• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Izayoi

Banned
new Christmas jumper purchased

11339433-5704422833263101.jpg
Where? I need this.

Theorymon

I'm a bit late with this news (this happened like 2 days ago or so), but I figure I should give you guys the heads up:

Nugget Bridge got hacked, and in it where clear text passwords of a TON of users!

There's already been a few instances of Smogon accounts and twitter accounts getting broken into because of this, so if you share passwords with other sites (hint: don't do that!), you should really change them now!

Is there a list somewhere that lists all the Pokemon and says the latest game I can get each one in? Without having to go through Bulbapedia and check each one.

Is there a list somewhere that lists all the Pokemon and says the latest game I can get each one in? Without having to go through Bulbapedia and check each one.

Can't help with a list, but it's gonna be XY, ORAS or Sun/Moon.

Between XY and ORAS, you can get all non-Mythical Gen 1 to 6 Pokemon--and you can get all Mythical Pokemon if you downloaded the events.

Articalys

Alright, finished the postgame, and, well... yeah. Suppose you guys were cackling madly after my last post on "predictability", huh. Either I read too far into some of the prerelease speculation, or Game Freak can be some master trolls sometimes, or I don't know what.
In my slight defense, I had only arrived on Aether for the first time when I made that post and din't realize all the UB stuff was going to be shunted into a boring postgame fetch quest. But seriously what's the point of leaving an empty plot of land -- with construction material -- like that in every major town?

So... guess I just go round up everything in the local dexes while waiting for Bank connectivity or something.

Was feeling happier about the game after finishing the main story, but now I'm starting to agree with how much people are dragging Game Freak in the thread about the global mission failure and realized a lot of this game was probably impacted negatively by the decision to make the third version for Switch.

Kukui and Lillie are still some of the best characters in the series though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Alright, finished the postgame, and, well... yeah. Suppose you guys were cackling madly after my last post on "predictability", huh. Either I read too far into some of the prerelease speculation, or Game Freak can be some master trolls sometimes, or I don't know what.
In my slight defense, I had only arrived on Aether for the first time when I made that post and din't realize all the UB stuff was going to be shunted into a boring postgame fetch quest. But seriously what's the point of leaving an empty plot of land -- with construction material -- like that in every major town?
/quote]

you know what the best resident evil character say

STARS

Articalys

Eh, looking for any other content I missed and got spoiled on the
title defense mechanic, though I really don't care -- I was kind of wondering what would happen for subsequent league runs and would probably have done one eventually. Sounds like just a way to keep them from being monotonous and just a neat treat, nothing major.

Also inadvertently stumbled across
how to obtain Cosmog
, which I probably never would have even thought of doing without learning about it. Dunno if there's any hints in the game for it either.

Oh yeah, realized I probably need to
hit up the ruins and catch the Tapus.

Anybody make a map of Zygarde cells?
you know what the best resident evil character say

STARS
Would be nice but I don't think they'd make the effort to do that. Who knows though.

Boss Doggie

But primarily my gripe on Alola are two - the cutscene overload (which ironically made me hate Lillie) and the rather wasted region potential - Alola is rife with lore and the tropical setting made it ideal for exploration but the routes are so narrow and linear with very little twists that you never really have that feeling of exploration.

Articalys

Yeah, breaking up the larger world map into the four islands didn't really work out as well in practice as in theory. I was fine with the cutscenes themselves, but not a fan of having an permanent destination flag marker letting you know where the next event would be triggered, or with the Rotomdex's need to comment after every single plot development, which had been one of my biggest fears going in. Thankfully it never actually interrupted gameplay, but was just annoying.

I'll probably make a series of longer posts with more thoughts on the story, gameplay, and such over the weekend, if anyone cares.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, breaking up the larger world map into the four islands didn't really work out as well in practice as in theory. I was fine with the cutscenes themselves, but not a fan of having an permanent destination flag marker letting you know where the next event would be triggered, or with the Rotomdex's need to comment after every single plot development, which had been one of my biggest fears going in. Thankfully it never actually interrupted gameplay, but was just annoying.

I'll probably make a series of longer posts with more thoughts on the story, gameplay, and such over the weekend, if anyone cares.

Sure, I think it's fine in the community.

What are the chances of Stars changing the maps to make them more explorable?

Wiseblade

How has Farfetch'd not gotten an evolution?
Because both of those are hideous and not everything needs to evolve. I don't think GF are interested in adding new Evolutions anymore too. None in Gen V or VII and the only one in VI was Sylveon.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a Mega Evolution where the only change is it pulls out a second Stick and gets an ability boosting "sword/cutting" moves.

Boss Doggie

it misses the point of farfetch'd

that's a problem I see with many Pokemon fans - they only see a creature, they don't see the inspiration or the motif, if you give farfetch'd an evolution you take away its motif, hell those two fanarts probably don't even know why farfetch'd has a leek and thinks it's a weapon

it's why you get garbage like those fake litten 3rd evo

ash_ag

Fuck a motif. #MakeFarfetch'dGreat

I completely agree that Farfetch'd getting an evolution would ruin its concept. However, I do think it could benefit from a Mega Evolution, considering it is not considered "natural". I hope they use Megas sparingly moving forward, and Mega Farfetch'd is one of those cases I'm actively interested in seeing. The alternative would be a unique Z-Crystal that makes it useful in battle.

Boss Doggie

I completely agree that Farfetch'd getting an evolution would ruin its concept. However, I do think it could benefit from a Mega Evolution, considering it is not considered "natural". I hope they use Megas sparingly moving forward, and Mega Farfetch'd is one of those cases I'm actively interested in seeing. The alternative would be a unique Z-Crystal that makes it useful in battle.

maybe make him like Dan Hibiki and has a special ability when it mega evolves, give him x4 in all stats but after 4 turns he faints

What does that have to do with a duck coming ready to cook?
To further the original concept and to make the new ability work, have Farfetch'd in a pot of water slowly coming to a boil. It would do this to push itself to its limits despite being incredibly dangerous to itself, like the new Mega Pokedex entries seem to imply. Having the pot would explain the increase to the defenses, increasing temperature could be used to explain the increase to attack, and the urgency of the ability would explain the speed increase.

As for how it moves, I have no idea. Maybe make the pot have hover abilities or something? It's all theoretical anyway.

The concept of those fan designs are awesome. Not necessarily the designs themselves. An evolutionary line of Samurai birds? Sign me up. I don't think the first one even looks try-hard. It looks pretty simple and natural. The second one I posted comes off as "try-hard" but that's what I think of many of the Pokemon designs anyway so whatever.

Boss Doggie

What does that have to do with a duck coming ready to cook?

Cooking.

Also don't forget that Farfetch'd actual motif is "too good to be true". At the very least, he's "too good to be useful".

The concept of those fan designs are awesome. An evolutionary line of Samurai birds? Sign me up. I don't think the first one even looks try-hard. It looks pretty simple and natural. The second one I posted comes off as "try-hard" but that's what I think of many of the Pokemon designs anyway so whatever.

Farfetch'd is not a samurai.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Farfetch'd becoming a samurai isn't a stretch by any means, the PokeDex mentions him using his leek like a sword and he learns Aerial Ace and Night Slash naturally, both originally named after samurai techniques, and was heavily associated with Cut which also is named after a samurai technique.

I'm kind of disappointed S/M didn't have him learn Cut naturally now that it's not an HM. Buff it into a priority move now too. Hell, just realized until Bank comes the only Pokemon that can have it right now is Kartana!

Mr-Joker

Banned

Because Farfetch'd is suppose to be a joke Pokémon in where he isn't very strong and his only redeeming quality is that he carries a leek thus making him the perfect meal for chief.

He could get a mega where instead of him getting the power boost it's the leek that gets it.

Because both of those are hideous and not everything needs to evolve. I don't think GF are interested in adding new Evolutions anymore too. None in Gen V or VII and the only one in VI was Sylveon.

Odd numbered generation don't tend to get cross gen evolution and they probably did one in gen 6 as Mega were the focus.

I do hope that in gen 8 cross gen evolution return as Alola form and Mega just don't have the same feeling.

I was playing through Black 2 and I'm wondering why the DNA Splicers even exist in the first place. Are they artificial or something? It's confusing why something that fuses the dragons together would exist naturally and why Kyurem is the one in control.

Clefargle

Ugh, trying to find a legit 6IV ditto on GTS is difficult. I found one that would trade for my type:null but there is no way to tell if it is legit. I already threw away an UB for a mislabeled one

GoldStarz

I was playing through Black 2 and I'm wondering why the DNA Splicers even exist in the first place. Are they artificial or something? It's confusing why something that fuses the dragons together would exist naturally and why Kyurem is the one in control.

I can't tell you why they exists, but the reason that Kyurem is in control is most likely because
Kyurem is the leftover husk of the body of the Original Dragon before it split itself into Zekrom and Reshiram.

It's possible that the DNA splicers were made with
recreating the Original Dragon in mind.

delibird evolution when

evolution requirement: be good for a whole year

Boss Doggie

Basically the whole idea of Farfetch'd is mostly rooted on the Japanese saying about "how it's unlikely you'll meet a duck with its garnish out of coincidence" alluding that "it's too good to be true" as well as "a sucker is born every minute". It's why in RBY you only get it via trade with Spearow - because it sounds like a super rare Pokemon that surely it's good right? It's one of the very few pre-Gen 4 English names that got the localization right. It is really farfetched to find a meal with its garnish on hand, as much as it is farfetched to be rare and good.

Wiseblade

I promised myself I'd never watch the anime again, but that animation... Why is Pokémon one of the best looking shows currently airing?

spiritfox

I hope that after all these 20th anniversary stuff is over we don't get as much gen 1 pandering.

What am I saying, we'll get gen 1 pandering forever.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm kind of disappointed we won't see how S/M's style will look with a movie budget.

Not expecting much from this, usually "movie remakes anime" films turn out pretty poorly right?

Puruzi

Banned
That's less a summary of the new animation techniques and more a rant criticising people who don't know what they're talking about. I agree that people have been lining up to call S&M's animation bad for daring to go off model or having less design complexity in pursuit of animation freedom. In this instance they've been embarrassing themselves, but I can definitely think of at least one case that went too far: The Pain fight in Naruto. Those characters simply weren't designed to be manipulated to those extremes.

Pokémon S&M doesn't go nearly as far and has characters that are built to be stretched. I'd argue that Ash comes out of the transition worse and the lighting has a bad habit of giving hair a rubbery sheen, but those are minor nitpicks with what is undoubtedly the best looking long running anime I've ever seen.

He does actually talk about the new methods they've used for animation later on in the video for a bit with toonboom and all

Top Bottom