• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

MAtgS

could be anyone in particular

hell with all the tracey x misty being canon might as well be him

Thought it was TraceyxDaisy that was borderline canon.

But whatever, detracting from my original point: the kind of writers that would be bold enough to go through with Amourshipping would've been bold enough to make 1 of the earlier ships canon back then.

JoeM86

TPC needs a back up plan for the future of the franchise in case the dedicated handheld market shrivels up and dies, they can't assume it will always be relevant it would be very short-sided to do so and they know that. Go is their first real test of the mobile market on a serious scale. Assuming the game actually ends up being the game they initially hyped it to be of course.

Mobile is not the future though. The Pokémon Company knows that.

In the last year, 3 Pokémon apps have failed resulting in support getting dropped...two of them weren't even a year old, and Pokémon Shuffle isn't doing as well as they'd like.

Just because one thing is a success doesn't mean the future is there.

Kyzer

Banned
TPC needs a back up plan for the future of the franchise in case the dedicated handheld market shrivels up and dies, they can't assume it will always be relevant it would be very short-sided to do so and they know that. Go is their first real test of the mobile market on a serious scale. Assuming the game actually ends up being the game they initially hyped it to be of course.

I see what you're saying but realistically its not like they have to have another sequel ready to launch the moment handheld dies. It'll be a lengthy process and so would developing whatever a "backup plan" would be. And I think Go is gonna be huge but wasn't originally going to be. Viral and great reception got Google and Nintendo to invest heavily and now I think it's being treated as a AAA title

I see what you're saying but realistically its not like they have to have another sequel ready to launch the moment handheld dies. It'll be a lengthy process and so would developing whatever a "backup plan" would be. And I think Go is gonna be huge but wasn't originally going to be. Viral and great reception got Google and Nintendo to invest heavily and now I think it's being treated as a AAA title

It will ultimately boil down to what makes TPCi/Nintendo more money in the long term. If GO can maintain high profits that end up exceeding the main series games then yeah, I'd say they'd move their future plans to mobile. But honestly I don't see a shift from the main games to GO amongst the majority of fans. Just look at how much even remakes do for the series. The mainline Pokemon games still have an enormous pull, people are clamouring for Z like nothing else. The fans are rabid at their first gap year since 2008 (talking western only here). GO would have to be something pretty special amongst the mobile market for it to maintain longevity and with the way mobile users typically are, they'll play it for a bit and then move onto the next big thing. Case in point: the Angry Birds bubble bursting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The impact on the wall Sceptile makes while getting rekt still gets me lol

Thought it was TraceyxDaisy that was borderline canon.

But whatever, detracting from my original point: the kind of writers that would be bold enough to go through with Amourshipping would've been bold enough to make 1 of the earlier ships canon back then.

It was Misty, the two have been seeing each other, been referenced a lot with being together, and they even had an egg.

Anyway, not with Shudo around. And that ep came around... I think Johto or Hoenn era? So it's far already from Misty being part of the gang.

Busaiku

Mobile is not the future though. The Pokémon Company knows that.

In the last year, 3 Pokémon apps have failed resulting in support getting dropped...two of them weren't even a year old, and Pokémon Shuffle isn't doing as well as they'd like.

Just because one thing is a success doesn't mean the future is there.
It could be the future, but they have to hit the right chords.
This isn't easy of course, and rarely do companies hit major success, let alone multiple successes, but it is possible.
Square Enix, Bandai Namco, and Sega have all released multiple huge hits, and continue to do so. They've had some duds, but their successes hit it out of the park.

Unless Nintendo can turn around NX, mobile is the next best place for the franchise without compromising the vision.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not quite- YOU don't care. I can assure you that TPCi cares a great deal.

I wish that TPCi would start caring more about the European market, their effort compare the US has been pitiful.

Forgive me, I mis-spoke.

Nobody will care when they see it's nothing like that trailer.

I fully expect GO to start high and then collapse.

Yep, GO will crash and burn. Which is fine by me.

Yeah but isn't the message different, like "it wouldn't go up further"?

Nope in gen 1 it would say "But it failed" they changed it in later generation.

Cheebo

Banned
This isn't easy of course, and rarely do companies hit major success, let alone multiple successes, but it is possible.
Square Enix, Bandai Namco, and Sega have all released multiple huge hits, and continue to do so. They've had some duds, but their successes hit it out of the park.

Unless Nintendo can turn around NX, mobile is the next best place for the franchise without compromising the vision.
That is a good point. Especially Sega. Sega has had a lot of struggles on the traditional systems but Sonic Dash has been a big hit for them, consistently been a top downloaded app and top revenue app for a long time now.

JoeM86

We're a long way away from that though. Wii U failed. 3DS didn't, despite mobile, and is still the best selling device in Japan.

Hey all, I am writing the OT for the RBY rerelease and I came up with a few ideas for the subtitle.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| Like No One Ever Was
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great, Its Full of Women
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| Blasting Off Again
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| Right Back at Chu
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| On The Road to Viridian City
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| A Glitch in the Pokedex
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| The True Story of Red Versus Blue
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| The Wonderful 151
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| Make Kanto Great Again

You if have any suggestions, let me know.

Kyzer

Banned
Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: Probably not for Mr. Joker

Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: Erm, what was his name again?

Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: That Raichu you traded me went and evolved!

Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: Smell you now.

Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: I came when I heard you beat the Elite 4.

ash_ag

Pokémon Red, Green, Blue & Yellow |OT| The Origin of Dreams and Adventures
In reference to this:
UaHDShN.gif

Pokémon Red, Green, Blue & Yellow |OT| 1996 technology is incredible!
In reference to this:
8S5km9d.png

Both quotes that have stayed with the series since the beginning.

Kyzer

Banned
Pokémon Red, Green, Blue & Yellow |OT| The Origin of Dreams and Adventures
In reference to this:
http://i.imgur.com/UaHShN.gif[/im]

[B]Pokémon Red, Green, Blue & Yellow |OT| 1996 technology is incredible![/B]
In reference to this:
[im]http://i.imgur.com/8S5km9d.pg

Both quotes that have stayed with the series since the beginning.

I like both of these! Maybe

Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: A World of Dreams and Adventures

Pokemon RBY eshop |OT|: Genderless Utopia

Hydrus

Hey all, I am writing the OT for the RBY rerelease and I came up with a few ideas for the subtitle.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great, Its Full of Women

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow 3DS Eshop Release |OT| Make Kanto Great Again

You if have any suggestions, let me know.

I like these two

speaking of OT i need one for Pokken, the one i have in mind is

Pokkén Tournament |OT| the king of iron tail tournament

That reminds me, we'll be seeing Chandelure in action on the 31st.

If you want some lame suggestions I can help:

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Pikachu Libre is a female

Pokkén Tournament |OT| No, split screen would not work

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Proof that Lucario is iconic

Pokkén Tournament |OT| A Pokémon fighting game with only 3 fighting types (so far)

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Smogon rules don't apply here

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Pikachu is the new Ryu

Pokkén Tournament |OT| It's finally like the anime

Pokkén Tournament |OT| TPC hates Mega Charizard Y

Welp, I hope something here is decent.

Chase17

That reminds me, we'll be seeing Chandelure in action on the 31st.

If you want some lame suggestions I can help:

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Pikachu Libre is a female

Pokkén Tournament |OT| No, split screen would not work

Pokkén Tournament |OT| A Pokémon fighting game with only 3 fighting types (so far)

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Smogon rules don't apply here

Pokkén Tournament |OT| Pikachu is the new Ryu

Pokkén Tournament |OT| It's finally like the anime

Pokkén Tournament |OT| TPC hates Mega Charizard Y

Welp, I hope something here is decent.
This is my favorite one

Top Bottom