• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Zalman

In anticipation for Sun/Moon I started replaying X (because I still want to believe in those south Kalos theories, clearly, haha) and I'm having a nice time. It gets a lot of flak but I think overall Kalos is in itself a cool looking region and the fashion stuff in particular really pleases me.
I love Kalos and I'm sad it didn't get a third game.

That gap was marvellous- emphasised exploring the region, and all of the cool areas between Santalune and Cyllage.

The real problem was the fact that the gap was followed by half the region's gyms essentially being in consecutive towns, with little-to-no exploration in between. If they'd created a Pokémon game big enough to facilitate gaps like that between 1 and 2 that would have been brilliant, but as it is the game's whole progression is top-heavy and overbalanced.

I can't imagine how long a game like that would be! :O

It might even cause more cases of 7.8s.

GoldStarz

Still beats the legendary gap between the first and second gyms in XY.

The lack of ANYTHING of substance between the third and fourth gyms is way worse than the gap between the first and second. That gap is only bad because it makes you think you'll be playing a long but well-paced game rather than the gym rush that follows once you beat Korrina.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was trying to fish for Remoraid in Pokémon Crystal got the super Rod and rushed through the event to manget train powered up and rushed to route 44 and started fishing expecting that it would be a while till he popped up but after fishing up Poliwag and Magikarp I began to suspect that something was up.

So I checked a second source and turns out that Remoraid is not in Crystal despite what Serebii Pokéearth page for Crystal would say. Joe ya led on a wild rabbit chase. *shakes fist*

Ah well at least I found out early instead of wasting hours trying to fish him up.

Oh the brighter side Pokénn is out in two weeks, so can't wait to play it.

Watching Pokemon origins right now and it annoys me how dumb they make Red seem. He's ignorant on the most basic shit about Pokemon. He didn't even know about gyms and it looked like he was watching a battle at the beginning of the movie.

Yeah and it doesn't get any better, which is why I am baffled when people say that Red is better than Ash when he shows zero character development and he barely see his team as he just keeps using Charizard all the time.

Red is basically how little kids play Pokémon, just only use the starter.

I love Kalos and I'm sad it didn't get a third game.

Yeah, for me Kalos and Gen 6 really disappointed me but I still held out hope that the third version would the version that could redeem gen 6 in my eyes alas that wasn't to be.

I am still not going to judge gen 6 just yet till Pokémon Sun and Moon releases with some time for me to soak them but at the moment gen 6 is very likely to go down as the most disappointing generation with no redeeming factors.

yami4ct

I really wish Nintendo could send me an email when it was time to renew my Pokemon Bank sub. It's a once a year thing and I always forget. I just use it to transfer dudes back and forth, so I don't leave guys in there, but I'm always afraid I'm going to forget and lose my stuff.

I really wish Nintendo could send me an email when it was time to renew my Pokemon Bank sub. It's a once a year thing and I always forget. I just use it to transfer dudes back and forth, so I don't leave guys in there, but I'm always afraid I'm going to forget and lose my stuff.

You'd need to forget for like years to lose your stuff. The grace period is very generous. lol

Mr-Joker

Banned

I just wish that you can check your subscription without having the game in the cart.

Playing Omega Ruby and I just battled/caught Groudon and afterwards got the Eon Flute so I can fly on Latios and OH MY GAWD ITS AMAZING.

Pretty much renders Fly obsolete and I do hope it makes a return for Sun/Moon in some fashion.

GoldStarz

I am still not going to judge gen 6 just yet till Pokémon Sun and Moon releases with some time for me to soak them but at the moment gen 6 is very likely to go down as the most disappointing generation with no redeeming factors.

My thoughts for the most part. There were so many parts that should've been expanded upon and its seems like the new Zygarde lore could have held together a third game rather nicely but X/Y were the actual worst games in the series for me and while I enjoyed ORAS, they weren't really anything special.

I'm hoping a lot of X/Y was just growing pains from the transition into 3D because honestly if the next generation of Pokemon is as bad as Gen VI, I really don't think I'll be sticking around for future games.

JoeM86

CoroCoro is apparently coming earlier this month (11th) but I don't know what to expect...

Going by XY March gave us nothing about the games, and I don't expect us to get anything of value after the Pokemon Direct blueballed us. I imagine the biggest news will probably be about Volcanion's distribution and possibly some more info on Magearna (Type?) and nothing more.

But maybe it'll be a surprise...

No it's not. It's due out on the 15th this month just like every month which isn't August. http://corocoro.tv/next/index.html

Where did you hear it was early?

Mr-Joker

Banned
My thoughts for the most part. There were so many parts that should've been expanded upon and its seems like the new Zygarde lore could have held together a third game rather nicely but X/Y were the actual worst games in the series for me and while I enjoyed ORAS, they weren't really anything special.

I'm hoping a lot of X/Y was just growing pains from the transition into 3D because honestly if the next generation of Pokemon is as bad as Gen VI, I really don't think I'll be sticking around for future games.

Yeah OR/AS is pretty good but it can not represent gen 6 or the Kalos region as it's a remake of a gen 3 Hoenn game. Meaning that that it fell to X and Y to do that till the Kalos third game was released, which is clearly not happening.

Honestly for me it feels that Game Freak never intended to give too much focus on Gen 6 something that X and Y shows.

Kyzer

Banned
I agree the new stuff in ORAS is kind of buried and it's not like FRLG and HGSS where it stands on its own with its own unique flavor. It didnt help that the engine made it feel like X Ruby and Y Sapphire. That and the gane was definitely not rebalanced for all the new features like exp share and mega evolution lol. Still fun tho!

Chase17

I really liked both XY and ORAS. Dexnav was a really good addition for ORAS. I love having an easy way to see what's on each route. Plus finding specific mons.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to Pokemon though.

Seil

I like XY and ORAS, but they both disappoint me. I like the mechanics and quality of life improvements, but when I look at story and content as a whole package, Gen VI is a letdown. BW and BW2 beat XY for me and HGSS is a much superior remake when compared to ORAS.

I can't fault XY too much for being light on postgame since the first entries often are, but it's light even as far as light goes. ORAS I can't forgive in terms of postgame or new features, especially after HGSS. HGSS had a whole new safari system, a battle frontier, pokeathlon, pokewalker, a few legendaries and I know there are things I'm missing.

ORAS has soaring and the associated islands... dexnav which is neat, lots of legendaries, copy/pasted Maison(despite being the ORIGIN OF THE FRONTIER), revamped secret bases, a daycare with an infinite loop and uh... ... Oh also a watered down safari zone so that it has none of the safari aspects anymore. Awesome. Oh there's also Delta Episode which was neat.

There's not really any generation I hate. And I don't even know if I'd consider Gen VI my least favorite. But I definitely consider it a letdown in comparison to the things that came just before. I prefer playing Gen VI games due to quality of life and whatnot, though.

Chase17

Aaaah you're at the sixth gym already catching up fast. Sneak peek:the 7th is top tier stuff

Also trick room was used by Connor in the sinnoh league

Ahh, makes sense its been used before. I'll have to watch the sinnoh series down the line. Most seem to rank it as the best.

I've only seen Sawyer for a couple episodes but he has been non stop handed loses. Guessing that Alan is the more typical rival? He is in the opening but haven't seen him yet outside the mega evolution episodes yet.

Ahh, makes sense its been used before. I'll have to watch the sinnoh series down the line. Most seem to rank it as the best.

I've only seen Sawyer for a couple episodes but he has been non stop handed loses. Guessing that Alan is the more typical rival? He is in the opening but haven't seen him yet outside the mega evolution episodes yet.
Yea sawyer is like a student at this point and i wouldn't call alan a rival really either they're on opposite sides I'll leave it at that

Refyref

I haven't played ORAS, but from everything I've seen, it doesn't seem to fix most of the issues I've had with the originals, which are my least liked games in the series. Maybe I'll try the remakes myself at some point in the future, though.

Ionic

I'm not up to date on Pokemon anymore so I don't see the promotional stuff, but my girlfriend frantically messaged me today that there was a Mew giveaway at Gamestop that she just learned about. Is there still a way to get a code from their stores? You guys would know best.

yami4ct

I'm not up to date on Pokemon anymore so I don't see the promotional stuff, but my girlfriend frantically messaged me today that there was a Mew giveaway at Gamestop that she just learned about. Is there still a way to get a code from their stores? You guys would know best.

Giveaway ended up a couple weeks ago. Most stores were out of codes even before then, though. Your best bet would maybe be to call some less trafficked stores and see if there were any leftovers. Barring that, buy a code off of eBay or beg here and other pokemon communities.

Ionic

Giveaway ended up a couple weeks ago. Most stores were out of codes even before then, though. Your best bet would maybe be to call some less trafficked stores and see if there were any leftovers. Barring that, buy a code off of eBay or beg here and other pokemon communities.

I see. Ebay seems to have them going around 7 to 10 dollars. Does uh... anybody want a reasonably priced Steam game for a code? She has a NA 3DS but is currently in Australia. I don't know if that affects things. I feel bad mucking up a discussion thread with buy requests.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so one of the sticker merch in pokemon pan (or is it from another food?) is this

637YZ8x.jpg

Rambo is returning

So what's so special about HGSS? Playing through it again and I'm up to the last gym. I know it's based on a Gameboy title, but the region is seriously bland. So is the Pokedex so far. I'm really missing the variety found in 6th gen. It says a lot that I'm using Kadabra as my "ghost counter" and that Gyarados and Seadra are featured in a dragon gym...

It's fun cause it's Pokemon, but I could be getting the same fun plus a lot more in other games.

Zalman

So what's so special about HGSS? Playing through it again and I'm up to the last gym. I know it's based on a Gameboy title, but the region is seriously bland. So is the Pokedex so far. I'm really missing the variety found in 6th gen. It says a lot that I'm using Kadabra as my "ghost counter" and that Gyarados and Seadra are featured in a dragon gym...

It's fun cause it's Pokemon, but I could be getting the same fun plus a lot more in other games.
The variety of Pokémon really peaked with Gen 6. HGSS is loved mainly because of nostalgia and the fact that it has two regions to explore.

Nightbird

so one of the sticker merch in pokemon pan (or is it from another food?) is this

637YZ8x.jpg

Rambo is returning

Ash can count himself lucky that there's no Ice/Electric type Pokémon. This would be his worst nightmare right now.

Wich means it's the perfect Pokémon to introduce in the League to make him lose to!

Busaiku

Heart Gold had Pokémon that followed you around.
And the Pokéwalker.

Variety prior to Black 2 was always a huge issue.

Black 2 was still the best though.
Catching wild Eevee was beautiful.

yep that's johto for you one of the blandest regions

Rizzi

Heart Gold had Pokémon that followed you around.
And the Pokéwalker.

Variety prior to Black 2 was always a huge issue.

Black 2 was still the best though.
Catching wild Eevee was beautiful.

Black 2 lets you unlock a harder difficulty. I wish they kept going with that. Obviously in a way that wasn't completely stupid though.

Chase17

If Goodra comes back I just want him to fly in some episode. It would be nice to see him return to the group. Ash has answers for ice types anyways.

Is there a way to unlock Shadow Mewtwo in Pokken without the card? Or does it just let you unlock him sooner. Think I want to get the game digitally.

Weebos

Banned
I see. Ebay seems to have them going around 7 to 10 dollars. Does uh... anybody want a reasonably priced Steam game for a code? She has a NA 3DS but is currently in Australia. I don't know if that affects things. I feel bad mucking up a discussion thread with buy requests.

Might not be that helpful, but Celebi is being given away this month via online mystery gift. If she has an NA 3DS I assume she can probably download it, even in Australia.

The mythical Pokemon are being given away every month in 2016, next month is Jirachi.

Anyone play any of the ROMhacks, or RPG maker based fan games? Playing through Pokemon Glazed right now and I'm having a hell of a time. Well, there was a bit of difficulty spike somewhat early on that could have been avoided if I managed to catch a certain Pokemon so that was frustrating. It's enjoyable, though. I'm really digging the region thus far. Being able to choose between 5 starters is also a nice change of pace. I went with Riolu.

Weebos

Banned
Anyone play any of the ROMhacks, or RPG maker based fan games? Playing through Pokemon Glazed right now and I'm having a hell of a time. Well, there was a bit of difficulty spike somewhat early on that could have been avoided if I managed to catch a certain Pokemon so that was frustrating. It's enjoyable, though. I'm really digging the region thus far. Being able to choose between 5 starters is also a nice change of pace. I went with Riolu.

The only ones I've really enjoyed are Drayano's hacks (BlazeBlack, etc.)

I've messed around with a several others, but ultimately couldn't handle the writing. I played Snakewood the most, mainly because of how dumb it was.

The only ones I've really enjoyed are Drayano's hacks (BlazeBlack, etc.)

I've messed around with a several others, but ultimately couldn't handle the writing. I played Snakewood the most, mainly because of how dumb it was.

Word. I've combed through countless fan made games, but the bolded part is what I had issue with the most. Now, I understand that a lot of these are created by non-native English speakers, but I can only read what's in front of me and man I've seen some hot garbage. Not just from a dialog perspective, but spelling/grammatical errors as well. Some of the highly recommended games are unplayable due to the writing. That, or the flow and balance of the game is completely off. Light Platinum is highly regarded, but the writing is atrocious and they just throw Pokemon at you. No thanks.

Despite having a few minor spelling errors, Pokemon Glazed is pretty damn legit. It's definitely the best fan made game I've played so far.

Weebos

Banned
Word. I've combed through countless fan made games, but the bolded part is what I had issue with the most. Now, I understand that a lot of these are created by non-native English speakers, but I can only read what's in front of me and man I've seen some hot garbage. Not just from a dialog perspective, but spelling/grammatical errors as well. Some of the highly recommended games are unplayable due to the writing. That, or the flow and balance of the game is completely off. Light Platinum is highly regarded, but the writing is atrocious and they just throw Pokemon at you. No thanks.

Despite having a few minor spelling errors, Pokemon Glazed is pretty damn legit. It's definitely the best fan made game I've played so far.

I'll have to check out Glazed at some point then. Yeah, I've been unable to stomach most of the "top" ROM hacks, it's why I stick to Drayano's since he only alters gameplay.

Top Bottom