elite 4 would be a severe bottleneck in scheduling so I adjusted it to this:

- Win 4 battles in a row against any combination of Elite 4 members (even same one four times) -> (beat current Champion) -> become Champion

Roman

Just got your message Roman, let's collaborate on the gym league this year!

Thanks for the reply! I have sent mine back. This thing could get very exciting now that we don't make people choose between them.

However, we will definitely need a lot of manpower. I would say at least 2 people whose purpose it would be to just keep tables on the participants and what their status is.

We'd also need people to organize and keep an eye on the tournaments, check replays, hand out new statuses etc.

I would wager we'd need at least 5-10 volunteers depending on how big this gets.

Weebos

Banned
I participated in a Gym League in the early days of XY, and one cool thing the leaders did (I was a Fighting Leader for a time), was give out 4IV+ pokemon bred from their teams as "badges".

Much easier to do on 3DS than showdown, but thought I would throw it out there because it was fun.

Are there plans for a 3DS league?

Roman

I call water gym

dammit

Well maybe I'm sinking deeper into insanity but I have written out a more detailed, structured plan.

Keep in mind this is only for an increased amount of players, but that's the point of a modular approach. The following notes are basically dreams until we get a good amount of participation.

Discord server to discuss all of this

Update 2.0

- Elite 4 changed to simply "Elite" - a fixed number of people on any level of this would be a bad idea
- When new Elites earn their status in tournaments, they get to pick a type they want to represent and report this to League Management
- Their team however only has to contain at least three Pokemon of that type
- Elites provide multiple formats to challengers to pick from, just like Gym Leaders
- The rest of the above still applies (Challenger needs to win 4 battles in a row against any combination of Elites)
- Since this is probably going to be very difficult already, the Challenger can switch teams in between (I'm not too set on this)
- Defeated Elites report this to the Champion and League Management with replay in hand
- If an Elite wants to change their type focus, they can do so freely, but only after losing X battles to challengers with the previous focus

More details on the Gym side
- Gyms are ideally supposed to be small communities, where members help each other and new players (think Harry Potter Houses)
- Gyms are free to be nicknamed
- There are three mandatory tiers:
- Trainer. This is what you enter as. Entry should be entirely hassle-free and have no requirements. Notify the Gym Council to enter.
- As a Trainer, your team entirely consists of Pokemon belonging to the Gym's type.
- Trainers who defeat X Challengers (haven't decided on something like 5 or 5 more wins than losses or something else) can enter Council.
- Trainers who are defeated notify the Gym Leader with a replay. It is their most important duty. If a Challenger feels this isn't being upheld, they notify the Leader with a replay themselves. The Council then decides on sanctions for that Trainer.

- The Council is the "Moderators" of each Gym. They help new players, decide on whether to challenge or accept challenges from other Gyms, keep track of Gym internal wins/losses.
- Council members can be challenged just like Trainers, but they are "tougher", only at least 5 of their Pokemon need to be of the Gym's type.
- A Challenger has to defeat 2 Trainers or 1 Council member to challenge a Gym Leader

- Gym Leaders. The figureheads. Their most important duty is to hand out badges to whoever defeats them. Defeating any Leader once is enough for a badge.
- Only at least 4 of a Gym Leader's Pokemon need to be of the Gym's type.
- Gyms can host their own internal tournaments to determine new Leaders as they see fit. This would be organized by the Gym Council.
- Gyms are free to voluntarily create and fill custom positions like "Drivers", "Voices" etc - people who are actively tasked to recruit more Trainers
- Any Gym member of any tier can participate in Elite tournaments. The top 4 contestants become Elites. They don't replace old Elites.
- Elite or Gym Leader status can only be lost after X amount of inactivity or breaking rules or abusing new Trainers and similar unacceptable behavior.
- This is decided by League Management.

League Management
- These are the poor souls that manage the entire league.
- They get reports from the Gym Councils on Win/Loss ratios, current inter-Gym challenges, results of such, new Leader appointments etc.
- They organize Elite Tournaments, appoint new Elites, crown new Champions
- They can participate as either Challengers or on the Gym side, but under no circumstances should be their own Judges, so we need...

Judges
- Judges are part of League Management and ideally shouldn't participate in anything other than friendly matches
- They keep a close watch on Elite Tournaments and report the results to Management
- They should be contacted in case of severe discrepancies like losers not reporting results etc.

Bottom line: With such a colossal plan it is extremely important to DELEGATE. Councils should manage their own Gyms and not contact Management
with every detail and/or problem. Gyms should take care of their Trainers.

Wichu

I think you guys are overestimating the number of people that will want to play in the league. In the XY league, we just had a single gym leader for each type, and the leaders outnumbered the challengers by a large margin.

I wouldn't expect to get more than 30ish people, which isn't anywhere close to having a community per gym.

Roman

I think you guys are overestimating the number of people that will want to play in the league. In the XY league, we just had a single gym leader for each type, and the leaders outnumbered the challengers by a large margin.

I wouldn't expect to get more than 30ish people, which isn't anywhere close to having a community per gym.

Thanks for your input! I am not naive to these realities which is why I stress the modular nature of the plan and added:

The winners of that would be Elites.
Challengers who have 8 badges can challenge those and become Champion.

We can do a skeleton version of the concept with just 8 people. I would say it is doable. Everything else is optimism.

Menitta

I might have made a mistake. I just changed my order from Moon to Sun on Amazon and now it says it's arriving on Nov. 22. Uuuuugh....

Hopefully it's an incorrect estimate. If it isn't, I'll just cancel it and go to the store...that'll be fuuuun.

Wichu

Anyway, I'm up for a 3DS league again. I don't have quite as much free time this year as I did back in 2014, but I'd be happy to represent the best type once more :)

Also here are the badges I made for the XY league, if you guys want to use them for something:
pC9RXJr.png

xLG2MqZ.png

Roman

Anyway, I'm up for a 3DS league again. I don't have quite as much free time this year as I did back in 2014, but I'd be happy to represent the best type once more :)

Also here are the badges I made for the XY league, if you guys want to use them for something:
pC9RXJr.png

xLG2MqZ.png

That's great work! Maybe we can get some artists on board who can do art for tournaments or custom Gym stuff.

Current signups:

Water Gym Leader: Professor Beef
Grass Gym Leader: Aaronrules380
Poison Gym Leader: Wichu

I'd like to try to partake in the gym stuff.

Also, anyone have a friend code with an Ivysaur for FS? I really need a Bulbasaur :)

I might have made a mistake. I just changed my order from Moon to Sun on Amazon and now it says it's arriving on Nov. 22. Uuuuugh....

Hopefully it's an incorrect estimate. If it isn't, I'll just cancel it and go to the store...that'll be fuuuun.

Yup, I ordered late and thats my date. I'm just gonna pre-order from BB instead.

Menitta

I'd like to try to partake in the gym stuff.

Also, anyone have a friend code with an Ivysaur for FS? I really need a Bulbasaur :)

Yup, I ordered late and thats my date. I'm just gonna pre-order from BB instead.

If it was any other game, I wouldn't be bothered by it, but this is Pokémon. The first few days of a Pokémon launch are the best. There's always the digital route, but I don't want to run the risk of losing a Pokémon save.

Edit: so apparently, my local gamestop had about 300 preorders...

What do I do, Pokegaf? Cancel Amazon preorder and get it 5 days later, or preorder from GS and fight the store crowd the day of?

Top Bottom