• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

ngower

So this thread is the go-to for TCG stuff, right? If not, I apologize in advance (and can you please point me in the right direction).

My nephew (10) is getting into the Pokemon games and TCG. I know he's starting to learn the TCG but still doesn't quite grasp everything. I wanted to pick up some pre-made decks to play with him whenever I'm at my sister's house or whatever. I've heard that the prefab decks suuuucckk, but as I wouldn't be looking for anything super competitive, that's not really a huge issue for me. Still, looking for some insight on how to get some decks going so I can help teach him the rules and even familiarize myself with the game a little bit.

Juicy Bob

So this thread is the go-to for TCG stuff, right? If not, I apologize in advance (and can you please point me in the right direction).

My nephew (10) is getting into the Pokemon games and TCG. I know he's starting to learn the TCG but still doesn't quite grasp everything. I wanted to pick up some pre-made decks to play with him whenever I'm at my sister's house or whatever. I've heard that the prefab decks suuuucckk, but as I wouldn't be looking for anything super competitive, that's not really a huge issue for me. Still, looking for some insight on how to get some decks going so I can help teach him the rules and even familiarize myself with the game a little bit.
Have you tried the online game for PC? You can download it from the Pokemon website. It's entirely free to play. You can play the CPU and other players and grow your own collection of cards. It's a really quick and simple way of playing the TCG as well as learning all the rules and the nuances.

Buy the World Championship preconstructed decks. For learning the game, those are the best bet because you'll actually have enough supporters and trainers for the deck to run smoothly. You can't use those decks in competitive play, but IMO they are far better for learning the game than the normal precons because the precons are really slow and usually turn the game into a slog.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What are the perfect IV stats for Mew at level 100? I'm not familiar with IVs despite loving the Pokemon games, but Mew is my favorite so I wanna try and get one with the best stats possible.

Gengahrrr

A few things about the premier of XYZ this morning:

- the opening theme is generically baaaaad

- the animation quality absolutely blew me away. Dragon Ball Super would kill for 5 minutes of this kind of quality.

- so far, I really like this version of Team Flare

What are the perfect IV stats for Mew at level 100? I'm not familiar with IVs despite loving the Pokemon games, but Mew is my favorite so I wanna try and get one with the best stats possible.
You can almost do anything with Mew so it all depends. You definitely want 31 in HP though, the rest depend on if you want a wall, a physical attacker, a special attacker, a trick room version of any of those, etc.

Josephl64

I'd be very surprised if they do. They didn't in the originals

Unless they updated the games with both Latin and Japanese alphabets each, coded a new method that wipes the (nick)name when being traded to match the language of the game its traded to, and/or came up with a way to make sure the code being slightly adjusted during the original localization from Japanese doesn't cause massive glitches, I doubt it.
You might be able to get away with trading from English to some of the European languages, though. Not much was changed and some are usually safe to trade between.

I figured as much, thanks for the help.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So we are about 6 days away till Pokémon Day. Can't wait to see if Game Freak will announce "Pokémon Z" in maybe a Pokémon direct. :D :D

also that group shot of Ash and his mons, and they make a big deal about it being a "five man band" heh

They need to pick up the pace and get Ash to capture his final Pokémon.

Speaking picking up the pace subbers that sub the animé are slooooow as they are 3 weeks behind.

Daemul

Speaking picking up the pace subbers that sub the animé are slooooow as they are 3 weeks behind.

They've prioritized subbing the Hoopa movie the past few weeks, subs for that will come out around Monday according to Adamant and then they'll focus on subbing the anime again.

Speaking of ash's sixth Pokemon, he didn't get a 6th in hoenn until alil before the 8th gen which was snorunt. Snorunt battled in the gym, evolved shortly after and was a powerhouse in the league.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
neat pictures for a jigsaw puzzle merch, I wish we get a full pic of these

tkuneBY.png
QAFrrsP.png

Braixen's hand though

So hard to get a Mew when there's no event on your country... Not many days left, I hope I can get one !

By the way, do we know anything about the pricing of Red/Blue on the VC?

Just looked at the games on the 3DS shop, disappointing they've kept the black and white colours for RB rather than the vague colour overlays.

Yeah, and at 9.99 each, it's expensive. It could at least be the Game Boy Color mode.

I'll have a hard time deciding if I buy it or not.

Fuck this shit, I'm beyond pissed that Latin America has yet again been left in the dust for a Pokemon event.

Yeah, totally. All I can hope is if I can grab one here from a Gaffer generosity.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Well, we're now in the week of Pokemon Day, fingers crossed on a game announcement!

I know, soooooo can't wait.

Watch it be gen 1 and causing me to go on a hot air rant. ;p

Each ? That's kinda expensive

Well they did fix up the game to allow co-op wi-fi trading and battling.

Just looked at the games on the 3DS shop, disappointing they've kept the black and white colours for RB rather than the vague colour overlays.

Yeah that's one of the reason making me skip over buying them. The other reason is that I would have to buy another copy on a different 3DS to allow trading.

So honestly speaking I am just better off sticking with the cart and changing the battery when they die.

I know, soooooo can't wait.

Watch it be gen 1 and causing me to go on a hot air rant. ;p

LYSANDRE HAS RETURNED AND IS NOW IMMORTAL! HE'S TRYING TO DESTROY KANTO AND YOU HAVE TO STOP HIM, COLLECT THE PIECES OF ZYGARDE ACROSS THE REGION SO YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO BEAT HIM! Also all of the gym leaders, trainers and Elite Four are identical to FRLG, the only new stuff is the Flare stuff.
lol

ash_ag

I'm very skeptical about the rumours floating around, but the suggestion of a "20th Anniversary game" is very sensible. Not a very LTTP XY third version / sequel, not a remake, but not quite a new generation either. Instead, a "special edition" of sorts that could introduce new mechanics and more relevant plot threads without necessarily going into new generation territory. Meanwhile, it could tie up remaining Gen 6 material and even give a first taste of Gen 7 before moving on to NX.

It once again needs to be said that the recent set of rumours are to be taken with a huge grain of salt -- other than Zelda and Pokémon, they are undeniably vague and fairly safe. With Pokémon Day being close, there's a high chance we will find out the truth sooner rather than later, but I think "Niji" may be pretty close to what we end up getting.

isn't this niji thing an old rumor

remember Pokemon Rainbow a few years ago?

What he's refering to is a guy who's been posting "leaks" in that NX thread and trying to get verified by Bish (don't know if he has been or not) who claims to have the 3DS's release schedule.
http://www.nintengen.com/2016/02/3ds-2016-line-up-leaked-much-more.html
He doesn't say what the game is other than it's for the 20th anniversary.
We'll probably know sooner than later if this guy is full of it or not.

IF true I wonder what the game would be, no way it's the oft requested "All regions in one" game.

I don't think Rainbow is fake because of that rumour three years ago.

I think it's fake because unimaginative people have been using Rainbow as a fake name for YEARS, generally with the idea that it's going to be this big game with all the regions available, and anyone who seriously includes it in a list of mooted leaks deserves utmost scepticism.

Chase17

isn't this niji thing an old rumor

remember Pokemon Rainbow a few years ago?
Pokémon Rainbow could be announced any day now.

LYSANDRE HAS RETURNED AND IS NOW IMMORTAL! HE'S TRYING TO DESTROY KANTO AND YOU HAVE TO STOP HIM, COLLECT THE PIECES OF ZYGARDE ACROSS THE REGION SO YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO BEAT HIM! Also all of the gym leaders, trainers and Elite Four are identical to FRLG, the only new stuff is the Flare stuff.
lol
RED MAKES HIS DRAMATIC RETURN AS THE PROTAGONIST.

I don't think Rainbow is fake because of that rumour three years ago.

I think it's fake because unimaginative people have been using Rainbow as a fake name for YEARS, generally with the idea that it's going to be this big game with all the regions available, and anyone who seriously includes it in a list of mooted leaks deserves utmost scepticism.

He's at least actively trying to get verified by Bish, so I'm willing to wait and see. To be entirely fair "Rainbow" would be a totally understandable name for a 20th anniversary game, but yeah I'm not going to believe it until I see it for myself, but I'm not going to outright say I think it's fake.

I'm just going to wait till Saturday, if Pokemon "Niji" isn't announced then I will consider the list fake, until then I'm not going to bother trying to decide if I think it's real or not.
I mean seriously, the 20th anniversary is the perfect time to announce a 20th anniversary game, so if no game is announced the list is probably fake, and if a game IS announced and it's Japanese name isn't Niji then the list is absolutely fake.
I just feel we are way too close to a game reveal to even bother picking a "fake or real" side.

Me being on the wrong side of the XY Pokemon leaks probably has something to do with it as well, I totally thought all those images leaked (Greninja, Hawlucha and such) were fake, so I'd rather just not take a stance on something like this when the truth will probably be known very soon.

EDIT: Oh whoops, I didn't notice, but the article mentions that Nintendo likes to refer to games by their Codenames for these kinds of things, so if real then Niji could just be a codename... That makes things more complicated.

ash_ag

On top of that, there are a few fishy things about these "leaks". Having access to major information related to NX and Pokémon, and yet claiming there's a secret unannounced Wii U game he doesn't know about doesn't necessarily add up. Paper Mario is one of the worst kept secrets in recent days -- if someone knows about TPC's plans via NoA, I assume they also know about that. There's also the fact that none of the other projects are named. Would Rhythm Tengoku The Best+ really have a cryptic code name? And it's missing some titles that could viably be published by Nintendo in 2016, like Detective Pikachu and Yo-Kai Watch 2.

The "leaker" certainly seems more sensible than usual, but I'd be careful before I took any of this for granted. I wouldn't be surprised if he added exaggerations and a few safe bets atop of minor information he may actually have (like Nintendo characters on Minecraft, which he claims is coming very soon).

In any case, regardless of the validity of those "leaks", the idea of a special "20th Anniversary game" sounds appropriate for 2016.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
So what do you guys think about this?
It was leaked way before Magearna was revealed in Coro Coro (the first I saw it was on a deviantart page on the 25th of Jan), and is a supposed gen 6.5 leaked list of new Pokes, yet its has Magiana listed...

It was leaked way before Magearna was revealed in Coro Coro (the first I saw it was on a deviantart page on the 25th of Jan), and is a supposed gen 6.5 leaked list of new Pokes, yet its has Magiana listed...

Wait, are you serious? I only saw it after Magearna was revealed.

Chase17

I'm liking a lot of the types. Fire and ice, dragon and fighting.

I'm not sold. I suppose it could be something if they got Magiana right though.

GoldStarz

TBH, I was hoping a 'Gen 6.5' would have about at least 30 Pokes. If we get 70 more, I'll be more than satisfied tbh. I really hope the list is real, even if I'm skeptical since there's no given source other than "it's been circulating".

Top Bottom