• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Nightbird

So, the Atlantic wrote a little piece about the Pokémon Franchise, and it had this very interesting part:

The Pokémon Company generates $2 billion a year in revenue. Since its inception 20 years ago today, the franchise has made ¥4.6 trillion, which at the current exchange rate is just over $40 billion—which ranks Pokémon among the most successful franchises, roughly in line with the Star Wars franchise, which has brought in roughly $42 billion since the first movies came out in 1977.

I knew Pokémon was big, but as large as Star Wars? That's one hell of an achievement.

Taken from this thread

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly want Goodra to return just to see him do the Dragon Pulse recoil attack lol

Oh yeah this week Noibat will evolve to save his uncle!

Those franchise figures are blowing my mind. I knew it was popular, but it's seriously that profitable?

...And they still can't stump up for UK DVDs of the movies. :,)

Boss Doggie

want

HkBQzkf.jpg

So I'm not a huge Pokemon fan. I loved the original Red & Blue as a kid (enough to where I'm subject to first gen nostalgia), enjoyed Pokemon Stadium, and played Pokemon Colosseum, but that's about it.

About 7 years ago I picked up Soul Silver with my cousin (we played Red and Blue together), and we had a great time with it. This was when I learned about IVs and EVs and spend a lot of time EV training to beat my cousin. It was really fun, even unfair since he wasn't really into the game in that competitive way. But I grew to really love the team I made. Unfortunately, I stopped playing shortly after beating the Elite 4, so I missed out on a lot of the post-game content.

About 5 years ago I bought Pokemon Black. I didn't know much about the game, but I was eager to get that same feeling I got when I was a kid and didn't know so much about Pokemon. I think I enjoyed it at the time, but I guess Black was pretty forgettable since I hardly remember anything about it at all.

Since the mythical Pokemon event started, I wanted to start playing a game so I can get those Pokemon. My brother-in-law got X around the time of release and beat it years ago, and he let me have the game. So I started a new file yesterday and got the free Mew, and I gotta say, I really like the game. I'm not sure if it'll end up like Black where I forget most of it, but it's been a while since I was curled up in a blanket at night playing a handheld game when I should be sleeping. I think I played for 8 hours in the past two days, and I haven't even gotten to the second gym yet. I spent way too much exploring (and trying to catch a male Litleo). I'm not sure if I'll still play Pokemon after this, but it feels nice to play Pokemon again. After I'm finished with X, I really want to get back to my Soul Silver game and complete the post-game. I'm just a little intimidated about getting back into it because I think I'll feel lost.

I'm not exactly sure why I felt the need to post, haha. I'm supposed to be studying for my exam tomorrow, but I ran into Soul Silver pictures in the ROM hacking thread which made me think about how much fun Soul Silver was. :p

Okay so.

Pokemon X. I play it sometimes. I love it.

I got Blue when it first came out, tore that game apart with my friends, got all 151. It was my second rpg after Final Fantasy VII, but the first one I ever beat. After that I told myself I was too old for Pokemon when GS came out (I was 15) and ignored the series until Black 2, which I decided to give a chance. I hated it.

X looked good so I wanted to give Pokemon another chance because it was so special to me once upon a time. Maybe Black 2 was just a crap game?

Turns out I was right and I adore X. I'm thirty three hours in and just got my third badge with a pokedex of 159. My starter was the frog because he can turn into a ninja and I don't remember his original name because I renamed him to Ribby.

I have to say that as much as I love the game it's not the same as when Blue came out and I was thirteen and there was ample supply to trade with. Pokemon was a social experience for me and I'm finding X to be more isolating as an adult.

Currently catching new Pokemon on route 12 on the way to the next city.

I wish there were a more prominent multiplayer component and I wish I had people to trade with face to face like in the old days.

JoeM86

Okay so.

I got Blue when it first came out, tore that game apart with my friends, got all 151. It was my second rpg after Final Fantasy VII, but the first one I ever beat. After that I told myself I was too old for Pokemon when GS came out (I was 15) and ignored the series until Black 2, which I decided to give a chance. I hated it.

X looked good so I wanted to give Pokemon another chance because it was so special to me once upon a time. Maybe Black 2 was just a crap game?

Turns out I was right and I adore X. I'm thirty three hours in and just got my third badge with a pokedex of 159. My starter was the frog because he can turn into a ninja and I don't remember his original name because I renamed him to Ribby.

I have to say that as much as I love the game it's not the same as when Blue came out and I was thirteen and there was ample supply to trade with. Pokemon was a social experience for me and I'm finding X to be more isolating as an adult.

I wish there were a more prominent multiplayer component and I wish I had people to trade with face to face like in the old days.

The multiplayer component is quite prominent, especially online.

Kinsei

Banned
Okay so.

Turns out I was right and I adore X. I'm thirty three hours in and just got my third badge with a pokedex of 159.

I actually think Black/White 2 are the best games in the series.

I'm glad you're enjoying X! If you want the other two starters just let me know and I'll give them to you.

Why are Pokemon hard to catch all of a sudden? A level 25 red health Chatot won't be captured and I threw a billion balls at a Mantyke. Nothing. I'm using ultra balls too.

Why do people like Safari Zone? I'd say it's one of the worst "mini-game" in the series.

Because Blue is the only poke game I've beaten and I thought it was fun. I've only played that game once. Considering getting yellow but not sure if it's worth it. I want to Soul Silver but it's expensive as fuck.

Kinsei

Banned
Why are Pokemon hard to catch all of a sudden? A level 25 red health Chatot won't be captured and I threw a billion balls at a Mantyke. Nothing. I'm using ultra balls too.

Different Pokemon families have different catch rates. Chatot for example only has a 3.9% catch rate. No clue why Chatot of all things has such a low catch rate.

Boss Doggie

Because Blue is the only poke game I've beaten and I thought it was fun. I've only played that game once. Considering getting yellow but not sure if it's worth it. I want to Soul Silver but it's expensive as fuck.

it's get tedious later on with later gens, and you'll see how Friend Safari is a major improvement soon enough

spiritfox

Some of the type advantages are obvious, like bugs and grass are weak to fire, or ice resists water. Ground nulls electricity cause lightning strikes the ground or something, steel is good towards fairy cause fairies are weak to cold steel according to fables, dark beats psychic but is weak to fighting cause sneaky rogues beat squishy mages but do nothing against armored warriors.

I guess just continue to play and it'll get better. It'll help to have an online pokedex around if you need help. Serebii's for example has damage taken from types in all individual entries.

Edit: Dark is weak to Bug cause underhand tactics don't work against a hive mind, just like mind reading and psychic stuff.

Pachimari

I also have a hard time remembering everything. I started with Red as a kid and finally came back with Black. Then went on to Y. The thing is, I haven't completed a Pokemon since Red.

Now I'm sitting with Omega Ruby because I'm #teamRed.

What are TM's?

I'm not sure which Eevolution to do.

There's Pokemon friendship outside of Amie (I hate this btw)?

I don't understand Pokemon daycare.
Yeah. Amie affection is a new mechanic, friendship is from gen 2. They're completely different (for some reason, Amie doesn't affect the old friendship stat). You can completely ignore Amie though unless you want Sylveon

Kinsei

Banned
I also have a hard time remembering everything. I started with Red as a kid and finally came back with Black. Then went on to Y. The thing is, I haven't completed a Pokemon since Red.

Now I'm sitting with Omega Ruby because I'm #teamRed.

What are TM's?

Technical Machines. Each one contains a move and you can teach that move to any Pokemon that can learn it. This includes Pokemon that can't normally learn it by leveling up.

Kinsei

Banned
How do I raise regular friendship then?

Walking with them, leveling up in battle, using certain items on them, and giving them juices from the juice shoppe. Their happiness lowers if they faint in battle or you use heal powder, energy powder, energy root, or revival herbs on them. You can increase the amount of happiness a Pokemon gains for each action by having it hold a soothe bell.

Busaiku

If one improves the friendship with ones Pokemon, what do you gain from it? Faster levelling? New moves?
Friendship only affects Return/Frustration and certain evolutions.
Affection can get you faster leveling, ability to prevent fainting/recover statuses (not in player battles), and Sylveon.

Kinsei

Banned
If one improves the friendship with ones Pokemon, what do you gain from it? Faster levelling? New moves?

Certain Pokemon can only evolve when their happiness is high. There are two moves in the game that have their power determined by happiness. The move return is stronger the higher that Pokemon's happiness is and the move frustration is higher the lower the Pokemon's happiness is.

Pokemon Sun/Moon needs a map.

By that I mean it needs a map that shows where you are under the game screen. Route 12 open spaces in the water and it's hard knowing where I've been. It would be helpful to have a map at the bottom fill in information of the area I'm in so I know if I've seen that entire area. As it is, your view is so limited and since it's a 3d game but can't turn the camera things get annoying.

Pachimari

I see. Interesting. So I shouldn't make Eevee happy if I want to avoid Sylveon.

Do any of the series protagonists have names? Like Red is Red, do any others have names?

Busaiku

I see. Interesting. So I shouldn't make Eevee happy if I want to avoid Sylveon.

Do any of the series protagonists have names? Like Red is Red, do any others have names?
Happiness is not Sylveon.
Happiness is for Espeon/Umbreon.

Red, Blue, Leaf
Ethan, Silver, Lyra
Brendan, May
Lucas, Dawn
Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, Rosa
Calem, Serena

Pachimari

Oh no. I thought the main characters didn't have names. I shouldn't have named Brendan my name then. :(

If I start over, do I lose my mythical Mew?

Kinsei

Banned
Oh no. I thought the main characters didn't have names. I shouldn't have named Brendan my name then. :(

Yes you do. I'm sure someone here would be willing to let you trade it to them and then trade it back once you make a new save file.

Busaiku

Yes, you do.
If you want to keep it, transfer it over to Pokémon Bank.
Or ask someone to hold onto it.

For the record though, besides Red and Blue, none of the names are canonical.
The characters never appear outside of their games, thus there's no way to tell.
These are just the first suggestions for the names outside of the version.

Pachimari

Yes you do. I'm sure someone here would be willing to let you trade it to them and then trade it back once you make a new save file.
Oh, I'll upload it to PokéBank, but I think I might just continue my playthrough now.

The characters never appear outside of their games, thus there's no way to tell.

Where are the names coming from? Is it just fans suggesting those names, and then they people stuck to it?

Kinsei

Banned
Yes, you do.
If you want to keep it, transfer it over to Pokémon Bank.
Or ask someone to hold onto it.

They are the names those characters have when you don't play as them. I'm pretty sure them appearing in the games with those names makes them canonical.

Busaiku

Where are the names coming from? Is it just fans suggesting those names, and then they people stuck to it?
When you name a character, you get certain suggestions.
The names used are the first options outside of the version names.

Since characters like May and Dawn have these names in the cartoon and are clearly based on the game characters, this is what fans refer to the characters as. But again, outside of Red/Blue, none are canon.
They are the names those characters have when you don't play as them. I'm pretty sure them appearing in the games with those names makes them canonical.
You can name your rival.

Kinsei

Banned
When you name a character, you get certain suggestions.
The names used are the first options outside of the version names.

Since characters like May and Dawn have these names in the cartoon and are clearly based on the game characters, this is what fans refer to the characters as. But again, outside of Red/Blue, none are canon.

Once again the characters appear in their games as NPC's if you don't pick them starting in Ruby/Sapphire. Leaf is the only one without a true official name IIRC.

You can name your rival.

No you can't.

Chase17

Started yellow. Accidentally replaced Pikachu's thunderbolt with quick attack almost immediately.

It's people like me that make it it take like 3 confirmations in new games.

Top Bottom