• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

can't comment much about sun/moon or gen 7 since I don't even finish 2nd island yet, but reading what ppl comment about pros & cons I doubt it can replace gen 5 as my favourite gen. bw/bw2 combo is too unique for me

Wiseblade

Definitely the best single player, by far.
Best overall crop of Pokémon as well (but nothing topped Whimsicott or Pikachu).
Best region, best characters, best legendaries, best bosses, best villains.
Not the best music, not the best distribution/variety (Pokémon and trainers), not the best entry for competitive.

Will probably be my favorite still.

*High on the list for Single player, despite SOS and Totems.

* The New Pokémon are fine. Less new favourites than past generations, but still serviceable.

* I can't make a call on the region until I've had more free reign of all of Alola. My impressions were positive for my playthrough though.

* Characters? Kahunas are really cool, but I was a little saddened the island Trial concept was subverted as much as it was played straight. If Hapu had waited to battle after the dragon Trial, I probably would have felt a lot better about it.

The Trial Captains are as forgettable as Kalos' Gym Leaders. Kukui is legit as is everyone in Team Skull and the Aether Foundation.

* The Tapus are cool. Ultra Beasts, less so. Solgaleo and Lunala are fine, I guess.

* Totem Pokémon are the worst. Bosses that spawn minions are never fun and thegame is littered with them.

* Guzma and Lusamine are fine. Team Plasma still GOAT though.

* The music is the strongest element of the game in my opinion.

Agree with you on the rest.

Gen 4 turned me off hard from Pokemon (hence why I didn't touch the series until now with Sun/Moon). I can't speak for the environment as I never finished the game but I recall my preteen/teenager self being pissed that the title legendaries were just getting more ridiculous in that they were lords of Space and Time, with the latter being a real kicker in that Pokemon already had Celebi (yeah I know, Celebi is a time-traveller, preteen/teenage me didn't give a shit though). Didn't help that said legendaries were also over designed and didn't relate at all with their theme of Space and Time in addition to Pokemon God Arceus coming into the fray.

It's odd because Gen 3 was my favorite for the longest time and that was the start of Pokemon amping up the scale from random wild legendaries to Pokemon lords of Land and Sea; I guess younger me didn't like expaning creation mythos beyond PokePlanet into the creation of the universe (Edit: Actually, universe creation is still stupid in Pokemon; less references to Arceus/Dialga/Palkia the better).

Busaiku

Totem Pokémon spawning new Pokémon is not bad, because you don't waste turns throwing Pokéballs.
It's stupid in regular encounters, if you're trying to catch something.

As others have said, it should've been a Totem only thing, or have different mechanics.

Sophocles, Lana, and Ilima (less do than the other 2) are definitely weaker, but the rest have much greater roles than any of the gym leaders previously.
Even then, all of the Trials expanded so much more on who they were and what defines them. And, I haven't actually done all the rematches, but Ilima got even more development there, so I would assume the same for the other 3.
Of course this doesn't include the Fairy Captain, who even resigns herself as a Route boss. She's the only one that feels more like a typical gym leader.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd argue the ghost girl and the the last one whose name I forgot are also weak.

I do like that S/M stepped down from the world ending disasters of the last few games. That itself made it the best story in Pokemon.
At the very least, it's still something I'd expect within the Pokemon world, that a villain would still use Pokemon because they see the possibilities with them. None of this Rocket shit.

Rowlet

Banned
Looks like the sun and moon anime bombed in Japan. It only scored a 4.4 which is well below xy opening and significantly lower than best wishes which almost scored a 10.0. The game did well though 😊

Busaiku

Looks like the sun and moon anime bombed in Japan. It only scored a 4.4 which is well below xy opening and significantly lower than best wishes which almost scored a 10.0. The game did well though 😊
Adcentures in Unova and Beyond, and later X/Y really killed the series.
It rarely ever hits the top 10s, and regularly fell below 3 in the last year.

Haven't been paying attention to Pokemon anime since... well Hoenn (haha), but wasn't X/Y doing good and being well-received? Atleast that's the impression I got from GAF.

PK Gaming

Looks like the sun and moon anime bombed in Japan. It only scored a 4.4 which is well below xy opening and significantly lower than best wishes which almost scored a 10.0. The game did well though ��

WHY

The Pokemon Sun & Moon anime is a genuinely good anime

It's fresh and fun in a way that Pokemon really hasn't been in years

And it's bombing?

Boss Doggie

The anime really has been falling so it's no surprise.

WHY

The Pokemon Sun & Moon anime is a genuinely good anime

It's fresh and fun in a way that Pokemon really hasn't been in years

And it's bombing?

Same reaction since XY.

Bitter fans upset that Serena wasn't endgame and Ash was in the finals with Legendary Prophecy Frog but still lost. Or it could just be that the anime rates poorly in general.

Hydrus

They should of ended XYZ the way the fans wanted it to with Ash winning, getting the girl and having a happy ending. Then start off this new anime with a new protagonist. Instead, its the same cycle of the last 20 years. This time tho, they pissed fans off way too much with XYZ. Not surprised people aren't coming back.

Rowlet

Banned
I wouldn't look too much into the actions of Serena fans; after all, XYZ's ratings took a huge nosedive after the league with the anime struggling to even score a 3.0.
Anyways, it will be interesting to see how the anime fairs from here on out.

Debirudog

Yeah, while I think Ash's mannerisms are honestly fine for the anime (at least he isn't a goddamn fool like in Best Wishes), I'm at the point where I feel like they were better off making a new character entirely.

Boss Doggie

I'm pissed that the final evos, except for the early gens, never get a happy meal toy.

Who wouldn't want a SPINNING ACTION INCINEROAR?

serena fans still salty I guess lol

How could they be salty when they got the best treatment out of all the female fans?

I'm pissed that the final evos, except for the early gens, never get a happy meal toy.

Who wouldn't want a SPINNING ACTION INCINEROAR?

How could they be salty when they got the best treatment out of all the female fans?

eh believe me, some of her fans are still salty until today because she isn't in alola arc (yet). while I do know those are really a tiny subset, it does get annoying sometimes. I guess they want to get like misty fans treatment where misty is in 2 different regions/arcs (on top of everything that the studio has given them in xy)

as for happy meal toy, I think I only bothered getting reshiram ones back in 2012 or 2013, can't remember which one lol.

Boss Doggie

eh believe me, some of her fans are still salty until today because she isn't in alola arc (yet). while I do know those are really a tiny subset, it does get annoying sometimes. I guess they want to get like misty fans treatment where misty is in 2 different regions/arcs (on top of everything that the studio has given them in xy)

as for happy meal toy, I think I only bothered getting reshiram ones back in 2012 or 2013, can't remember which one lol.

The happy meals I keep seeing are either the starters + pikachu + pikaclone, lucario, the legendaries, and gen 1 final evos. I think the only ones I enjoyed are Reshirom/Zekrom BW happy meal toys because they could pass for a figure and their gimmick isn't exaggerated (light tails).

Ah so basically the more... extreme ones. They should be happy because Serena has pretty much gotten the Doraemon endgame which something no other female has gotten.

L.O.R.D

Mimikyu in the games vs the anime:

the game

CyDzW-LW8AAA9--.jpg

CyDzbNnWIAAJy0l.jpg

the anime

CyDzdloXAAAaXVe.jpg

CyDzengWEAEYM1H.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
CyEb8XnWQAEnJY9.jpg

I always laugh with this. I guess he's using his tail to hang like that but it's still hilarious to me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just watched episode 3 and 4 of the Sun and Moon animé, despite my initial fear of the Rotom Dex making the series similar to Yo-kai Watch he's actually not that bad.

I will be sticking with the animé as I am just enjoying it.

>They should take a few lessons from From Software before I consider buying any of their games again
oh man I shouldn't have read that lack of challenge thread.

Hey guys, can I put my Pokemon back and forth from my bank to either X or Ruby and back to the bank and to the other game?

you can trade them back and forth between X and Ruby

they are they only two games compatible with bank right now so i don't know how the other games will eventually work

MAtgS

They should of ended XYZ the way the fans wanted it to with Ash winning, getting the girl and having a happy ending. Then start off this new anime with a new protagonist. Instead, its the same cycle of the last 20 years. This time tho, they pissed fans off way too much with XYZ. Not surprised people aren't coming back.

Oh they should've retired Ash way sooner than that.

Wiseblade

you can trade them back and forth between X and Ruby

they are they only two games compatible with bank right now so i don't know how the other games will eventually work
The Pokémon website makes it clear that once a Pokémon touches Alola, it can't go back to Gen VI.

I always find it funny when Ash mentions things that happened wayyy in the past. The show resets his character, but only kinda resests his achievements. Of course they'll probably avoid mentioning that he made it to league in 6 other regions, but he will mention something about how he has a lot of Tauros.

Roman

So for those wondering about the PokeGAF Showdown Gym League - it's still happening, but we've been tinkering with a couple unexpected ideas.

Most importantly we're working on having our own Showdown server, so that we can automate badge and EXP distribution, as well as tournaments, and tie all that directly to accounts.

We've filled at least 8 Gyms with Leaders now, so theoretically we could start after testing the server. However, we're still missing an artist for small things like badges and Gym crests etc.
I would consider making an OP without art, but would strongly prefer it if we still somehow find an artist!

I should have more news concerning the server tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Until then, here is the Signup sheet and here our Discord server to discuss everything. It also contains a text file that explains the whole planned system and rules.

Feel free to notify us in case you would like to be a Gym Leader!

Boss Doggie

I always find it funny when Ash mentions things that happened wayyy in the past. The show resets his character, but only kinda resests his achievements. Of course they'll probably avoid mentioning that he made it to league in 6 other regions, but he will mention something about how he has a lot of Tauros.
The last time it happened was in BW, and only for Charizard. In XY he only stated "a Piplup reminded me of someone" but otherwise is self contained.

Also "reset" only happened in BW and seems like SM. If you watched OS, AG, DP, and XY there's a clear progression on his character.

So for those wondering about the PokeGAF Showdown Gym League - it's still happening, but we've been tinkering with a couple unexpected ideas.

Most importantly we're working on having our own Showdown server, so that we can automate badge and EXP distribution, as well as tournaments, and tie all that directly to accounts.

We've filled at least 8 Gyms with Leaders now, so theoretically we could start after testing the server. However, we're still missing an artist for small things like badges and Gym crests etc.
I would consider making an OP without art, but would strongly prefer it if we still somehow find an artist!

I should have more news concerning the server tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Until then, here is the Signup sheet and here our Discord server to discuss everything. It also contains a text file that explains the whole planned system and rules.

Feel free to notify us in case you would like to be a Gym Leader!

I still need to make and test the team for my gym lol

Does anyone happen to have a spare Rock Head Tyrunt that they could trade me? My brother is trying to make a team in X and wants to breed a good Tyrunt to transfer to Sun in January, but he has no connections. Lol.

Dimmle

This is pretty easily the best single player Pokemon in my book. It certainly isn't the most Pokemon but the story is more engaging and interesting than any of the previous gens. Previously I would have said GSC takes it but having played Crystal and SM relatively side-by-side, this is the one for me. It even has emotional beats that don't fall completely flat.

I'm also getting the creeping feeling that we're going to return to
Kanto again before Sinnoh

Mr-Joker

Banned
>They should take a few lessons from From Software before I consider buying any of their games again
oh man I shouldn't have read that lack of challenge thread.

I never take From Software fans seriously.

Now I can't vouch for Sun and Moon difficulty but from what I played so far from the start to the Pokémon School I have been challenged a bit as I only had two Pokémon and had to use the gift Munchlax and catch a Caterpie and evolve it into a Butterfree.

Now at first I thought it was because I didn't have my trusty Charmander but I remember the early part of Pokémon Y when I didn't have him and how easy it was.

KingDirk

Asked in the main thread but does anybody have a spare Destiny Knot? Grinding the Battle Tree when half of the reason I want the Destiny Knot is for it is frustrating me...

Boss Doggie

I never take From Software fans seriously.

Now I can't vouch for Sun and Moon difficulty but from what I played so far from the start to the Pokémon School I have been challenged a bit as I only had two Pokémon and had to use the gift Munchlax and catch a Caterpie and evolve it into a Butterfree.

Now at first I thought it was because I didn't have my trusty Charmander but I remember the early part of Pokémon Y when I didn't have him and how easy it was.

you avoided catching mons?

Busaiku

Asked in the main thread but does anybody have a spare Destiny Knot? Grinding the Battle Tree when half of the reason I want the Destiny Knot is for it is frustrating me...
The best way to do it is by using the
Ultra Beasts in Doubles
At least, I thought so.

Top Bottom