• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

OK. I was more wondering if their first appearances pre-dated the announcement for emerald, which as far as I can tell, from a brief google search and a cursory glance through serebii's archives, they did.

Z not unconfirmed yet.

Yeah, this doesn't deconfirm Z at all, although their reasons for leaving it this late are even more nebulous now than they were before. If, as Joe says, the whole point of introducing Z to the anime so early was to build up mystery and anticipation, then why on Earth are they revealing new stuff before all that's revealed?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, this doesn't deconfirm Z at all, although their reasons for leaving it this late are even more nebulous now than they were before. If, as Joe says, the whole point of introducing Z to the anime so early was to build up mystery and anticipation, then why on Earth are they revealing new stuff before all that's revealed?

I'm still on the opinion that they can't reveal the game because one of the elements surronding it has yet to be announced...like one of the two platforms it's releasing on. Yeah, I'm in the cross-gen field, honestly.

I'm still on the opinion that they can't reveal the game because one of the elements surronding it has yet to be announced...like one of the two platforms it's releasing on. Yeah, I'm in the cross-gen field, honestly.

It's possible, I suppose, but it doesn't really match up with Game Freak's previous MO, and it means that they'd have started promoting the games over a year before they came out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess I realized they have revealed the gender of Ash's XY mons

Pikachu is a dude
Greninja is a dude
Hawlucha is a dude
Noibat is a dude
Goodra has an unknown gender
Talonflame is a girl

what a sausagefest

Daemul

New Pokemon hype! I don't even care about Z at this point, my excitement for it died long ago. Onto Gen 7 we go!

Pikachu is a dude
Greninja is a dude
Hawlucha is a dude
Noibat is a dude
Talonflame is a girl

what a sausagefest

Goodra is a dude for sure. He got roped into looking after some other guys daughter.

RIP in peace Goodra.

Boss Doggie

When was Talonflame's sex revealed?
it has been referred to as graceful dancer (in a certain effeminate way), and in the pikachu short (the one that involves shaming Hawlucha because no es cantar) she had a red ribbon worn by other females like Braixen

Goodra is a dude for sure. He got roped into looking after some other guys daughter.

RIP in peace Goodra.

Oh right, he married the baroness fairy

Mr-Joker

Banned

Pikachu is a dude
Greninja is a dude
Hawlucha is a dude
Noibat is a dude
Talonflame is a girl

what a sausagefest

Make sense since Talonflame and Hawlucha act like Noibat's parents and they were involved in him hatching and teaching him how to fly.

Heck Hawlucha taught him how to be a man.

You also have to beat Black or White iirc.

We can only hope that cross generational transfers will be easy from here on out with bank.

That's the whole idea with Pokémon Bank, it will be easy to send Pokémon forward and backward no matter what generation we are in.

Kalos mon, Gen 6.5 is my bet.

A part of me is hoping that we get more gen 6 Pokémon but the logical side is saying it's a gen 7 Pokémon.

I don't know if I want Z to be next or Gen VII to be next now. Getting a new Pokemon reveal is like a drug AND I NEED MY NEXT HIT! I don't know if I can wait a year for more new Pokemon to be revealed :p

I don't think there's any reason to believe that Gen 6.5 is a thing with new Pokémon in it, honestly. Seems just like a standard, pre-generation legendary reveal to me.

I'm interested to see if we get it confirmed for the West- they normally do videos to show off new Pokémon and formes, but there aren't actually any games to get Magiana footage from. Maybe they'll use movie footage?

If they really are doing Gen VII next and it's NX then the reason they've been so quiet would be because they have to wait until NX itself is revealed. If Gen VII actually is next I wonder what the deal is with all the Zygarde forms, hopefully they get story in Gen VII (again, if we are going to Gen VII next)

A new generation of Pokemon games as a launch title sure would be huge for NX though.

If they really are doing Gen VII next and it's NX then the reason they've been so quiet would be because they have to wait until NX itself is revealed. If Gen VII actually is next I wonder what the deal is with all the Zygarde forms, hopefully they get story in Gen VII (again, if we are going to Gen VII next)

A new generation of Pokemon games as a launch title sure would be huge for NX though.

If (and that's still a BIG if) this is right, I'd guess that they originally planned for Z and dropped their plans somewhere along the way- certainly they originally planned to include the Zygarde formes in Gen VI, what with the moves coded into X and Y, and all.

If we haven't heard about Z by then, I absolutely would not be surprised to see Pokémon when the first batch of NX software is revealed.

If (and that's still a BIG if) this is right, I'd guess that they originally planned for Z and dropped their plans somewhere along the way- certainly they originally planned to include the Zygarde formes in Gen VI, what with the moves coded into X and Y, and all.

If we haven't heard about Z by then, I absolutely would not be surprised to see Pokémon when the first batch of NX software is revealed.

If Gen VII is actually an NX launch title I can deal with no Z version, as long as we get a big post game story about Zygarde.
Still hoping we get Z to close out Gen VI though.

If Gen VII is actually an NX launch title I can deal with no Z version, as long as we get a big post game story about Zygarde.
Still hoping we get Z to close out Gen VI though.

I think, on the balance of probabilities, that we will indeed get Z at some point this year, and Gen VII late next year. If we don't get Z this year then I reckon we'll get Gen VII earlier on next year, but I don't expect it at launch in any case- NX launch is probably going to be busy enough that we don't need Pokémon there day one,

Billyman

Neo Member
I'd agree... were it not for the odd way they've been handling the promotion for the movie this year.

Generally speaking, the movies have their full titles revealed in January or February, after the Mythical Pokémon starring in the movie has been revealed. This year, as was the case last year, the movie's just being promoted with a generic placeholder "Pokémon XY&Z The Movie 2016!" title, without the full title having been revealed yet.

However, this year it's slightly different. Volcanion, the last Mythical of the generation and the apparent star of the movie, has already been revealed- indeed, he was shown off for the first time when the movie was announced back in December. However, we still don't have even a partial title for the movie- if Volcanion was indeed the main reveal for the movie, then you'd have thought the title could have been revealed at the same time it was. Last year, for example, "Pokémon XY The Movie 2015" became "The Archdjinn of Rings- Hoopa!" as soon as Hoopa was officially revealed. We have our Mythical- why don't we have the title?

There is precedent for this- back when Gen V was drawing to a close, they revealed Genesect notably early and had it present and correct at the first reveal of the movie. This served to obfuscate the big new reveal for the movie- Mega Mewtwo Y, which served as both a return for one of the icons of Pokémon, and the first ever introduction of the concept of Mega Evolution to the franchise. They haven't really treated any big Mega Evolutions in the same way since- Mega Latias, Mega Latios and Mega Diancie were given muted, tossed-off reveals, rather than being deliberately kept a mystery and hyped up as a world-changing new reveal a month in advance.

The way I see it, the big reveal's pretty bloody likely to be one of two things, given the level of hyperbole- a whole new concept for the franchise on the level of Mega Evolution (the language being used here is pretty similar to the language that the magazine was using when promoting the reveal of the Mega Evolution concept), or the start of a new generation of Pokémon, whether a game featuring them is forthcoming or not. Given all this, and the whole mystery around the title of the movie... I'm slightly leaning towards it being a new Pokémon reveal. It's not a certainty, but it all fits quite nicely.

Of course, Coro Coro could just be blowing smoke over the importance of its reveal, but I'd be a little surprised. They tend to be quite good at avoiding overhype.

Eh. I'm not getting myself overhyped or anything- just drawing conclusions from the evidence in front of me. If it's wrong, so be it.
Jesus Christ dude... Are you a psychic :p

new pokemon reveals are like crack

4239203.jpg

CassSept

Well, it does look like it could fit Kalos pretty well. I still won't believe it's Gen 6.5, but pretty much every new gen we get something unprecedented, something that there's no way of happening.

Busaiku

This generation has been different from previous gens.
There are Pokémon in Alpha Sapphire that are not compatible with Y.
There are a bunch of Pokémon that can't be traded and battle between the games, there's no 600 BST Mythical, the cartoon has introduced new forms to existing Pokémon not in the source of either game, and so on.

I could see them continuing this with Z, opening up the other parts of the region, and introducing more man-made Pokémon to serve as a few new entries, more Zygardes, and new Megas.

It's not like we haven't had new formes introduced in the middle of a generation before, in fairness. Yes, ORAS took it further than we've seen it before, but that's not the same thing as introducing a new set of Pokémon. The only Pokémon who weren't able to be traded could have their incompatible moves or Mega Stones removed- no Pokémon were totally unable to be traded.

I'm not sure how you can argue that we can't pay attention to previous patterns on one hand, while also arguing that this might be a part of Gen VI because we haven't had a 600 BST Mythical yet on the other.

RomanceDawn

Man I just went to Gamestop for Mew. I wasn't aware of the whole card things with codes and all the game stops in my area have no more.

I've been told they aren't expecting any more to come in either. That is jacked up. Why couldn't they just do this like they've always done with GameStop?

That blasted card better be look nice.

Busaiku

I'm not sure how you can argue that we can't pay attention to previous patterns on one hand, while also arguing that this might be a part of Gen VI because we haven't had a 600 BST Mythical yet on the other.
Not saying we need to have the 600 Mythical, but it's just a point that is different from all previous gens.

And even ignoring Megas, there would be the various Zygarde.
Granted, we don't know how it works, but I doubt they'd all be considered a single Pokédex entry.

Not saying we need to have the 600 Mythical, but it's just a point that is different from all previous gens.

And even ignoring Megas, there would be the various Zygarde.
Granted, we don't know how it works, but I doubt they'd all be considered a single Pokédex entry.
Well, it's not like the 600 BST requirement means all that much, in the grand scheme of things.

I'd be surprised if they weren't all confined to a single Pokédex entry, too- they've spent the last few months of the anime hammering home that they're all the same Pokémon. Again, it's more of a drastic forme change than we've seen before, but I don't see any reason why it'd be treated any different to previous examples.

It probably doesn't mean much, but it's weird how Sugimori art for Magiana was shown right away, yet we still have none for the Zygarde Forms.

WPS

It probably doesn't mean much, but it's weird how Sugimori art for Magiana was shown right away, yet we still have none for the Zygarde Forms.

I don't think that is Sugimori art, just fancier anime movie art. I could be wrong.

And damnit people now I'm reading it as Mangina.

Xux

Magiana looks pretty neat. Reminds me of a music box ballerina in a way. Ancient robots are always cool.

I wonder what's in the Pokeball? A
Celebi
?
Arceus?

Boss Doggie

Magiana looks pretty neat. Reminds me of a music box ballerina in a way. Ancient robots are always cool.

I wonder what's in the Pokeball? A
Celebi
?
Arceus?

considering that her skirt is a pokeball

that's lewd

This is the first gen with seamless patching though, they could just add in Pokémon if they wanted to.
Game Freak couldn't even be arsed to add the ORAS Megas and moves back into X&Y, so that's sure as hell not happening.

I'd also question why they'd bother, when we're almost certainly getting Gen VII next year anyway. Why not include Magiana in the code for the other games right from the off?

While we haven't got confirmation either way, I'm baffled as to why people have jumped to the conclusion that it's a Gen VI Pokémon, particularly when the most compelling evidence they seem to have is an incredibly arcane and technical point that technically we haven't had a Mythical Pokémon with 100 BST across their stats. Given how these reveals have always worked, I'm going to need more than that before deciding that Game Freak are actually going against everything they normally do.

Kyzer

Banned
Game Freak couldn't even be arsed to add the ORAS Megas and moves back into X&Y, so that's sure as hell not happening.

I don't get this logic. Wouldn't them adding exclusive content to the remakes that can't interface with the games directly before them imply that they ARE willing to put stuff into the games without waiting for the next generation?

I'd also question why they'd bother, when we're almost certainly getting Gen VII next year anyway. Why not include Magiana in the code for the other games right from the off?

While we haven't got confirmation either way, I'm baffled as to why people have jumped to the conclusion that it's a Gen VI Pokémon, particularly when the most compelling evidence they seem to have is an incredibly arcane and technical point that technically we haven't had a Mythical Pokémon with 100 BST across their stats. Given how these reveals have always worked, I'm going to need more than that before deciding that Game Freak are actually going against everything they normally do.

Well, if GF had hypothetically developed this game with Magiana as "Z" and it was always a Gen 6 game, where they decided to go from there would have very little do with any of these other things you're mentioning. They certainly wouldn't decide to scrap or refrain from releasing the game based on arbitrary patterns or when the next gen was coming out. (Not that we actually know gen 7 is coming next year anyways), and I doubt they would agree that they need a reason "to bother" just because there would be that eventual next gen.

Its not that baffling to think people still think its gen 6, considering its what we were all still expecting leading up to the reveal. There is still a clear gap for a XY sequel/third version. That's the whole reason we're even speculating, really. Basically, the evidence that its not gen 7 was piling up before the pokemon was even revealed. We've been expecting Z since XY!

But who knows.

Maybe itll be a new gen like GSC where its a direct sequel?

Go for 27th

Looks like we'll have to move Z elsewhere

Is there a source for that? I doubt it'll be released on the 27th because it's being shown at GDC in March and the game itself is free to play, so don't see the point. Wasn't there a beta supposed to be happening for the game as well?

Top Bottom