• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Looks like that the Island Challenge is being incorporated into the anime after all.

Makes sense, I suppose- Ash needs to get a few Z-Crystals under his belt. Apparently Hala's showing up too- I wonder if Hau will be far behind?

It would be pretty funny if they had a league in the anime this time round, after all the speculation that Sun and Moon would leave it out.

he does a better pokemon throw in XY

problem is that he doesn't do the hat flip

giphy.gif

it is, the gs ball was suppose to play a big role in the johto series, but they scrapped the idea, so they added in a lot more filler episodes, gen 3 and 4 have contests to fill alot of episodes and the evil organizations play a much bigger role

Oh yeah. I remember the reveal of it being super lackluster. What was the initial plan for it?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
is the anime never gonna stop giving Ash a fire type starter that doesn't have a sob story

I've seen him throw it in the Kalos finals and it was lackluster. At least the instances I remember.

it didn't use his Kalos generic throw animation

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like how you guys started talking about the style of Ash throwing his Pokéball, they have always looked the same to me.

Is it the most fillery of the series? I'm expecting most of it to be like that from here on out.

Yep it gets stuck in a monotonous cycle;

-Ash and gang meets the NPC of the day,

-Said NPC is having problem with a Pokémon,

-Ash and gang try to help,

-Team Rocket try to steal Pokémon but end up helping the NPC of the day,

-Ash and Gang say goodbye.

I didn't watch the whole season but from the few episode I watch Ash very rarely used his Johto Pokémon nor did they get the focus in any of the episode.

it is, the gs ball was suppose to play a big role in the johto series, but they scrapped the idea, so they added in a lot more filler episodes,

The GS ball was only suppose to play a role in the early part of the season the show didn't get getting to filler territory till much later in the season around the Whirl Island arc.

gen 3 and 4 have contests to fill alot of episodes and the evil organizations play a much bigger role

It also helped that they shifted the focus onto Ash's Pokémon so they got episode to develop and any episode where they evolved was a grand event rather than being a non event.

Looks like that the Island Challenge is being incorporated into the anime after all.

I suspected as much, also since Ash is fighting Gumshoe does that mean that he's playing Sun version? ;p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The one thing I remember about Johto fillers is legitimately like every other episode the gang stumble upon a town that just so happens to be celebrating an extremely obscure and specific holiday. I feel like with Kanto they crafted episodes around a plot and then figured out which Pokemon to use (like the A.J. episode could've used any Pokemon other than Sandshrew and worked the exact same, same with Showdown in Dark City randomly making Electabuzz and Scyther rivals) but with Johto they started sort of using a checklist of "we need an episode based on this Pokemon". That's not always a bad thing, there's a lot of interesting plots you can do about most Pokemon, but most of the time they don't quite deliver and you lose that fun spontaneity the O.S. had.

That said I liked a lot of Master Quest fillers.

it didn't use his Kalos generic throw animation

Come on, you gotta use the better throw animations in the freakin league finals.

I just watched some videos showing off his Pokeball throws from all of the regions. I think one of the problems I have with his later throw animations are his facial expressions. I haven't seen much so I don't know if he ever throws it with that unsmiling serious face. The ones I keep seeing, he has a fierce smile when he throws it.

Yep it gets stuck in a monotonous cycle;

-Ash and gang meets the NPC of the day,

-Said NPC is having problem with a Pokémon,

-Ash and gang try to help,

-Team Rocket try to steal Pokémon but end up helping the NPC of the day,

-Ash and Gang say goodbye.

I didn't watch the whole season but from the few episode I watch Ash very rarely used his Johto Pokémon nor did they get the focus in any of the episode.

That's pretty much how it goes, lol. It's not ALL like that, but for the vast majority it feels that way. Only part that's wrong with what you're saying is I never felt like his Johto Pokemon didn't get enough focus. There was even one episode that's focused on the 3 starters fighting with each other, getting into trouble, and making up.

The one thing I remember about Johto fillers is legitimately like every other episode the gang stumble upon a town that just so happens to be celebrating an extremely obscure and specific holiday. I feel like with Kanto they crafted episodes around a plot and then figured out which Pokemon to use (like the A.J. episode could've used any Pokemon other than Sandshrew and worked the exact same, same with Showdown in Dark City randomly making Electabuzz and Scyther rivals) but with Johto they started sort of using a checklist of "we need an episode based on this Pokemon". That's not always a bad thing, there's a lot of interesting plots you can do about most Pokemon, but most of the time they don't quite deliver and you lose that fun spontaneity the O.S. had..

Good points.

So far, I'd probably rank the season like this:

1 > 2 >= 3 > 4(?)

I'm not done with with 4, but I think it has a chance at being placed a bit higher. I'll have to go through the episode list and review everything.

Actually, that ranking is hard to do. 1 is definitely the best. Not quite sure how I would rank the rest. I guess I'd need to go over the whole episode list so far to get a better idea. I definitely like Riche less than Brock, but Orange League might have felt less repetitive in episode structure.

Watch Da Birdie

Someone obviously didn't own the Scholastic Official Pokemon Handbook that used all the old-school anime stock art.

GoldStarz

Do they have limitations on switching Pokemon in the anime? I feel like anyone could abuse it so badly, but they just don't.

There are none, but really there should be because you're totally right. Honestly there are so many battles where my thoughts were literally "just switch out!!"

Boss Doggie

Do they have limitations on switching Pokemon in the anime? I feel like anyone could abuse it so badly, but they just don't.

if you watched the league finals of Kalos, Ash switched there

also he switched in some fights even as early as AG iirc

if you watched the league finals of Kalos, Ash switched there

also he switched in some fights even as early as AG iirc

He switches in Indigo League. I'm talking about constantly switching whenever they can get a better match up. (So like how I assume most people play Pokemon games)

I feel like I can recall an instance or two of Ash or someone doing that in Hoenn or Sinnoh, which might not seem like that much depending on how the battle goes.

But if it were actually a real world thing, I feel like there'd have to be limitations put on it, or else both trainers could just being going back in forth switching in and out Pokemon and never actually fighting until someone just gives in lol.

Wait, what's AG?

Watch the Ash vs Paul league battle, the writers had them both switching Pokémon frequently with Paul being using that tacit against Ash.

What a wimp, that Paul.

Gengahrrr

Heads up, I don't know if the date was ever announced, but the S/M anime has started airing on Disney XD despite the XYZ arc still running on Cartoon Network.

It looks like they skipped the opening entirely and just go straight to the episode title and TPCi still needs to recast Ash's dub VO.

Watch Da Birdie

The Gym Leaders are specifically forbidden from switching in the show though, the ref always mentions that only the challenger is allowed substitutions. That's like the only rule though.

And with Advanced, there's one episode where Ash recalls his Pokemon to cure it of confusion and then sends it right back out. It felt pretty cheap and odd so I get why the show doesn't have him do it more often.

GoldStarz

The Gym Leaders are specifically forbidden from switching in the show though, the ref always mentions that only the challenger is allowed substitutions. That's like the only rule though.

And with Advanced, there's one episode where Ash recalls his Pokemon to cure it of confusion and then sends it right back out. It felt pretty cheap and odd so I get why the show doesn't have him do it more often.

lmao I remember that episode for the sole reason of "Wait, that's actually a good play, why can't I do that?"

Heads up, I don't know if the date was ever announced, but the S/M anime has started airing on Disney XD despite the XYZ arc still running on Cartoon Network.

It looks like they skipped the opening entirely and just go straight to the episode title and TPCi still needs to recast Ash's dub VO.

It sounds like you just saw the preview.

I think I remember that lol.

Busaiku

Jessie's facial expressions were incredible.
This really felt more like an old carton tribute episode, like the Pokéball Factory.

Are the Elite Four battles ever shown in the anime? I know Ash never wins, but what about the people that do win? Do we ever even know how their Elite Four battles go? Did it ever at least talk address Alain going to challenge the Elite Four?

Wiseblade

Are the Elite Four battles ever shown in the anime? I know Ash never wins, but what about the people that do win? Do we ever even know how their Elite Four battles go? Did it ever at least talk address Alain going to challenge the Elite Four?
The Elite Four have appeared in the past and even battled Ash, I remember him battling Drake from the Hoenn Elite Four and the show featuring a battle between Flint and Cynthia. But I don't recall ever seeing them battle whoever won the tournament that year.

Mr-Joker

Banned

List of Elite 4 member who have appeared in the Animé

-Lorelei, though the Animé fucked up her name because 4Kids are idiots, appeared in the Orange island.

-Bruno, appeared during the first episode has a shadow cameo later appeared when Ash was preparing for the Kanto league.

-Agatha, appeared and fought Ash when he returned to Kanto after finishing the Hoenn league.

-Lance, appeared in Johto as the champion later returned in Hoenn for some reason.

-Will, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Koga, appeared in Kanto as a gymleader and Ash battled him and won thus making it the second time he won a gym badge with his battling skill.

-Karen, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Sidney, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Phoebe, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Glacia, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Drake, appeared in Hoenn, Ash battled him.

-Aaron, appeared in Sinnoh.

-Bertha, appeared in Sinnoh, Ash battled her.

-Flint, appeared in Sinnoh, Ash battled him.

-Lucian, appeared in Sinnoh, Dawn battled him.

Note Aaron, Flint and Lucian all battled Cynthia, they all lost to the best Champion ever.

-Caitlin appeared in Unova, battled Cynthia.

-Shauntal, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Marshal, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Grimsley, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

-Malva, appeared in Kalos, battled Alain in the Mega Evolution Special and lost.

-Siebold, only appeared in the Mega Evolution Special where he battled Alain and lost he has not met Ash.

-Wikstrom, appeared as a cameo in Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction.

-Drasna, has yet to make an appearance in the Animé.

So only the Kanto and Sinnoh elite 4 member were shown, with Sinnoh all being shown in the same region, Lance didn't appear till Ash went to Johto.

Also Alain is the only league champion who has won against two elite 4 members, though that was before he took on the Kalos league.

Boss Doggie

Uh, Alain didn't win his fight with Siebold. He defeated Malva, but it has an air of "I was playing with you".

huh

seeing how Grimsley never showed up in the anime makes wonder if he is going to show up in the SM anime

i also wonder if Kahili will show up as well

Some more questions. Can people who lose league just enter again next year without needing to renew, or do they expire? The tournament is yearly, right? Do all of the regions have their tournaments around the same time?

Boss Doggie

Some more questions. Can people who lose league just enter again next year without needing to renew, or do they expire? The tournament is yearly, right? Do all of the regions have their tournaments around the same time?

there's no limitation

Top Bottom