• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Kyzer

Banned
Bug Gym:
Dark Gym:
Dragon Gym: Kyzer
Electric Gym:
Fairy Gym: Busaiku
Fighting Gym:
Fire Gym:
Flying Gym:
Ghost Gym:
Grass Gym: Aaronrules380
Ground Gym:
Ice Gym:
Normal Gym:
Poison Gym: Wichu
Psychic Gym:
Rock Gym:
Steel Gym:
Water Gym:
Basic Gym (special condition; unevolved, middle evos, and babies):
Legendary Gym (special condition; Legendary Pokemon): lordfroakie

I would be fine with just having VGC rules. There's no reason to ban legendaries when you already have access to just as good Pokémon like Salamence and Metagross.

For the 3DS league, I would actually prefer something simple like any Sun/Moon obtainable Pokémon minus Zygarde/Solgaleo/Lunala (allowing the couple of post-game Pokémon not in the regional dex, Ash-Greninja, and Magearna). I would even consider allowing Zygarde, considering it wasn't all that great in X/Y - it doesn't seem like it's gotten massively improved.

Sun/Moon have a pretty wide variety of legendary Pokémon, so it would be nice for gym leaders to be able to use one (or more) as their bosses. Most types have access to at least one legendary (other than Ground, Ghost, Fire, and Ice) - Lunala is almost certainly banned so Ghost is out of luck, but if Zygarde is allowed then Ground gets one too.
And technically you could count Silvally as a legendary of any type you want, though its base form is Normal.

As much as I do feel you, legendaries are an entire flood of pokemon on that level, and while a team might be filled with salamences and metagrosses, thats still more manageable than a team full of mewtwos and rayquazas.

letting gym leaders have a legendary is a sweet idea though. lets keep spitballing and tweaking, we have time. is battle tree the same rules as maison?

Jay RaR

Yes, but we collaborate and share Gyms. Each Gym can house Leaders for both Showdown and 3DS and is a place to discuss either format, like Guild HQs.

Didn't see that there were two formats lol.

I mainly want to be on the 3DS format but if more people go on Showdown then I can be there as well.

Izayoi

Banned
As much as I do feel you, legendaries are an entire flood of pokemon on that level, and while a team might be filled with salamences and metagrosses, thats still more manageable than a team full of mewtwos and rayquazas.

letting gym leaders have a legendary is a sweet idea though. lets keep spitballing and tweaking, we have time. is battle tree the same rules as maison?
Could I sign up for the Steel Gym in the 3DS league?

This sounds like a lot of fun.

Wichu

Mewtwo and Rayquaza aren't obtainable in Sun/Moon, so are banned by default. The only legendaries I would ban off the cuff are Solgaleo and Lunala; the other legendaries have a much lower power level that's approximately equal to the strongest non-legendary Pokémon (570-600 stat total).

The simplest solution would be to use VGC/Battle Tree rules:
Zygarde, Solgaleo, Lunala,
Necrozma
, and Magearna are banned.
No more than one Pokémon of each species per team.
Hold items must be unique.
VGC bans Mega Evolution.
VGC only allows Alola Pokédex Pokémon.

I would personally relax the first rule to only ban Solgaleo and Lunala, as I don't think the other Pokémon on the list are overpowered. I would also relax the last rule to allow anything obtainable without Bank (there are a few Pokémon not in the Alola Pokédex that can be obtained after beating the game).

Kyzer

Banned
Mewtwo and Rayquaza aren't obtainable in Sun/Moon, so are banned by default. The only legendaries I would ban off the cuff are Solgaleo and Lunala; the other legendaries have a much lower power level that's approximately equal to the strongest non-legendary Pokémon (570-600 stat total).

Necrozma
VGC bans Mega Evolution.

I would personally relax the first rule to only ban Solgaleo and Lunala, as I don't think the other Pokémon on the list are overpowered. I would also relax the last rule to allow anything obtainable without Bank (there are a few Pokémon not in the Alola Pokédex that can be obtained after beating the game).

Yeah I agree with battle tree rules, like I was saying, Maison-like restrictions makes sense. I don't agree with unbanning legendaries. Like I said, if players have a team of legendaries it is NOT the same as having a team of Salamence, Metagross, etc., and it will be very hard for leaders to be able to keep up since we already are working with type restrictions. I was going to have a sort of 4 type pokemon, 1 pokemon with at least 2 moves of that type, and 1 signature pokemon that has nothing to do with that type sort of thing for leaders to go by, maybe add in being allowed to have 1 legendary or something to make us a tough challenge but unbanning legendaries is like the opposite of that, players will have an even greater advantage than they already have

Weebos

Banned

Necrozma
VGC bans Mega Evolution.

Yeah I agree with battle tree rules, like I was saying, Maison-like restrictions makes sense. I don't agree with unbanning legendaries. Like I said, if players have a team of legendaries it is NOT the same as having a team of Salamence, Metagross, etc., and it will be very hard for leaders to be able to keep up since we already are working with type restrictions. I was going to have a sort of 4 type pokemon, 1 pokemon with at least 2 moves of that type, and 1 signature pokemon that has nothing to do with that type sort of thing for leaders to go by, maybe add in being allowed to have 1 legendary or something to make us a tough challenge but unbanning legendaries is like the opposite of that, players will have an even greater advantage than they already have

So Ultra Beasts and Tapus are fine? That's make or break for me.

Roman

Just for the record, in the Showdown League as a Gym Leader you can also offer VGC format battles for challengers. There would be further restrictions from me on this.

You can even offer custom formats. I want to give Gym Leaders free reign on this.

Signup Sheet

Current Signups:

Water Gym Leader: Professor Beef
Grass Gym Leader: Aaronrules380
Normal Gym Leader: Jay RaR
Fairy Gym Leader: Busaiku
Steel Gym Leader: The Shadow Knight
Ice Gym Leader: Xenoboy
Fighting Gym Leader: lordfroakie

In the 3dS league, can we hold off until pokebank is available? Making an even halfway decent grass team looks pretty much impossible with the ones in the alola dex alone, especially if I can't use tapu Bulu or
kartana

We will likely be stating the 3DS league shortly after pokebank support, makes the most sense.

Yeah I mean if it's not banned from battle tree then I don't see why not
Ok good. Also, can we switch the two moves of the signature type for off type pokemon to just one? Two is incredibly restrictive since it will require having a useless extra move rather than coverage

Pfft who cares about him? He's old news, I am all about
Lusamine

*Do not click on that spoiler if you haven't been in the Sun and Moon leaked thread.

Too late!
:mad:
I should've read the whole post before clicking!

Not too big of a deal. A blind man could've told you something was up with her.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Anyone have a spare Hoopa they'd be willing to direct trade to me for the purposes of completing my living Dex? Sitting at 719/721 currently, and it hurts.

I've got a ton of extra legit legendaries and mythicals I can pass along in a trade. Please PM me if interested.

Thanks.

The Bank patch is still ages away. Can't we start the league sooner?

many types get barely any decent options prebank. As the grass gym leader, my options are limited to pure grass types, grass/fairy types, grass/ghost types, Alolan Exeggutor, and one grass/steel UB. Oh and Parasect, but nobody really cares about that one. That's not a huge array of choices, and doesn't help me make a decent team

I'd like to formally submit an application for the position of Dark-type Gym Leader. Obviously won't be able to fulfill the role until Bank launches since my entire team is in Alpha Sapphire, but I've got nearly 8 competitive Dark-types trained and ready to go.

Also, I'm going to be running another tag-team doubles tournament this December, so get hype for that!

Roman

I'd like to formally submit an application for the position of Dark-type Gym Leader. Obviously won't be able to fulfill the role until Bank launches since my entire team is in Alpha Sapphire, but I've got nearly 8 competitive Dark-types trained and ready to go.

Also, I'm going to be running another tag-team doubles tournament this December, so get hype for that!

Just for the 3DS League or also Showdown?

Roman

Either/or. I have them all on 3DS but it would take me literally 3 minutes to remake them all in Showdown.

Would probably prefer to be part of the 3DS league though cuz I put a lot of time and effort into my team P:

Well in case you do decide to join the Showdown side, here is the Signup Sheet and the Discord server to discuss either league

Please inform me separately if you also want to open a Gym. The 3DS side gym leaders have been renamed Trial Captains to separate the two.

Current Signups:

Dark Gym Leader: ScraftyDevil

Grass Council: Nightii

League Management: spiritfox

Well in case you do decide to join the Showdown side, here is the Signup Sheet and the Discord server to discuss either league

Please inform me separately if you also want to open a Gym. The 3DS side gym leaders have been renamed Trial Captains to separate the two.

Current Signups:

Yeah, I think I'd be down to be both a Gym Leader and a Trial Captain. Sent my application your way!

ah man hearing about people who have been pirating the game early and getting banned fills me with happiness, nice to see that nintendo are doing something about it

not too long till i can play pokemon now

Mr-Joker

Banned
ah man hearing about people who have been pirating the game early and getting banned fills me with happiness, nice to see that nintendo are doing something about it

I feel that they could have done better by tracking down the guy who leaked it and blacklist him from getting review copies. Also sending a memo to European retailers saying that they're bumping up the release date.

I feel that they could have done better by tracking down the guy who leaked it and blacklist him from getting review copies. Also sending a memo to European retailers saying that they're bumping up the release date.

they should do more than just blacklist his ass, like fine him or something

FSLink

Banned
Yeah good luck finding that guy though.

Damn I'd love to be the Fire, Electric, or Basic Trial Captain on 3DS but on Pokemon X I had 25 online wins out've 225 so I'm probably wouldn't be a good gym leader. Maybe I can be the first Trail? lol. :(

I will for sure challenge you all, even if I can't be one. My main problem with X was not knowing weakness's since theres so many types so I should do better in Moon since it shows that ingame.

Roman

Damn I'd love to be the Fire, Electric, or Basic Trial Captain on 3DS but on Pokemon X I had 25 online wins out've 225 so I'm probably wouldn't be a good gym leader. Maybe I can be the first Trail? lol. :(

I will for sure challenge you all, even if I can't be one. My main problem with X was not knowing weakness's since theres so many types so I should do better in Moon since it shows that ingame.

I can't speak too much on kyzer's 3DS League but you are welcome to join our Discord server and we can help you out! I wouldn't mind tutoring people in the aspects of competitive battling.

Pokémon Sun/Moon OP

Certainly different to anything so far..

Checked out the first two episodes out of curiosity and it's nowhere near as bad as people were making it out to be. The artstyle can be jarring compared to the previous series but the battle animations look great. There doesn't really seem to be that much a goal yet though. At least it seems that Team Rocket won't show up in every damn episode.

Qurupeke

Checked out the first two episodes out of curiosity and it's nowhere near as bad as people were making it out to be. The artstyle can be jarring compared to the previous series but the battle animations look great. There doesn't really seem to be that much a goal yet though. At least it seems that Team Rocket won't show up in every damn episode.

It's wacky and more cartoonish, it doesn't resonate well with some people. But really, Pokemon were never that serious. The animation seems top-notch, really fluid, and I like that they expanded the cast with likable characters and not just boring travelling companions. Yeah, I'm interested in seeing if there's going to be a plot or not, but as of now I really like what it seems to be. I'll definitely check it out. Last time I watched a Pokemon anime was in BW, it certainly soured my experience, this can't be worse than that.

Sou Da

So, Ash is just there in Alola? No Pallet town episode?

Okay, I saw the backstory of how he got there. It was pretty funny.

Daemul

It's been a long while since I've enjoyed an episode of Pokemon, these two episodes were fun and enjoyable. Fucking Alolan Oak and those Pokemon faces he pulls, his Conkeldurr one killed me.

Also, Masuda and co watching the 1 hour special.

dVGFlgp.jpg

So, Ash is just there in Alola? No Pallet town episode?

Okay, I saw the backstory of how he got there. It was pretty funny.

Mr Mime is a boss haha

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'll be skipping SM since it's not really for my tastes.

With that said I just don't like it how people claim "SM is more animated you guise!" as though XY isn't. XY can show it is really well animated without the need of becoming "flat" in colors and being so squiggly in animation.

Puruzi

Banned
It looks better than x and y. Character animation sucked ass in x and y imo except for the performances. It was really stiff and boring. Battle animation looked good in x and y but both look good in sun and moon.

Fireblend

Banned
I loved XY(&Z). Haven't watched the new one (and won't without at least subs :p) but I'm excited for the extra wackyness and the overall freshness I see it exuding.

I see very bright days ahead for Pokemon fans :)

Edit: Pokemon Eclipse confirmed.

iyMLVi0.png

Busaiku

Does anyone know if CN is gonna do an early preview like they did X/Y?
We also never got an air date for the Magearna movie...

Doesn't UK get them Saturday?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It looks better than x and y. Character animation sucked ass in x and y imo except for the performances. It was really stiff and boring. Battle animation looked good in x and y but both look good in sun and moon.

that's because there's no reason for the characters to act like they're in a ritalin, it's less about "stiff" and more just being a standard

want a no-battle episode that is well animated? Pokeball Factory.

Banned; back on the 24th.

I hope he's back when Empoleon gets announced in Pokken

Top Bottom