• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Edit: Dark is weak to Bug cause underhand tactics don't work against a hive mind, just like mind reading and psychic stuff.

nah

Kamen_rider_eurodata.png

Pachimari

Thinking of starting up Season 2 today. I never finished Season 1 as a kid, but I tried getting back into it last year, and I couldn't take anymore of Team Rocket. It just got really boring during those segments. How's Season 2? I can imagine it's more of the same or did it improve a little with pacing or plot?

Busaiku

Once again the characters appear in their games as NPC's if you don't pick them starting in Ruby/Sapphire. Leaf is the only one without a true official name IIRC.

No you can't.
Yeah you're right, I got confused because I usually go for default names regardless.
And you can still technically name your rivals in Johto, Sinnoh, and Black 2!
...but the other player character isn't your rival.

Chase17

Thinking of starting up Season 2 today. I never finished Season 1 as a kid, but I tried getting back into it last year, and I couldn't take anymore of Team Rocket. It just got really boring during those segments. How's Season 2? I can imagine it's more of the same or did it improve a little with pacing or plot?
Others will know better than me, but I'd say there's not much change with team rocket between the two. It's not until Unova that they stop appearing in every episode.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pokemon Picross is so damn addicting. But holy hell that 20x20 special stage is impossible. I guess I need more Pokemon that can be used on stages larger than 10x10.

Cathcart

So I bought Pokemon White back when it came out and I hardly played it. Decided to pick it up again this weekend because I'm thinking of transferring all of my old legendaries from gen 3 and 4 (all currently sitting in my copy of Platinum) to the bank and it looks like they have to get there through gen 5.

OK, so, is it just me or are the early options kind of terrible in this game? I'm up to the first big city (Castelia?) and aside from my starter (the grass guy) my team is just boring. What am I missing? I think my current team is grass guy, timburr, water monkey, blitzle and roggenrolla. Ug, even typing that was boring. Tell me it gets better, GAF.

Weebos

Banned
So I bought Pokemon White back when it came out and I hardly played it. Decided to pick it up again this weekend because I'm thinking of transferring all of my old legendaries from gen 3 and 4 (all currently sitting in my copy of Platinum) to the bank and it looks like they have to get there through gen 5.

OK, so, is it just me or are the early options kind of terrible in this game? I'm up to the first big city (Castelia?) and aside from my starter (the grass guy) my team is just boring. What am I missing? I think my current team is grass guy, timburr, water monkey, blitzle and roggenrolla. Ug, even typing that was boring. Tell me it gets better, GAF.

The game opens up more from after Castelia. There is a desert area North of there with a bunch of different Pokemon.

You may just not like the Unova pokemon though, they're personally some of my favorites which is why I love BW.

Pachimari

What Bank event did they have last year? What was that about?

Also I think I'm just gonna jump into Season 5 of the anime if the Unova region is where it gets better, or is the Unova region in a later season?

Also I think I'm just gonna jump into Season 5 of the anime if the Unova region is where it gets better, or is the Unova region in a later season?

the unova part of the anime is downright terrible

kalos is much better

Kinsei

Banned

The event last year gave you all three of the fully evolved Johto starters with their hidden abilities.

Cathcart

The game opens up more from after Castelia. There is a desert area North of there with a bunch of different Pokemon.

You may just not like the Unova pokemon though, they're personally some of my favorites which is why I love BW.

OK, cool, maybe I'll find something good out there. I think I just have to do the gym tonight then I'll head north. What's a good fire type in B/W if you didn't pick the starter guy?

Kinsei

Banned
OK, cool, maybe I'll find something good out there. I think I just have to do the gym tonight then I'll head north. What's a good fire type in B/W if you didn't pick the starter guy?

You can catch a Darumaka on route 4 or if you want to hold off for a little bit you could catch a Litwick (Ghost/Fire) just past route 7.

You can get Darumaka in the desert north of Castelia. Powerful little guy that'll help you throughout the game- particularly when he evolves, he hits like a truck.

Slight warning, though- Darumaka has an ability that trades some of its moves' accuracy for power. It's worth it, but it can be a little frustrating occasionally. He loses it for an ability built for raw attacking power on evolution.

240px-554Darumaka.png

Is anyone else doing anything for this year being the 20th and the launch of a new Gen?

Throughout the year I'm gonna play through each region doing something different, I'm playing Soul Silver and Yellow side by side right now. in Soul Silver I'm only using Bug types and in Yellow I'm only using Pokemon I've never used before. After these I'll do ORAS, then Platinum, then BW and maybe BW2 and finally end with XY. Not sure what kind of things I'll do in each game yet though, I really like having to have a shared type though.

joelseph

Is anyone else doing anything for this year being the 20th and the launch of a new Gen?

Throughout the year I'm gonna play through each region doing something different, I'm playing Soul Silver and Yellow side by side right now. in Soul Silver I'm only using Bug types and in Yellow I'm only using Pokemon I've never used before. After these I'll do ORAS, then Platinum, then BW and maybe BW2 and finally end with XY. Not sure what kind of things I'll do in each game yet though, I really like having to have a shared type though.

Thinking about doing something like this starting with the new eshop offerings. Is there any speculation on new bonuses in Sun or Moon for bringing up a Gen1 Pokemon through the other generations beyond ribbons?

Thinking about doing something like this starting with the new eshop offerings. Is there any speculation on new bonuses in Sun or Moon for bringing up a Gen1 Pokemon through the other generations beyond ribbons?

No, but I hope there is something, even if it's tiny. I also hope Pokemon transfered from Gen I (and possibly Gen II if they release those on the eShop) have a special caught location written up for them and not just something generic like "Distant Land" or "Faraway Place".

Cathcart

You can catch a Darumaka on route 4 or if you want to hold off for a little bit you could catch a Litwick (Ghost/Fire) just past route 7.

You can get Darumaka in the desert north of Castelia. Powerful little guy that'll help you throughout the game- particularly when he evolves, he hits like a truck.

Slight warning, though- Darumaka has an ability that trades some of its moves' accuracy for power. It's worth it, but it can be a little frustrating occasionally. He loses it for an ability built for raw attacking power on evolution.
Awesome, thanks! That guy looks cool, I will definitely keep an eye out.

I've only skipped 2 generations so far: 2 and 5. Working on White now but I'm sad to say I've never played Silver or Gold. So likely I'll be picking up Soul Silver (I played Platinum in gen 4).

Going to Japan agin later this year and I'm planning on buying the entire Pokemon store in Ikebukuro, lol.

Chase17

I was originally going to try and fill out a living dex alongside the release of Z (which I thought was coming). But now that a new gen is coming I can push that up. Going to just try to do it with the gen VI games. Also hoping to play through some of the past games. Going through yellow now. Next few weeks has Zelda TP HD, Pokken, and I've still got two FE emblem campaigns to go through so progress on that may be slow for a while.

Has anyone filled out the Pokédex just using the gen VI games? Would I just be better off trading up some Pokémon from older gens? Only Pokémon I may not be able to get for a while is Diancie since I missed that event. Although I don't think event Pokémon count towards Pokédex completion.

ZeroX03

Banned
This Mythical Mew collection packaging is very nice. Shame to rip it open. All the TCG stuff is very tantalizing. I can only imagine how crazed I would be as a kid.

I'm going pretty vanilla with my anniversary celebrations- a run through the games, one per generation, just catching and training the Pokémon I want to.

I've shipped everything into my Bank, and I'm starting with Yellow.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah. Amie affection is a new mechanic, friendship is from gen 2. They're completely different (for some reason, Amie doesn't affect the old friendship stat). You can completely ignore Amie though unless you want Sylveon

Yeah I hated how Pokémon amié didn't affect friendship, it's dumb to believe that a Pokémon is really affectionate towards you but hates your guts, the two just contradicted each other.

Sylveon is the only Eevee evolution looking hideous anyway.

Yeah I have commented on this before but as a gen 6 Sylveon is okay but as an eeveelutions it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Started yellow. Accidentally replaced Pikachu's thunderbolt with quick attack almost immediately.

It's people like me that make it it take like 3 confirmations in new games.

Ha ha I did that once in Pokémon Yellow when I mashed the button and replaced Charmeleon's Slash for Fire Blast.

I had to reset and do Blaine gym battle all over again.

One day I will have my picture taken next to that.

240px-554Darumaka.png

"Darumaka's droppings are hot, so people used to put them in their clothes to keep themselves warm."

Kyzer

Banned
Im playing through blue first then I'll be playing hgss. Thatll be it for me until sun/moon, unless I also manage to beat yellow and red haha.

shingi70

Banned

Playing through Blue and X right now. Over the summer will run through Yellow and OR.

Plus I have spoken coming soon.

DarkFlame

Banned
I think the reason why a Pokemon MMO isn't out yet,is because it would undermine humanity's future.People would abandon their marriage,kids and jobs and invest all their remaining savings and time just to be the best pokemon trainer in the world.That would mean global chaos,economy malfunction and serious social unrest,could possibly be the event that would mark the start of the Apocalypse..

Nintendo chose to give up huge profit for the best of humanity's future.Thank you Nintendo

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question regarding the eshop version of ORAS and saves.
If I copy the current save to the PC and delete the save in the game to start from the beginning will it be possible to go back to the previous save just by copying it back on the SD card?

I got the Pokemon n3DS bundle for $220 (with charger), I am so excite to re-experience a game I haven't played since I was 6-7 years old (I'm 22 atm).

Boss Doggie

they should really stop using miiverse posts of terrible players playing RBY as a sign of "old games being hard"

Boss Doggie

oh it's fun to laugh at them, but to use them as an argument towards "old games being hard" should be shot down

Chase17

Year of fake leaks begins!

Kind of want to enter this Kanto Classic so I can get Lance's Dragonige. Is it worth the humiliation of three defeats though. Hmmmm

Yes it is.

Chase17

On the main screen there should be an option for mystery gift. Then receive gift then click get via Internet.

Edit: Looks like you figured it out already.

Top Bottom