• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Articalys

Poked my head back into the game OT for a bit, but forgot that even only a month in, discussion is primarily all shiny hunting, optimized competitive builds and movesets, and people with perfect IV farms already set up handing out boxes of rejects that didn't have the right nature. That's all a world I'll never be able to comprehend.

Wiseblade

He does actually talk about the new methods they've used for animation later on in the video for a bit with toonboom and all
Yeah, but the majority of the runtime is dedicated to taking shots at other channels and even when talking about the new techniques, he's taking sideways swipes at others. I just would have preferred a video that didn't take so much time eviscerating people I knew were wrong to begin with.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Poked my head back into the game OT for a bit, but forgot that even only a month in, discussion is primarily all shiny hunting, optimized competitive builds and movesets, and people with perfect IV farms already set up handing out boxes of rejects that didn't have the right nature. That's all a world I'll never be able to comprehend.

I know how all those things work yet never bothered to do most lol

the most I do is EV training, since most of the time I tend to get good IVs anyway.

Sou Da

Has it ever been discussed why starters are never found in the wild?

Stuff like that is best reserved for the anime where the wordbuilding doesn't have to make way for game mechanics.

In the anime starters are just rare-ish Pokemon of which some are bred in secret reservations to be given to Trainers because of how easy they are to raise.

Articalys

Well most of us have finished the main game already so what else is there to talk about.
I mean, yeah, I guess, just didn't think it would go from 0 to hardcore that fast.

-----------------

What's the overall impressions of the new anime season so far? From what I'm hearing the characters are competent, it's just the zany comedy focus that might make people wary coming directly off of the ultimate badass shonen atmosphere of XYZ.

Boss Doggie

When did Pokémon Centers start treating humans too.
Is that guy from Kanto jobless now or something.

they've been doing that as far as johto iirc

they even have lodging there, remember when back then they only sleep on chairs?

Puruzi

Banned
I mean, yeah, I guess, just didn't think it would go from 0 to hardcore that fast.

-----------------

What's the overall impressions of the new anime season so far? From what I'm hearing the characters are competent, it's just the zany comedy focus that might make people wary coming directly off of the ultimate badass shonen atmosphere of XYZ.

It's not super zany really, it's just more laid back. Looks really nice and the battles are still cool. Liking it a whole lot.

Mr-Joker

Banned
oh wow ash didn't catch the litten this ep

He's totally catching that Litten, just that the writer are going have that Ash will have to slowly build up trust between him and Litten.

I also suspect that it will be a bittersweet capture as the Stoutland will die leaving Litten all alone till he joins Ash.

Boss Doggie

man I love the various Incineroar fanart (that are not furry-centric), because people depict him just as a big cat so you have shit like laser pointers and boxes

Busaiku

Hospitals also exist. They had to turn one into a makeshift Pokemon Center in one early anime episode. The doctor on call initially was not pleased lol.
Right, I mentioned that initially, but the thing is, they never showed human hospitals since, and Pokémon Centers now serve that function.

ash_ag

So, I went to look up the official assignments of each material released of the anime to determine the number of "regular" TV anime episodes. I used various sources and cross-referenced with current stats on the official site. Not counting whatever has aired of SM, here's what I ended up with:

Listed on the official site:
- 936 regular episodes
- 6 side-story episodes (2 DP-based, 2 BW-based, 2 XY-based)
- 4 Mega Evolution episodes

Not listed on the official site:
- 1 banned regular episode (Porygon)
- 4 misplaced regular episodes (two pairs following Porygon)
- 3 unaired regular episodes (Whiscash, 2x Rocket vs Plasma)

All of the above are considered "normal" TV anime episodes tied directly to the main anime and its respective time-slot, even if the side-stories and the Mega Evolution episodes don't feature Ash.

In addition to these, there is one mini-series that aired on a different slot, but featured episodes identical in form to the above:
- 18 Pocket Monsters: Side Stories episodes

There are more material that aired on TV, including 2 TV movies, several shorts, and plenty specials. Some do have regular episode length, but they are officially assigned as OVAs (eg., Pikachu's Winter Breaks), have different format (eg., the 3 Mystery Dungeon specials), or are altogether not part of the regular series production-wise (eg. Pokémon Origins).

So, it's hard to say which episode in particular will be considered the "1000th" one, since it's hard to tell what counts and what doesn't count. But adding up the above 7 groups, gives us production-wise 972 episodes, 954 if one doesn't count the SS series due to its separate time-slot, or 944 without any side-story episode counted. Add in the 9 SM episodes so far, and the anime has:
- 953 / 963 / 981 episodes

We're getting pretty close to 1000. I wonder if the series will acknowledge that, and if so, at what point.

Kyzer

Banned
I hope that after all these 20th anniversary stuff is over we don't get as much gen 1 pandering.

What am I saying, we'll get gen 1 pandering forever.

Lol well yeah. If by pandering you mean them including things from gen 1, or giving it attention, then yes continue to expect more "pandering". Forever. Its almost as if gen 1 was special or something...

You guys call it pandering as if GF doesnt even really like gen 1, and are only giving it attention to appease some subset of fans. In reality it's legitimately the most popular gen and the ridiculously successful foundation for the entire series, and the developers love it too. So its not pandering... Its authentic love. I guess its easy to call something that pleases a large group of people but that you dont care for "pandering". Just for example, im sure to many republicans, prison reform and civil rights issues are just pandering, because it doesnt matter to them, and therefore they dont see how it could possibly be a real issue to others.

Anti-Gen1 sentiment is far more rampant on neogaf than the occasional casuals/genwunners who pop in to say everything was only good in gen 1. Really makes you think.

Boss Doggie

Seriously? Making a political comparison?

And it is called out because there are other big long running franchises that don't suffer from this.

Kyzer

Banned
Seriously? Making a political comparison?

And it is called out because there are other big long running franchises that don't suffer from this.

Yeah that's where the most common use of the word pandering can be found, so why not? Pandering has a very specific meaning. I really don't think pandering has many other genuine uses other than in politics, where possibly being disingenuous in order to appeal to people is actually part of the process...

And even the way you word gen 1 getting love as the franchise "suffering' from something reveals your outlook to be negative, which is at odds with the entire premise of throwbacks and homages. It's not just some fake grab at appealing to people when the people making the freaking games actually love gen 1. Calling it all pandering, imo, you might as well say "I don't enjoy gen 1 getting so much attention" because that's much more accurate and realistic, that you have a personal issue with it, than trying to paint gen 1 appeal as pandering, which it is not.

spiritfox

Pandering in the nostalgia sense, please. Why are you even bringing politics when the subject in question is not even about it.

There is certainly a favoritism towards gen 1, for a good reason. But I just want the other regions to have some love too. After XY and its focus towards gen 1 I was hoping for a step back too, and given how Hawaii is a US state I was hoping for a little more Unovan representation. But all we had were 5 sec cameos of Grimsley and Colress.

I know the Pokemon world is not the real world so don't even start on that.

And why are Alolan forms limited to gen 1?

Boss Doggie

Yeah that's where the most common use of the word pandering can be found, so why not? Pandering has a very specific meaning. I really don't think pandering has many other genuine uses other than in politics, where possibly being disingenuous in order to appeal to people is actually part of the process...

And even the way you word gen 1 getting love as the franchise "suffering' from something reveals your outlook to be negative, which is at odds with the entire premise of throwbacks and homages. It's not just some fake grab at appealing to people when the people making the freaking games actually love gen 1. Calling it all pandering, imo, you might as well say "I don't enjoy gen 1 getting so much attention" because that's much more accurate and realistic, that you have a personal issue with it, than trying to paint gen 1 appeal as pandering, which it is not.

Well yeah that's the idea of pandering, to sell towards the people that love it, I mean it wouldn't make sense if you're trying to sell something that is not "current" but is not loved.

I'll make an example of a franchise that did it recently - there's Super Sentai and their current show, Zyuohger, had a crossover two-parter with Gokaiger. Now Gokaiger is thoroughly loved and have many fans until today, so much so that they sold so much of Bandai's toys. You'd expect the crossover to glorify them, but nope, both teams bounce each other off in the two-parter, actually progressed the show's plot (a rarity in crossovers for this series), and even the special ending that started with the Gokaiger kicking the Zyuohger as though they are "stealing" the credits ends in the second part's ending with the Zyuohger returning the favor.

Rather than trying to latch onto the thing that sold them so much and the people with nostalgia, they actually wrapped it up in a way that blends well with the current material, not making them stand out with the favoritism.

Hell even in the Dr. Who / Star Trek IDW crossover comic, it focused on multiple iterations of the franchises rather than say, the first doctor or just TOS, they picked multiple ones.

Kyzer

Banned
Pandering in the nostalgia sense, please. Why are you even bringing politics when the subject in question is not even about it.

There is certainly a favoritism towards gen 1, for a good reason. But I just want the other regions to have some love too. After XY and its focus towards gen 1 I was hoping for a step back too, and given how Hawaii is a US state I was hoping for a little more Unovan representation. But all we had were 5 sec cameos of Grimsley and Colress.

I know the Pokemon world is not the real world so don't even start on that.

And why are Alolan forms limited to gen 1?

That's reasonable, I don't disagree with you. Alola forms are gen 1 as an homage to gen 1, like you said there's a favoritism but it's actually rooted in reality.

Well yeah that's the idea of pandering, to sell towards the people that love it, I mean it wouldn't make sense if you're trying to sell something that is not "current" but is not loved.

I'll make an example of a franchise that did it recently - there's Super Sentai and their current show, Zyuohger, had a crossover two-parter with Gokaiger. Now Gokaiger is thoroughly loved and have many fans until today, so much so that they sold so much of Bandai's toys. You'd expect the crossover to glorify them, but nope, both teams bounce each other off in the two-parter, actually progressed the show's plot (a rarity in crossovers for this series), and even the special ending that started with the Gokaiger kicking the Zyuohger as though they are "stealing" the credits ends in the second part's ending with the Zyuohger returning the favor.

Rather than trying to latch onto the thing that sold them so much and the people with nostalgia, they actually wrapped it up in a way that blends well with the current material, not making them stand out with the favoritism.

Hell even in the Dr. Who / Star Trek IDW crossover comic, it focused on multiple iterations of the franchises rather than say, the first doctor or just TOS, they picked multiple ones.

All of the franchises you mentioned constantly have homages and throwbacks to the original series ... And are you telling me if Sun/Moon was a two part game that had half gen 1 as the plot like super sentai it would be better? Like how is that a better example of how to integrate gen 1

And you're saying all these things as if , again, it's a bad thing, whilst simultaneously acknowledging that gen 1 is loved so you're kind of answering your own concerns. Gen 1 is actually loved by a lot of people, actually does sell well, and even the developers have a special place in their heart for it. I don't see a problem with it except for feeling bad that other gens don't get special treatment in the same regard but it actually makes sense that gen 1 gets so much love, you know? I'm just saying it's not pandering, that's not howbyou use the word, and quite frankly if you relegate everything gen 1 to pandering it's an inherent implication that you just have a personal issue with gen 1 getting attention, be it gripes with gen 1 or a desire for other gens to get the treatment instead.

Maybe if the Pokemon franchise gets outsourced to another developer and it's chock full of gen 1 references we can call it pandering. But if the people making the game love gen 1 and the fans of the series respond well to it in an authentic way, its just a part of the series. Not to mention the fact that when gen 1 "pandering" has been a thing since literally gen 2, I think it's time to accept that gen 1 has a permanent place in the series pantheon

spiritfox

Not to mention the fact that when gen 1 "pandering" has been a thing since literally gen 2, I think it's time to accept that gen 1 has a permanent place in the series pantheon

I don't know, gens 3-5 survived pretty well without much mention of Kanto outside of the remakes.

I just feel that focusing too much on gen 1 both reduces the uniqueness of the current gen (the gen 6 starters got overshadowed by the gen 1 starters you're given later), and pushes out other cameos from other gens, like what I mentioned earlier.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't know, gens 3-5 survived pretty well without much mention of Kanto outside of the remakes.

I just feel that focusing too much on gen 1 both reduces the uniqueness of the current gen (the gen 6 starters got overshadowed by the gen 1 starters you're given later), and pushes out other cameos from other gens, like what I mentioned earlier.

Gen 3 literally had FRLG which were gen 1 remakes, gen 4 had Kanto in HGSS, and Gen 5 had not only an entire game paralleling RBY (BW), but the sequels brought back characters in PWT. I'll give you gen 5 being the most insular though

spiritfox

"Other than the entire gen 1 games being remade, gen 3 didn't even have very much gen 1 stuff."?

I guess you're right lol

I guess I should rephrase that.

RSE and DPPt survived pretty well without much mention of Kanto. The games stood on their own, and didn't rely on "hey there remember this thing from years ago winkwink" nostalgia. XY was particularly annoying partly because of that (and the fact that the characters were bad too but anyway).

Kyzer

Banned

RSE and DPPt survived pretty well without much mention of Kanto. The games stood on their own, and didn't rely on "hey there remember this thing from years ago winkwink" nostalgia. XY was particularly annoying partly because of that (and the fact that the characters were bad too but anyway).

Are you saying gens 2 and 6 relied on and literally only survived because of gen 1 references?

It's an element of all the games, but saying they all relied on gen 1 and that's all the games were is kinda blowing it out of proportion

Yeah, and BW went pretty hard in the opposite direction (only new stuff til postgame but there was a lot of it) and I think the game was better for it.

Are you saying gens 2 and 6 relied on and literally only survived because of gen 1 references?

It's an element of all the games, but saying they all relied on gen 1 and that's all the games were is kinda blowing it out of proportion

I think that person is saying Gen 3 and 4 new regions were good while not having a significant nostalgia hook connecting them to Gen 1, proving that such a thing (a good game with few or no Gen 1 connections) is totally possible.

Top Bottom