• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Pachimari

Could someone edit my Avatar so the Moon is in the upper right corner of my avatar?

I will be forever grateful :)

HKSZ7Gt.png

Didn't look good on the right:

QqENqBR.png

And flipped:

NZc280W.png

Just PR to show that you can only enjoy pokemon on nintedo systems or hope that it will only be a launch exclusive for 3ds and later an improved version for NX might be possible, like Zelda TP?(<-naive speculating, i know..but believe ;-) )
I don't ACTUALLY think that there's going to be an NX version at launch, but of course they're going to say it's a 3DS-exclusive now- the NX isn't revealed yet, and they'll want to avoid talk of mobile ports.

Zelda Wii U is still officially Wii U-exclusive, and I don't think anyone thinks that's going to stick.

brinstar

What I'm curious about is how Sun/Moon will push the 20th Anniversary aspects because X/Y already felt like a celebration of the entire series to me with its callbacks and large roster of older Pokemon.

yami4ct

What I'm curious about is how Sun/Moon will push the 20th Anniversary aspects because X/Y already felt like a celebration of the entire series to me with its callbacks and large roster of older Pokemon.

All regions. Believe. Maybe sun has Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh and Moon has Hoenn, Unova, and Kalos. Both have a new region, of course.

The amount of work to do that would be pure insanity.

Nightbird

I really wonder how the "it all comes together" line is relevant.

The line about "Bonds" in the XY reveal trailer proved itself to be relevant later too

harmonize

Maybe they'll bring back past human characters to play a part in the main story? We have that commemorative artwork of Red pulling a can with a rainbow on it out of his backpack, maybe it's foreshadowing an appearance.

Maybe they'll bring back past human characters to play a part in the main story? We have that commemorative artwork of Red pulling a can with a rainbow on it out of his backpack, maybe it's foreshadowing an appearance.

Or it could be fans looking for something that is probably nothing.

Nilaul

I cant get my hands on a pokemon code. Its always been my dream to own a Mew and I guess it will remain unfulfilled till the end of time.

Billyman

Neo Member

I think that'd be more likely than seeing all regions lol

Kinsei

Banned
I cant get my hands on a pokemon code. Its always been my dram to own a Mew and I guess it will remain unfulfilled till the end of time.

Buy the R/B/Y rereleases and catch a Mew there. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to transport it to Sun and Moon.

jnWake

I really like how this announcement messes up the patterns people always feel are set in stone. It's always funny seeing people argue videogame related stuff with things like "this company has always done this so they'll do this next!" and then seeing it turn other way.

It's also pretty hilarious we got no game footage. Such a tease.

Kyzer

Banned
I wonder if VC + Pokebank support will come with any changes in the way GF handles the pokemon rosters for new generations, since they know now every game can potentially have its pokemon moved forward onto whatever the modern gen is

Azuran

Banned
I really like how this announcement messes up the patterns people always feel are set in stone. It's always funny seeing people argue videogame related stuff with things like "this company has always done this so they'll do this next!" and then seeing it turn other way.

It's also pretty hilarious we got no game footage. Such a tease.

The funny part is seeing the people that don't know how Pokehype&#8482; works. It's like some of them think we won't be seeing footage until E3 going by their reactions.

Knowing how it works, we should be getting plenty of info and footage from CoroCoro and random videos on Youtube every month until release date.

Rizzi

The VC releases and the announcement put me in a Pokemon mood, so I finally picked my Alpha Sapphire run back up. I think Hoenn kind of has some crappy Pokemon choices early on. I'm at the
volcano
and I'm kind of underwhelmed by the roster.

Busaiku

Holy crap, the Flare Admins are amazing in the cartoon.
Also, it seems they're recycling the Thunderbolt animation now. This might've been the case (this was the case prior to X/Y), but Pikachu used it so many times this episode, it was easy to tell.

Chase17

Any tips to someone who is playing Ruby for the first time?
If you are talking about Omega Ruby it is pretty straightforward. I'd say just use the Pokémon you like the look of! You should be able to get by with pretty much any group you collect.

Enjoy it! Hoenn is one of my favorite regions.

All right, now I'm fully in Team Sun. Sunny as always is this froofy batwyvern.

I guess that could work, too!

Maybe I should use a not-Noivern avvy next time around. It is getting old, but I AM it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Holy crap, the Flare Admins are amazing in the cartoon.
Also, it seems they're recycling the Thunderbolt animation now. This might've been the case (this was the case prior to X/Y), but Pikachu used it so many times this episode, it was easy to tell.

They always recycle animations. The trick is hiding it, XY does it well because no more shitty attack lines.

The best thing about the anime is probably they somehow always seem to be good GIF/screenshot material, right? :)

I think I might start dreaming about Sun...

Pachimari

I can't imagine any news dropping via the twitch stream, especially after they had a Direct.
It's not news we are looking for. It's to celebrate all things Pokemon. Being nostalgic and just enjoying it. Unfortunately I'll go to sleep in two hours. Unless I'm still up playing Omega Ruby.

GoldStarz

It's not news we are looking for. It's to celebrate all things Pokemon. Being nostalgic and just enjoying it. Unfortunately I'll go to sleep in two hours. Unless I'm still up playing Omega Ruby.

Ah, apologies. I thought you were reporting it as a possible source of info for Sun/Moon.

Hopefully the next CoroCoro will have some kind of info on the games since we don't really have anything right now.

Kinsei

Banned
Ah, apologies. I thought you were reporting it as a possible source of info for Sun/Moon.

Hopefully the next CoroCoro will have some kind of info on the games since we don't really have anything right now.

Hopefully. I'd even be happy if it was just that bird from the reveal.

Chase17

Yeah I'm halfway through XY and the only recycled animations that stand out to me are Pikachu and Chespin.

Went to the eshop to download yellow and it was playing Pokemon music.

Pachimari

It's probably just then discussing where they think the franchise is headed and what they would like to see. I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything.

Thanks for the schedule by the way. I might check out the TCG segment and then go to sleep. Unfortunately I found out my 3DS' battery was dead, so I'm charging it, and thus still haven't played Omega Ruby.

I'm just going to copy/paste what I posted on Facebook:

I remember when Pokémon started becoming popular during middle school. I remember the commercials, and the TCG became popular enough to be banned from school. Out of curiosity, I decided to watch the animé series on Kids WB, the episode was "The School of Hard Knocks". My parents told me not to watch it because I was "too old for it". Even so, I became a closet fan until a few years later when no one in my family really cared anymore. The idea of being a Pokémon trainer was exciting to me because of the notion of having a personalized team of 6 Pokemon with my own strategies and moves, especially the Psychic-type Pokémon Alakazam, which was awesomely powerful (especially in the first games, where Psychic type was outright broken).

By this time, Gold & Silver were on their way, In 2000, I joined my first message board, a Pokémon community called Psypoké where I remained for some 6 years. I made a lot of good friends there too. I eventually held off buying a game until Crystal came out in 2001, when I also bought a Game Boy Advance. I loved it, caught as many as I could, and then 2003 rolled around and I bought Pokémon Sapphire. The game felt like a breath of fresh air for me, as the graphics were greatly improved over the 8-bit Gen I and Gen II games. It remained my favorite game (at least until the remake) because of the region, the storyline with Team Aqua and Magma, and some of the best Pokémon ever (including my favorite, Gardevoir). Later came the remakes of Red and (the Japan-only) Green, and I had taken advantage of my brother's Game Boy Advance SP to trade and try to collect them all (and I came close too).

However, it was during my playthrough of FireRed that I started to burn out on the constant need to grind experience and the barebones and formulaic story. It was after it took me a year to get through Diamond (DS) that I decided to take a break. I skipped Black and White, but Black 2 and White 2 came with what amounts to achievements, and a Pokédex feature that allows you to organize by area to see if you've seen and caught all Pokémon there. I got Black 2 and it turns out that break was good for me. I blew through it, and actually got excited for Pokémon X, which got a simultaneous worldwide release (a first for the series). I loved it thanks to the fully 3D graphics and Exp. Share which got rid of grinding. Alpha Sapphire came out a year later, and now I'm looking forward to the recently announced Pokémon Moon.

As much as I wanted Pokémon Stadium (Pokémon in 3D instead of 8-bit graphics!), I never did get a Nintendo 64, not that it would have helped without any of the Game Boy games (I didn't get Crystal until the Gamecube came out). I did get Pokémon Colosseum and XD, and while again, it was nice to have Pokémon in 3D, the games paled in comparison to the portable versions, mostly due to lack of wild Pokémon encounters and use of N64 models. i had more fun with Pokémon Battle Revolution (trainer customization!) than other people, but it was unpopular due to being a stripped-down Pokémon Stadium.

I never really got into the Trading Card Game, though when I lived in Calhan, some friends I rode the bus with gave me a good number of them. As for the animé, I kept watching until they reached Hoenn, then I just dropped off, checking back now and again to find that Ash has never aged a day, and due to his poor decision making, almost never wins a Pokémon League tournament, only to toss out his good Pokémon (sans Pikachu) and start fresh in a new region.

Oh, and Pikachu itself? It's cute, but there are better Electric-type Pokemon to use instead, like Magneton, Luxray, and Zebstrika, which I've used on my teams in the past.

So Happy 20th Anniversary to Pokémon, and here's to more great games, though I wonder how far it can go.

My first encounter with Pokemon came, when I got hurt in school when someone threw a bat at my eye, cut it open and I needed stitches. I was sitting in the reception area obviously upset (I was only 6, it was 1999) and some kid I vaguely knew came up to me and gave me some pokemon cards he had to distract me or some shit, he gave me voltorb, machoke, charmeleon, and others I can't remember. They distracted me, and I think I showed my mum when she came to get me from the hospital, I had to be off school for like two weeks cos I was injured, and she had the foresight to go out and get me a gameboy color and pokemon red. Never looked back, 17 years later.

Dandte

Oh i Love old Pokémon memories. One of My fav is from when My mother bought an english Magazine about the upcoming Jungle set. Little me Lived in Germany at that Time so i wasn't really skilled in english since My mother isn't a Native speaker but i enjoyed the Art and decided i Need that flareon. Later that Summer we went to san Francisco to give the us Family a Visit. I bought a Jungle pack with a flareon on it....and pulled a flareon...not sure if My parents understood My happiness, but i was a happy 8 year old...and for one year the only one with a flareon in My German School. Other notable memories from us vacations regarding Pokémon: Pulling an alakazam and thinking it Must be the rarest Card because he was nr 1. viewing the Second Movie in an Theater. Bought a flareon Jungle pack...i really Liked flareon...still do, in an bookshop x Starbucks. Do These things still exist around pennsylvania / Glendale l.a.? I remember them everywhere, haha.

I was a sucker for Pokémon Right from Start. I played Pokémon Blue the Winter the year it came out on my Gameboy colour And then came Silver with a hole new world to Discover, plus umbreon and espeon....i'm having a Nostalgia Flash Right now. Give me Moon....now!

The recent Pokemon news makes we want to play pokemon again. I went back to finish up my post game of Storm Silver, but I'm not feeling it as much, for some reason the pokemon diversity takes a dive in the Kanto region. I might start fresh with Blaze Black 1.

Top Bottom