• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
all these people hating on the cutest grass final evo

435.gif

abd.gif

oh well, more Chesnaught for me

Azuran

Banned
Gen 6 has the worst final form starters and worst Eevee evolution in the series IMO.

It seems we have polar opposite taste when it comes to Pokemon haha. Let me guess, you hate the Vanillite line?

I like the Vanillite line. They're not close to my favorites but I think they're okay. Klink line were the "artificial" Pokemon that stole my heart in Gen V. They're the best!

Rizzi

Playing through Blue on the Virtual Console is really putting me in a Pokemon mood.
Kinda want to track down a copy of White 2.

Boss Doggie

Eh, needs more muscles.

see here's the thing a lot of people miss with Chesnaught's design

he is wearing armor, the lines on his body reflect that, his lack of brown fur reflects that, he is wearing a full suit of armor

if you want to see Chesnaught's muscles, you have to strip him

brinstar

The only starter whose design I'm really not keen on is Delphox.

And even I thought what I saw of it in the show looked okay, but it's idle pose in the games is really offputting to me.

Zalman

The only starter whose design I'm really not keen on is Delphox.

And even I thought what I saw of it in the show looked okay, but it's idle pose in the games is really offputting to me.
I really feel like its in-game model makes it look worse than it actually is. It looks fine most of the time.

Although most people seem to like Fennekin and Braixen, so at least that line isn't entirely useless.

MicH

O love the Chespin line. They're all so cute! Delphox line is pure trash. Fennekin is probably my least favorite starter ever. Braixen is really cool, though. Love the wizard/witch theme. Delphox ruined what good Brixhad going for it though

Nightbird

No matter how much you hate any of them no way Gen 6 starters are worse than Gen 5 starters.

Samurotts design has been ruined by him standing on all four limbs.

He needs to be standing on two.

Just look how different it'll look like:

samurott_by_folgers_draw-d3ebnl7.jpg

compared to

250px-503Samurott.png

It's like two different Pokémon.

brinstar

I'll never understand the hate the Gen 5 starters get. They're my fave set, visually. (my favorite individual starter is Torterra) Just sucks that Emboar is Fire/Fighting again.

Unova_starters_evolution_artwork.png

Zalman

I think Serperior and Samurott are fine. Emboar is my least favorite starter of all time though. The fact that it's another Fire/Fighting starter is just the icing on the already bland cake.

Chase17

Yeah, Emboar being the third straight fire/fighting kind of dampened my view going in. Especially after the greatness that was Infernape.

Now that there has been some distance Emboar has grown on me a little.

Rizzi

I've played through one game of every generation at least once, and for the life of me, I cannot remember anything about how X/Y ended. Like, at all. Every other game I can remember.

brinstar

I've played through one game of every generation at least once, and for the life of me, I cannot remember anything about how X/Y ended. Like, at all. Every other game I can remember.

It ends with the parade and you battling that AZ guy. The "It's been 3,000 years" moment where he reunites with his Floette has since become a meme, lol.

GoldStarz

Chespin's line is the only Kalos starter line that doesn't have a miss for me because I like Greninja but I'm not that keen on Froakie or Frogadier and I don't like Delphox but Fennekin is cool and Braixen is awesome.

Pachimari

I couldn't stand Fennekin since the reveal. She's just the kind of creature I would do evil mojo on.

My favorite starter trio after Gen I and probably II, gotta be V. I loved Snivy, and still do. That sneaky slick little ninja!

And that Tepig is oh so adorable. And Oshawott grew on me over the past two years, he's just a cool badass.

Chase17

Snivy just looks so smug. Especially in the mystery dungeon portraits. I love it.

I think I kind of lean towards grass type starters Even if grass itself is by far the worst of the three types.

GoldStarz

Snivy's line is also my fave. It's kinda weird because I usually am not the biggest fan of the grass starters but they've been my fave for the past two gens

Also here's hoping we get something of Sun/Moon in the Direct tomorrow (although I doubt it will happen).

On mobile so I can't quote
@doggie: People were disappointed on the info we got starting out for Gen VI compared to this new Gen, which is why they're looking for SOMETHING to satisfy them

Fireblend

Banned
I love the Gen VI starters. Best in a while. IMO Greninja is just one of the coolest Pokemon ever.

Anyway, it just occurred to me that Detective Pikachu came out in Japan about a month ago and I haven't heard anything in the way of impressions. How was it received in Japan? Anyone know? I did a google search but there's been like 0 articles about it after the trailer. I would have expected someone capable of giving impressions to have played it already...

And I'm not getting hyped for Sun/Moon info tomorrow. Really don't see them talking about anything Pokemon beyond Pokken.

JoeM86

I love the Gen VI starters. Best in a while. IMO Greninja is just one of the coolest Pokemon ever.

Anyway, it just occurred to me that Detective Pikachu came out in Japan about a month ago and I haven't heard anything in the way of impressions. How was it received in Japan? Anyone know? I did a google search but there's been like 0 articles about it after the trailer. I would have expected someone capable of giving impressions to have played it already...

And I'm not getting hyped for Sun/Moon info tomorrow. Really don't see them talking about anything Pokemon beyond Pokken.

It's quite well received. It's consistently in 3DS charts (Currently #6 on the eShop).

I wrote this for NintendoLife: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...clues_in_detective_pikachu_birth_of_a_new_duo

Fireblend

Banned
On the topic of Chestnaught, I feel his shiny form is way better than his normal color, the light sandy color just doesn't work. And Oshawott and Dewott are fantastic while Samurott is half baked. His back legs ruin it for me. Being a quadruped is fine, but those legs look silly, and you never see much of his swords. HECK, I didn't even know they were swords for a while after he was usable.

Zalman

I don't get Chesnaught. Like, I don't understand its design. I don't get how Chespin could turn into... that thing.

Daemul

After the PWT was brought up a few pages back in thread, I got a bit nostalgic and decided to load up an old Black 2 file to try it out again, which turned out to be a terrible mistake, because I got wrecked in the first round by fucking Misty. Triple battles are honestly a death sentence at times
KuGsj.gif

I don't know what it is about the World Leaders Tournament, but it always seems to pit me up against trainers who can completely destroy my team. Do you know that I've still been unable to beat Drayden in the PWT after all these years? His Haxourus annihilates me every time. Whenever I participate in a Unova Leaders or World Leaders Tournament I always have to pray that he doesn't show up.
KuGsj.gif

Boss Doggie

I don't get Chesnaught. Like, I don't understand its design. I don't get how Chespin could turn into... that thing.

A guy slowly develops an armor.

The problem with Chesnaught's evolution is that it's a bit harder to catch since it covers shit like ripening chestnuts and the concept of armoring. Lots of people think he only has a "back shield" when in fact he is a paladin wearing an armor, and said armor is inspired by layers of the nut

2910258-nature-series-ripe-chestnut-in-the-rind.jpg

Notice how Chespin and Quilladin feature brown bodies? That's pretty much the "inside" of a chestnut. Hence why I always say jokingly that if people wanted a brown Chesnaught, they have to strip him since he is wearing an armor, much like how you need to remove the shell of a cnestnut to see the brown nut.

It's one of those Pokemon that's hard to grasp and harder to realize due to the more intricate and subtle takings on the design, but once you do, it suddenly sparkles interest. I personally like Chesnaught (my favorite grass starter) because it's the most unusual out of all the starters.

So what are the best 'current' games?

I never got Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, how are they?

X&Y?

What did you guys think of HG and SS? I thought they were pretty great.

Am I forgetting something?

A guy slowly develops an armor.

The problem with Chesnaught's evolution is that it's a bit harder to catch since it covers shit like ripening chestnuts and the concept of armoring. Lots of people think he only has a "back shield" when in fact he is a paladin wearing an armor, and said armor is inspired by layers of the nut

2910258-nature-series-ripe-chestnut-in-the-rind.jpg

Notice how Chespin and Quilladin feature brown bodies? That's pretty much the "inside" of a chestnut. Hence why I always say jokingly that if people wanted a brown Chesnaught, they have to strip him since he is wearing an armor, much like how you need to remove the shell of a cnestnut to see the brown nut.

It's one of those Pokemon that's hard to grasp and harder to realize due to the more intricate and subtle takings on the design, but once you do, it suddenly sparkles interest. I personally like Chesnaught (my favorite grass starter) because it's the most unusual out of all the starters.
So basically they did it backwards? Instead of slowly evolving out of the shell it evolves back in?

Boss Doggie

So basically they did it backwards? Instead of slowly evolving out of the shell it evolves back in?

The idea is that it is "ripening" its armor to develop a shell. But otherwise yeah.

But I'd argue it's not backward. It's only backward if you view it as though you are eating a chestnut. I mean, why would it be backwards for a nut to develop a shell :p

The idea is that it is "ripening" its armor to develop a shell. But otherwise yeah.

But I'd argue it's not backward. It's only backward if you view it as though you are eating a chestnut. I mean, why would it be backwards for a nut to develop a shell :P

I uh...i dont know how to answer this. Lol

Nah i get you tho

Top Bottom