• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

I have an inkling to get a Braviary. Anyone able to get me access to a flying-type friend safari, or able to trade me a Braviary? I want to give this whole breeding thing a go.

Edit: Disregard this, I found someone who traded me one.

ZeroX03

Banned
I guess this is the best place to ask:

Does anyone have any experience collecting Pokemon cards? I'm interested in collecting complete sets of singles for my own enjoyment. 20th anniversary has revitalized my interest. Not looking to profit but don't want to go overboard on spending either. I just like having books with cards to look at. Is it feasible to do this without going more than spending more than the worth of a box and a half each set? Buy a box, sell duplicates and buy up any missing singles. I'm not sure about the state of the singles market and booster breakdowns other than I don't think I'm interested in secret rares if they're just variants. No interest in variants or reprints, on the fence about promos. Easily done or is it a tricky endeavor?

I also dabble in PTCGO so I wouldn't be adverse to using or selling the codes.

Kyzer

Banned
I guess this is the best place to ask:

Does anyone have any experience collecting Pokemon cards? I'm interested in collecting complete sets of singles for my own enjoyment. 20th anniversary has revitalized my interest. Not looking to profit but don't want to go overboard on spending either. I just like having books with cards to look at. Is it feasible to do this without going more than spending more than the worth of a box and a half each set? Buy a box, sell duplicates and buy up any missing singles. I'm not sure about the state of the singles market and booster breakdowns other than I don't think I'm interested in secret rares if they're just variants. No interest in variants or reprints, on the fence about promos. Easily done or is it a tricky endeavor?

I also dabble in PTCGO so I wouldn't be adverse to using or selling the codes.

You'll probably get close with each set but actually completing each one that way will undoubtedly be easier said than done. There are a lot of sets with very valuable singles that you probably won't pull from the box. How far back into the sets do you wanna collect?

ZeroX03

Banned
You'll probably get close with each set but actually completing each one that way will undoubtedly be easier said than done. There are a lot of sets with very valuable singles that you probably won't pull from the box. How far back into the sets do you wanna collect?

I don't intend to go as far back as the WotC run, as much as nostalgia would like me to. Does the value of stuff out of Standard and Expanded drop significantly? For example some of the older (not 90s old tho) Magic sets you can buy 95% of the cards for cents because they're out of rotation and otherwise junk. Kind of weighing up my options, if older stuff is a bit cheaper then I'd probably do it but I'm not against just starting at BREAKthrough.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't intend to go as far back as the WotC run, as much as nostalgia would like me to. Does the value of stuff out of Standard and Expanded drop significantly? For example some of the older (not 90s old tho) Magic sets you can buy 95% of the cards for cents because they're out of rotation and otherwise junk. Kind of weighing up my options, if older stuff is a bit cheaper then I'd probably do it but I'm not against just starting at BREAKthrough.

Ok no that's good because it can get expensive. The older wotc cards can get pricey especially and forget about unopened boxes or boosters. Well yeah I see you having pretty good luck but I don't think you'll reliably complete sets without going over budget because of how easy it will be to be missing singles that add up to more than half of a box on their own. Especially when you're dealing with popular tcg cards that people need for their decks

Mr-Joker

Banned
Got my Mew code...Yaaaaaay. ¬_¬;

The whole thing was just a damp meh as the code is just printed on a receipt, instead of that cool card that the US got. And while I could have gotten a Mew plush, not that I saw any, you have to buy them which meant paying Game price and they overprice everything.

So I just got my code and walked out, wasn't a total waste as I went into the Entertainer toy shop around the corner and brought Chespin and Froakie Plush. :D

Happy Pokemon anniversary month!

How are people celebrating?

I've had a few ideas - I was originally going to restrict myself to only Pokemon games throughout the month, but then I remembered Fire Emblem is coming out in a couple of weeks.

Okay then, how about only RPGs in February?

"You have a full time job, idiot, you don't have time to play multiple RPGs in a month," I chided to myself.

Still, I want to do *something*. I mean, I'm getting the n3DS bundle when it comes out, so I'll be replaying Red or Blue on that, but that isn't until the tail end of the month. What should I play up until then?

I was thinking something like Soul Silver -> if I have time (I won't) Chrono Trigger -> Fire Emblem -> Pokemon Blue.

But then I considered buying a Digimon game to keep with the creature RPG theme, since Cyber Sleuth looks cool and I've never played one before. But I don't have a Sony system, and there don't seem to be any on 3DS (outside of Japan, at least). Apparently Digimon World DS is pretty good, and it's only $20 on amazon, but then what am I really doing with my life? This is POKEMON MONTH, DAMMIT.

Ugh. Whatever.

*Goes and plays Animal Crossing to not think about it*

Ha ha, I am just playing the entire main game before "Pokémon Z" get released. Did Pokémon Red last year and I am currently playing through Pokémon Yellow.

List of Pokémon games that I will be playing after Yellow;

-Soul Silver
-Crystal
-Ruby
-FireRed
-Emerald
-Diamond
-Platinum
-Heart Gold
-White
-Black 2
-White 2
-Omega Ruby
-Alpha Sapphire
-Y

Of course I will be taking breaks in between games so after I finish Yellow I will be playing Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

Why did Pokémon start pushing Slowpoke so hard all of a sudden (2 years ago).

Because he's dopey, cute and lovable, which makes him perfect for meme potential.

Chase17

Since it appears to be episodic, I think localisation may wait until all parts are available
Ahh, that would make sense. I wonder how many episodes it will be. Does anyone know how long this first part ended up taking to complete?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
pokemon.jp really hyping today's ep I guess

CaVq-iRVAAI5Fu7.jpg:large

what's with the yaoi sparkles Alan and Ash have

Boss Doggie

Really great fights this ep. Both are one-sided lol

Also the anime is doing Team Flare justice, holy shit that laser beam tree!

Well well well.

Ash-Greninja is a Mega Evolution, according to today's anime episode.

I wouldn't say an actual mega evolution, but it's emitting mega evolution energy.

Probably one of those unique ones for Z!

Boss Doggie

I reckon it's going to be mega-evolution for the starters - to mimic their trainer looks.

Also TF's plot makes much, MUCH more sense in the anime than in the games. They're using Zygarde's cells and megastone to forcefully create life.

JoeM86

Thing is, the concept they've been pushing behind Ash-Greninja is exactly how they described Mega Evolution in the September 2013 Pokémon Direct.

Boss Doggie

Clemont says he will work on something to understand Ash's transformation. I hope it's not just a gag.

Also that's one for homo-science shippers!

Busaiku

Man, I really hate Ash's Kanto/Johto ensemble.
Main thing holding me back from the G.E.M....

Kalos clothes > Hoenn > Unova > Sinnoh > Kanto/Johto

Mr-Joker

Banned
pokemon.jp really hyping today's ep I guess

CaVq-iRVAAI5Fu7.jpg:large

what's with the yaoi sparkles Alan and Ash have

Man Charizard X just looks weird with the blue flame coming out of his mouth.

"The more you battle together, the stronger your bond will become."

Yeah I remember that, I did wonder if it tied to Mega since the game said time and time again that only trainers with strong bonds with their Pokémon can use Mega.

Plus there's also the fact that Mega were created from the great weapon that AZ fired meaning that the stone are powered by dead Pokémon that die to power the weapon.

It isn't exactly surprising that the Kalos starters are going to get Mega Evolutions for Pokemon Z.

Which means only one things CHARIZARD Z WHEN! :D :D

I forgot Johto existed.

Ha ha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokémon Z is actually Yellow 2, only replace Froakie with Pikachu and have Froakie have no problem at all with evolution, in fact gaining a limit break like mega form based on happiness.

Busaiku

At the very least, Johto still has 6 Megas.
Unova just has Audino.
Pokémon Z is actually Yellow 2, only replace Froakie with Pikachu and have Froakie have no problem at all with evolution, in fact gaining a limit break like mega form based on happiness.
Sounds horrendous.

Chase17

At the very least, Johto still has 6 Megas.
Unova just has Audino.
Mega Garbodor must be coming down the line.

Went scrolling though gen 5 pokémon to see if anyone stood out to me as someone I'd like to see get a mega (there were plenty). I always forget how much I like a lot of the pokémon introduced in Unova.

honestly it just needs higher base stats to make good use of skill link

let it learn icicle spear, water shuriken and arm thrust and it'll wreck everything

MarkusRJR

Someone mentioned Red 2 and Blue 2 and now I can't get the idea out of my head. I never knew I've wanted it until someone actually meantioned it. I know X and Y had TONS of Gen 1 pandering but I wouldn't mind a sequel taking place way way later.

Pretty sure it's just because of all the anniversary stuff plus the fact I'm playing the Red/Blue remakes for the first time.

In b4 someone telling me just to play GSC again. :p

Firestorm

Someone mentioned Red 2 and Blue 2 and now I can't get the idea out of my head. I never knew I've wanted it until someone actually meantioned it. I know X and Y had TONS of Gen 1 pandering but I wouldn't mind a sequel taking place way way later.

Pretty sure it's just because of all the anniversary stuff plus the fact I'm playing the Red/Blue remakes for the first time.

In b4 someone telling me just to play GSC again. :p

lol yeah my thought was "Isn't that GSC?"

I reckon it's going to be mega-evolution for the starters - to mimic their trainer looks.

If that's how it ends up working in the games it's going to be crazy, there will be so many different Kalos starter Mega designs. It would also be a bitch because every generation would be a complete start over for them unless character customization comes back and they keep all the clothes or just dump the "customizable" Mega idea come Gen 7 and just have one design for each that is used for all future games.

ash_ag

So, we're now at 5 Pokémon Nendoroids, or 6 if you count Champion Red:
  • Red
  • Cynthia
  • N
  • Red, Classic Ver.
  • Blue, Classic Ver.
  • Red, Champion Ver.
I guess they will eventually arrive in the US Pokémon Center, but for everyone else, it's $250 per piece from eBay scalpers. :'(

Top Bottom